General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Small Question For the Pro's

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 02:52 PM

Well maybe not for the pro's but I have a question to ask.

I turn on my headlights and my clock goes dim, do I have a short? Could this small problem turn into a big one? It just bugs me is all, as the dash lights or radio don't dim just the clock.

Thanks,
Rob
Sin city
95 auto black
Old 04-19-2001, 03:04 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by maxse91

well im not sure if this is the answer, but mabye during the day its its brighter because its harder to see it.At night when you turn on your lights its going to be the same brightness as the rest of your instruments, this may be dimmer then during the day, but now it dosent stick out and can be controlled by the dimmer switch.
but if if it not happening to your radio then mabye im wrong cause the same concept will apply to anythign thats lit up during the day like the radio
Old 04-19-2001, 03:08 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

This is normal... clock dims when parking lights on

Originally posted by Gumby510

I turn on my headlights and my clock goes dim, do I have a short? Could this small problem turn into a big one? It just bugs me is all, as the dash lights or radio don't dim just the clock.

Thanks,
Rob
Sin city
95 auto black
Old 04-19-2001, 03:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

I don't think you have a problem. Mine does that too. I think at night you don't need as much illumination to see the clock so if it's dark enough to need headlights, then it's dark enough to see the dimmer clock.

Thanks,
Rob
Sin city
95 auto black
Old 04-20-2001, 06:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah, it is normal. Mine does it too. So did my Prelude and a bunch of other cars I have driven.
Old 04-20-2001, 07:43 AM

Happens to my car too.

It's helpful during the daytime because I'll notice the dim clock when I'm about to turn off the car and get out. I'll remember to turn the lights off, which aren't as apparent when there's still day light out.
Old 04-20-2001, 08:46 AM

Actually, the clock dimming is normal. At night, the brightness with the dim is just right. However, if you are like me and turn on the headlights when it starts to get a little dark, but not pitch black yet, then the dim clock is a major annoyance. Like on a foggy or rainy day, the clock is like invisible it is so dim (and I have the dimmer switch turned all the way up). Luckily I have an aftermarket deck and I set the brightness on that way up so I can just look at that clock.

As for the dim clock reminding you that your headlights are on, the Maxima actually has a better reminder. The key chime will ring if you open the door with the headlights on (and no key in the ignition). It's not as good as Honda, where the warning is a different sound than the key chime, or Toyota, which turns off the headlights automatically, but it's better than nothing.
Old 04-20-2001, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Eric L.
Actually, the clock dimming is normal. At night, the brightness with the dim is just right. However, if you are like me and turn on the headlights when it starts to get a little dark, but not pitch black yet, then the dim clock is a major annoyance. Like on a foggy or rainy day, the clock is like invisible it is so dim (and I have the dimmer switch turned all the way up). Luckily I have an aftermarket deck and I set the brightness on that way up so I can just look at that clock.

As for the dim clock reminding you that your headlights are on, the Maxima actually has a better reminder. The key chime will ring if you open the door with the headlights on (and no key in the ignition). It's not as good as Honda, where the warning is a different sound than the key chime, or Toyota, which turns off the headlights automatically, but it's better than nothing.
that's true...the chime is a good reminder too... a combination of both is even better!
Old 04-20-2001, 11:48 AM

Thanks

Hey thanks for the answers fellas

P.s Just got my Diamond clear bumber lights they look sweet.

Rob.
Old 04-20-2001, 12:20 PM

Re: Thanks

Hey thanks for the answers fellas

P.s Just got my Diamond clear bumber lights they look sweet.

Rob.
I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. They look so good!
Much better than the cloudier regular ones!!!
Old 04-20-2001, 02:14 PM

It's a one-wire mod

Thanks,
Rob
Sin city
95 auto black
The digital clock is designed to go dim when the lights are on. If you want the clock display to remain at high intensity when the lights are on...

1) Remove the clock. This may be done with a small flat-blade screwdriver. Insert the screwdriver blade between the lower right hand corner of the plastic dashboard clock panel and the adjacent softer dash board. Slowly pry the panel up. Continue this at all four corners of the contoured panel until the metal snaps which anchor the panel are loose. Remove the panel by pulling outward and downward.

2) Note that the clock's electrical connector has four wires. Cut the wire which is red with a blue tracer.

3) Install the clock panel. It just snaps into place.