General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Alignment. More Dealership Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 11:17 AM

Alignment. More Dealership Problems.

I have a 2004 Maxima SL. It is a four-speed automatic because I got it early. Anyway, I brought the car to a dealer because the wheel pulled to the left when I braked or accelerated. After a dispute with the dealer, I ended up with two new front struts (under warranty) and a realignment (that I had to pay for). The dealer found no other problems.

The car still drives weird, as if it wasn't aligned properly. When I brake, the steering wheel pulls to the left. When I speed up, the steering wheel pulls. When the wheel is straight, the car goes to the left. I feel this is an alignment problem of some sort.

Furthermore, the car sounds "off". They cleaned the throttle and I think that they might have weirded things up.

Should I bring the car back into the dealer and have them check it out again? That particular dealer keeps doing unwanted stuff. How can I stop them from doing that? Can I bring the car to another dealer for the work? I mean, the alignment and throttle problem should be covered by the dealer as warranty for their work (not the warranty of the car).

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yes. if you don't belive it was repaired properly.take it back and make sure everything is documented. its best to have these problems taken care of while you still have manufactures warranty. If they cannot resolve the problem you maybe entitled to lemon law buy back. don't let the dealership screw you around.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:40 AM

Next time test drive the car after they have finished working on it to make sure they did the job right. If they didn't, take the car right back to them.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:19 PM

Definitely go to a new dealer.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Next time you go back to Star, speak to Hogan and ONLY hogan.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:50 PM

First of all, why would you have to pay for an alignment, that is, if your car were under 12k? I had mine done 3X until they got it right. If they don't want to provide a print out showing that the specs are in range, then imho they have to align the car based on your observation. There is some truth to the crown in the road theory. Go to Canada where there are no crowns going into Montreal. Your car that pulls in NYC might track straight there.

It's good to know that Nissan hasn't improved their customer service in 7 years. When my car was brand new, the dealer that sold me the car said "don't go by the Nissan logo on the steering wheel." Mine was clearly off-center at 300 miles. I took it to another dealer in the area and they said take it back where you bought it, we're not getting stuck if Nissan doesn't pay us for the warranty work. I almost got into fisticuffs with a svc. adjustor in Metro Phila. when he told me that at 26k (go back to where you bought it for warr. work, which was in nY). When he threatened to call the police I backed-off, but I Nextel'd a coworker and said rude things about the dealership over my speakerphone in front of other customers and staff, so he gave me my keys back. A sales guy even told him to his face that he was wrong.

Shift = SH**!
Old 02-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by willdotcom
I brought the car to a dealer because the wheel pulled to the left when I braked or accelerated.

The car still drives weird, as if it wasn't aligned properly. When I brake, the steering wheel pulls to the left. When I speed up, the steering wheel pulls. When the wheel is straight, the car goes to the left.
Something tells me you have a tire problem going on. Rotate them left to right and see if it follows the rotation. If not, then bring it back to the dealer or a good front end shop and let them align the car.

The 6th gen is known to have bad torque steer, so the pull while accelerating might be sort of normal.

What tires are on the car?
Old 02-16-2005, 02:58 AM

I could certainly be wrong, but the acceleration part of what you're describing sounds a lot like torque steer, particularly since the symptoms persisted after the alignment. Although the Maxima is still a great car, it is afflicted with a particularly noticeable case of TS. Personally, I've always been exceptionally sensitive to steering feel and balance, and TS is the primary reason I drive a rear wheel drive G35 instead of a Max. A lot of people who've never driven RWD don't appreciate how much influence power delivery has on steering. You might try driving a G sedan just for comparison sake -- virtually the same engine, similar emphasis in driveline design (different mechanicals, of course), similar vehicle weight. I test drove a Max too when I ultimately bought the G, and I loved the Max (way more stuff per $), except for the steering. If you punch the gas in a G, it does one thing: it takes off like a rocket in exactly and only the direction you point it. Sadly, that's not the case in the Max.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:11 AM

Torque Steer?

I have 16.5 K on the vehicle. At first I thought it was torque steer, but the steering pulls to the left severely when I brake to a complete, straight stop. I have to pull the wheel slightly to the right to keep the car straight. I got the car aligned outside of Nissan about a month ago. The problem was still there so I brought it to the dealership. The problem is the same no matter where I drive the car, even on straight, new roads--both ways. I'm baffled.

I have the stock Continentals on the car. The tires are all properly inflated. I will try rotating the tires around and see if the tilt follows it around. That sounds like a good suggestion.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Torkaholic
I could certainly be wrong, but the acceleration part of what you're describing sounds a lot like torque steer, particularly since the symptoms persisted after the alignment. Although the Maxima is still a great car, it is afflicted with a particularly noticeable case of TS. Personally, I've always been exceptionally sensitive to steering feel and balance, and TS is the primary reason I drive a rear wheel drive G35 instead of a Max. A lot of people who've never driven RWD don't appreciate how much influence power delivery has on steering. You might try driving a G sedan just for comparison sake -- virtually the same engine, similar emphasis in driveline design (different mechanicals, of course), similar vehicle weight. I test drove a Max too when I ultimately bought the G, and I loved the Max (way more stuff per $), except for the steering. If you punch the gas in a G, it does one thing: it takes off like a rocket in exactly and only the direction you point it. Sadly, that's not the case in the Max.
Don't drive a G35, drive a 330i with performance package. They are going for 36.5k since the new 330i is only weeks away. If you want to experience RWD, then you want an extreme difference that can really be felt.

Still, I cannot fathom why everyone is speculating. When the vehicle goes on the alignment rack, it spits out a report when the tech is done. Why not look at that paper instead of guessing what's wrong?
Old 02-17-2005, 07:24 PM

...the steering pulls to the left severely when I brake to a complete, straight stop. I have to pull the wheel slightly to the right to keep the car straight.
So you haven't brought the vehicle to about 60mph on a straight/leveled enough road, with your foot of the gas, straight steering wheel and your hands off it? Your car pulls to the left when you are braking only? Besides alignment being unequal on each side; a stuck/frozen caliper piston, disc being scored can cause brake pull; which might be what the problem is. Brake pads being contaminated with oil or the lining of the pads being cracked or distorted can also cause the vehicle to pull when you are braking. Low tire pressure on one side will do it also but you already checked that. Could be a tire related like stated previously. Like said earlier without looking looking at the printout all this is pure speculation.

...Should I bring the car back into the dealer and have them check it out again? That particular dealer keeps doing unwanted stuff. How can I stop them from doing that? Can I bring the car to another dealer for the work? I mean, the alignment and throttle problem should be covered by the dealer as warranty for their work (not the warranty of the car).
If they try to sell you something that you don't think the car need then decline it. And yes the dealer should warranty the work they perform on your vehicle. If that is what you have to do then insist that they provide a print out of the alignment. Is your car modded or do you remember hitting something? Why did the dealer feel the need to replace the front struts? Good luck and let us know the outcome.