General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Centerforce Clutches Suck!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2001, 12:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

"EXEDY" was engraved on my ACT street disc.
Old 04-27-2001, 12:28 PM
My 4DSC

Centerforce clutches do not suck.
I've heard nothing but praise about them from all of my friend that have used them (Dual Friction)...
Now i dont know about this Stage III deal you're talking about but are you sure you gave it a proper break-in?
As in...500+ miles "STOP & GO"...highway miles dont count.
You're supposed to BABY it....
If you stepped on it hard JUST ONCE you glazed the clutch over and destroyed it!
I know it's very easy to be driving around, breaking in your clutch, when someone (usually a Rustang) tempts you into a race....you go for it! BYE-BYE CLUTCH!

I had a similar problem with my civic when I was using an RPS Turbo Clutch and it was my fault for not giving it a proper break-in....I got a new one and gave it a proper break-in then it did not slip at all and grabbed like a MF'er.

BTW: For what it's worth...I know FOR A FACT that ACT Clutches are the ones that suck if anything...I tried them in my civic and they felt like shiet...my friend Arvin's civic BROKE (as in SHATTERED) two ACT clutches in a single weekend....and all i hear is complaints about the ACT (except from the DSM'ers who praise ACT)...

Oh yea and I'm pretty sure JWT is using ClutchMaster's for their clutch because that's the only clutch i know of that has a white pressure plate...
If ClutchMasters had one available for the 5th gen I would've bought it because I LOVE CLUTCHMASTERS!

Old 04-28-2001, 12:52 AM

Centerforce does what it's supposed to do

Having talked to a couple of different racing shops this week, I have a pretty good idea of what Centerforce does or doesn't do. The road and oval racers seem to love them, because they work so well at high rpm. I guess they don't mind slippage offline because that keeps them from breaking their cars. On the other hand, Centerforce won't launch well off the line, so the drag racers hate them. They tend to go more for ACT than any other clutch I heard mentioned.
Still haven't heard any feedback here about the JWT clutches; I have the stage one, don't know if I'm going to keep it for later or if I should send it back ....