General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

SC / fuel pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2000, 06:31 AM
Maxima Enthusiast

After having a SC in my car for over a year, I finally got around to installing a fuel pressure gauge over the weekend. My car has been running without any problems but I don't seem to have the 1/4 times the other SC'ers have. My best time has been 14.6 sec @98mph with 2.25 sec 60' time. Most of the time, I run around 14.7 to 15.3 @95-98mph with 60' time of 2.3-2.5sec. I have a 5sp by the way with typical mods that most SC'ers have including a 3.48" pulley.

My fuel pressure at idle reads around 35. Under WOT, the gauge shows that my pressure only goes up to 45 at max. Typically it hangs around 41 to 43. When I called Stillen about it and asked them what the pressure should be, they informed me that it should be around 35 at idle, but should jump up to above 70 under WOT. According to my unreliable air/fuel meter, I am running rich at WOT. I do have another fuel pressure gauge I am going to try in order to eliminate the possibility that it's my meter.

Any suggestions on what I can check or do or what I can eliminate would be grately appreciated.
Old 10-05-2000, 01:18 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I think it suppose to be around 50psi at WOT->

How are you getting the FP reading? An autometer electrical gauge? Did you get the shortsweep version? Mine broke after few weeks. MardigraMax did too. It's the sender that goes bad. I got a new sender and it's working fine now. Anyway, Easy way to check FP. Get a cheap mechanical gauge and tape that sucker to the windshield. Do a few runs and you will get the most accurate reading from mechnical gauges. I would really try hard to figure if your FP is low during WOT. It's going to kill your engine if you don't fix. It's going to run lean when you are boosting. REally really bad.
Old 10-05-2000, 05:50 PM
Matt_P

Re: I think it suppose to be around 50psi at WOT->

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
How are you getting the FP reading? An autometer electrical gauge? Did you get the shortsweep version? Mine broke after few weeks. MardigraMax did too. It's the sender that goes bad. I got a new sender and it's working fine now. Anyway, Easy way to check FP. Get a cheap mechanical gauge and tape that sucker to the windshield. Do a few runs and you will get the most accurate reading from mechnical gauges. I would really try hard to figure if your FP is low during WOT. It's going to kill your engine if you don't fix. It's going to run lean when you are boosting. REally really bad.
What if you KNOW you are running lean? What's the next step in researching? Why am I running lean?

Matt P.

Old 10-05-2000, 06:16 PM

I noticed at least 60lbs at WOT

I would first check to make sure your secondary fuel pump is hook up and working properly. Do you hear the secondary fuel pump when the ignition key is turned foward? Any kinks in the fuel hoses?
Old 10-05-2000, 06:21 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Re: Re: I think it suppose to be around 50psi at WOT->

I don't have a supercharger, so I can't really give you specifics. I would check the fuel pump, the lines and finally the injectors. There aren't many parts in the fuel system, so something is either broken or toped out.

Tony

What if you KNOW you are running lean? What's the next step in researching? Why am I running lean?

Matt P.

Old 10-05-2000, 07:03 PM
Matt_P

Re: I noticed at least 60lbs at WOT

Originally posted by SteveChicagoSC
I would first check to make sure your secondary fuel pump is hook up and working properly. Do you hear the secondary fuel pump when the ignition key is turned foward? Any kinks in the fuel hoses?
Yes, the secondary fuel pump is on. It makes noise. Whether or not its pumping all the way is another story.

Matt P.