General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

FSTB Problems Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 02:25 PM

I installed a FSTB not long ago and now when I turn into a parking stall or turning hard right or left I hear a POP sound. Sometimes it's louder and other times you can't hear it that much. I turned into a stall at lunch and it was a real loud pop. It's getting annoying is this normal? I took my car and put it on a lift and saw no visual damage or bent or rubbing items. I ready to take this thing off to see if it stops. If it stops then will a better bar be needed? ACkkkk help plz

Thanks,
Rob
Old 05-03-2001, 03:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Gumby510
I installed a FSTB not long ago and now when I turn into a parking stall or turning hard right or left I hear a POP sound. Sometimes it's louder and other times you can't hear it that much. I turned into a stall at lunch and it was a real loud pop. It's getting annoying is this normal? I took my car and put it on a lift and saw no visual damage or bent or rubbing items. I ready to take this thing off to see if it stops. If it stops then will a better bar be needed? ACkkkk help plz

Thanks,
Rob
If you hear the noise from using the strut bar then something is wrong. Make sure it's not to tight or too loose. As everyone says here, use a torque wrench.

Torque should be 30 pounds.
Old 05-03-2001, 03:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Did you lift up the car when installing fstb? It should be on the ground during the instal.
What kind of fstb did u get?
Old 05-03-2001, 04:07 PM

help

Originally posted by AndyXXL
Did you lift up the car when installing fstb? It should be on the ground during the instal.
What kind of fstb did u get?
Yes Car was on the ground when it was put on, and I got one from Procarparts.com not sure of the brand. I'm going to take it off to see if the poping sound goes away. It's a scary sounding pop man like metal to metal rubbing and one giving way. If the car is at a stand still and you turn the wheel back and forth I get no pop. If I'm rolling over a speed bump or just slowly pulling into a parking stall I get a pop sound. So it only happens it seems when I'm rolling / moving.
I took it and put it on the lift no damage or weird looking parts. Well I will pull it off tonight and drive it and see. Then If all is good I will put it on and torque it back and see what happens. Could it be I have a cheap bar?

Rob
Old 05-03-2001, 04:22 PM

Re: help

I don't think the problem is in the bar. Check for ripped off bolts that are usually caused by over tightening.
Old 05-03-2001, 04:29 PM

Which Bolts

You mean the strut tower bolts? I will pull it off and see if they are broke.

R
Old 05-03-2001, 04:32 PM

Re: Which Bolts

R
Yes, the strut tower bolts.
Old 05-03-2001, 06:14 PM

Re: Re: Which Bolts

Yes, the strut tower bolts.
Well I took it to autozone and asked the guy about the strut tower bracket and told him of the problem. He went out front and rocked the car back and forth and said the HAlfshaft was not moving with the wheel like it was suppose to. That when you turn thats the poping sound I'm hearing. Anyone can confrim this for me? Ack 100 a side special order. I'm always weary of autozone counter jocks, some know there stuff some don't it's like winning megabucks if you get a good one.

R
Old 05-03-2001, 06:22 PM

halfshaft

I did a search and daniel martin said this

"A strut bearing noise will be heard as you crank the steering wheel from lock to lock while the car is stationary. A CV joint will make it's characteristic clicking or snapping noises only while the car is in motion".

I think it's the half shaft cause I only hear it when I turn in motion. I have no clicking but I do have the poping.
When I got the car in november the boots were ripped and I had them replaced. I asked the trans guy to look at them to see if they were worn and he said they looked fine. Bah BS

R
Old 05-03-2001, 06:44 PM

I wouldn't go out and replace your half-shafts just yet. Some questions to ask first:

Did the popping noise show up only after you installed the FSTB? If so, that most likely has something to do with it, directly or indirectly. Take it back off (carefully inspecting all the bolts as mentioned above) and re-install the strut mounting bolts without the FSTB to the correct torque setting. Drive the car and see if the problem's gone.

My CV's are starting to go and they "click" when the wheels are turning and especially when the wheels are turning (rotating) slowly and turning the car directionally at the same time. Like when you drive around a parking lot. However, nothing "pops" or sounds like anything that would disturb me. It's just a little clicking noise. Since you said your boots were shot when you got it, your CV's may indeed be going bad, but I don't think they would ever make a popping sound like you're describing.

The stationary (sitting still) stress on the strut tower when the wheels turn back and forth is quite different from the stress that's induced when the car is moving forward at the same time. I'd take some real hard looks at your strut mounts before tearing into anything else. Good luck.

-kev
Old 05-04-2001, 05:51 AM

aghhh I'm ate again! Sounds like a CV joint or boot problem. You should get these loked at soon because if they blow out, it can damage other stuff. This happened in my old Accord, but fortunately nothing else was damaged.
Old 05-04-2001, 06:22 AM
ajaffee

Re: Which Bolts

R
Gumby - I noticed you didn't mention anything about using a torque wrench during the install - even after it was referenced in a couple of responses to your post. I can't stress enough the importance of using a torque wrench when installing the bar. If you take the bar off and leave it off, be sure to use a torque wrench when you re-install the strut-tower nuts. This is very important. Either way, with the FSTB off or on, the proper torquing of the nuts is essential. Incorrect torquing = breaking parts.

Old 05-04-2001, 08:52 AM

darn

Well I don't think It was cause I didn't torque anything down right. That would break the strut bearing and then I would hear poping from a stand still when I turn the wheel. I don't have that trouble it's only when the car is in motion. Halfshafts are 500 bucks from nissan not good So I hope I broke the strut bearing

Rob
Old 05-04-2001, 08:58 AM

Re: darn

Well I don't think It was cause I didn't torque anything down right. That would break the strut bearing and then I would hear poping from a stand still when I turn the wheel. I don't have that trouble it's only when the car is in motion. Halfshafts are 500 bucks from nissan not good So I hope I broke the strut bearing

Rob
You should hope you didn't break anything
Old 05-04-2001, 09:00 AM

well if it's CV-related here's what happened to me:

when my Accord's CV boot blew out, I was in a parking lot. IT revved way out of control and I couldn't move. SO...I turned the car off, and turned it back on. It went into gear okay, and I started to back out of the space. As soon as I turned the wheel, it did the rev thing again, and I gave up and called AAA! :} (this was back when I knew next to nothing about cars) The problem was related to steering, ovbiously.
Old 05-04-2001, 09:43 AM

darn

You should hope you didn't break anything
Ya hehe true but I hear a scarry poping noise so I hope I broke the strut bearing cause it's 25bucks vs 100-500 for a halfshaft. I have a friend that runs a big O and they do halfshafts all day. Sucks I have to drive to St. George to get it looked at. I'm leaving tonight to get it looked at and have the halfshafts overnighted to him just in case that's the problem.

Rob
Old 05-04-2001, 11:15 AM

Re: darn

Ya hehe true but I hear a scarry poping noise so I hope I broke the strut bearing cause it's 25bucks vs 100-500 for a halfshaft. I have a friend that runs a big O and they do halfshafts all day. Sucks I have to drive to St. George to get it looked at. I'm leaving tonight to get it looked at and have the halfshafts overnighted to him just in case that's the problem.

Rob
When I first installed my Strut bar, there was a clicking sound on certain turns and bumps. The brackets were tight but the bolts connecting the bar to the bracket were not.
The bar was sliding back and forth and tapping the bracket.
I tightened that really good and it has been great. I have the matrix bar or the one from streetbeat.com

Good Luck.
Old 05-04-2001, 02:40 PM

help

Any other ideas I'm taking the car to the shop in a few hours.

/BUMP

Rob