General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

PLEASE HELP!! Is there a recall on 97 Max for VENT CONTROL VALVE or EVAP CANISTER????

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 12:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My MIL indicator came on about 2 months ago. I diagnosed it and reset the switch and now the light keeps coming on with the same error 09 03 and 07 05 or something like that, which is vent control valve and evap canister. I've reset the switch 3 times this past week and I'm getting irritated. I called the dealer to schedule an appointment. They said they are not aware of any recalls for this problem on 97 Maximas. He said the 96 had a recall but NOT 97??? I don't want to get shafted by the dealership for $200 dollars worth of unneccsary work. Can someone tell me if there is a recall on this problem for 97 Maxima SE and if there is where I can find, so I can print it show the dealership so I don't get screwed. The dealerships seem to never want to do any service for free unless it's under warrantee. I've got 36k on my car now. I don't this some MIL should be coming on for no reseaon. I don't over fill my tank and always make sure the cap is on tight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Madd Maxx
Old 04-23-2001, 01:11 PM
kierandill

Originally posted by Madd Maxx
They said they are not aware of any recalls for this problem on 97 Maximas. He said the 96 had a recall but NOT 97??? I don't want to get shafted by the dealership for $200 dollars worth of unneccsary work. Can someone tell me if there is a recall on this problem for 97 Maxima SE and if there is where I can find, so I can print it show the dealership so I don't get screwed.
Madd Maxx
No recalls of ANY kind on 97 or 96 Maximas:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/
but there is a technical service bulletin that reads:

Service Bulletin Number: NTB98029A
Bulletin Sequence Number: 174
Date of Bulletin: 9806
NHTSA Item Number: SB601728
Make: NISSAN
Model: MAXIMA
Year: 1997
Component: FUEL:FUEL EMISSION CONTROL
Summary: VEHICLES EXHIBITING A MIL 'ON' WITH ONE OR MORE OF THE BELOW DTCS STORED, THE CAUSE MAY BE INSECT NEST(S) IN THE EVAPORATIVE ( EVAP ) EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM. *YC

Old 04-23-2001, 01:27 PM

i had the same thing happen to my '97 about a month ago... Daniel Martin game me some sweet advise on what to check... i know i saw a post regarding the checking of the EVAP canister which is located above the driver's side rear wheel well... i'll try to locate this, if someone doesn't get to post it before I do..
Old 04-23-2001, 01:57 PM

here is what i could come up with... if you have any further questions, i would advise you to ask Daniel B. Martin... he really knows his stuff...

-Randy

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0903 points to a problem with the EVAP canister Vent Control Valve. EVAP = EVAPorative emissions control system. This is the system which seeks to minimize air pollution which results from evaporation (as opposed to incomplete combustion) of gasoline.

The EVAP CVCV is located on the EVAP canister (underneath the vehicle near the left rear tire) and is used to seal the canister vent. It has one hose connection and one two-wire electrical connector. The solenoid in the EVAP CVCV responds to signals from the ECM. When the ECM sends an ON signal, the coil in the solenoid valve is energized. A plunger then moves to seal the canister vent. The ability to seal the vent is a necessary part of the diagnosis algorithms for other evaporative loss system components. This solenoid valve is used only for diagnosis, and usually remains open. When the vent is closed, under normal purge conditions, the evaporative loss system is depressurized allowing "EVAP Control System (Small Leak)" diagnosis. Since this part is used only for brief emissions tests the vehicle will usually start and run well despite a Service Engine Soon warning light on the dashboard.

The EVAP CVCV may be bench tested. Remove it from the vehicle (one hose, one connector, two bolts). Verify that air may pass freely through the valve. Then use a pair of fused test leads to apply 12 volts to the terminals to energize the solenoid. Verify that air does not pass freely through the valve. If the CVCV fails these tests, try cleaning it with WD-40 and compressed air. If this fails to free it up, replace the valve. When you install a CVCV (the original or a replacement) always use a new O-ring.