General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Nightmare occure at maxima meet today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2001, 03:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well I went up to the MA max meet today and I took Deezo and some other guy for a ride in my I30. Heres what happened, I was going about 95mph and went to shift into 4th and you guessed I shifted into 2nd gear, the car ran up to about 7500 rpm's for a split second and my Clutch will not ingage anymore, so I pulled off to the road and shut it down for a few seconds and started it back up and now my shifter whould go into gear but if felt like I only had about 2hp so I backed it off the road. Anyways I had to have my car towed back to R.I.{80 miles away}. I am still waiting for my car to arrive. Anyhow I am trying to figure out if I destroyed my transmission or not? I know my clutch does not work at all and the pedal is fully depressed also if I have my car in gear the car still idles rather then stalling. So do you think my tranny is all right? If not how much does a rebiuld cost? The good news is I was planning on replasing my piece of crap Centerforce Clutch with a ACT clutch so if it is just the clutch that broke that is all right. For the record I have never had this happen to me in the 2 years of driving a 5spd, it just figures that it would happen when I am out of State at a Max meet{Murphys law!}.

It was nice meeting all you guys maybe next time my car will last the whole meet,LOL.
Old 04-28-2001, 03:40 PM

sorry to hear that.. hope you can get it fixed for cheap
Old 04-28-2001, 03:47 PM

Ouch

sorry to hear that, wish I had some answers.
Old 04-28-2001, 03:52 PM

Thanks guys, This really sucks!

Another thing I am wondering is do you think my new Stillen Alluminum Flywheel has been destroyed{$500!}? I did not here anything snap or anything and there was no clanking also my engine reves up fine. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-28-2001, 03:55 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Good luck with your fix.
Old 04-28-2001, 04:19 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

oh ya

I was there at the meet and he took some people for a ride, i was next too, damn. About 20 minutes go by and i'm like they so got pulled over, and then the three of them come walking down the freeway and i was like OMG what happened. You know the rest,, it was so sweet though, i hope it's ok.
Old 04-28-2001, 04:26 PM

Re: oh ya

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
I was there at the meet and he took some people for a ride, i was next too, damn. About 20 minutes go by and i'm like they so got pulled over, and then the three of them come walking down the freeway and i was like OMG what happened. You know the rest,, it was so sweet though, i hope it's ok.
Next meet it will be as healthy as a horse and I will give you the ride I promised you. BTW I found a place that sells ACT Clutches so I should have the car running like new by the end of the week. I can't wait.
Old 04-28-2001, 04:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

E max: I cant believe this happened to you too! I was driving down the highway racing a nother car redlining in third gear. I went to shift to fourth, but missed and hit second. The engine revved HARD since I floored it instantly after shifting thinking it was in the right gear. The car jerked a bit. I put the clutch in as fast as I could and it stuck to the floor. In a last desperation to get the car out of gear and not be stranded on the highway (right below a large underpass) I somewhat forced the gearshifter out of gear. Luckily, I had enough momentum to get off the highway and onto a sidestreet. The engine was making a pretty loud clicking noise. I shut the engine off and after yelling a couple things I called a tow truck. It was taken to Nissan while I sat and waited to here what was wrong. I remember thinking the transmission was shot for sure since I already replaced it once (not my fault that time) also because of the way my Maxima was jerking and the noises it made. Anyway, it ended up that my throw out bearing had broken and I got a new clutch and she runs fine now. Except for the fact that my brand new clutch slips since I couldn't wait to have the car running again and got a nother oem one. This is what I think most likely happened to your car as well. 140,000 miles and still going strong. I hope this eases the blow a little bit!
Old 04-28-2001, 04:36 PM
RussMaxManiac

You may have damaged the transmission but it also sounds like you bent some valves..... You are gonna need some serious engine work now... Sorry to hear that man, done it in my TransAm, suffered the damage too.

Old 04-28-2001, 05:01 PM

are you sure?

Originally posted by Russ2kSE
You may have damaged the transmission but it also sounds like you bent some valves..... You are gonna need some serious engine work now... Sorry to hear that man, done it in my TransAm, suffered the damage too.
The throw-out bearing sounds more logical to me. Why do you think there are bent valves? I don't think the car would have just started up and idled if that were the case. The noise would have caused him to shut the motor off immediately. Serious engine work? I doubt it but we'll find out. Probably a misdiagnosis: it's like telling a patient he has cancer when he pulled a groin muscle.
Old 04-28-2001, 05:20 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: are you sure?

Well by his symptons match alot of the SE-R guys when they mis-shift, so I gave the answer.

Originally posted by pmar

The throw-out bearing sounds more logical to me. Why do you think there are bent valves? I don't think the car would have just started up and idled if that were the case. The noise would have caused him to shut the motor off immediately. Serious engine work? I doubt it but we'll find out. Probably a misdiagnosis: it's like telling a patient he has cancer when he pulled a groin muscle.

Old 04-28-2001, 05:46 PM

I hope your car isn't hurt to bad. If it was me, I would almost be in tears...
Old 04-28-2001, 05:53 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I completely agree with Russ. Transmissions problems will be the least of Emax's worries. A car will run with bent valves, but the performance will be signifcantly lost. The tach might have only read 7500, but I'd bet it was closer to 8500. Why? Because the tach can't keep up with a motor that is spinning incredibly fast. How do I have experience in this? Go to Newcelica.org and read about all the misshifts these guys have on the 3-4 shift accidently hitting 2nd. They too say the tach only read 9000 at the time, BUT the ECU says 10500-11000 :GULP: The valves do get bent when this happens and sometimes the pistons get messed up too.

Emax-
Get a compression test done ASAP. Take some vacumn hose and listen to your motor.

AND next time, take your hand and point you thumb down and wrap your palm around the front of the shifter. This will keep you from accidently hitting 2nd.

Dave
Old 04-28-2001, 05:54 PM

Re: Re: are you sure?

Well by his symptons match alot of the SE-R guys when they mis-shift, so I gave the answer.

I appreciate the advice Russ but I really don't think there is any thing a matter with my engine. For the following reasons, 1st the car made no weird noises other then for the tenth of a second it reved up to about 7.5K RPM{thats nothing}, also the engine sounds as smooth as silf which means to ticking or any thing like that. My mane reasoning against engine damage is that the car only reved up to 7.5K RPM's which is barely above redline and also only 0.45 Rpm's higher then the JWT ecu had and also I did not hit the gas when I did this so I really dow't there is any engine damage at all and if there is It is transperent and what you don't know don't hurt yeah.

Pmar thanks for the input I appreciate it and lets just pray that it was just the TOB.

On a side note my car is still sitting in MA were it broke down. The damn AAA has some other companys tow trunk working for them, anyways I just got off the phone with him and he said he is going to pick it up in a hour. This is BS, he was supposed to have allready towed my car hours ago. Well I will be reporting him to AAA for his negligance. SOB!
Old 04-28-2001, 06:12 PM

I had a similar thing happen on a Sentra I was driving. This is the car I was learning a 5speed on, by myself.

ITs a '92 Sentra XE. I was pounding through 1st, down the 2nd then into 3rd...well, not quite, back into firts. Now keep in mind that this car didnt have a tach so I have no idea what RPMS im shifting at. The car jerks forward. I swear I probably hit 8500 RPMS. But I put it back in 3rd and kept on goin.

That car took a hurtin from me and kept goin. I was impressed!
Old 04-28-2001, 06:14 PM

I should have mentioned that the new clutch I recieved was a kit that included the tob. What you explained happened sounds almost identical to my story. The technician told me even before the inspection that the tob was the piece that usually gives under those circumstances. The clutch sticking to the floor definitely sounds like it was broken. Hopefully this is all that happened to yours. Probably a best-case scenario. By what you other guys are saying, I'm feeling pretty lucky to have my engine/tranny still intact.
Old 04-28-2001, 06:22 PM

Well I am happy that it seems only my clutch or even just my TOB is broken, that does not bother me much becasue I was planning on having a new clutch put in either this week or next anyways. I will order a ACT Clutch Monday and have it shiped over night and then I will have the new Clutch in by Friday. If this works out I will be a happy camper and I will never shift hard from 3rd to 4th again or should I say 3rd to 2nd.
Old 04-28-2001, 07:08 PM

I am not an expert at all but I think your damage is much more than the tranny and flywheel. A misshift like that is likely to casue serious internal engine damage.

It happened to me once.
I was racing in my M roadster last summer, shifting to 4th from 3rd at 7000rpm, it went in 2nd, since my foot is planted on gas, the rev went probabely 9000+, I put in N and cruised for few seconds then put back in 4th, it drove fine but it has a clicking sound at idle.
The car went to dealer on flatbed and stayed there for more than a week, they took cyl heads apart and everything else, replaced lots of things.

In another words, I think this is sometimes what people call blowing an engine.
Old 04-28-2001, 07:25 PM
Vic

hmm..speeding is bad... =]
Vic
Old 04-28-2001, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by WoodEar
I am not an expert at all but I think your damage is much more than the tranny and flywheel. A misshift like that is likely to casue serious internal engine damage.

It happened to me once.
I was racing in my M roadster last summer, shifting to 4th from 3rd at 7000rpm, it went in 2nd, since my foot is planted on gas, the rev went probabely 9000+, I put in N and cruised for few seconds then put back in 4th, it drove fine but it has a clicking sound at idle.
The car went to dealer on flatbed and stayed there for more than a week, they took cyl heads apart and everything else, replaced lots of things.

Well my car only reved up to 7.5K rpm's{I saw} and my foot was not on the gas so in another words the engine barely went over redline. So that should equal no engine damage. Also the engine does not make any funny noises at all. What happened was I went to slam it into 4th and it did not go in so I yanked at it again{at this point the RPM's droped down to 1-2K rpm's} and then when the car finaly went into 2nd it jurked for a half of a second at most. I did not hit the gas I just pushed the clutch right into nuetral.

I just called the SOB tow truck guy and my car is still sitting there un-locked on the side of the street. I gave the guy a piece of mind this time.
Old 04-28-2001, 08:18 PM

I wouldve stayed there and wouldve had my car towed

with me in it. Especially a car like yours. and its unlocked too. Not good. Yikes. Plus I heard someone say they have 140,000 miles on their 95 maxima. DAMN!! I have an 88 and it has only 147k on it, youre only 7k away from mine. I like having low miles on my 88 and most cars newer than mine are either past me or near mine. And mine is older. I like that
Old 04-28-2001, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by WoodEar

yeah.. ethan.. i wasn't tryin chime in or nuttin.. but you got ur higher boost pulley right? 7.5k is way up in boost.. now jus picture all that goin into ur internals.. i know yours isn't made to handle the pressure.. might wanna have it checked out.. that is if it makes it back to RI
Old 04-28-2001, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by Phil96SE

yeah.. ethan.. i wasn't tryin chime in or nuttin.. but you got ur higher boost pulley right? 7.5k is way up in boost.. now jus picture all that goin into ur internals.. i know yours isn't made to handle the pressure.. might wanna have it checked out.. that is if it makes it back to RI
Well I can't afford to have it checked out any time soon so if I see no problem then screw it. If worse comes to worse I have my eye on a very lightly used 2K max engine down the street from me for $1K.
Old 04-28-2001, 10:50 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Let's see here, you were going 95mph when you hit 2nd, so technically (according to my math of 65mph = 6500rpms in 2nd) engine rpms would have been at 9500 at 95mph. I doubt you got up to this rpm, but I'm pretty sure you were well over 8000. Seeing the tach go to 7500 is pretty meaningless, because the tach wire can't keep up with a motor that is literally dumped into a gear. It would be one thing if you were accelerating thru the gear, but since you dumped into it, it's an entirely different scenario.

I seriously wish you the best and I will be VERY impressed if the VQ can handle that kind of rpm under some serious boost. However, "usually" when this happens, the ending result is pretty catastrophic (sp). I've seen this happen in LT1s, LS1s, 1.8 VVTL-i, B16A, and B18C5. Valves can get bent, pistons can get mared, cranks can bend/crack, and bearings can be spun.

Dave
Old 04-29-2001, 12:05 AM
RussMaxManiac

Emax, you seem to not get the point, DOESN'T matter if your foot was NOT on the gas. Your tires where making your engine SPIN radically over the redline mark, without any gas being applied. Your TACH will not respond as fast either and you probably hit at least 8k. You are saying stuff you have no idea about, and other people who know about the cars and have personally done it there selves in the past know there ****! You goofed up something else, expect more repairs when your car is checked. A clutch DOES not make you loose power....

Originally posted by emax95

Well my car only reved up to 7.5K rpm's{I saw} and my foot was not on the gas so in another words the engine barely went over redline. So that should equal no engine damage. Also the engine does not make any funny noises at all. What happened was I went to slam it into 4th and it did not go in so I yanked at it again{at this point the RPM's droped down to 1-2K rpm's} and then when the car finaly went into 2nd it jurked for a half of a second at most. I did not hit the gas I just pushed the clutch right into nuetral.

I just called the SOB tow truck guy and my car is still sitting there un-locked on the side of the street. I gave the guy a piece of mind this time.

Old 04-29-2001, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
Let's see here, you were going 95mph when you hit 2nd, so technically (according to my math of 65mph = 6500rpms in 2nd) engine rpms would have been at 9500 at 95mph. I doubt you got up to this rpm, but I'm pretty sure you were well over 8000. Seeing the tach go to 7500 is pretty meaningless, because the tach wire can't keep up with a motor that is literally dumped into a gear. It would be one thing if you were accelerating thru the gear, but since you dumped into it, it's an entirely different scenario.

I seriously wish you the best and I will be VERY impressed if the VQ can handle that kind of rpm under some serious boost. However, "usually" when this happens, the ending result is pretty catastrophic (sp). I've seen this happen in LT1s, LS1s, 1.8 VVTL-i, B16A, and B18C5. Valves can get bent, pistons can get mared, cranks can bend/crack, and bearings can be spun.

Ok well tell me this, if my engine is as smooth as can be running right now, which it is, would that mean it is most likely all right? I started my 95 maxima up and my I30 and listened to both engine side by side and my I30 engine is actualy quiter. If the piston or valves were damaged would'nt my car be making some nasty ticking sounds or something? Also if my engine was cracked would'nt I have a massive oil leak? Please let me know what the sighnes are of a bad engine by looking at it and listening. BTW I put my car back in to nuetral well before it reached the 7.5K rpm mark, it just spun to 7.5K rpm's off of velocity. Please let me know how you feel about my situation with the added info above, Thanks and I appreciate the heads up. Ohh yeah I will do a compression check on my engine on Monday or Tuesday, would that help mew rule out a damaged engine?

I just got my car back! Woo hoo! No one robbed it or anything like that thank god.

Dave
Old 04-29-2001, 07:17 AM

Sorry to hear about your ride Ethan. It was a sweet one i must say. Anyways, the trans should be the least of the probs (clutch at worse) but you may have bent the valves or could have even shot a piston. My friend did the same thing in his NOS fed GTI VR6 and his destroyed his valves and head. Good luck with the car.
Old 04-29-2001, 07:19 AM

Re: Re: are you sure?

I am backing up Ethan on this. I was actually pushing the car to see if the clutch would grab and the whole time Ethan was revving the motor with no problems. The engine was still smooth as silk, no engine lights, no stalling, no ticking, clicking, SMOKE from the exhaust or any sign of having a blown motor. There is definitely no problems with the motor. I was in the car when it happened. The clutch smelled like asbestos burning. emax95 may have tranny problems but we definitely know it's not the motor.
Old 04-29-2001, 10:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: are you sure?

Originally posted by emax95

I appreciate the advice Russ but I really don't think there is any thing a matter with my engine. For the following reasons, 1st the car made no weird noises other then for the tenth of a second it reved up to about 7.5K RPM{thats nothing}, also the engine sounds as smooth as silf which means to ticking or any thing like that. My mane reasoning against engine damage is that the car only reved up to 7.5K RPM's which is barely above redline and also only 0.45 Rpm's higher then the JWT ecu had and also I did not hit the gas when I did this so I really dow't there is any engine damage at all and if there is It is transperent and what you don't know don't hurt yeah.

Pmar thanks for the input I appreciate it and lets just pray that it was just the TOB.

On a side note my car is still sitting in MA were it broke down. The damn AAA has some other companys tow trunk working for them, anyways I just got off the phone with him and he said he is going to pick it up in a hour. This is BS, he was supposed to have allready towed my car hours ago. Well I will be reporting him to AAA for his negligance. SOB!
i don't think it's the engine either. my '90 had to have the engine replaced when the valves got busted. the place that did the timing didn't do it right (but they were cool about replacing the engine, thank goodness). it did make an awefully noise, but it ran for several mile before it died. if you had no signs of strange noise (and i'm sure you KNOW your car VERY well as most people here do, you would have noticed it right away i'm sure.). best of luck on the repair.

kafene.
Old 04-30-2001, 09:02 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Re: oh ya

I guess someone I live with saw you guys on the highway. So that's what happened.
Old 04-30-2001, 09:11 AM

i showed a nissan tech your post and he thinks that you are in trouble.

clutch and tranny are both prolly dead.

but you might have lucked out on your engine if it sounds and revs fine.
Old 04-30-2001, 09:20 AM
is invisible

Back when I was learning to drive stick, I accidently shoved my '83 Jeep CJ-7 (4-spd) from 3 into R, while going about 40mph. As soon as I heard the grinding, I popped her back in 3. Trust me, I was going for 4th gear.
But it was a Jeep, so nothing happened.

Good luck with your car, dude!
Old 04-30-2001, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by Pervis Anathema
I hope your car isn't hurt to bad. If it was me, I would almost be in tears...
I was surprised tho! He was still in remarkably good spirits despite the mishap.

Welp Emax it was nice to see ya and I hope the car is back on the road again soon!!

Old 04-30-2001, 11:12 AM

Emax, you seem to not get the point, DOESN'T matter if your foot was NOT on the gas. Your tires where making your engine SPIN radically over the redline mark, without any gas being applied. Your TACH will not respond as fast either and you probably hit at least 8k. You are saying stuff you have no idea about, and other people who know about the cars and have personally done it there selves in the past know there ****! You goofed up something else, expect more repairs when your car is checked. A clutch DOES not make you loose power....

Jesus effing Christ give the guy a break!! He screwed up his car and is bummin enough about it as it is. You don't have to be so arrogant and condescending to the guy.

And you might want to at least entertain the possibility that his car only sustained minor damage, instead of condemning it to the junkyard and being a dink about it.

For god's sake...
Old 04-30-2001, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Francis96se
i showed a nissan tech your post and he thinks that you are in trouble.

clutch and tranny are both prolly dead.

but you might have lucked out on your engine if it sounds and revs fine.

I think the tranny is allright for a few reasons, the most important being the Clutch gives{breaks} before the transmision does, it kind of a protection system agains stupid acts like mine. Also the gear lever feels the same and the syncros are all still intact. Also before the car completly died I still had a little juice left in 1st and reverse. Well I will be finding out by Next Monday, lets all have a little Prayre for me, hehe.
Old 04-30-2001, 11:28 AM

Wow, I just saw this post. Lets see here, every one of the members here who have done this to there MAXIMA have reported either no damgage, Broken TOB or at worst a broken Clutch. So I guess they do no there $hit and if there **** is the same as my **** I guess I don't have to expect any huge repair bills. In short learn your ****. Also a Clutch DOES make you loose your power, all of it infact. I have broken multiple Clutches and my car feels and smelt Identical to previose clutch failiers. Anyways we will all find out by next Monday when the new Clutch goes in.
Old 04-30-2001, 11:33 AM

You are correct emax95. The clutch is supposed to be protection from stripping gears and blowing the tranny. You'll know if you have tranny problems when you fix the clutch. Dude, you should try to make your way to NJ for the meet there on June 3rd. I paid for round trip and only got a one way. LOL!!!
Old 04-30-2001, 12:35 PM
RussMaxManiac

Umm he asked for advice we gave it, then he says its not what we say. Seems to me he knows more than we do, don't understand why he asked for advice then. Like we said, he has more problems than he thinks.

Originally posted by MaineI30

Jesus effing Christ give the guy a break!! He screwed up his car and is bummin enough about it as it is. You don't have to be so arrogant and condescending to the guy.

And you might want to at least entertain the possibility that his car only sustained minor damage, instead of condemning it to the junkyard and being a dink about it.

For god's sake...

Old 04-30-2001, 12:51 PM

Umm he asked for advice we gave it, then he says its not what we say. Seems to me he knows more than we do, don't understand why he asked for advice then. Like we said, he has more problems than he thinks.

Many people also said I do not have more problems then I think. I appreciate advice but I am getting mixed advice and the positive advice is comming from the people who have had the same problem with the same car, not hear say. I accept the possibility that my Tranny may be damaged but judging by things I know and the info I recieved from members here, there very well maybe no damage to my Tranny.
You seem very closed minded and negative on the situation, that is why Anthony spoke up and did too. Like I said before there is only one way to find out if my Tranny is toast and I will know on Monday. Ohh yeah it would be nice to know the simptoms of a Damaged tranny, like it won't move into the gears or it would be leaking tranny fluid?
Old 04-30-2001, 12:54 PM

agreed

Originally posted by MaineI30

For god's sake...
I totally agree. Remember when that skipper Jackie Aprille had cancer, and this dude Mikey Palmeri visits him at the hospital and all he does is talk about how cancer takes so many young men before their time, all the rest of the Soprano crew were like what the **** is wrong with this guy? He's like the grim effing reaper. Maybe he's right, but you wonder what his motivation is, and nobody liked the guy. Maybe there are some parallels, who knows.

You know something, even if the car is damaged, at least there wasn't any accident so that's the important thing. That other post was crazy too where the guy said he just showed the post to a Nissan mechanic and there is serious whatever. I mean how are these posts supposed to be constructive in any way? Hopefully the damage will be minimal, but none of us know for sure. My take was if the motor idled that was a good sign. Usually clatter is indicative of internal damage.

Quick Reply: Nightmare occure at maxima meet today!