General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Who's the lightest Max on the Org??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 10:33 AM
is invisible

That's STUNNING!
Old 12-22-2004, 12:30 PM
Father of the 00 VI

I will be 2500'slbs range with full interior in 05
Old 12-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Old Maxima Legend

hey you need to treat yourself to a beer after getting all that sound deadening out, i started with a flat head screw driver, and quit after i banged up a finger and started breaking a sweat, lol !
Old 12-22-2004, 07:46 PM
Old Maxima Legend

in race trim noise level really kicks up a few db's ! lol, -- (exhaust, rocks, sand, road, wind and the hum of your tires.) with my max when i put the interior back its sounds much quieter but not like when the car was stock. I did manage to get the sound deadening off over each tire and i can hear the tires a turning much more.

hey its a small price to pay for a race spec maxima, lol ! sounds better to me at the track too. you can hear the exhaust just screaming at wot .
Old 12-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
in race trim noise level really kicks up a few db's ! lol, -- (exhaust, rocks, sand, road, wind and the hum of your tires.) with my max when i put the interior back its sounds much quieter but not like when the car was stock. I did manage to get the sound deadening off over each tire and i can hear the tires a turning much more.

hey its a small price to pay for a race spec maxima, lol ! sounds better to me at the track too. you can hear the exhaust just screaming at wot .
Have you ever had a chick get inside and think it sounds like an old bucket how loud the interior is?

I think I am just getting old or something, I feel old. Me and my "wife" just want quiet and stealth looking.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:18 PM
2060lbs and falling...

The chicks that I hang with all know they better not complain about my car otherwise they can ride with someone else. They also know that the Max is a beast despite being a de-stereotypical car.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:17 AM

I know the hood and the trunk will take off alot of weight. Because I replaced my hood with a cf hood and it is so light. I can feel the weight difference because my hood struts are broken.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:57 AM

[QUOTE=japmaxSE]These past 2months I've been working on my car doing the Hybrid swap and I just keep getting more and more ideas to make more power and less weight. This might sound crazy to others but I don't care. This car is only going to be for weekend racing.
QUOTE]

you forgot to remove the windows and cover them with clear plastic-whatta hell it is clear noone will ever notice. Also, the seats. You can swap them out and weld the light aluminum beach chairs too. In addition, you stop eating for a week so you come down from 154 to 145 lbs. After all, you may shave off half a second off of your 1/4mi to get someone's approval. j/k

i understand you are trying to be different and all, but 4dr sedan for a racer...cmon bro
Old 12-23-2004, 08:16 AM
Go Get a Life!

[QUOTE=Y2KMaxGXE-R]
Originally Posted by japmaxSE
These past 2months I've been working on my car doing the Hybrid swap and I just keep getting more and more ideas to make more power and less weight. This might sound crazy to others but I don't care. This car is only going to be for weekend racing.
QUOTE]

you forgot to remove the windows and cover them with clear plastic-whatta hell it is clear noone will ever notice. Also, the seats. You can swap them out and weld the light aluminum beach chairs too. In addition, you stop eating for a week so you come down from 154 to 145 lbs. After all, you may shave off half a second off of your 1/4mi to get someone's approval. j/k

i understand you are trying to be different and all, but 4dr sedan for a racer...cmon bro
Let me clarify some things people may not understand, This is not intended in anyway to be a pure racing beast. I'm only removing things that are not necessary. I just want my car to look as normal as possible with all seats in, such as a sleeper and just pretty much have it for weekend Fun.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:10 AM

Let me clarify some things people may not understand, This is not intended in anyway to be a pure racing beast. I'm only removing things that are not necessary. I just want my car to look as normal as possible with all seats in, such as a sleeper and just pretty much have it for weekend Fun.
jee the power steering of course it is not necessary, and some extra metal too? hell take the front fenders off they are just bolted on. You can put donuts on all 4. Funny how some ppl just bored in their lives
Old 12-23-2004, 10:18 AM

I wonder how much all this will knock of the 1/4 mile times...
Old 12-23-2004, 10:21 AM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by Y2KSilvahSE
I wonder how much all this will knock of the 1/4 mile times...
100lbs = about .1 tenth.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
jee the power steering of course it is not necessary, and some extra metal too? hell take the front fenders off they are just bolted on. You can put donuts on all 4. Funny how some ppl just bored in their lives
I find it funny that you find it funny that his hobby of choice is funny

Please do tell what your hobby of choice is so i can find that funny and i will probably think you are bored with your life because you have the time to make stupid comments about peoples hobbies but dont have time to do your hobbies that you enjoy so much.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:47 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by dmontzsta
100lbs = about .1 tenth.
.1 of a tenth is a hundredth.

Here is my 2 cents on the effects of weight reduction in the 1/4 mile:

100lbs = .1 second if you are around 3500lbs curb weight

75lbs = .1 second if you are around 2500-3000lbs.

50lbs = .1 if you are around 2000lbs.

These are VERY rough estimates. But you get the idea. If you remove 50 lbs from a 100lb go cart, it would make a HUGE difference. If you remove 50lbs from a semi truck, the difference would not be noticable.

In my personal experience, if I remove 75-80lbs from my Maxima, I will shave one tenth. This is from my experience on the track, research I've done, and the 1/4 mile simulation programs I've used.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:39 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
.1 of a tenth is a hundredth.

Here is my 2 cents on the effects of weight reduction in the 1/4 mile:

100lbs = .1 second if you are around 3500lbs curb weight

75lbs = .1 second if you are around 2500-3000lbs.

50lbs = .1 if you are around 2000lbs.

These are VERY rough estimates. But you get the idea. If you remove 50 lbs from a 100lb go cart, it would make a HUGE difference. If you remove 50lbs from a semi truck, the difference would not be noticable.

In my personal experience, if I remove 75-80lbs from my Maxima, I will shave one tenth. This is from my experience on the track, research I've done, and the 1/4 mile simulation programs I've used.
actually agree with you but from what ive seen take
100lb's off 3500lb car = 1 tenth
75lb's off 3000lb car = 1 tenth
50lbs off 2500lb car = 1 tenth
Im not saying exactly but around that area
Old 12-23-2004, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by krismax
I find it funny that you find it funny that his hobby of choice is funny

Please do tell what your hobby of choice is so i can find that funny and i will probably think you are bored with your life because you have the time to make stupid comments about peoples hobbies but dont have time to do your hobbies that you enjoy so much.
I just disagree that decided to alter the body of the car and removed the power steering, that may give him only a marginal improvement but may reduce the structural stiffness and jeopardize his safety. You can go on and play with other just like yourself
Old 12-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Ford Only.

Weight doesnt matter on the freeway and that is what I drive the most. 110 freeway miles per day nice and quiet.

Old 12-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Go Get a Life!

I just disagree that decided to alter the body of the car and removed the power steering, that may give him only a marginal improvement but may reduce the structural stiffness and jeopardize his safety. You can go on and play with other just like yourself
Wow this guy has issues

I guess he doesn't read the Dyno Threads, or know anything about my car
Old 12-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Kevlo for President

Weight doesnt matter on the freeway and that is what I drive the most. 110 freeway miles per day nice and quiet.

Lighter the car, better MPG....
Old 12-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Im confused i didnt see in the title of the thread "dmontzsta must weight reduce and the way i choose" Its not getting done to your car why worry
Old 12-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Father of the 00 VI

If he is jeopardizing his safety thats his right if he chooses. People who smoke die everyday i bet you dont go up to them and tell them there stupid and jeopardizing there safety. People do it every day its called taking riskes ,people do it just to make stupid movies that you watch.

So my advice to you is "Go die the way that suits you best" scene from RETURN OF THE KING
Old 12-23-2004, 03:44 PM

Try sanding down to bare metal and respraying with a minimal amount of tinted primer and not more than 1 coat of clear. Paint has weight too.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:50 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

my car went on a diet again! i must have worked 2 hours and only removed 5-6 lbs of misc. metal under the hood.

I was just thinking, what are you light weight guy going to do about ride height, spring combos, and other suspension tuning? I dont want my car to get taller as it gets lighter....but I like my Eibachs' spring rates.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why wont you guys run some light weight batteries as well.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Ford Only.

Im confused i didnt see in the title of the thread "dmontzsta must weight reduce and the way i choose" Its not getting done to your car why worry
You are right! But! The cool thing about the Maxima had always been the luxury/performance factor...stripping them down just doesnt make it the same. Then when you sell the car someone is going to end up with a loud **** car.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:25 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
Why wont you guys run some light weight batteries as well.

some here do.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:57 PM

I know.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:18 PM
4th Gen Parts King

You are right! But! The cool thing about the Maxima had always been the luxury/performance factor...stripping them down just doesnt make it the same. Then when you sell the car someone is going to end up with a loud **** car.

I also have a stripped interior. I have been riding with no carpet for the last couple months. My car is no louder than a lower model car other than i can here the rocks hit.
It may be a liitle louder than stock but thats a sacrifice for better acceleration and mpg.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:33 AM
be the change u want2C

I remember when I striped my car for the trax, didnt take off the sound crap, it sounded like my exhaust was roaring all the time, like I was out side, But yet it still was surprisingly quiet.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:37 AM
is invisible

If he is jeopardizing his safety thats his right if he chooses. People who smoke die everyday i bet you dont go up to them and tell them there stupid and jeopardizing there safety. People do it every day its called taking riskes ,people do it just to make stupid movies that you watch.
Is it his right to jeopardize the safety of others?

3000lb hunk of metal vs. some tobacco rolled up in paper...there's a BIG difference.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:02 AM
is invisible

Get some lipo or drive nekkid.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:04 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by SonicDust187
I know.
also some smaller batteries are no good for daily use. Some just dont hold enough juice. Jime's car didnt start after a couple of days sitting. Also it died in staging once from the fan switch left on. Not sure what battery he had that time.

I would like to find a lighter battery that wont sacrifice CC power, reserve, and wont break my wallet. Anyone know a good choise?
Old 12-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Go Get a Life!

Originally Posted by JSutter
also some smaller batteries are no good for daily use. Some just dont hold enough juice. Jime's car didnt start after a couple of days sitting. Also it died in staging once from the fan switch left on. Not sure what battery he had that time.

I would like to find a lighter battery that wont sacrifice CC power, reserve, and wont break my wallet. Anyone know a good choise?
I'm also curious to know about the lighter battery but I already purchased an Optima Bat., and also I'm going to install the battery in the trunk, any suggestions before I do this??.
I just like it when the engine bay looks nice and clear of clutter....
Old 01-01-2005, 01:57 PM

I know the 3.5 Bottom weighs less than the 3.0 anyone know by how much?
The VQ35DE weights in at 35lbs less than the VQ30DE.

Personally, I like weight reduction but right now I'm not going all out. I know my car should weight 3010 lbs stock (1995 SE), 3170 with me. I am aiming for 2900 + driver next year. The entire exhaust probably weights a good 70-80 pounds less than the stock one, and another 35 for the VQ35. So I should be under 2900 which I'm fine with. The important thing is for the car to look stock.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:33 PM
VQ Wizard

My car is 2900lbs before driver at the track. And I know that no matter what I do, it will never be as light as Krismaxxs' car.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:45 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Originally Posted by JSutter
I was just thinking, what are you light weight guy going to do about ride height, spring combos, and other suspension tuning? I dont want my car to get taller as it gets lighter....but I like my Eibachs' spring rates.
I have the same concern. I don't want to have to get new springs but I know its going to be nose high once the swap is done. I guess some FLTA's or D2's are required. And there again is another substaintial amount of weight saving.

This is on page 2 of my homepage.

Since I removed the EGR system I do not need any coolant flow through the EGR port in the IM. I trimmed off all the excess parts related to that to save weight. I also trimmed off all but one of the mounting points on the bottom of the UIM.

In my effort to further reduce clutter from the engine bay I removed the coolant line that flows through the TB and on to the EGR port. I inturn reduced weight without effecting the idle. I removed the fast idle cam and thrermoresistor set in the TB. I then cut away all the excess aluminum to reduce weight.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:13 PM
This is a democracy

wow dude... thats alot of work
Old 01-02-2005, 12:02 AM
Ford Only.

I think 2,900-3,000lbs is a perfect weight for a street Maxima.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:11 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I think 2,900-3,000lbs is a perfect weight for a street Maxima.
I think 1500 lbs is the perfect weight for a Maxima. But, it really wouldn't be a Maxima anymore, would it? LOL Like that Sentra on that Nissan Magazine article.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:32 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

^^^ that sentra hauled some major a$$.....and well looked like a go cart.

wow broaner you a cuckin' frazy!

Quick Reply: Who's the lightest Max on the Org??