General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Short Shifter install - whose done it themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 12:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ok, today I installed my SMC short throw shifter. I double checked the steps as I went along and I *believe* I did everything right, according to vbmax's site. Here's the problem... The ball pops up sometimes while shifting, which means I can't shift it and have to shove the ball back down to where it belongs and then shift. Has anyone else run into this problem... and maybe it's something simple that I did wrong? I'm gonna have to take the whole assembly apart again next week and do it again and just live with it now but I figured I'd ask if anyone ran into this same problem and figured out the solution.

Thanks,
Old 05-03-2001, 01:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by CKNY
Ok, today I installed my SMC short throw shifter. I double checked the steps as I went along and I *believe* I did everything right, according to vbmax's site. Here's the problem... The ball pops up sometimes while shifting, which means I can't shift it and have to shove the ball back down to where it belongs and then shift. Has anyone else run into this problem... and maybe it's something simple that I did wrong? I'm gonna have to take the whole assembly apart again next week and do it again and just live with it now but I figured I'd ask if anyone ran into this same problem and figured out the solution.

Thanks,
cant tell you for sure since I have a 93 but it may be similar
my kit (pacesetter which is supposedly the same as SMC) came with lower dust boot and circular piece; the upper half that goes over the top of the ball was not included and needed to be reused from the stock shifter
the top part has two bolts that go downward and need to be secured; if you had a 3rd gen, I'd say that's what would cause it, maybe it's something like that. Take a look at them when you take it apart again

it's those 2 bolts in this pic:
Old 05-03-2001, 01:34 PM
Administrator

203 544 8371
Old 05-03-2001, 09:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»

cant tell you for sure since I have a 93 but it may be similar
my kit (pacesetter which is supposedly the same as SMC) came with lower dust boot and circular piece; the upper half that goes over the top of the ball was not included and needed to be reused from the stock shifter
the top part has two bolts that go downward and need to be secured; if you had a 3rd gen, I'd say that's what would cause it, maybe it's something like that. Take a look at them when you take it apart again

it's those 2 bolts in this pic:
That must be it because I did not reuse that peice but I remember it saying something about reusing it, I'm talking about the peive labeled "2" in that picture. Can i ask you... does that peice go around the ball or above it??