General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Nightmare occure at maxima meet today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2001, 01:08 PM
RussMaxManiac

A clutch won't cuase loss of power, if a clutch was gone the car won't move, the tranny however if the gears are seized, then yes it will cause the car not to move really and make the engine work really hard trying to make it move. Your clutch MIGHT be okay, but the tranny might be seized which in turn will cause your clutch to burn up since its just spinning agains tthe flywheel and you are not moving much.

Some of us have been here for 5 yrs and seen many things happen, and since I live in texas with some of the fastest maximas PERIOD, I have seen many things happen to many Maximas and giving you the advice on what it sounded like. Now that I got more info from you on the problem, this is my explanation above. Still do not count out that you could have engine problems, but if it rev's fine and no ticks, etc you are probably fine. Also, just to let you know, back in 98, I mis-shifted my 98, hit 2nd, instead of 4th, and rpms tapped 9k, after clutch was already pushed back down, but the engine had the momentum to still climb, car was fine after that. Strong engine for sure.

Originally posted by emax95

Many people also said I do not have more problems then I think. I appreciate advice but I am getting mixed advice and the positive advice is comming from the people who have had the same problem with the same car, not hear say. I accept the possibility that my Tranny may be damaged but judging by things I know and the info I recieved from members here, there very well maybe no damage to my Tranny.
You seem very closed minded and negative on the situation, that is why Anthony spoke up and did too. Like I said before there is only one way to find out if my Tranny is toast and I will know on Monday. Ohh yeah it would be nice to know the simptoms of a Damaged tranny, like it won't move into the gears or it would be leaking tranny fluid?

Old 04-30-2001, 02:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Russ2kSE
A clutch won't cuase loss of power, if a clutch was gone the car won't move, the tranny however if the gears are seized, then yes it will cause the car not to move really and make the engine work really hard trying to make it move. Your clutch MIGHT be okay, but the tranny might be seized which in turn will cause your clutch to burn up since its just spinning agains tthe flywheel and you are not moving much.

Some of us have been here for 5 yrs and seen many things happen, and since I live in texas with some of the fastest maximas PERIOD, I have seen many things happen to many Maximas and giving you the advice on what it sounded like. Now that I got more info from you on the problem, this is my explanation above. Still do not count out that you could have engine problems, but if it rev's fine and no ticks, etc you are probably fine. Also, just to let you know, back in 98, I mis-shifted my 98, hit 2nd, instead of 4th, and rpms tapped 9k, after clutch was already pushed back down, but the engine had the momentum to still climb, car was fine after that. Strong engine for sure.

Well thanks again for the info Russ. I have a few questions though, if my gears seized whould I not be able to shift from one gear to another when the car is Parked? Well my shift lever feels the same as it always did so maybe that would meen my gears are ok? Maybe? Also with my past experienced with Clutch failier my car would not move a hair it would just rev up and nothing whould happen and I could still swith the gears fine. Also I have a fresh change of redline MTL in my Tranny and also a fresh change of Amsoil in my engine. BTW I just finished my Engine Compression Test and the readings came out PERFECT!!! Woo hoo! The reading for each cylinder is 168PSI on the dot. I also checked my oil dip stick and there was no water drops on it, also I looked at my exaust fumes and there is no white smoke comming out! So my engine seems to be 100%! Which is great because I could not afford to have it replaced. On another note if my Clutch was fine and my Tranny was damaged whould I be able to use say 1st gear or 3rd gear or maybe reverse etc ?

Heres a ??? For you since you seem to know so much, if I check my Tranny fluid would it be able to tell me if my tranny is all right? Maybe I would see shiny fluid if it is damaged? Or what should I see or not see? Thanks for your help Russ. Ohh yeah you said your tranny was all right and you hit 9K Rpm's whouldnt that meen that maybe mine is all right too? thanks again
Old 04-30-2001, 02:25 PM
RussMaxManiac

My car was fine, but you broke something most likely cause of all the EXTRA power you have from the SC. It put alot more force on the tranny components and clutch. This is what happened a long time ago when the ORGINAL Climax use to be here. He went through at least 4-6 trannies on his Max when racing. He kept blowing them up. Well he was able to hit other gears, but it made grinding noises, or other stuff. He once told me he drove home in R because he could not get it in 1-5th gears. It is possible that you can get it in gear but the tranny is bad. If you crawl under the car, there is a rod, its not directly into the tranny, it just guides the gear to hit the next one, it won't stop it from hitting broken gears or nothing at all if it blew up. It is possible that you can tell by draining the tranny, and the better way to drain it to tell is remove the sensor on the bottom since it is the lowest part of the tranny and will allow most of the crap to come out. Have a CLEAR glass big bowl when you drain it so you can look inside of it. Now that really sounds like your engine is in perfect working order by the compression test. I would no longer worry about your engine. Tell me exact what happens when you put it in 1st, slowly release the clutch and what sounds, how does the clutch feel, etc?

Originally posted by emax95

Well thanks again for the info Russ. I have a few questions though, if my gears seized whould I not be able to shift from one gear to another when the car is Parked? Well my shift lever feels the same as it always did so maybe that would meen my gears are ok? Maybe? Also with my past experienced with Clutch failier my car would not move a hair it would just rev up and nothing whould happen and I could still swith the gears fine. Also I have a fresh change of redline MTL in my Tranny and also a fresh change of Amsoil in my engine. BTW I just finished my Engine Compression Test and the readings came out PERFECT!!! Woo hoo! The reading for each cylinder is 168PSI on the dot. I also checked my oil dip stick and there was no water drops on it, also I looked at my exaust fumes and there is no white smoke comming out! So my engine seems to be 100%! Which is great because I could not afford to have it replaced. On another note if my Clutch was fine and my Tranny was damaged whould I be able to use say 1st gear or 3rd gear or maybe reverse etc ?

Heres a ??? For you since you seem to know so much, if I check my Tranny fluid would it be able to tell me if my tranny is all right? Maybe I would see shiny fluid if it is damaged? Or what should I see or not see? Thanks for your help Russ. Ohh yeah you said your tranny was all right and you hit 9K Rpm's whouldnt that meen that maybe mine is all right too? thanks again

Old 04-30-2001, 03:05 PM

My car was fine, but you broke something most likely cause of all the EXTRA power you have from the SC. It put alot more force on the tranny components and clutch. This is what happened a long time ago when the ORGINAL Climax use to be here. He went through at least 4-6 trannies on his Max when racing. He kept blowing them up. Well he was able to hit other gears, but it made grinding noises, or other stuff. He once told me he drove home in R because he could not get it in 1-5th gears. It is possible that you can get it in gear but the tranny is bad. If you crawl under the car, there is a rod, its not directly into the tranny, it just guides the gear to hit the next one, it won't stop it from hitting broken gears or nothing at all if it blew up. It is possible that you can tell by draining the tranny, and the better way to drain it to tell is remove the sensor on the bottom since it is the lowest part of the tranny and will allow most of the crap to come out. Have a CLEAR glass big bowl when you drain it so you can look inside of it. Now that really sounds like your engine is in perfect working order by the compression test. I would no longer worry about your engine. Tell me exact what happens when you put it in 1st, slowly release the clutch and what sounds, how does the clutch feel, etc?

When I put my car in first gear and release the clutch the engine just revs up and nothing happens, I tried every gear 1-5 and R and the same thing happens and there is no noise at all, it just sounds like I am reving my car up in Nuetral. If I release the clutch pedal in any gear the car still idles rather then stalling out. These symptoms match exactly to the sypmtoms I had on previus destroyed clutches. Also there is no grinding noises when I switch in and out of gears, it feels the same as it did before this incident. Thanks again for helping me out, I will drain my tranny fluid tomarrow and examine it.
Old 04-30-2001, 03:12 PM

I'd listen to Russ, he has lots of experience ****ing up VQ's.. LOL
Old 04-30-2001, 03:16 PM

The engine is fine. The clutch is gone. The tranny may be damaged but the only way tranny can be checked for sure is after Emax is able to drive it. Like I said before, I was in the car when it happened. No smoke or stalling. The engine was smooth as silk. Emax, you did a good job building that car.
Old 04-30-2001, 03:36 PM

What does Emax have to do with building the tranny/engine? He didn't do it, Nissan did. Anywayz, since the batteries in your sarcasm detector must be low, below is what Russ did to his old 4th gen..
Old 04-30-2001, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Maximamike
What does Emax have to do with building the tranny/engine? He didn't do it, Nissan did. Anywayz, since the batteries in your sarcasm detector must be low, below is what Russ did to his old 4th gen..
Whatever, don't get smart. Emax knows what I mean. I was there in the car when it happened, so you mind your damn business if you can't prove me wrong.
Old 04-30-2001, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by deezo
Whatever, don't get smart. Emax knows what I mean. I was there in the car when it happened, so you mind your damn business if you can't prove me wrong.
Don't get smart? A. Who the hell are you? and B. Where am I getting smart? Did Starbucks run out of De-caf or something? Calm down. Oh, btw, this is my business. Ethan posted on a public forum, so therefore it is everyones business. I don't care if you were on the moon when it happened, it still doesn't mean you're right.
Old 04-30-2001, 04:17 PM

Anywayz, since the batteries in your sarcasm detector must be low, below is what Russ did to his old 4th gen..
You know what Mike, I am not going to take this to heart. My girl ****ed me off and I am venting. Sorry dude.
Old 04-30-2001, 04:18 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

DAMN

I feel so bad for you Emax, I think your car was awsome man... Let me tell ya though, my friend used to have 2 Mustangs, 1st 1 was a 91 or 92 5.0 5spd, he got it barely knowing how to drive stick and used to miss shifts, shift wrong etc.. His clutch was gone in 2 weeks.... He sold that Mustang later on and got a 95 GT spd, I drove with him and he beat the **** out of that car, I think he was skipping gears upshifting from like 2-4 on purpose.. He lost control once because he did what you did, put it in 2nd instead of 4th and yes, his clutch was gone his car was phukked because when he lost control he hit the siderail and messed up the front fender, when it was fixed he killed the gear box eventually after most likely another few episodes similar to that... the kid is nuts but the Mustang's tranny took enough abuse for 30+k before it went out.. I'm sure he's done what you did more then once but the tranny was still ok.. I don't know how many clutches he went through or other damages sustained, he totalled it a little while ago..

I hope everything is fine and it's only the clutch and not as bad as others said...
Old 04-30-2001, 04:27 PM

Your an idiot!!!.. Take a high speed driving course before you try driving like you are a racecar driver.
Old 04-30-2001, 04:29 PM

If you don't know, then get a f***in clue. Don't get up here trying to degrade what I am talking about just to get a laugh out of sombody. I am am not commenting on what anyone else said. Russ cares about emax's ride too and I know that. People always hidin behind a damn keyboard tryin to start some bullsh*t.
Hiding? What the **** do you want me to do? Go to your house and say it to you? Of course, I am behind a keyboard! How the hell else would this message be posted? You're behind a keyboard too! I didn't try to degrade anything. Just because you cannot take a joke doesn't mean no one else can. I know Russ is caring about his ride, and so am I. I just made some comments and you decided to say something. Me get a ****ing clue? How about you chill out then re-read my posts slowly.
Anyways, just because the engine is as smooth as silk doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. You could have cracked a head or block very minorly. Also, something in the heads could be thrown out of spec, not enough to cause noise but enough to cause trouble down the road. The rapid spinning of the engine could have also thrown the pistons into the valves very minorly and caused a problem. I would have the compression tested, the tranny/differential looked at and have the engine closely looked over. You're lucky it didn't run lean with the high revving/boost/tranny mis-shift, run lean and blow a rod through the size of the block.
Old 04-30-2001, 04:30 PM

Emax

How do you perform a compression test, i need to do one to see if i can add NOS, also what are the stock specs for my 95SE, anybody know this info??
Old 04-30-2001, 04:31 PM

Here we go. Yo' Emax don't even answer that.
Old 04-30-2001, 04:31 PM

So EMax, whats up with the car? Did you get it looked at?
Old 04-30-2001, 04:33 PM

Hiding? What the **** do you want me to do? Go to your house and say it to you? Of course, I am behind a keyboard! How the hell else would this message be posted? You're behind a keyboard too! I didn't try to degrade anything. Just because you cannot take a joke doesn't mean no one else can. I know Russ is caring about his ride, and so am I. I just made some comments and you decided to say something. Me get a ****ing clue? How about you chill out then re-read my posts slowly.
Anyways, just because the engine is as smooth as silk doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. You could have cracked a head or block very minorly. Also, something in the heads could be thrown out of spec, not enough to cause noise but enough to cause trouble down the road. The rapid spinning of the engine could have also thrown the pistons into the valves very minorly and caused a problem. I would have the compression tested, the tranny/differential looked at and have the engine closely looked over. You're lucky it didn't run lean with the high revving/boost/tranny mis-shift, run lean and blow a rod through the size of the block.
You know what Mike, I am not going to take this to heart. My girl ****ed me off and I am venting. Sorry dude.
Old 04-30-2001, 04:40 PM

No prob man. Thanks for telling me before I really went nuts.. : )
Old 04-30-2001, 04:42 PM

Deezo

Are you telling him not to answer my post? Cause i asked a serious question, just wanna clarify before i get ill tempered, i thought this board was so that we could all learn **** bout our cars not hide information.
Old 04-30-2001, 04:43 PM

Not at all!!!!!

Look at Maxipad96's post.
Old 04-30-2001, 04:45 PM

No prob man. Thanks for telling me before I really went nuts.. : )
Thanks for the laugh dude. These days I have been needing them. Sarcasm, gotcha!!!
Old 04-30-2001, 04:46 PM

oh

Then my sincerest apologies for accusing you in the first place. Does anyone know the info i need?
Old 04-30-2001, 04:57 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: oh

Originally posted by MaximaRider
Then my sincerest apologies for accusing you in the first place. Does anyone know the info i need?

Damn, a bunch of misunderstandings during the last few posts. lol... temper temper!
Old 04-30-2001, 05:01 PM

Re: Re: oh

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

Damn, a bunch of misunderstandings during the last few posts. lol... temper temper!
I don't know man. I need to chill. My girl's been acting up and when I am ****ed I am quick to jump. Not heathly. Now back to the cars.
Old 04-30-2001, 05:05 PM

he is an idiot though
Old 04-30-2001, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by MaxiPad96
he is an idiot though
Just meeting the guy for the first time at our meet, I can asure you he is not an idiot. He is probably one of the people you would want on your side if you needed help with the Max. He made a mistake and now his clutch is gone.
Old 04-30-2001, 05:26 PM

I dont need help though

Just meeting the guy for the first time at our meet, I can asure you he is not an idiot. He is probably one of the people you would want on your side if you needed help with the Max. He made a mistake and now his clutch is gone.
Old 04-30-2001, 05:33 PM

dude you need to find a comare

I don't know man. I need to chill. My girl's been acting up and when I am ****ed I am quick to jump. Not heathly. Now back to the cars.
aka goomah, goomar I found one who lives on Ave. U from St. Petersburg. They are really nice people, loyal as he**. Only joking though, started out as a goomah and replaced the regular. When you earn you don't you can be a chooser.
Old 04-30-2001, 06:20 PM

i was just thinking.....

emax do u still have ur max??? doesn't the max and i30 got the same shiit on it... if ur clutch, transmission, or wtf else is wrong with it....then just do a swap...if ur engine is fuucked then swap the engine....if ur transmission is fuucked then swap the transmission....if ur clutch is fuucked then swap the clutch...u get the idea....if u ain't got ur max no more then nevermind this post....if this idea had already come up then nevermind this post...
Old 04-30-2001, 07:33 PM

Lol this threads getting woerd fast.

MaximaMike, I did do a full test on my engine which included a compression test, checked my exaust for smoke, looked at my dip stick for water drops and listened closely to my maximas engine and compared noises to each other. The results were a perfect compression consisting of 168 PSI per cylinder, they were all exactly the same to the dot, the engine on my I30 is quiter then my perfectly runn9ing 95 max's engine, there is no smoke in the exaust and no water drops on my dip stick. So my engine seems to be 100%.
The Clutch and tranny are another story though.

Maxipad96, what I did was stupid, very stupid, but I now how to shift 99.999999% of the time. Anyhow loosen up a little and try to be cool once in a while.

Deezo thanks for backing me up when I am not around.

MaximaRider, to test your compression you have to buy a compression gage and hose from pepboys{or other car store}, it cost me $25. Next start your car up until it reaches full operating temperature, then shut it down. Now remove all of your spark plugs and set them a side in order so you know to put them all back in the right cylinders. Now get your guage out and screw it's hose into were your spark plug goes. Now go inside your car press down your Clutch and gas pedal and let your starter turn{turn the key} your engine for about 5 seconds. Now quickly look at the compression guage reading and write it down. Make sure you set up a piece of paper ahead of time that sais example Down left Cylinder={fill in the blank etc}. Now do each one of your clylinders and compare them all when your completed your tests. The #'s should all be very simalar but a general rule of thumb is they should be within 10% of each other. Each one of my Cylinders read 168 PSI to the dot.

Yellow Brother, I am not going to mess with my 95 max because the car is in perfect shape and I need to sell it soon. Interesting idea though, I have thought about buying a smashed up max and use it as a parts car. No $$$ for that now though.
Old 04-30-2001, 07:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Man, that sucks. I love your car. I hope you can figure out the problem with your tranny/clutch and hopefully you'll be able to give us some nice 1/4 times with your car.
Old 04-30-2001, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Ants97SE
Man, that sucks. I love your car. I hope you can figure out the problem with your tranny/clutch and hopefully you'll be able to give us some nice 1/4 times with your car.
Don't worry my car will be better then ever by sometime next week. My new Clutch will be in very soon probably Friday or Saturday.
Old 04-30-2001, 08:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Umm he asked for advice we gave it, then he says its not what we say. Seems to me he knows more than we do, don't understand why he asked for advice then. Like we said, he has more problems than he thinks.

I guess my point is -- you don't know that. You might be right, but you might be wrong.

We'll see I guess.