General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Crashed the max.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 08:15 AM

Crashed the max.

Was over on the other side of the state, playing a hockey tourney, and I rear ended someone. It was my fault, but I wasn't driving like an idiot. I was trying to get to a left hand turn lane, and I had to get across 3 lanes of traffic. The first lane, someone let me in. The second lane was hard to see, so when I saw that I had an open lane, I went for it, and started accelerating...before I knew it, the left hand turn lane was right there, so I started braking, and my brakes locked up on me. New pavement didn' t help my situation either, so I slid about 70 feet into the back of a ford windstar. I was only going about 40mph when I started to brake. My tires didn't squeal or anything, I just slid.

Estimated damage on my car is 4500 with non OEM parts (just about what it's worth stock) but my insurance company didn't total it, so I'm getting pretty much an entire new front end (cosmetic). The only aftermarket part on my car that was damaged was my cefiros. One was completely destroyed, the other was bent out of shape, so I'll be getting the stockers back in there. The good thing is that everyone is alright, and if I would've been able to unlock my brakes, I would've flown into oncoming traffic, because I tried to jump the median to get out of the way. It was a win/lose situation.

Dan
Old 02-25-2005, 08:21 AM

ahh sorry to hear that bro... good luck with the new front .... good thing nobody got hurt... Get the brakes checked out also..
Old 02-25-2005, 08:22 AM

That sucks, but good you're ok!
Old 02-25-2005, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by GoalieKeg
Was over on the other side of the state, playing a hockey tourney, and I rear ended someone. It was my fault, but I wasn't driving like an idiot. I was trying to get to a left hand turn lane, and I had to get across 3 lanes of traffic. The first lane, someone let me in. The second lane was hard to see, so when I saw that I had an open lane, I went for it, and started accelerating...before I knew it, the left hand turn lane was right there, so I started braking, and my brakes locked up on me. New pavement didn' t help my situation either, so I slid about 70 feet into the back of a ford windstar. I was only going about 40mph when I started to brake. My tires didn't squeal or anything, I just slid.

Estimated damage on my car is 4500 with non OEM parts (just about what it's worth stock) but my insurance company didn't total it, so I'm getting pretty much an entire new front end (cosmetic). The only aftermarket part on my car that was damaged was my cefiros. One was completely destroyed, the other was bent out of shape, so I'll be getting the stockers back in there. The good thing is that everyone is alright, and if I would've been able to unlock my brakes, I would've flown into oncoming traffic, because I tried to jump the median to get out of the way. It was a win/lose situation.

Dan
i had a similar situation happen to me. I was goin about 30mph headed into an intersection(traffic lights not working) and the guy in front of me stopped short cause he got cut off, i hit my brakes and just slid into him. All i needed was a new bumper and grille thank god. Anyways it just goes to show you how bad the brakes in our cars really are

Ant
Old 02-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

glad to hear that you are ok. too bad about the max i have a thing for sage maximas . at least its not totaled
Old 02-25-2005, 10:28 AM
Offset Is Everything.

hmm abs didnt kick in? dont you guys have that or was that an option? guess that woulda been bad then huh. well i think its time for a BBK jk. anyways good luck with the repairs.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mr****s95SE
hmm abs didnt kick in? dont you guys have that or was that an option? guess that woulda been bad then huh. well i think its time for a BBK jk. anyways good luck with the repairs.
No abs on my car.

I'm looking at retrofitting some 6th gen brakes on the front.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:14 AM

poopier, get those cefiro replacements bish
Old 02-26-2005, 10:02 AM
wat

Originally Posted by ny96max
i had a similar situation happen to me. I was goin about 30mph headed into an intersection(traffic lights not working) and the guy in front of me stopped short cause he got cut off, i hit my brakes and just slid into him. All i needed was a new bumper and grille thank god. Anyways it just goes to show you how bad the brakes in our cars really are

Ant
Are you kidding? I find our brakes to be quite good as far as braking abilities. It all depends on how you drive, i've never come close to rear ending someone. Ive never had abs kick in on dry pavement ever, Im always able to stop the car even in emergency situations without having the abs go on. Maybe its the tires you guys are using?
Old 02-26-2005, 01:17 PM

sorry to hear that man....but i think overall the stock brakes are good as hell. Saved my azz a couple of times. But good luck on your new front end...
Old 02-28-2005, 12:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dan
Thats a *****...sorry to hear that
Old 02-28-2005, 09:16 AM

sorry to hear about that man, the car was looking great. what matters most is that you are ok, and nobody was hurt. good luck.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:19 AM

Dan that sucks man, but at least your ok.
So the Sage will live!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:03 PM

how much damage on the windstar?
Old 02-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Offset Is Everything.

No abs on my car.

I'm looking at retrofitting some 6th gen brakes on the front.
look into matt blehms front and rear bbk. i think he uses 5th gen rotors and 300zx calipers.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by AKM2k5
how much damage on the windstar?

Just scratches. Nothing really major that couldn't be fixed with paint. My car was a different story.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:16 PM

Damn the freaking windstar.. we have one.. weve been hit too many times in the damn thing and it wont die dammit!!! From the back my dads been hit 4 times and its always been scratches while the other cars always get a lot of damage... Fromt the front we even got hit by an 18wheeler and still the fuking thing doesnt get a lot of damage.. the thing is a beast. One thing Im happy about is that its really a safe van and weve been protected real well over the years. Good luck with your car... glad that you are okay
Old 03-01-2005, 01:24 PM

Dan
are you okey man.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:01 PM

sorry to hear about that, but at least your ok.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Glad you're not hurt and definitely glad we didn't lose another hot max! You'll get that baby in shape before you know it!
Old 03-30-2005, 05:27 PM

Dan

glad you're okay and that the max will get fixed.

out of curiosity, what kind of hockey? there isn't much ice in florida.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ny96max
Anyways it just goes to show you how bad the brakes in our cars really are

Ant

If the tires locked up, it shows that the brakes are better than the tires. With better tires, they wouldn't lock up, and you would brake faster.

I have been very pleased with the stock brakes on my car.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by bullfrog
glad you're okay and that the max will get fixed.

out of curiosity, what kind of hockey? there isn't much ice in florida.

Mens A goaltender, C defense. Jr. B goaltender. Our inaugural season was this last year for the newly sanctioned league. Won states last season in Midget for our division, and went to North Carolina and placed 3rd in districts.

You are correct, there isn't much ice. I live by 2 sheets (40 mi away) but the drive is worth it. The next closest rink is 1:30 min away from me.

Back on topic:

The car is now fixed, but I need to work out some paint problems. The front bumper clearcoat is wavy. They faded the paint great, but the paint just simply does not match the rest of the car, and there are a few holes in the clearcoat. The airbags need to be serviced, as they did not go off in the accident, and my friend hit his head on the winshield (no seatbelt).

I'm replacing the one cefiro that was destroyed, and just ordered D2R Phillips bulbs with Denso ballasts, and a D2R to H4 shielded adapter (should give a nice cutoff). Also getting a C/F lip, and yellow capsules for the fogs.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:26 PM

Maybe now your friend will realize that seatbelts are a good idea.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:56 PM

close call
Old 03-30-2005, 08:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Glad to hear things are fine with both you and the other people/person in the van. Werent Windstars marked as the safest van of its time because of how it was designed? I could of remembered reading about something in a car mag about that. So, in a way it doesnt surprise me about the damage to the windstar. It sucks to hear about yours though. Id say get those cefiros replaced as well.