General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Question about Apex Super AFC and ITC??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 01:25 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I was reading about these two products since my friend is considering them for his Eclipse GST, and I was wondering about their functinality on N/a vehicles. Basically I understand that the AFC adjusts the air flow readings from the maf and makes certain changes to the fuel system(richen or lean) in order to compensate(am I right?) I see the benifit of this in forced induction cars, but would there be any benefits or "gains" in using this on an N/a vehicle? or is its purpose more along the lines of A/F ratio correction rather than HP addition? Also the ITC seemed interesting since it allows you to adjust(retard or advance) the ignition timing according to rpm/throttle position along the powerband. Once aain I see the advantage when using his HP adders like nitrous, turbos and SCs when timing retardation is necessary, but any gains or benefits on an N/a? I know some of us third gen guys have in "one shot" advanced the timing and left it at 20(from stock 15), but would it be of any advantage to spread this advance out along the power band and even better use it in conjunction with a performance ignition system(ie-Jacobs Ice Pak)? So far I know of two guys using the AFC (one 3rd and one 4th gen Max), but I've never seen any of their reactions about the product and its final performance!

was that long enough for ya.... any feedback would be real cool!!
Old 04-23-2001, 05:18 PM
I'm needing a caw

Yeah fuel altering devices are available for the maxima but timing altering devices are not. If both were available then an modified ecu might not be necessary.
Old 04-23-2001, 05:38 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Yeah...

that was gonna be my next question...there would really be no need for the ITC(ignition controller) since the JWT upgrade seems to take care of timing advancament thorughout the RPM range. basically I guess it would be a waste since I doubt it would "double" the affects on the timing! as for the AFC I'm thinking of purchasing it after I get the ECU(after the intake, exhaust are done) since thats when Apexi and HKS suggest that AFC tuning will be most beneficial on N/a engines. they said low-end gains can be expected, but who knows...if I got some extra cash lying around this summer I'll give it a shot! thanks for the feedback Jeff!

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Yeah fuel altering devices are available for the maxima but timing altering devices are not. If both were available then an modified ecu might not be necessary.