General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Gas Prices

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 11:25 AM
JUGSMAX

How much is 92 or 93 octane cost a gallon where you live at now? Me; East Tennessee 93 octane $1.69...How about you?

Old 04-20-2001, 11:29 AM

In Pittsburgh, even in the surrounding areas

In the Pittsburgh area it's $1.69 - $1.79.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:51 AM

Yikes!!! It's as high as $2.06 in Los Angeles, Ca for 92 octane
Old 04-20-2001, 12:35 PM

Bay Area ~$2.15 for 93.
Old 04-20-2001, 01:31 PM

It's about $1.80 in NYC (Queens) and $1.60 in NJ (Jersey City)...

It came down a little while ago, but it's coming back up, slowly but surely...
Old 04-20-2001, 01:33 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

In San Diego gas is $1.99 - 2.06 for 92.
Old 04-20-2001, 01:50 PM

just went up here in Western NY... was $1.55/gal a few weeks ago, but now it's $1.77/gal for 93 octane
I can't imagine paying over $2/gal... wow...
Old 04-20-2001, 02:01 PM

$1.79 in DFW, TX
Old 04-20-2001, 04:07 PM

1.89 for high octane here in Memphis. 1.60 at Costco. This sucks, I remember back in the days when I was driving my CRX and gas got down to 69 and 79 cents for regular. 7 and 8 dollars to fill up the tank in the CRX...and it ran for 250 miles. Now it takes 20-something to fill up the tank and I get 350 per fillup.... gas really needs to come down some.....
Old 04-20-2001, 04:55 PM

there is a protest going on to help reduce the price of gas. Says not to buy from 2 of the largest manufactures such as Exxon and Mobile!! So less people will buy from these companies, price should drop. there you go
Old 04-20-2001, 05:09 PM

news said its gonna go up to 3 bucks, dang.....
Old 04-20-2001, 05:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's around the $1.79 around the Harrisburg, PA area. I can't afford to be paying $23 to fill up my tank every few days. I hope it goes down soon, but I have a feeling I'll be paying like $2.00 a gal.
Old 04-20-2001, 07:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

double whammy

we get kindof a double whammy here.

Portland is really close to the NH/Mass border, so we get a little of that Boston North Shore inflation. That's whammy #1. Whammy #2 is that we're like the gateway to Maine -- everyone who comes to Maine in the summer (and that's a LOT of freakin people) goes through Portland. So the summer season naturally the prices go up since demand is so much higher. I'm bumming because Supreme is already $1.80 up here. I said $1.75 earlier but I was out cruising tonight and noticed $1.79 and $1.80 seems more common.

Dang!
Old 04-20-2001, 08:57 PM

that honda that makes 70 mpg dosent look to bad now.
Old 04-20-2001, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by mtrai760
In San Diego gas is $1.99 - 2.06 for 92.

$1.89 for 93 in ohio.

Mtrai760, put that sung hee sig in front of your car, i'm sure i'll make it faster (Cuz you stomp on the gas harder to reach her )
Old 04-20-2001, 09:10 PM

$2.09 and rising daily for 93 octane in northern IL
Old 04-20-2001, 09:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm paying about $1.69 in western NY

Group buy on gas?
Old 04-20-2001, 09:58 PM

it's $1.91 here in washington DC.
some expensive petrol !!!!

-s1rch
Old 04-20-2001, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by s1rch
it's $1.91 here in washington DC.
some expensive petrol !!!!

-s1rch

Cheaper than milk, though. And almost as good on cereal!

Old 04-20-2001, 10:38 PM

we need some group deals on gas now lol
Old 04-21-2001, 12:50 AM
Mr Super Baller

Last week it was $1.71
Two days ago it was $1.91
In Oxnard, CA

Old 04-21-2001, 02:06 AM

You guys should be here...

Regular goes for $.95 AUD per liter- just under four liters per gallon and 1 USD per 2 AUD so we're about about $1.90 for regular- I'll have to check on premium. I was out away from Perth over Easter weekend and paid $1.03 AUD per liter. Here the gas prices go up and down each day by 2-5 cents- busy days have higher prices, slow days have lower prices!
Old 04-21-2001, 04:30 AM

amazing rising prices

No justification either. We don't pay what it's truly worth, because by world standards $2.40/gal is cheap. But we're the USA, we don't care what the rest of the world does, we deserve the highest standard of living!

C'mon, where else can anyone afford a BMW at age 16, or a Maxima? Funny nobody on this board is from Europe. I paid over $4 per gallon in 1997 there when super was $1.049 in my neighborhood. All that money that the gasoline retailers pocketed, and look at how they work for it: no air, no windshield washer fluids, basically nothing more than a set of pumps that take credit cards.

My folks used to think you had to work to succeed, boy were they wrong! haha
Old 04-21-2001, 09:28 AM

Around 86 cents a litre here in Toronto, Ontario for 91 Octane

That translates to about $2.11 per US gallon, damn!
Old 04-21-2001, 09:34 AM
Autobahn Max

Okay...gas prices here in Europe are very high. Right around $4.50 a gallon for 93 octane. Luckily, I get my gas at a reduced rate of about $2.00 a gallon. I can buy gas at local gas stations using coupons. I'm glad about this because I've filled the car up and would have had to pay nearly $80.00 if I was paying full price.

People are still driving SUV's over here...and paying $4.00 or more a gallon for gas!

Old 04-21-2001, 10:56 AM
EBroz

The last time I checked the price of 93 here in MA it was up around $1.73, BUT I went on thursday, you know you gotta do the thirfty thursdays when you can. 10 cents off. That brought it below what 89 was selling at per gallon. Sorry, it was at Exxon in Woburn.

Old 04-21-2001, 12:02 PM

$2.30 for 93 octane in San Francisco.

Gas prices are NOT high in Europe because gas retailers are 'pocketing' it.

The gas prices are that because that is the cost of gasoline (plus transporting it and selling it). Why is it so cheap in the US then? Because our government subsidizes the cost of gasoline.

If they stopped doing that, you'd see our gas prices shoot up to European levels.

Boycotting a particular companies' gasoline won't help -- everybody gets the gas for the most part from the same place, OPEC, which charges all gas companies the same rate.
Boycotting all gas companies for a few days (like they've done before) has zero effect, as everyone is back to fuel up the next week.

The only way to make an impact without getting extremely political is to drive less. Consume less gasoline.

We have a constant, guaranteed demand for gasoline in America. That demand has been going up with gas guzzlers like SUVs coming into style. There is a limited supply of gasoline (OPEC limits the rates, so that one country doesn't so at dirt cheap rates and then cause all these countries which depend on their oil sales for survival to go into extreme poverty). A guaranteed, increasing demand a steady limited supply means higher prices.

Just be glad our gas prices are subsidized. Sometimes I wish they weren't -- then MAYBE we'd get less people buying gas guzzlers. Then again, maybe not.
Old 04-21-2001, 01:18 PM

I say we send troops into all countries who sell oil and take them over

The countries just don't *feel* like barreling that much oil, so they restrict how much they barrel everyday and thats why prices are so high. If we go in there and take the countries over or soemthing we can ship most of the oil over here and the rates would be VERY cheap. I'll prolly get *****ed out for this but oh well, I think our country should just move in...I can barely afford gas.

PJ
Old 04-21-2001, 01:33 PM

Re: I say we send troops into all countries who sell oil and take them over

Originally posted by speednsound007
The countries just don't *feel* like barreling that much oil, so they restrict how much they barrel everyday and thats why prices are so high.
That's because oil is a finite resource.
If you have X amount of resources and once it's used up, they'll never be anymore (in a reasonable amount of time), do you sell it all in 1 year for $0.01/gal and then have your countries collapse the next year when they have no resources to sell? Or do you ration it out?

It's not that they just don't *feel* like barreling it. It's because it's financially idiotic to flood a market with a finite resource, a resource that you can't get any more of once it's gone.

If we go in there and take the countries over or soemthing we can ship most of the oil over here and the rates would be VERY cheap.
What do you think the Gulf War really was? *cough*Kuwait*cough*
Old 04-21-2001, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Jesse93GXE

The gas prices are that because that is the cost of gasoline (plus transporting it and selling it). Why is it so cheap in the US then? Because our government subsidizes the cost of gasoline.
{snipping more silliness}

Just be glad our gas prices are subsidized. Sometimes I wish they weren't -- then MAYBE we'd get less people buying gas guzzlers. Then again, maybe not.
Ummm? What are you talking about? The US Government does NOT subsidize gas prices at all. In fact, there are considerable federal taxes on it. Are you silly or misinformed or joking or what?

The reason prices are so high in Europe is because of additional taxes. I'm not saying one way or the other is necessarily best, but it's quite ignorant to be saying that the US Government subsidizes gas prices.
Old 04-21-2001, 03:13 PM

Re: 22

Originally posted by acitrano

Ummm? What are you talking about? The US Government does NOT subsidize gas prices at all. In fact, there are considerable federal taxes on it. Are you silly or misinformed or joking or what?

The reason prices are so high in Europe is because of additional taxes. I'm not saying one way or the other is necessarily best, but it's quite ignorant to be saying that the US Government subsidizes gas prices.
You are right. It seemed as if the poster took my response to mean that the European retailer was making scratch. If that isn't bass-ackwards. Buy a piece of Kosta Boda crystal from Ahlens in Stockholm and you pay more there than in NYC for the same piece. Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out, the US Govt. is paying for some of the crystal you buy in NYC...ahahaha

My point is petrol has not doubled in price in Europe since 1997, but it has where I live. That was a joke, $1.049 for super, it was wonderful. But business doesn't work that way, big oil was losing big money so it was certain that artificial shortages would emerge.
Old 04-21-2001, 09:53 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

It's on the rise in NYC...

I could swear just last week I filled up for like 1.73$ for 93, yesturday.... 1.81.. crap, and I get 12 miles per gallon, a bit expensive to travel 50 miles a day

My brothers Corolla is resting in my driveway for months, being used once in 2 weeks, hmmmm what is that, 28 mpg city? hmm... We should all get 4 cyl beaters with manual gear boxes for these "hard times" I work for gas money.
Old 04-21-2001, 11:45 PM
rstclair52

Gas just went to 1.779 for 92 octane here in Boise Idaho.
People around here like to complain that we have the highest gas prices in the country. But judging from the replies to this thread it looks like we are only average. I guess the only thing to do is suck it up and get on with life.

Old 04-21-2001, 11:52 PM

The cost of gasoline is indeed subsidized by the US Government in America.

It's subsidized in the forms of tax breaks for the US oil companies.

Details on the various subsidies can be found at the International Center for Technology Assessment, among numerous other sources. Exact amounts will vary, but there's no argument from expert sources that the US spends billions every each subsidizing gasoline.

Here's some excerpts from the ICTA report at http://www.icta.org/projects/trans/rlprexsm.htm (more detailed version in pdf format at http://www.icta.org/projects/trans/realpricegas.pdf):

There are several tax breaks that directly benefit oil companies. Federal tax breaks that directly benefit oil companies include: the Percentage Depletion Allowance (a subsidy of $784 million to $1 billion per year), the Nonconventional Fuel Production Credit ($769 to $900 million), immediate expensing of exploration and development costs ($200 to $255 million), the Enhanced Oil Recovery Credit ($26.3 to $100 million), foreign tax credits ($1.11 to $3.4 billion), foreign income deferrals ($183 to $318 million), and accelerated depreciation allowances ($1.0 to $4.5 billion).

Additionally state's often undertax oil companies and oil is often given special petroleum taxes in place of sales tax which are lower than the sales taxes.

This doesn't even begin to factor in other less direct ways the US subsidizes US oil companies and oil supplies in general, like maintaining military presence in oil strategic regions (kuwait for example), the national strategic petroleum reserve and infrastructure and cleanup subsidies.

If you want to find out more on it, do some net searches or go to your local library and take out some books on the topic. If you just want to ignore it or disagree for whatever reason, that's your choice, but I won't argue over it. Best to keep it friendly, you know?
Old 04-22-2001, 02:01 AM

You guys are all lucky bastards!!!!! You should come visit Hawaii (paradise island) Here in Maui, we pay $2.43/gal for 93 octane gas. self service and almost $3 bucks at the full service lane. The price we pay for living in paradise (i guess)
Old 04-22-2001, 02:58 AM

This isn't true- back last August I saw that the price of gasoline itself was a few cents less than in Europe- the difference in price was the difference in taxes with Europe having a significantly higher tax. Also Europe's taxes tend to be a percentage while in the US it's usually cents per gallon. So in Europe when gasoline does go up, it goes up about double that due to the high level of taxes.

If they stopped doing that, you'd see our gas prices shoot up to European levels.

Boycotting a particular companies' gasoline won't help -- everybody gets the gas for the most part from the same place, OPEC, which charges all gas companies the same rate.
Boycotting all gas companies for a few days (like they've done before) has zero effect, as everyone is back to fuel up the next week.

The only way to make an impact without getting extremely political is to drive less. Consume less gasoline.

We have a constant, guaranteed demand for gasoline in America. That demand has been going up with gas guzzlers like SUVs coming into style. There is a limited supply of gasoline (OPEC limits the rates, so that one country doesn't so at dirt cheap rates and then cause all these countries which depend on their oil sales for survival to go into extreme poverty). A guaranteed, increasing demand a steady limited supply means higher prices.

Old 04-22-2001, 03:20 AM

Let me make it clear that, yes, *relative to the US*, Europe has much higher taxes on gasoline.

Why? Because the US gives *tax breaks* to US oil companies. Another name for those tax breaks are subsidies.

So both statements are true. European gas prices are higher due to taxes. The US federal government (and state ones, typically) give subsidies to US oil companies in the form of tax breaks. Result: cheaper gas prices in the US.
Old 04-22-2001, 08:02 AM

excellent

Originally posted by GEEzerTom
This isn't true- back last August I saw that the price of gasoline itself was a few cents less than in Europe- the difference in price was the difference in taxes with Europe having a significantly higher tax. Also Europe's taxes tend to be a percentage while in the US it's usually cents per gallon. So in Europe when gasoline does go up, it goes up about double that due to the high level of taxes.

Great point. Have you noticed how "program cards" are being cancelled? For the last 7 years you could get a 4% rebate on all gas that you bought. You think they want to give you $0.08 off every gallon you buy? They want to give you 0.03 or less, these rebates cut into big oil and little retailer's profits because it's a fixed 4%. So the answer is to revoke the program.

This is how bold the retailers have gotten. When regular was 0.849, super was 1.049 (24% higher). Last time regular shot up to 1.709, super was only 1.809 because of the "elasticity of demand," meaning as the price of super goes up, some people switch to regular, so they couldn't get the 0.20 cents more per gallon, which by the way is a greater % on 0.849 than 1.709. Today? They have bumped the price of super the full monty baby.

To the other poster:
Please, all corporations get mucho tax benefits. I just read an annual report on a stock I own and their effective tax rate was 31.7%. A far-cry from the 40+% that we always envision for US corporations. They attribute "leasing and financing activities, lower state and local taxes, and 'lower taxes attributable to international sourced income'" as the reason. You think Cisco didn't just write down their inventory for tax-benefits at the shareholders' expense? I'm in the 31% tax-bracket myself and you better believe I'd do what it takes to lower my effective rate.
Old 04-22-2001, 11:00 AM

Yes, so now tack on the special oil specific tax breaks to all the other tax breaks special companies get.

Even lower tax rate, saving oil companies, and oil companies only, billions of dollars.

If you don't want to call billions of dollars of tax breaks for oil companies and only oil companies 'subsidies', then don't, but it doesn't change what they are.

What would you like to call billions in tax breaks to oil companies, on top of all the other tax breaks corporations get? A christmas present?

Europe doesn't have some beef (no pun intended) against gasoline and therefore try to tax the heck out of it and make it expensive. Europe tends to tax gasoline just like any other chemical product -- it doesn't give European oil companies any special breaks. If the US government stopped giving these tax breaks (subsidies) to US oil companies (and only them), US gasoline prices would be closer to European levels.
Old 04-22-2001, 11:16 AM
mind21_98

The cost of gasoline is indeed subsidized by the US Government in America.

It's subsidized in the forms of tax breaks for the US oil companies.

Details on the various subsidies can be found at the International Center for Technology Assessment, among numerous other sources. Exact amounts will vary, but there's no argument from expert sources that the US spends billions every each subsidizing gasoline.

Here's some excerpts from the ICTA report at http://www.icta.org/projects/trans/rlprexsm.htm (more detailed version in pdf format at http://www.icta.org/projects/trans/realpricegas.pdf):

There are several tax breaks that directly benefit oil companies. Federal tax breaks that directly benefit oil companies include: the Percentage Depletion Allowance (a subsidy of $784 million to $1 billion per year), the Nonconventional Fuel Production Credit ($769 to $900 million), immediate expensing of exploration and development costs ($200 to $255 million), the Enhanced Oil Recovery Credit ($26.3 to $100 million), foreign tax credits ($1.11 to $3.4 billion), foreign income deferrals ($183 to $318 million), and accelerated depreciation allowances ($1.0 to $4.5 billion).

Additionally state's often undertax oil companies and oil is often given special petroleum taxes in place of sales tax which are lower than the sales taxes.

This doesn't even begin to factor in other less direct ways the US subsidizes US oil companies and oil supplies in general, like maintaining military presence in oil strategic regions (kuwait for example), the national strategic petroleum reserve and infrastructure and cleanup subsidies.

If you want to find out more on it, do some net searches or go to your local library and take out some books on the topic. If you just want to ignore it or disagree for whatever reason, that's your choice, but I won't argue over it. Best to keep it friendly, you know?
Also include how much pollution autos spew into the air (esp. those darn SUV's). If everyone commuting to LA used the Metrolink, etc instead of their cars, there'd be at least a 50% cut in smog. Also companies would save more because their workers arrive on time, therefore being able to do more. Us Americans don't know how well we have it these days, just be glad you're not paying $5 a gallon. Or we can switch to liter pricing so the prices can appear to be lower...

Quick Reply: Gas Prices