General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

So happy! Beat a current Gen Prelude VTEC Base Model

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 10:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

For you new york guys. I was on the cross island west bound. When I come up on a blue car moving at a good pace. About 70mph. I'm going about 80-85 though. And I pass him. I notice its a current gen prelude base model. Wasnt an SH, so its faster. I slow down to see if he wanted to play. It was almost 1am. So no cars and a great day. I slow down and he doesn't bite. I cruise at about 60 to wait for him. He hangs back. He doesn't bite. So I just give up and I whip the 90 agree sweeper at the end of the cross island parkway. Next thing I know. I see a set of high beams comming up on me. Its the lude. He gets the jump on me and uses momentum to fly by. I'm going about 70mph and shift into 3rd (auto). I keep it floored. And to my freakin surprise.. I WALK HIM! And even before I topped out 3rd. He got a initial 2-3 car lead on me at least from the fly by. And I still walked right past him! Not all that slowly either! We both slow down a bit for traffic. Then I see him going at it again. I say screw my exit and I follow him on the whitestone expressway to astora blvd. On that stretch of highway. I walk him again!! Again he got a jump and I walked right past him. I put on my hazzards and slowed down. He was cool and didn't road rage or anything.. He slowed down. We slowly rolled to a red light but it turned green. So we kept rolling. We caught a red. He opened his window and said "Hey". He was really cool. He asked me if my car was stick! =) I was like no, its auto. And I asked him if he was sport shift. I didn't expect to walk a 5-speed lude. He said NO, its a 5-speed! I was like wow, what happened. He said he didn't know. But it wasn't a fluke, I took him twice. He said he was really surprised that I took him on the high end. =D So he said he wanted to go light to light. But he got excited and took off before I could launch. With a bogged launch. I was able to keep his lead at only 3 cars before we hit the next light. He wasn't pulling away at all.. If anything, I was reeling him in again.. =D So I had a good night today.. Too wired to sleep now.. =) BTW: He had an exhaust, probably intake too. I could hear his VTEC pretty good. Usually means intake.

ZuM
Old 04-24-2001, 10:21 PM

Hey Zum,

What mods do you have?

By the way good kill.
Old 04-24-2001, 10:23 PM

Same mods you have, but auto.. =) For performance, intake, Y-pipe. Wasn't like the dude couldn't drive either. From the light, he was chirping 2nd gear and shifting fine. And at highway speeds it doesn't even matter.

ZuM

Originally posted by Canuck
Hey Zum,

What mods do you have?

By the way good kill.
Old 04-24-2001, 10:24 PM

Good to know next time I see a lude.
Old 04-25-2001, 01:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

APRIL FOOLS!!!... right?
Old 04-25-2001, 02:29 AM

?

Nice kill! But you know that an Auto Maxima can't beat anything that is stick, not even a Yugo! Kidding....I have an Auto and love it!

Again, Nice kill!

SHUMAX
Old 04-25-2001, 03:19 AM
Mr Super Baller

Another Honda bites it!!!

Nice kill

Old 04-25-2001, 03:57 AM

Dude, its april 25th. It happened, get over it.

ZuM

Originally posted by MRT2000J
APRIL FOOLS!!!... right?
Old 04-25-2001, 05:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice kill. I saw a Prelude the other night hauling some serious ****. That car had some serious mods on it. He was FLYING.
Old 04-25-2001, 06:47 AM

What do you consider flying? =) Any car can go 100mph. It's all about how fast you get there. When it comes to Preludes, Integras and even Civics. I'm cautious. Those guys have such a big aftermarket out there. Lots of tuners to choose from. I really didn't expect to walk the lude like that. I've heard from people that the current gen lude isn't all that fast. But I always thought that it would be a close race or it would beat my auto 4th gen. But that wasn't the case last night. Maybe he would have taken me after 120. We only raced to about 125 or so. Currection, I was going 125 when I stopped. I dono about him. But I was pulling away at the top of my 3rd gear. He should be topping off 4th. Maybe he would have pulled on me after that. But I'm not willing to keep pushing it past that. At least not till I get some better tires and better suspension.

ZuM

Originally posted by Pervis Anathema
Nice kill. I saw a Prelude the other night hauling some serious ****. That car had some serious mods on it. He was FLYING.
Old 04-25-2001, 07:25 AM

ZuMBLe ... what does chirping mean?

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
he was chirping 2nd gear and shifting fine.
Old 04-25-2001, 07:30 AM

Re: ZuMBLe ... what does chirping mean?

Shifting into 2nd hard and fast enough to break the tires loose for a sec. Making a tire squeal sound.

ZuM

Originally posted by ohboiya

Old 04-25-2001, 07:33 AM
is invisible

It's the sound a bird makes...

Originally posted by ohboiya

it can also be referred to as "barking," basically laying down some rubber when shifting gears (usually in a manual); power shifting.
Old 04-25-2001, 08:03 AM

same story as me zumble, i walk a local late model prelude vtec sometimes too. =P I think they're not as fast as people like to think sometimes. Anyways very good kill.
Old 04-25-2001, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
For you new york guys. I was on the cross island west bound. When I come up on a blue car moving at a good pace. About 70mph. I'm going about 80-85 though. And I pass him. I notice its a current gen prelude base model. Wasnt an SH, so its faster
Good kill ZuM. Always good to hear a maxima eatting another Honda. That is what i like to hear when i come home from work...hehe.

Just one thing though, "it wasnt a SH, so it was faster"? Your not talking about you being faster are ya? B/c the SH is the "true" VTEC Lude that only comes in 5 speed. They are the fastest Ludes stock. When i mean true, i mean having the really high redlines. No I'm not flaming but curious.
Old 04-25-2001, 09:51 PM

My friend just got an used 97/98 Prelude base model. I want to race him. How you think I would do? I think I can take him because he got no mods since he just got it. I got CAI and y-pipe. However, mine's an auto, his is a 5spd. I still think I can take him though. Not sure if it's going to be close or I can take him easily. I raced a current generation Integra GSR w/mods and I did beat him, but it was close; this was when I only had the CAI. I heard the Prelude suppose to be faster?
Old 04-25-2001, 10:37 PM

Stock for stock, the 5-speed Base Model is faster than the 5-speed SH. The Base Model is lighter and the ATTS system on the SH zaps some of the power to the wheels. They both have the same motor though.

ZuM

Originally posted by Synki

Good kill ZuM. Always good to hear a maxima eatting another Honda. That is what i like to hear when i come home from work...hehe.

Just one thing though, "it wasnt a SH, so it was faster"? Your not talking about you being faster are ya? B/c the SH is the "true" VTEC Lude that only comes in 5 speed. They are the fastest Ludes stock. When i mean true, i mean having the really high redlines. No I'm not flaming but curious.
Old 04-25-2001, 10:44 PM

Race him. But take out your spare tire and anything heavy. I see you have some nice big rims on. That won't help you any. You CAN keep up with him or even beat him. I was very surprised when I did it. I think some factors came in to play though. How well you launch would be one of them. And if Nabil's dyno charts and theory are correct. Then having a CAI will hurt you because of loss of high end power. You probably won't be able to get a strong a launch as you want because of the big rims too. But give it a go. =) You may be happily surprised like me. He won't slaughter you.. Promise.

ZuM

Originally posted by Cumalot
My friend just got an used 97/98 Prelude base model. I want to race him. How you think I would do? I think I can take him because he got no mods since he just got it. I got CAI and y-pipe. However, mine's an auto, his is a 5spd. I still think I can take him though. Not sure if it's going to be close or I can take him easily. I raced a current generation Integra GSR w/mods and I did beat him, but it was close; this was when I only had the CAI. I heard the Prelude suppose to be faster?
Old 04-25-2001, 10:44 PM

APRIL FOOLS!!!... right?
hey man, u like ur van?? as ur profile states.. by the way, u gonna get a max? or do u just like maxes..?
Old 04-25-2001, 10:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

of course i like my van foo. And Yea the base Gen 5 prelude is a little teeny bit faster than the sh cuz its lighter . But i don't think the one zumble was racing was racing. I think the driver was 89 years old. I think the driver was a lady cuz lots of ladies like preludes. I think it was an SS and he pretended he had a 5 speed.

Preludes are cool. Vans are cool. Mopeds are cool. Ford Fiestas are not cool. Those MP that always chase me are not cool. Face's Corvette is cool.
Old 04-25-2001, 11:06 PM

Dude, sport shift won't spin the tires in 2nd gear. He was a young guy. I think, you think wrong. Weren't racing huh? Is that why we stopped at a light and talked and he asked me if I was stick. And told me he didn't expect me to take him on the high end. This has all been gone over. It happened the way I said. I don't have to prove it to you. You are the weakest link. Goodbye.

ZuM

of course i like my van foo. And Yea the base Gen 5 prelude is a little teeny bit faster than the sh cuz its lighter . But i don't think the one zumble was racing was racing. I think the driver was 89 years old. I think the driver was a lady cuz lots of ladies like preludes. I think it was an SS and he pretended he had a 5 speed.

Preludes are cool. Vans are cool. Mopeds are cool. Ford Fiestas are not cool. Those MP that always chase me are not cool. Face's Corvette is cool.
Old 04-25-2001, 11:21 PM
SLOW

Just ignore him ZuM

Zum, 99% of us here believe ya, as do i. just ignore the doubter, he's obviously been proved wrong...

Neal
Old 04-26-2001, 11:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

u homo erectus.... if what u said was true i think that guy who was driving sucked donkey poo. Maybe he doesn't know how to shift. Maybe he doesnt know when to shift.... Anyways i still don't believe u. CUZ IM MR T