General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Transmission whine. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 09:25 AM

Transmission whine. Help.

Car: 2000 GXE 5pd

Symptom 1: The tranny whines when the car is parked and the gear in neutral. The whining stops when I press in the clutch.

Symptom 2: It whines in 1st gear.

What could be the cause of this? I don't remember when it started doing this.. I did change the tranny fluid with synthetic couple years ago. Can low/too much tranny fluid be the cause of this? I'm pretty sure I put in the proper amount.. If the tranny oil leaks, where do I need to look?

HELP!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:47 AM

Sounds like the Throw Out bearing is going out, first gear issue may be something in the gear....
Old 03-07-2005, 10:57 AM
STFU n00b!

low fluid will cause noises, yes..

sounds like input shaft bearing problems to me though..

if the tranny makes noise and the pitch depends on vehicle speed, then it's output or mainshaft bearings.

If the tranny makes noise and it's dependent on engine RPM, then it's throwout bearing or input shaft bearings.
the throwout bearing will be noted by a change in the pedal feel usually. input shaft bearings are noted by a growling type sound in 1st and sometimes 2nd gear. beyond that, the car is moving fast enough that there's too much road noise to hear it, but it's still there.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
low fluid will cause noises, yes..

sounds like input shaft bearing problems to me though..

if the tranny makes noise and the pitch depends on vehicle speed, then it's output or mainshaft bearings.

If the tranny makes noise and it's dependent on engine RPM, then it's throwout bearing or input shaft bearings.
the throwout bearing will be noted by a change in the pedal feel usually. input shaft bearings are noted by a growling type sound in 1st and sometimes 2nd gear. beyond that, the car is moving fast enough that there's too much road noise to hear it, but it's still there.
Ok so is this something really serious or urgent? (I dont know much about transmissions. My expertise stops at installing dry NOS on maximas and doing suspension jobs)

Is this something that can be done at a MARGINAL cost at the time of clutch replacements? Like replacing the water pump during timing belt replacements. The car has 90k miles, but about half should be highway miles because my brother used this car to sell insurance.

I'll post back after a more detailed observation. The car almost sat in the parking lot for 1 full year while the owner went to the army. I drove it like once a month around the block. Wonder if that had anything to do with this...
Old 03-07-2005, 11:17 AM
STFU n00b!

nah, doubt it.
check fluids and listen for sounds a bit and report back.

on a 3rd gen, input shaft bearings are easy enough.. took me 6 hrs between jacking up the car to the test drive after the rebuild.
http://www.mattblehm.com/pics/car/tranny/
Old 03-08-2005, 11:52 AM

UPDATE:

Ok after some research, I concluded that the source of the noise cannot be the throw out bearing. Bad throw out bearing makes noise when the clutch pedal is pressed. My noise disappers when the clutch is pressed and makes the noise when it's released.

I think the source of the whine has to be within the transmission. When I press in the clutch, therefore disengaging the transmission gears from spinning, the whine disappers. When I let go of the clutch, the whine returns. It could possibly be something as simple as a low transmissin fluid.. What do you think Matt93SE? Say if the tranny fluid level is not the problem, then what is? Please advise. Input shaft/output shaft/etc, I don't know where they belong. Please be detailed if you can. Thanks !

*I'd like to postpone any fixes until it's time for a clutch job.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:08 PM
STFU n00b!

Sounds like input shaft bearings to me...
see the pics I linked above for a quick look at what's involved..

you can probably wait until a clutch job is necessary, but be warned that it might do more damage elsewhere from debris floating around in the tranny.

if you start to see fluid leaking out of the bellhousing, then you know it's time to do it ASAP.. when the bearing gets bad enough to cause the shaft to move around, it will eventualyl ruin the input shaft seal and the tranny will leak fluid into the bellhousing.