General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What is a torque wrench? Confused!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 06:43 PM

I am wondering what a torque wrench is. Someone told me that it uses air compressor to activate a wrench at very high pressure. Like the ones used in car shops. They are heavy duty.

I ahve also heard from someone saying that a torque wrench is a normal wrench. The ones that you could switch to the size of bolts and with long handle for "torquing". It is like the ones used for doing light duty maintenance job. It is hand operated.

So what is a torque wrench? Can I install FSTB with the one I stated in the second paragraph?
Old 05-03-2001, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by LoveSick
I am wondering what a torque wrench is. Someone told me that it uses air compressor to activate a wrench at very high pressure. Like the ones used in car shops. They are heavy duty.

I ahve also heard from someone saying that a torque wrench is a normal wrench. The ones that you could switch to the size of bolts and with long handle for "torquing". It is like the ones used for doing light duty maintenance job. It is hand operated.

So what is a torque wrench? Can I install FSTB with the one I stated in the second paragraph?
the torque wrench i have is just like a normal wrench. it uses the normal 1/2 inch head thing but the only difference is that it clicks once you reach a certain torque. at the handle end of the wrench, i have a **** which you turn to determine how many pounds you can. then you tighten like normal and something goes off inside and it clicks (you can feel and hear). mine is like the one in your second paragrach and you can most certainly install your FTSB with it.
Old 05-03-2001, 09:04 PM

AFAIK, there are three basic flavors of torque wrench.

1 - The "beam style" wrench is a long wrench that accepts either 3/8" and 1/2" sockets, and are probably available for some other rarer socket sizes. There are two beams that run the lenth of the wrench: the first is the actual wrench itself which flexes slightly when you're tightening or loosening a bolt, and the second is a "floater" beam that stays straight all the time. The end of the floater beam is a pointer that indicates, on a gauge affixed to the main beam, the torque being applied.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...482&p=47833801

2 - The "click style" wrench has a handle that rotates. You twist the handle to a preset torque (usually indicated by markings on the shaft), then use the wrench to loosen or tighten the bolt. When the preset torque has been achieved, the wrench audibly and tactilely clicks. "Click style" torque wrenches are generally more expensive than "beam style" wrenches, and are capable of a higher range of torque readings because they tend to be more robust.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...482&p=47833803

3 - There are several different electronic torque wrenches. Some have memory, some beep, some flash LEDs. All are expensive. I don't know of anyone on the org who has one of these.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...482&p=47834238

Sorry it's long winded, but hope it helps.
Old 05-04-2001, 06:00 AM

A torque wrench is used for making adjustments that effect acceleration. When bolting in mods for tops speed, you need a horsepower wrench.
Old 05-04-2001, 06:13 AM
ajaffee

Originally posted by brubenstein
A torque wrench is used for making adjustments that effect acceleration. When bolting in mods for tops speed, you need a horsepower wrench.
I think you can get a combo torque/horsepower wrench now