General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Centerforce Clutches Suck!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 08:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well I just finished my 500 mile break in period of my Stage III Centerforce Clutch and the damn thing can't hold the power! I can't even make my car peel out with the damn thing, when I shift gears hard it slips and then bites in when the rpms are really high and then the car pulles like crazy , but I still hate the damn thing. I can't wait to get my hands on a 2002 6spd tranny and drop that in my car with a JW Stage II Clutch. Feel free to share your experiences here on the Centerforce Clutch. Ohh yeah I don't think NA maximas will have this issue with a centerforce Clutch since my 95 max did not have this problem with the Clutch. All I know is if you are putting down over 300hp this Clutch stinks! I'm ****ed!!!
Old 04-25-2001, 08:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

not to seem harsh.. but did i not tell you to get ACT?? don't you have a feeling i knew that the centerforce sucks?? course stillen told you it would hold so you know they know more than i, right?
Old 04-25-2001, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by Phil96SE
not to seem harsh.. but did i not tell you to get ACT?? don't you have a feeling i knew that the centerforce sucks?? course stillen told you it would hold so you know they know more than i, right?
You are a 100% right Phil, I should have taken your advise. I tried to back out of the Centerforce Clutch with my sales man and he sweet talked me into it. I feel like a dumb *** now{well I always do}, anyways I think I am going to have to take the $650 hit and get the ACT Clutch + the damn $300 install. Anyways I will listen to you from now on for sure, so do you want to hook me up with some info on the CAI SC? You can kill me after words if you want but you gota cetch me first.

BTW did you Centerforce Clutch have the exact same issues as mine does? The damn thing! It will be my mission in life to make sure no one else gets ripped off like me!
Old 04-25-2001, 08:54 PM

my centerforce was okay.. that was a while ago.. once u add power and **** like that it slipps like a *****.. anyway.. get the ACT street plate.. don't get cocky and get the 4 or 6 puck, or your butt will be walking and *****ing about a ****ed tranny
Old 04-25-2001, 09:31 PM

my centerforce was okay.. that was a while ago.. once u add power and **** like that it slipps like a *****.. anyway.. get the ACT street plate.. don't get cocky and get the 4 or 6 puck, or your butt will be walking and *****ing about a ****ed tranny
ahhh my virgin ears!! haha j/p
Old 04-25-2001, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy

ahhh my virgin ears!! haha j/p
Old 04-25-2001, 10:11 PM

That seems like a lot of money

I think I've seen on groupbuycenter.com ACT clutches for about $400. Also, installation $300? My local mechanic installs genuine Nissan Clutches for $250 parts and labor included and will machine your flywheel. Maybe you should shop around. Of course, my brother changed the clutch to his 3.28 himself so I don't feel like I should have to pay anyone to change my clutch.
Old 04-25-2001, 10:49 PM
Lyt97SC

Re: That seems like a lot of money

sup guys, what Flywheel are you guys using with these clutches for us SC guys?

Old 04-25-2001, 11:04 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

$250 for clutch AND labor? Is this for a Max? if so, no offense but i find that near impossible to belive. Labor rate is 5.9 hrs for clutch on a Maxima. Even if he charged only $30 an hour that would be $180 labor only. But who works for $30 an hour nowadays?? I think the clutch costs between $175-$250.
Old 04-25-2001, 11:19 PM

I dunno if you're a local in SoCal

Look into Alt Z. They work on Nissans, Infinitis, and the Mercury Villager. The mechanic told me the clutch takes no more than an hour and half to install. They are known for really quick, they had my friend's Cattman y-pipe, RT Cat, Apexi WS installed in under an hour. It's amazing to see these guys at work, they lift the car up on the risers and the have all kinds of stands to insure that your components don't get banged up when the bolts are removed. In fact, Adam Hume at Stillen recommends their installation. They do just about everything. When I was getting my car serviced, they were just started working on a SC for a 96 Max. Three hours later when I went to pick up the car, the owner of the SC Max drove off. I'm pretty sure it was $250 for the parts and labor, but perhaps it might be $350 for both. I'm not positive, but for all you SoCal people, Alt Z in Huntington Beach is an honest, affordable, dependable garage.
Old 04-25-2001, 11:25 PM

Re: Re: That seems like a lot of money

Originally posted by Lyt97SC
sup guys, what Flywheel are you guys using with these clutches for us SC guys?
I have a brand new Stillen Alluminum Flywheel.

Eric, I wish that price was reality here in R.I. , I have looked around and $300 for the install is about as good as it gets.

95TurboMax, Were have you seen a ACT{or did you meen oem?} Clutch for $175-250?
Old 04-25-2001, 11:42 PM

Re: I dunno if you're a local in SoCal

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
Look into Alt Z.
Hey Kevin, do you have contact info for Alt Z? (phone # etc)

Do they do custom work as well, or just regular intalls?

TIA
Old 04-26-2001, 09:54 AM

I don't at the minute but I'll try and find info

I have their business card in my car but I'll repost later tonight. As for the clutch emax, I asked the people at NRG-racing.com for a quote on the ACT clutch and this is what they had to say:

"Hello Kevin,

Yes, we have a clutch available that will hold all the power. The model number is NM1-HDR6 this is a 6puck disk with a heavy duty pressure plate. We also have one that is more suited to street use, but doesn't hold as much power. That one is the NM1-HDMM. Here's the breakdown.

NM1-HDMM, holds 362 ft/lb torque. List $394 GBC $310.50 shipped
NM1-HDR6, holds 463 ft/lb torque. List $387 GBC $305.25 shipped

Add 7.5% tax if in CA.

Aj."
Old 04-26-2001, 10:01 AM

Re: I don't at the minute but I'll try and find info

Originally posted by Kevin Wong

Yes, we have a clutch available that will hold all the power. The model number is NM1-HDR6 this is a 6puck disk with a heavy duty pressure plate. We also have one that is more suited to street use, but doesn't hold as much power. That one is the NM1-HDMM. Here's the breakdown.

NM1-HDMM, holds 362 ft/lb torque. List $394 GBC $310.50 shipped
NM1-HDR6, holds 463 ft/lb torque. List $387 GBC $305.25 shipped

Add 7.5% tax if in CA.

Aj."
hey kevin.. ummm i wouldn't reccomened either of the puck clutches, you can do it if you want, but don't start crying when your tranny is gone beyond recognition. i have the street plate on mine, and it holds very easily.. i have heard of several maxima guys killing their tranny because they figured the 4 puck would hold more than the street plate, that is true, but those 4 and 6 puck ones are NOT designed for street use, they are on/off clucthes, and will kill a tranny in no time flat.
Old 04-26-2001, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: I don't at the minute but I'll try and find info

yes ask Mehran and sx7r ..

hey kevin.. ummm i wouldn't reccomened either of the puck clutches, you can do it if you want, but don't start crying when your tranny is gone beyond recognition. i have the street plate on mine, and it holds very easily.. i have heard of several maxima guys killing their tranny because they figured the 4 puck would hold more than the street plate, that is true, but those 4 and 6 puck ones are NOT designed for street use, they are on/off clucthes, and will kill a tranny in no time flat.
Old 04-26-2001, 10:29 AM

ACT vs JWT?

I want an ACT clutch in my Max. I thought I needed one now, but it turns out I broke an axle so the clutch can wait till I get the Quaife differential. Because the shop thought it was a trani seal/clutch problem, and ACT was backordered for weeks on the pressure plate, I ended up getting a Jim Wolf clutch, but I know nothing about them. I'm thinking of returning it and getting the ACT when I'm ready. Is the JWT worth it, or should I go with the known quality of ACT? (Did I just answer my own question?
Old 04-26-2001, 10:34 AM

Re: ACT vs JWT?

Originally posted by OriginalMadMax
I want an ACT clutch in my Max. I thought I needed one now, but it turns out I broke an axle so the clutch can wait till I get the Quaife differential. Because the shop thought it was a trani seal/clutch problem, and ACT was backordered for weeks on the pressure plate, I ended up getting a Jim Wolf clutch, but I know nothing about them. I'm thinking of returning it and getting the ACT when I'm ready. Is the JWT worth it, or should I go with the known quality of ACT? (Did I just answer my own question?
I think the JWT Clutch is a ACT Clutch, I could be wrong though but that is what I heard.
Old 04-26-2001, 11:05 AM
I'm needing a caw

Emax. If Stillen said the Centerforce clutch would hold and it now doesn't, I would give that guy some serious hell and demand some type of compensation. The LAST thing you need w/ these kinds of labor intensive parts is some jerk salesman talking about **** he knows nothing of. I would call him, tell him what the hell is happening, and ask him WTF is gonna do to fix this problem. ie.. refund you the $$ and the labor costs.

Kevin Wong. I kinda agree w/ Turbo here. $250 or $350 is really cheap. If it's legit, then man that's a real nice deal. Just one thing. Make 100% sure they aren't offering the Key Value Clutch Kits as part of this deal. These kits are offerec by Nissan but they are NOT OEM NISSAN PARTS. Trust me, these kits are to be AVOIDED at all costs.
Old 04-26-2001, 11:38 AM

Re: ACT vs JWT?

The guy at JWT said they make their own clutch when I asked if they went through an outside jobber. The JWT is actually less expensive ($325) than the ACT ($394). I've seen the ACT discounted to $335, still more than JWT's. Also, the spec on the ACT is for about 362 lbs. torque, on the JWT it's about 340 lbs. torque. Still more than stock, but what I want is a clutch that will hold up to abuse. After all, I drive hard enough to break my axle
Old 04-26-2001, 11:41 AM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: ACT vs JWT?

What exactly is a TRG piggyback ecu? I know what it is but who is TRG and do they have dyno graphs to confirm their gains?

Oh The Racer's Group ecu piggyback. Now I remember.

The guy at JWT said they make their own clutch when I asked if they went through an outside jobber. The JWT is actually less expensive ($325) than the ACT ($394). I've seen the ACT discounted to $335, still more than JWT's. Also, the spec on the ACT is for about 362 lbs. torque, on the JWT it's about 340 lbs. torque. Still more than stock, but what I want is a clutch that will hold up to abuse. After all, I drive hard enough to break my axle
Old 04-26-2001, 11:48 AM

Hmmmm perhaps

That would explain the low price. I did ask them what would be the best price on a clutch replacement. As for the ACT, sorry about that...I saw a groupdeal discount and just wanted to post it. So it looks like you're going to have shell out some serious cash for the proper clutch. Hopefully I won't have to worry about a clutch for some time. My four cars average 120,000 and all four of them have the original clutch without any problems. But then again my average horsepower is 135 (at the crank too). Eplanation: one 89 Mazda 626 (non turbo), 89 323 (non turbo), 90 Accord coupe, 97 Nissan Maxima.
Old 04-26-2001, 11:48 AM

Re: Re: ACT vs JWT?

The guy at JWT said they make their own clutch when I asked if they went through an outside jobber.
Heh... JWT says that a lot. They make 440 cc injectors for 3rd gens and say. "Our injectors are made in house by a private manufacturer." This is total b-u-l-l-s-h-i-t, they're from a 1973 Mercedes Benz. They're trying to sucker you into buying stuff..
Old 04-26-2001, 11:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: ACT vs JWT?

If theirs is an ACT, how can they undercut everyone else's price? That makes me suspicious. If it's someone else's clutch, I want to know!

Originally posted by Maximamike

Heh... JWT says that a lot. They make 440 cc injectors for 3rd gens and say. "Our injectors are made in house by a private manufacturer." This is total b-u-l-l-s-h-i-t, they're from a 1973 Mercedes Benz. They're trying to sucker you into buying stuff..
Old 04-26-2001, 12:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: ACT vs JWT?

If theirs is an ACT, how can they undercut everyone else's price? That makes me suspicious. If it's someone else's clutch, I want to know!

The dude at Stillen said that the JWT Clutch is a rebaged ACT Clutch, he also said they{Stillen} use to carry a ACT Clutch and rebaged it as Stillen. I also heard that the JWT Clutch is a ACT Clutch from another source. Stillen told me they stoped carrying the ACT clutch because of quality control reasons, thats why I said I got sweet talked into the damn Centerforce piece of junk.

Chris, I do plan on having a little talk with my sales rep about this, the only problem is he is away on vacation for the next week. He did tell me that the Centerforce Clutch will hold the power 100% and that it was the best Clutch on the market. I am hoping to return the Clutch for a refund but I dought it will ever happen.
Old 04-26-2001, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: ACT vs JWT?

WHY???

let me ask you why?

why is it shox.com sells koni's for $440 when the list price everywhere else is $200 per shock? why is it the stillen body kit is $1300 on their site but we can buy it for $650? why is it sprint springs retail for $200 but Alex of Southwest Autoworks sells them for $119?

WHY? WHY?

because its called retail price and wholesale price...

you think if JWT is getting re-bagged ACT clutches they are actually buying them at a retail price? no ... that gives the option to sell them cheaper and try to get ACT's customers..

you ever wonder why Radio Shack's Optimus line is so cheap yet all it is .. is a rebadge Pioneer? you ever wonder why JL Components Speakers are cheaper than MB Quartz but they are made from the same factory? you ever wonder why?? well obviously

Old 04-26-2001, 01:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ACT vs JWT?

At least 2 shops I spoke too said they use Centerforce clutches as doorstops <g> A couple of others weren't so diplomatic ....
Old 04-26-2001, 01:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ACT vs JWT?

Um, let's go over this again! I think I understand the difference between retail and wholesale, so ... if the RETAIL price of the ACT is $384, quoted from the factory, and the best price I can find anywhere is $335 (from the shop run by the brother of a good friend of mine), but JWT retails their clutch for less than that, how are they making money on the markup? Could it be that it isn't an ACT clutch, but something that costs less? Until I learn it IS an ACT, I won't think that it is.

Originally posted by SprintMax
WHY???

let me ask you why?

why is it shox.com sells koni's for $440 when the list price everywhere else is $200 per shock? why is it the stillen body kit is $1300 on their site but we can buy it for $650? why is it sprint springs retail for $200 but Alex of Southwest Autoworks sells them for $119?

WHY? WHY?

because its called retail price and wholesale price...

you think if JWT is getting re-bagged ACT clutches they are actually buying them at a retail price? no ... that gives the option to sell them cheaper and try to get ACT's customers..

you ever wonder why Radio Shack's Optimus line is so cheap yet all it is .. is a rebadge Pioneer? you ever wonder why JL Components Speakers are cheaper than MB Quartz but they are made from the same factory? you ever wonder why?? well obviously

Old 04-26-2001, 02:18 PM

OK, ACT talks about JWT!

When in doubt, go to the top. I called ACT and the sales rep thought JWT was using their discs but not their plates. She then went and talked to the big boss, and came back to say that JWT does NOT use ANY components from ACT. They think JWT might be using Clutchmaster as a source, which isn't what I want to particularly put in my car.
Old 04-26-2001, 04:10 PM
Lyt97SC

EMax: Stillen Flywheel

I was checking it out on the Stillen website...$680 something? i was thinking it would be a bit cheaper than that. How much did you get yours for. Lemme know thanks.

Old 04-26-2001, 06:09 PM

Jeez, and I still have mine sitting on my desk, I'm thinking about taking it back now. Especially if I'm charging this summer, I don't want any slipping.
Old 04-26-2001, 07:33 PM

hey guys...i havnt heard much good about centerforce and ACT...but everyone seems to LOVE exedy. has anyone looked into seeing if they make a clutch assembly for the max? their stuff is pretty trick, from what ive seen...

just thought id throw that in.

casey
Old 04-26-2001, 08:26 PM

Re: EMax: Stillen Flywheel

Originally posted by Lyt97SC
I was checking it out on the Stillen website...$680 something? i was thinking it would be a bit cheaper than that. How much did you get yours for. Lemme know thanks.
I paid like $475 for the flywheel.
Old 04-26-2001, 09:18 PM

Alt Z Info

17082 Palmdale St # B
Huntington Beach, CA 92647
(714) 375-5651
Old 04-26-2001, 11:09 PM

ACT clutches have been in a lot of seriously fast drag cars, including some class record holders. I called about 2 dozen shops looking for one the other day (because of the factory backorder) and a number of the shop guys had them in their own cars.

Originally posted by global_threat
hey guys...i havnt heard much good about centerforce and ACT...but everyone seems to LOVE exedy. has anyone looked into seeing if they make a clutch assembly for the max? their stuff is pretty trick, from what ive seen...

casey
Old 04-26-2001, 11:12 PM

Re: Re: EMax: Stillen Flywheel

Whoa! Under $500 sounds a LOT better than nearly $700. Who'd you have to sleep with to get THAT price?

Originally posted by emax95

I paid like $475 for the flywheel.
Old 04-26-2001, 11:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: I don't at the minute but I'll try and find info

Originally posted by SprintMax
yes ask Mehran and sx7r ..

uh... ask me about what?
Old 04-27-2001, 01:09 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

the JWT clutch is white, does anyone use a Clutchmasters clutch? when i opened my JWT and right away my friend said it was a clutchmasters. He owns a shop in San Mateo called Nissan Doctor, i trust him but want confirmation for myself.
Old 04-27-2001, 09:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: EMax: Stillen Flywheel

Whoa! Under $500 sounds a LOT better than nearly $700. Who'd you have to sleep with to get THAT price?

I slept with Dean at Stillen. I had to fly down to calli from R.I. though.
Old 04-27-2001, 11:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: EMax: Stillen Flywheel

Originally posted by emax95

I slept with Dean at Stillen. I had to fly down to calli from R.I. though.
was that how u got the kmc wing deal too?
Old 04-27-2001, 11:08 AM
I'm needing a caw

Dude, Exedy products are extremely good quality. BUT! They are EXTREMELY expensive. Try like the $600-$1000+ depending what level you order.

Originally posted by global_threat

casey

Quick Reply: Centerforce Clutches Suck!