General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

police chief called on the phone

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 06:12 PM

asking for a donation. treating him like any other telemarketer I just hung up the phone. be my guest and "black ball" me. Pretty sad if a police chief has the time to ask people to donate to the county association. with so many people driving around with wallet cards and stickers, you'd think they already have enough money. everybody wants a handout these days it's sick. just look at how many techies have lost their jobs in the last 2 months.
Old 04-17-2001, 06:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it sux

Money greedy bastards, i donated $78 when a local police officer gave me a moving violation worth 4 pts.
Old 04-17-2001, 06:16 PM

what voilation is 4 points?
Old 04-17-2001, 06:22 PM

It varies by state. In NY:

speeding 11 to 20 over, tailgating, and having bad brakes are 4 'point' violations, while reckless driving is only a 5 point violation. NYS gives you 11 points to 'spend' on moving violations every 18 months.
Old 04-17-2001, 06:28 PM

Stupid Moving Violation

Not speeding surprisingly, passing in a no pass zone, but i was making a left turn and decided that since there was so much traffic up ahead to cut the one car in front of my to make my left turn, WHILE I HAD A GREEN ARROW so no oncoming traffic but of course the cop decided to pull me over, it was the end of the month and right after school. The next week i see 2 cars do the same thing and the cop sitting there again, but he didn't pull out.
Old 04-17-2001, 06:29 PM

when....

Do i hav emy points reset, i live in NJ, 4 pts sucks i am only allowed 7 or something since i am 17.
Old 04-17-2001, 06:37 PM

From NJ DMV website:

What are motor vehicle points?
Motor Vehicle Services (MVS) tracks your driving behavior by adding points to your record when you are convicted of a moving violation. The more serious the violation, the more points you are assessed. The schedule at the right shows a list of violations and their point values.

Will I receive a notice telling me how many points I have?
During the first two years that you are licensed, you're on probation and will receive an advisory notice when you commit your first point violation. If you receive two or more violations totaling four or more points, you must complete the probationary driver program.
After that, MVS will send advisory notices whenever points-assessed violations are added to your driving record and the point total is 6 to 11.

At what point level will MVS take action to suspend my license?
For a total of 12 or more points on your driving record, MVS will issue a notice of scheduled suspension of your driving privilege.

How long will point violations remain on my driver record?
All point violations earned since March 1, 1974 remain on your driver history record. However, this record differs from your current driver status that equals the point total minus the point credit reductions.

Can points be removed from my current MVS driver status?
Yes, but your point total will never go below zero. Up to three points will be subtracted from your point total one year after:

your last point violation; or

your license was restored; or

your record for the past year was violation and suspension free; or

the last time annual safe driving points were subtracted from your record (whichever is later); or when

you complete an MVS driver improvement program offered to problem drivers selected by MVS. (You can receive credit a maximum of once every two years.); or when

you complete a probationary driver program. You can receive this credit only once in a lifetime.

Up to two points may be subtracted from your point total after:

you complete an MVS approved defensive driving course. Credit is given for one program every five years.

NOTE: None of these reductions apply to insurance surcharge point totals.
Old 04-17-2001, 10:58 PM

heh....i know people who have donated like $10 and gotten stickers from the police office and they stick it in the back of the window and they have never gotten a ticket but they've been pulled over
Old 04-18-2001, 04:24 AM

Yeah, I have two speeding tickets. One from 09/97 and one from 04/00. My insurance company only cares about the one from 2000. Some cops are cool/others are ****s. The one is '97 wrote me for going 60mph in a 55 mph zone. (I was really doing 88 mph) The one last year didn't help me out at all.
Old 04-18-2001, 11:11 AM

MaximaRider

I was under the impression that tickets out of state, no matter what they are, only transfer to NJ as 2 points. I'm still fighting my ticket from NY, so I'm not positive.
Old 04-18-2001, 04:33 PM

In NYS, only tickets from Ontario and Quebec transfer. I'm still trying to figure out that one.
Old 04-18-2001, 05:32 PM
mrdeucie

Can't you get 4 points taken off for taking the defensive driving course. That's what I was led to believe.

Old 04-18-2001, 05:41 PM

Yeah, it takes off the points.
Old 04-18-2001, 06:05 PM

I rather

save that defensive driving course for my next ticket, they don't transfer, but i got a ticket in my hometown so of course i got screwed.
Old 04-19-2001, 07:05 AM

Re: I rather

Originally posted by MaximaRider
save that defensive driving course for my next ticket, they don't transfer, but i got a ticket in my hometown so of course i got screwed.
Here in NJ, they tell you not to send money to any police group soliciting over the phone. All solicitations for PBA and FOP (?) are done in person. There is a scam where scumbags solicit and donate about 2% of the money collected and keep the rest as "admin expenses".

Also, the points may be erased on your license for the defensive driving course, but they still count on your insurance in NJ. That means you'll still be getting your annual butt reaming in the form of the annual surcharge. At least that's the way it used to be.
Old 04-19-2001, 08:53 AM
OG and counting...

IL has a point system that is used internally with the Secretary of State's office. The only thing is that the point numbers are kind of high (e.g. Speeding=50 points).

But generally, you can have a ticket not even hit your driving record by taking a course, then chilling out for a year under supervision.