General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Just saw DRIVEN

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2001, 11:12 PM

and there is one absolutley bad A$$ scene in it where they race through the City, I mean Damn you gotta see this movie, ok well maynbe it is a little far fetched at times but it is a movie, anyway the camera shots are great and some of the wrecks are cool to. Has anyone else seen the movie? I think that The Fast and the Furious will be alot better or I would hope it is, but well just have to wait till June to find out.
Old 04-28-2001, 01:28 AM

I just saw the movie tonight also. It was pretty good. The street chase sceen was awsome. But Memo's(spanish guy)wreck was bad a$$. That was an awsome sceen. I am also waiting on the fast and furious. That should be bad a$$.
Old 04-28-2001, 03:09 AM

Directed by Renny Harlin of Long Kiss Goodnight and Die Hard 2 fame, so at least the action should be decent. Plus, I'm always up for a good chase scene and engines revving in DTS digital sound
Old 04-28-2001, 02:28 PM

i didn't even know the movie was out yet..

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
and there is one absolutley bad A$$ scene in it where they race through the City, I mean Damn you gotta see this movie, ok well maynbe it is a little far fetched at times but it is a movie, anyway the camera shots are great and some of the wrecks are cool to. Has anyone else seen the movie? I think that The Fast and the Furious will be alot better or I would hope it is, but well just have to wait till June to find out.
i'll have to check it out this weekend..

kafene.
Old 04-28-2001, 04:37 PM

Being a car fanatic and a racer, the movie was very disappointing. If you don't race, you'll find it amusing. If you're not a car fanatic...then you'll love it.

Me being a movie lover, a theatre fanatic, and a car hobbyist?, I had some ill-thoughts about it...

-Discontinue reading if you haven't seen it-
My problems with the movie as follows...

1. Anytime the characters interacted with each other, the cuts were very choppy and didn't transition well.

2. The characters are very weak and not very well defined. Back-stabbing left and right, but, all end up happy??

3. One of the characters is riding home after a long day of racing and forgets to put his seatbelt on?!?! I'm sorry, i've been racing for nearly 2 years, autocross and road racing and i have NEVER forgetten to put my seatbelt on...this goes with the other people i race with.

4. Some of the crash scenes were so fake it was hard to believe it happened. It's like the director needed a scene where something dramatic happened.

5. (Big pet peeve) The scene with the guys in the IRL cars in the city was pretty cool. And i'd wet my pants if i saw a couple IRL cars flying past me...but, at 195mph (the cop clocked them)...their faces were showing no signs of wind resistance...at 60mph your face is flapping in the wind
But, after all was done, causing 50+ close car crashes, destroying a few windows and terrorizing the city... they are both slapped with $25,000 fines from the league, no authorities were brought into the fray, no legal issues... Damn, sign me up! I'll take a $25K fine for driving through the city of Chicago in a cart!!

6. Racing. Apparently, in the straights, you don't WOT in open-wheel carts... and if you want to pass someone, you just push the gas pedal down from 25% to 90% and upshift. When I'm road racing... if there's a straight, I'm WOT...but, i guess in the IRL (if that's what league they were running in) you don't.

7. Rain. At 160mph+ raindrops SLOWLY move off one's helmet. At 75mph in my car, the raindrops shoot off my windshield...i guess raindrops stay longer, the faster you go.

Overall, i thought the movie was ok...not worth the $8 i paid to see it though. The sound effects were the best thing about it (i LOVE the sound of carts)... and the chicago scene was pretty cool too. Aside that...matinee movie.
Old 04-28-2001, 04:46 PM

What about the fact that the methanol was burning on the water(ummm no..), or that you could even see the methanol burning(methenol burns clear). Maybe it was the fact the cars used a clutch to shift(WTF), or even the crashes were so unrealistic it was funny? Hmm..

Those were CART cars, BTW..
Old 04-28-2001, 05:30 PM

It was a good entertaining movie. It shouldn't be analyzed. Just watch it, enjoy the chase scenes, the race scenes and be happy they had more on track action than they did off-track action.

Also, don't CART racer's use fuel instead of methanol. I think F1 racers use methanol.
Old 04-28-2001, 06:06 PM

I saw it too and I thougt that it is a good movie.
I can't wait till "Fast and Furious" comes out.
Old 04-28-2001, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

As a CART racing enthusiest in general, I found this movie attrocious in the fact that the racing in no way (at least in my mind) lived up to what CART racing is really like. I have read interviews and such and one of the reasons why the movie took so long to make was they wanted it to be as real as possible. While I am sure the whole relationship part of it could have been real, the racing was completely fake in my mind. . . In fact, the closest thing to real racing I saw in that movie was the cars racing through Chicago. Oh well. I am not saying it is a bad movie, it was entertaining, but I think it mocked the sport more than it is going to help it.

BTW. . . If you want to see a really well done racing movie, at least most racing critics agree on it being the most realistic, rent the movie Grand Prix. For a movie from the 60's? (I am guessing on this) this movie has some kick *** race sequences, and the filming is (IMO) as good or better than any racing sequence I have seen in any film.
Old 04-28-2001, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by mAdD MAX
Also, don't CART racer's use fuel instead of methanol. I think F1 racers use methanol.
Fuel is just a general term for a gas a car uses(in car talk). It could be alcohol, methanol, whatever. Its alllll fuel..
Old 04-28-2001, 08:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

and then mikey realized it was a moviee
Old 04-28-2001, 09:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was going to point out the fuel thing also, but Mike had done that already. . . I know they were looking for a way to make the flames visable because they had problems with spills, but as far as I know only NASCAR still uses 'normal' fuel as we know it.
Old 04-29-2001, 10:05 AM

i haven't seen i yet, but...

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2
Being a car fanatic and a racer, the movie was very disappointing. If you don't race, you'll find it amusing. If you're not a car fanatic...then you'll love it.

most movies have fake scenese, or scenes that don't make much sense. remember that movie w/ sean connery and nicholas cage called the Rock? i enjoyed it. but remember the chase scene where the ferrari was racing after the hummer in the city of san francisco? when would a ferarri EVER need to "chase" a hummer? a ferrari would probably never leave 1st or 2nd gear! still a good movie though

kafene.