General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

stick vs.auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

stick vs.auto

What do you guys think the pro and cons are of both? i just bought my maxima and its a 5 speed and so far i love it..are there any big downsides of it?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:28 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by roll4life
What do you guys think the pro and cons are of both? i just bought my maxima and its a 5 speed and so far i love it..are there any big downsides of it?
The only downside is traffic... get stuck in 5mph stop-and-go a few times and you'll realize it's not as fun as the commercials on wide open roads make it seem......... but having said that I have a 6-speed and wouldn't want an auto car.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

on the traffic comment earlier (i try to always avoid traffic) - but anything else, i would NEVER trade in my 6-speed for an auto.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:43 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Only downside I can think of has been mentioned (traffic). Otherwise, you get more aggressive gearing and no lag when accelerating from a roll

~THT
Old 01-17-2005, 11:13 PM

first stick i've owned and don't regret it one bit.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:46 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

after 3 years I'm getting tired of mine. My next car will be an auto. I'm getting old.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

As far as Maximas go, I've had both ('95 GLE, which is auto, of course, and now a '95 SE, which is manual).

I would never have an automatic Maxima again. I rarely drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and the grin factor for the manual is times 1,000 compared to the automatic Maxima. The automatic hunts for gears constantly, in addition to sapping power.

The only downside to the manual is that there are more parts to repair and replace. I never spent a penny on my automatic transmission, other than a flush and fill. My manual, on the other hand, already had the clutch slave cylinder fail. And there will eventually be a clutch replacement.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by Micah95GLE
The automatic hunts for gears constantly.
My auto 3.5 "hunts" only when I tell it to. could be due to the extra torque
Old 01-18-2005, 10:39 AM

I enjoy mine. How come you guys are complaining of 5mph bumper-to-bumper? I can cruise in 1st gear without bucking and even let out the clutch at idle to just coast without even touching the gas, surely you guys can do the same also? Anything short of coming to a complete stop I don't even touch the clutch in 1st gear, unless of course to upshift when the speed rises.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:01 AM

this is my first auto and i've had a ton of sticks, both are nice, depending on if you want comfort(auto) or sport(stick) if i had to pick, stick all the way. next car will definately be a stick

and anyone that has a stick and complains about traffic doesnt appreciate a stick, it becomes a mindless task after a while
Old 01-18-2005, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ScreamingVE
I enjoy mine. How come you guys are complaining of 5mph bumper-to-bumper? I can cruise in 1st gear without bucking and even let out the clutch at idle to just coast without even touching the gas, surely you guys can do the same also? Anything short of coming to a complete stop I don't even touch the clutch in 1st gear, unless of course to upshift when the speed rises.
Mine has the fuel cut problem (been too lazy to take it to the dealer to have it fixed), along with I suspect damaged motor mounts, so it has a lot of jerking back and forth when you get on or off the throttle, especially in 1st gear. Stop'n'go driving is manageable, but a bit of a chore, requiring very well-practiced technique for smoothing things out (pushing the clutch in before it bucks, etc.)

Motor mounts will be OK once I put my Energy Suspension upgrades in, the Fuel Cut TSB problem I'll do sometime later.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:05 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I was able to test drive a 5 spd and it made me miss shifting. I wish I bought a stick instead!
Old 01-18-2005, 12:24 PM
3.5 in the works

I love my 5-spd! I've been driving stick for years and I'm still not tired of it, even in traffic it's quite liveable... it's so automatic now.. no thinking required.

Another advantage of having a stick that I've found (after switching) is that you don't go through brakes nearly as quickly, especially if you drive a bit spiritedly (or a lot) Oh, and I prefer it in the snow too...
Old 01-18-2005, 12:33 PM

ive driven manuals for about 6 years now, ive gotten an auto for comfort, not really into racing, i used to. but the best thing about having an auto is that, even when you have a cast on your hand you can still drive!! (i broke my wrist). if i would of had a stick, my max would of been sitting in the garage, plus i can eat and drink and talk on the cell at the same time!! really, manuals are fun to drive, i dont blame them for loving the six speed. ill wait for a six speed when i get my Z after i get done paying this off.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by Micah95GLE
As far as Maximas go, I've had both ('95 GLE, which is auto, of course, and now a '95 SE, which is manual).

I would never have an automatic Maxima again. I rarely drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and the grin factor for the manual is times 1,000 compared to the automatic Maxima. The automatic hunts for gears constantly, in addition to sapping power.

The only downside to the manual is that there are more parts to repair and replace. I never spent a penny on my automatic transmission, other than a flush and fill. My manual, on the other hand, already had the clutch slave cylinder fail. And there will eventually be a clutch replacement.
More parts to repair? How so? I guess you mean the clutch, flywheel, and bearings. With the automatic you have tons of sensors that can go anytime and are usually more of a ***** to replace. With the manual if something goes wrong it's easier to get it fixed if you want to fix it yourself. With the auto if the TCM goes you're screwed. Besides the traffic downside, which I don'r find annoying at all, there are no downsides to the manual except the 95-96 which have the inaccurately shimmed bearings and what no and have probably a 80% chance of failing.

Originally Posted by chun
ive driven manuals for about 6 years now, ive gotten an auto for comfort, not really into racing, i used to. but the best thing about having an auto is that, even when you have a cast on your hand you can still drive!! (i broke my wrist). if i would of had a stick, my max would of been sitting in the garage, plus i can eat and drink and talk on the cell at the same time!! really, manuals are fun to drive, i dont blame them for loving the six speed. ill wait for a six speed when i get my Z after i get done paying this off.
23 and still can't use propare english? It's would have not would of. Would of makes no sense, ever thought of that?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:40 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
after 3 years I'm getting tired of mine. My next car will be an auto. I'm getting old.
HAHA I know that feeling. I went back to auto and then realized that it was a grave mistake and went stick again.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:06 PM

imagine this....
The road is icy and uphill. There is a stop sign on top of the hill. Can you manual guys go without bumping the car behind or ahead of you?
Old 01-18-2005, 02:13 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Yes. Believe it or not, for me the manual is a LOT easier to launch than the auto in slick conditions. Why would anyone drive up an icy hill in a manual car anyway? Plus, that's what 2nd gear is for and there is this thing called the e-brake.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
Yes. Believe it or not, for me the manual is a LOT easier to launch than the auto in slick conditions. Why would anyone drive up an icy hill in a manual car anyway? Plus, that's what 2nd gear is for and there is this thing called the e-brake.
I always thought the e-brake was for drifting??? j/k But if you lock your rear tires while slipping won't you loose rear stability? I have never used my e-brake while going up an icy hill.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Maximized2k1
imagine this....
The road is icy and uphill. There is a stop sign on top of the hill. Can you manual guys go without bumping the car behind or ahead of you?
Yes?

But common sense will tell me to avoid a hill when its icy out
Old 01-18-2005, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
More parts to repair? How so?
Well, I thought I already explained that. On the 4th gen (I don't know about the transmissions on the other generations), clutch master cylinder, slave master cylinder, and bearing failures are common. When my clutch cylinders failed, there were several threads in the 4th-gen forum with loads of people posting about the same failure. Plus, the clutch will definitely wear out at some point, and that's not a cheap repair, either.

I put 160,000 hard miles onto my GLE and its transmission had no trouble whatsoever. My SE has half the mileage and the transmission has already cost more money than the transmission in my GLE. Back when I checked the 4th-gen forum daily, there weren't any threads with lots of people complaining of automatic transmission failure. They seem to be more reliable than the manuals. The only time I noticed someone replacing an automatic transmission, it was because they killed it with boost or nitrous.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by MIKE2K2
could be due to the extra torque
No, it's due to a crappy transmission design. The damned thing was always trying to upshift, which was obviously the factory's attempt at reducing NVH and increasing fuel efficiency. But it sucked for spirited driving, when the transmission would shift into top gear with lock-up in the middle of a turn and then I'd have to wait for what seemed like forever for it to shift back down to second gear when I hit the gas exiting the turn.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:39 PM

5 speed is more reliable than auto. Got i hate automatic with a passion.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:10 PM
It's chrome alright...

I enjoy mine. How come you guys are complaining of 5mph bumper-to-bumper?
Originally Posted by 2k2kev
5mph stop-and-go

_______
Old 01-18-2005, 06:13 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by Maximized2k1
imagine this....
Easily. If you can't stop and start on a hill you shouldn't be driving a manual. Whether there's snow on it or not is irrelevant.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:20 PM

i actually still have a little trouble with it..when on a hill i tend to let go of the clutch too fast since im afraid ill hit the person behind me..and on ice its no good since you can just spin the tires and the car
Old 01-18-2005, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 2k2kev

_______

Im still not understanding it Its just one extra pedal to push.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:28 PM

this is my first stick car man..im just learning..but so far so good only a few stalls and both were on hills
Old 01-18-2005, 06:33 PM
brotherhood of tq

well if u cant get up a hill in a maunal odds are ur not gonna do it in an auto either.
pros:
( for a stick)
u can control the gears
u get to really enjoy the power of your car
it gives you a great feeling about driving
and chicks dig guys wit a stick and the all want to sit on the shifter.....
ohh and you cool points go up alot more then having an auto
(for an auto)
easier to drive
easier to launch
..... i guess thats it.
ohh and easier to sell when u no longer want the car.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:33 PM
It's chrome alright...

Im still not understanding it Its just one extra pedal to push.
There have been plenty of times I've gone 5mph stop-and-go for an hour or more in traffic... not fun.

Again (as I said above) I'd rather have a manual than an auto, but if I had to commute every day I'd consider an auto.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:35 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
I wouldn't get anywhere near a chick who wanted to sit on the shifter.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
well if u cant get up a hill in a maunal odds are ur not gonna do it in an auto either.
pros:
( for a stick)
u can control the gears
u get to really enjoy the power of your car
it gives you a great feeling about driving
ohh and you cool points go up alot more then having an auto
(for an auto)
easier to drive
easier to launch
..... i guess thats it.
ohh and easier to sell when u no longer want the car.
I only get compliments from older ladies with my 3rd gen
Old 01-18-2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by chun
at least people driving stick have to pay semi attention to whats going on autos you got people like you plus the women putting their makeup on talking on phone and this and that...hell why dont you play gran turismo while you're driving thats why all these people get into accidents...not paying attention. I cant tell you how many times i've almost been hit by someone on a cell. I don't mind it but if peoples attention span is low then people shouldnt be on it. (sorry for the little rant)
Old 01-18-2005, 08:11 PM

yea i agree with you man..when i drive stick i pay so much more attention to the road than when driving an auto..i mean you dont even drive an autocar you ride in it
Old 01-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by VG Ill ridah
I always thought the e-brake was for drifting??? j/k But if you lock your rear tires while slipping won't you loose rear stability? I have never used my e-brake while going up an icy hill.
Not if you just pull the ebrake to the point where there is just some friction between the rotors and the pads. If you just yank it with all your might then of course.
The automatic transmission is the most complicated automotive invention to date so having something broken on it will be a bigger pain than a manual anyday.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:25 PM

seems like when its chilly out shifting is much harsher is this only me?
Old 01-19-2005, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by MIKE2K2
My auto 3.5 "hunts" only when I tell it to. could be due to the extra torque
not only does my auto hunt it kills. i have owned many five speed maxs, supercharged and all but besides the thrill of five speed my auto owns.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by C MAX
not only does my auto hunt it kills. i have owned many five speed maxs, supercharged and all but besides the thrill of five speed my auto owns.
i have a five speed and love it to death, but after driving in C MAX car i dont know? I never thought a auto could be that insanely fast.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:28 AM
Doc

Originally Posted by Tman6429
5 speed is more reliable than auto. Got i hate automatic with a passion.

More reliable? In what ways? And have you driven both to fairly say this with experience? I have an auto and have had zero reliability issues. Both transmissions have pros and cons. There is no absolute answer to a subjective question like the one posted here. It is a personal preference, and that is all. I still love to run through the gears when I have a chance to drive a manual, but as you all get older you will eventually tire of it and look for the comfort and ease (maybe laziness) of auto. I'm 41 yrs old, not old by any means, but the thrill has come and gone as far as manuals. As a daily driver I want my car to do all the little work for me. Remember, pros and cons to both...
Old 01-19-2005, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
You've got a few more years before you get old. One of the reasons I bought an auto is because I was looking ahead to the years in the future when my knees got worse. The other reason is the price was the same as the manual. I don't regret getting the auto at all. It suits me fine.

Quick Reply: stick vs.auto