General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

does anyone know.... help is appreciated...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 06:42 AM

does anyone know.... using the steps that i found doing a search on alternator changing (thanks Daniel B. Martin), how long approximately this job takes? I'm pretty sure mine died last night....not cool at all!! also, anyone who has done this or may have any insight on this job.. it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Randy

Replacing the alternator is a job which may be done by the home mechanic. It is not especially difficult but will be time consuming. You will need a floor jack, a set of sturdy jackstands, and an assortment of common hand tools.

1) Make a written record of the radio station presets.

2) Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

3) Raise the vehicle and support it on jackstands.

4) Remove the two plastic splash shields which interfere with access to the alternator.

5) Loosen the drive belt idler (tensioner) pulley and then remove the drive belt.

6) Remove the A/C compressor mounting bolts. There are four of these bolts.

7) Remove the cooling fan and fan shroud.

8) Slide the A/C compressor forward.

9) Disconnect the alternator harness connector.

10) Remove the alternator upper bolt and lower bolt.

11) Remove the alternator from the vehicle.

Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. As the final step, use the notes made in step 1 to restore the radio station presets. Set the clock to the correct time.

Old 04-22-2001, 07:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Be sure to check your belt tension. I replaced the alternator on my 3rdGen a few months ago. I was on my back in a mud puddle in the middle of a dirt/gravel parking lot. Since it was my first time, it took me a couple of hours. I was constantly double checking things.

I don't know about 4thGens, but on my car, it was MUCH easier to drop the alternator and then disconnect the wires. Some of those plugs are hard to get to when the alternator is still in the car. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2001, 07:39 AM

thanks Pervis.... I'll check the belt tension... that's a good call... it was dark outside last night when i first had problems... so i haven't really had a chance to look under the hood... regardless... i just know that i've never done an alternator before and I really don't want to get in "over my head" in something too difficult. I'm gonna try to work on it today.... thanks again...

-Randy