General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

? For The Auto Insurance Experts

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 02:53 PM

? For The Auto Insurance Experts

some chick ran a stop sign today and caused me to hit her......i was driving my 95 maxima which i have $1000 in TOTAL.....it messed up the driver's side headlight, foglight, and bumper light, the fender, hood, front bumper and some plastic shroud pieces, and it pulls now and also noticed that there are a couple of new CEL codes now.....she had insurance with alfa and they're ready for an estimate to repair it, but here's my question....

is there any way i can work out something with the ALFA rep so that instead of fixing the car, they'll just give me some money instead....i can get it mostly fixed on my own and there are other banged up places anyway...already have it driveable, but don't see the point in repairing it all only to still have a car not worth what the repair bill will probably cost.....nissan parts aren't cheap....anyone know anything about this and what my options are...
Old 12-28-2004, 02:57 PM

I dont know how things work where you live but the insurance guy will check your car and send you a check for you to do whatever you please, whether its fixing your car or spending it on cheeseburgers.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:11 PM

well, it happened at lunch today, but the lady called and simply said to go get an estimate....i've never handled this before, been a passenger in someone else's car during a wreck and never caused one, only have insurance because i have to......that would be great if they'd cut me a check....damage is gonna be at least $1500 i'm guessing....the parts are bad enough that they can't be repaired (bent good in the creases and just overall banged up) but not bad enough it can't be driven......i could spend $500, have it in very decent shape and 100% reliable, then spend the rest on another ride
Old 12-28-2004, 03:19 PM

Either way your going to get a check, whether your insurance guy comes and does the estimate and takes pictures or you get estimates from shops... they dont MAKE you take your car into the shop. Depending on what your deductible is you'll get a check and do as you wish with it.
You can save the money and do the work yourself which is what I would do.
But your supposed to let your insurance know as well with the police report... that way the insurance companies handle it... its up to you
Old 12-28-2004, 03:26 PM

it's the other driver's insurance company (she's 100% at fault as well)....but if it works out so that i can fix on my own and spend the rest on another auto, then that would be great......i just can't afford downtime with this car right now......
Old 12-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Stop rambling on already. WHo cares what happened? It was her fault, get an estimate, give it to her insurance, take the check and do whatever you want with it.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
Stop rambling on already. WHo cares what happened? It was her fault, get an estimate, give it to her insurance, take the check and do whatever you want with it.
you obviously care enough to reply an 1/8th of a day later, smartass...
while digging through your bag of sarcastic remarks, you failed to see the REASON i replied, i wanted it to be clear that it was her insurance paying and not mine, as the guy who posted prior to me seemed to think......for someone who averages 400 posts a month (all are as pertinent as this one i'm sure) you've failed to understand what a car forum consists of.....basically the same stuff over and over...and over......exactly how much are you paying a month to keep this board pruned of BS such as this post and the one above