General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Research Paper Finished!!! Reeeeeaaaalllllyyyyy long.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 09:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Research Paper Finished!!! Reeeeeaaaalllllyyyyy long.

As many of you may remember I decided to write a maxima research paper for my class assignment, some of you thought the idea sucked some of you liked it. Well, now i am finished and my teacher will not be using turnitin.com So here it is.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Alex Maldonado
Bizal
English 12
March 18, 2005
Nissan Maxima: Search for A True Sports Sedan
Automobiles have been a part of our every day lives since 1908 when Henry Ford first produced his Model-T. There have been many choices when it comes to cars, and one of the most popular vehicles on the road is the sports sedan. The Maxima, Nissan’s flagship sports sedan, is a great example. The first Maxima rolled out of the factory in 1981 and since then six generations of Maximas have been produced. The three best sports sedans are the third, second, and fourth generation Maximas.
To be considered a true sports sedan, A Maxima, must be exceptional in these three areas: handling, performance, and style, all three with consideration to the generation’s era. Handling deals with how well the car’s suspension manages the road on tight turns, at high speeds, and under adverse conditions. A sports sedan’s suspension should be tight and responsive. Performance, or speed capability, relies upon the weight of the vehicle compared to the engine’s horsepower. How well the car stands out, sets a trend, or blends in with the crowd determines style.
Most sports sedans have all-wheel independent suspension, a wishbone suspension, or a solid beam axle. The most favorable suspension, of the three, is all-wheel independent suspension or AWIS. AWIS allows each wheel to adjust to the terrain separately. A wishbone suspension is much like an independent suspension but slightly more limited. Each wheel acts individually but they are still linked at a central point, making for a diminished sporty ride. A solid beam axle links a large solid beam from one wheel to the other, forcing the rear wheels to adapt as one.
Performance, or the speed capability of a vehicle, is based upon the car’s average weight (lbs.) to engine horsepower (hp). The car’s average weight divided by the engine’s horsepower gives a ratio of x-amount of weight per one horsepower. Example: a car weighs 3000lbs and has 100-hp, the weight to power ratio (WPR) of lbs. per one hp is 30lbs/hp. WPR is imperative when determining the speed capability of a vehicle.
The era in which each generation was produced is also very important because of the growth and change of technology. In order to even out the playing field each generation Maxima must be compared to other four door sports cars (4DSC or sports sedan) of its time. Furthermore, because the sixth generation Maxima is still in production and changes may still be made, it was not included in the ranking.
The fourth generation of Nissan’s Maxima was produced from 1995 to 1999 and comes in third place. A recent web-poll comprised of 392 votes of 171 Maxima enthusiasts asked for votes for the best generation Maxima. 31.63% of the votes showed that the fourth generation Maxima was the best. However, a correlation was found between the number of fourth generation owners on the site and votes for the fourth generation. Moreover, cost cutting measures made this Maxima the most popular to date (maxima.org).
A less expensive solid beam axle was introduced for the fourth generation, which made this Maxima ride more like a minivan than a true 4DSC. Nevertheless, some competitors of the era also used the solid beam axle such as the 1995-2001 Chevy Lumina. Most import competitors still utilized AWIS or a wishbone suspension; the Maxima was outperformed in the handling category.
“Performance leads off the car's strong points, ranking as little short of stunning” (consumerguide.com). The fourth generation Maxima has a WPR of 15.8lbs/hp, and scored a four out of five for performance by Consumer Guide. It outperforms competitors such as the 1994-1997 Honda Accord, which has a WPR of 16.8lbs/hp. In addition Nissan introduced a brand new performance engine in 1995 for the Maxima. Ward’s Communications, Inc. ranked the fourth generation Maxima’s engine type on it’s top ten list for eleven straight years.
The style of the fourth generation Maxima was not very well received (Baritchi). It had a more aggressive front end, but a conservative rear end. This Maxima did not have an exceptional body style; it was just like all the rest, rounded and bland. The 1995 to 1999 Maximas were very admirable automobiles, and although a high performing engine contributes, a sub-par suspension and poor styling makes this Maxima just ok.
In second place comes the second generation Maxima. It was produced from 1985 to 1988 and was available as a wagon as well as a sedan. This Maxima was know to be a “premium sedan… [that rivaled] Euro-style sports sedans” (Poole 107).
The technology used in the second generation Maxima was far ahead of its time. Some of the exceptional technologies included a six-speaker stereo, keyless entry, and a theft deterrent system. More options became available such as “sonar-like sensor [suspension], which matched ride characteristics to road conditions.” The second generation Maxima came with AWIS, that the driver could manually adjust to fit personal ride preferences (Poole 107). The AWIS gave this Maxima the handling capabilities it needed to hug the road on tight turns. “… The Maxima's ride comfort is top notch, and the rear end stays in place even when you're flogging its daylights out” (Fuller 47).
A WPR of 20.1lbs/hp made this Maxima quick in comparison to other 4DSC’s of the era. “[Maximas] can run with the BMWs and Audis, clocking zero to 60 mph in only nine seconds” (Edgerton 134). Cars like the Honda Accord, with a WPR of 22.99lbs/hp, were blown away by the Maxima. “Everyone unanimously agreed that the Maxima SE's single greatest attribute is the terrific 3.0-liter V-6 engine” (MacKenzie 87). The engine was actually taken from Nissan’s 300ZX, a real sports car, and put into the Maxima. “The engine is just as wonderful here as in the ZX; it's the best part of the ZX, without doubt, and probably the best part of the Maxima, as well” (Fuller 47).
The only deterrent of the second generation Maxima was the styling. “The rest of the car, most notably the styling… kept it from getting any high marks…” (MacKenzie 87). This Maxima had an unattractive and inadequately designed interior, but it was ergonomically sufficient. Its boxy body also followed the style of the era; therefore it didn’t set itself apart from other sedans of its time.
In first place comes the third generation of Nissan’s Maxima, which was produced from 1989 to 1994. The third generation Maxima redefined style with its new aerodynamic design and “a well-organized instrument panel and comfortable driving position” (consumerguide.com). The aerodynamic design of the exterior was even incorporated to the interior.
“The dashboard of this Maxima evokes a smooth-flowing feel thanks to rounded sculpturing. Unique to the Maxima SE were analog dash gauges which automatically reverse at night from black-on-white to white-on-black. Very cool” (Cato).
With slanted support handles and a sleek dash it was truly unique. This Maxima set the trend for new cars of the late 1980’s and early 1990’s. The Maxima’s new body style was inspired by Euro-style sports sedans, and imitated by cars like the 1992 Toyota Camry. Not only was it known for its superior styling but also for its exceptional performance and handling.
From 1989 to 1991 the third generation Maxima had the same 160-hp high performance engine as the second generation, but with some minor improvements. The WPR of this Maxima was an outstanding 19.3lbs/hp, which vanquished cars like the 1992 Volkswagen Passat (23.5lbs/hp). Then from 1992 to 1994 a 190-hp engine was installed on Maxima’s with the SE trim. “With 190 horsepower on tap, the [Maxima] is a potent and sporty performer that matches up well when compared with higher-priced European models” (consumerguide.com). The 190-hp improvement boosted the Maxima’s WPR to 16.2lbs/hp, and made it even faster then its competitors. Correspondingly, Consumer Guide gave it a score of five out of five for performance.
AWIS came standard on this Maxima, which provided “the kind of poised front-drive handling and competent road manners that others have tried to emulate, coupled with a comfortable ride” (consumerguide.com). The AWIS gave the Maxima extraordinary handling, which made it a pleasure to drive. An available Sonar Suspension accommodated for the driver’s preference of sport or comfort, and automatically adjusted the suspension to suit road conditions (Poole 107).
Exceptional handling, extraordinary performance, and beautiful aerodynamic style set the third generation Maxima aside from the second, and forth generations. This Maxima beat out the competition of its era in all three categories as well. While the fourth generation may perform slightly better and the second generation may have been more advanced, they are both lacking in key areas. The third generation Maxima pulls all three qualities of a true 4DSC into one package making it the best Maxima produced.
Works Cited
"1990-94 Nissan Maxima Prices & Review." Consumer Guide. 2005: 15 Mar. 2005 <www.auto.consumerguide.com>.
Baritchi, Andi, and Steven Cutchen. Maxima History. 2001. 15 Mar. 2005 <http://home.earthlink.net/~maxfaq/history.htm#multilink>.
"Best Maixma." Online posting. 09 Feb. 2005. Maxima.org. 09 Feb. 2005 <www.maxima.org>.
Cato, Jeremy . Canadian Driver. 2005. <www.canadiandriver.com>.
Edgerton, Jerry . "Start your engines, baby vroomers!" Money Feb. 1985: 134(5).
Fuller, Don. "1985 Nissan Maxima SE." Motor Trend Dec. 1984: 47(5).
"Import car of the year 1985." Ed. Angus MacKenzie. Motor Trend Mar. 1985: 87(13).
"Nissan Maxima." Ed. Chris Poole. Consumer Guide 1992: 107-108.
"Nissan VQ Engine Makes Ward's 10 Best Engines List for 2005; Versatile Powerplant Receives Award for 11th Straight Year." The Auto Channel. 08 Dec. 2004: 16 Mar. 2005

Let me know what you guys think.
Try to find some errors, haven't turned it in yet and would love to correct them before I do on the 18th.
See my sig for the original thread.
EDIT: I know that the weight to power ratio is not used as often as the power to weight ratio, and i use the abbreviation WPR to keep the size of my paper within the limits of the assignment.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:40 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Well laid out. Very nice despite the conclusion.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:00 PM

Very nice. I actually read the whole thing. Good work. Could have flowed a little better, but nicely done overall.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:02 PM
DONE

i thought that the 190hp motor came out in 94 in the se models
Old 03-17-2005, 12:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The 190hp (VE30DE) motor is for the 1992 to 1994 SE Maximas like Avmaldo stated.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:11 AM

Its not that bad. There are a few mistakes and other nitpicks that I can pick out but overall its not that bad at all. One question, is there a length requirement? I remember research papers being in the 10+ page range at the least and did several in the 20+ page range. One of my senior projects was in the 100+ page category! And yes, I said ONE of my senior projects... that was a fun semester, lemme tell ya.

I think you'll do well if the professor just wants the high points and not an in depth analysis. Its just long enough to say what's necessary and not so long as to explore tangents.

Good luck!
Old 03-17-2005, 05:58 AM

It could only be 3-5 pages 12pt font double spaced, also it's for a highschool project not in college yet. I will attend Uof A in a couple months
Old 03-17-2005, 08:58 AM

Ah, ok. That helps my feelings a lot then. I honestly didn't want to see anyone fail after actually doing some actual research and not just reading and rewriting what someone else had written.

HS must have gotten more slack. My last research paper for HS was "as long as it needs to be" and was still over 10 pages. ugh!

Hope your teacher sees the time and effort you've put in!
Old 03-17-2005, 03:20 PM

The paper looks pretty good.

HS must have gotten more slack. My last research paper for HS was "as long as it needs to be" and was still over 10 pages. ugh!
Good gravy!! A 10 page paper in HS? The longest paper I ever had to write in HS was six pages. Hell, Im a freshman at college and the longest one I've written so far was a 3.5 page paper...
Old 03-17-2005, 04:46 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Who needs to write papers? I just plagerize. LOL
Old 03-17-2005, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Broaner
Who needs to write papers? I just plagerize. LOL

plagerize is bad Mmmm-kay...

Good paper.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:19 PM

im at work right now, but when i get home, ill make sure to read it all. good stuff!
Old 03-18-2005, 08:34 AM

Contents ok. I would spend some time:
- abstract in the beginning: prepare what reader is about to see - then fill these expectations.
- focusing what u want to highlight
- thinking some 5-8 illustrating titles accordingly
- aligning all details under them
- comb all '4DSC' -like acronyms, explain what each mean as they first time appear.
- pictures
- end comment
Old 03-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Licensed to Spell

The utterly annoying power seat belts on the 3rd gen, alone, eliminate it from the best generation.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:56 PM

"The only deterrent of the second generation Maxima was the styling. "

Oh, now it's on!

j/k good job.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:08 PM

dayum that shiet is long! but yeah overall its pretty good.

peace
Old 03-22-2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by avmaldo
It could only be 3-5 pages 12pt font double spaced, also it's for a highschool project not in college yet. I will attend Uof A in a couple months
That's cool. Since you had U AZ in your sig, I thought it was a college research paper. No offense, but I was wondering about the U and what the heck they're doing!

But since you say you're a senior in high school, I can see it's a time to enjoy before going off to college.....

You seem enthusiastic about the work you did. If you keep that attitude you should do ok in college. Good luck!

Not sure about the 3rd gen though......when I first rode in a 1995 SE in 1994, the car was hot. It was about as exciting as the new Lexus GS430, no joke. The 1995 was the first and last time Nissan would ever have a Maxima on the C&D Ten Best.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:34 PM

Thanks for all your opinions. Ill let you guys know what i score on monday.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:26 PM

Well done.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:37 PM

4DSC is not really a class of cars in general, its a marketing tactic (and fact ) used for the 1989-1994. Using it with the other gens or other cars is kind of... an oxymoron.

Also the to say the 4th gen performance is better than the 3rd gen isn't exactly true, it really depends. The 3rd gen VE had much more top end than the 4th gen, although the 4th gen was lighter which helped it out. If you go from a roll the 3rd gen will win.

good job though.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:40 AM
† ErV †

I sure would pray your teacher would have graduated with a BS in mechanics since i don't think he will read that with any significant interest.

It sounds like an article... or an essay but nowhere near a reasearch paper. Unless HS standards have went that way.

It is informative and well written but a research paper it is not.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
4DSC is not really a class of cars in general, its a marketing tactic (and fact ) used for the 1989-1994. Using it with the other gens or other cars is kind of... an oxymoron.
I used the term 4DSC because i didn't want to say sports sedan over and over again. It was just much easier that way, it also sounds cooler.

Originally Posted by MrGone
Also the to say the 4th gen performance is better than the 3rd gen isn't exactly true, it really depends. The 3rd gen VE had much more top end than the 4th gen, although the 4th gen was lighter which helped it out. If you go from a roll the 3rd gen will win.
Well i cant really explain all that in five pages, so i decided to just go by the basic numbers.

Originally Posted by EvilRoadsVictim
I sure would pray your teacher would have graduated with a BS in mechanics since i don't think he will read that with any significant interest.

It sounds like an article... or an essay but nowhere near a reasearch paper. Unless HS standards have went that way.

It is informative and well written but a research paper it is not.
Read my other thread in my sig.

PS. I couldn't really go into detail; length was limited.

Thanks for all the replies. Wish i could've had this up sooner to make some changes.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:50 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

"Best Maixma." Online posting. 09 Feb. 2005. Maxima.org. 09 Feb. 2005 <www.maxima.org>.
run spell check
Old 03-24-2005, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chris91SE
run spell check
Dang, nice find. wish i would have found that before i turned it in. I did find a couple other errors in the text, just haven't updated it yet, but no worries changed them before.

It's probly cause i used easybib for my works cited.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:43 PM
† ErV †

I used the term 4DSC because i didn't want to say sports sedan over and over again. It was just much easier that way, it also sounds cooler.

Read my other thread in my sig.

PS. I couldn't really go into detail; length was limited.
I'll be harsh so don't cry. Frankly you will thank me one day. Once out of HS one thing i was confronted with was the difference in standard between high school and post secondary education. I learned the hard way that you can't just write without thinking from all angles. Information by itself means little as far as the grading scheme is concerned.

If i have to think about what i read just to understand what you are saying, consider it a failure. As the reader i should think about the questions you raise and issues you address, not about where should i backtrack to as what i just read made no sense.

Personally the weight and power paragraph dug it in for me. I did read the whole thing, i just didn't mark it up.

You do win brownie points by using proper english though. Save as the edited version below if you want to look at what i found wrong with it. Naturally when you write you cannot notice everything and this is when a third party proves useful. Most times teachers will let slight problems slide, however if you keep drawing their attention to weakpoints they will start nitpicking and lord help you then. Been there done that.

Their tolerance gets narrower the further you progress. Having a headstart never hurts.

http://66.156.109.239/files/AlexMaldonado.doc

Old 03-24-2005, 11:00 PM

Thank you for killing my paper.

Just to clarify a couple things.

Bizal= teachers name
I don't think he knows what trucks are, but i get your point.
Once you get into the aerodynamics of a vehicle it gets way to complicated for a know nothing about cars kind of person, and again not enough pages. Plus that information is really hard to find, especially for older cars.
I did not have a bibliography just a works cited.
--Bizal did not require the full address, only a shortened version. The one with the longer version was the only address availible.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:18 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

You're a highschool graduate at age 12???!

I'll be harsh so don't cry. Frankly you will thank me one day. Once out of HS one thing i was confronted with was the difference in standard between high school and post secondary education. I learned the hard way that you can't just write without thinking from all angles. Information by itself means little as far as the grading scheme is concerned.

If i have to think about what i read just to understand what you are saying, consider it a failure. As the reader i should think about the questions you raise and issues you address, not about where should i backtrack to as what i just read made no sense.

Personally the weight and power paragraph dug it in for me. I did read the whole thing, i just didn't mark it up.

You do win brownie points by using proper english though. Save as the edited version below if you want to look at what i found wrong with it. Naturally when you write you cannot notice everything and this is when a third party proves useful. Most times teachers will let slight problems slide, however if you keep drawing their attention to weakpoints they will start nitpicking and lord help you then. Been there done that.

Their tolerance gets narrower the further you progress. Having a headstart never hurts.

http://66.156.109.239/files/AlexMaldonado.doc
Old 03-25-2005, 09:25 PM
† ErV †

Originally Posted by ptatohed
You're a highschool graduate at age 12???!

no.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:32 PM
† ErV †

Thank you for killing my paper.

Just to clarify a couple things.

Bizal= teachers name
I don't think he knows what trucks are, but i get your point.
Once you get into the aerodynamics of a vehicle it gets way to complicated for a know nothing about cars kind of person, and again not enough pages. Plus that information is really hard to find, especially for older cars.
I did not have a bibliography just a works cited.
--Bizal did not require the full address, only a shortened version. The one with the longer version was the only address availible.

Bizal, L or L. Bizal would have been way clearer... (substitute correct initial). the dynamics you could have just said power, weight and shape of the shell. Nothing technical. However since you wanted to include the formula i see why you omitted it.

Yes he did not require it.. Most don't do. Then you come across someone **** and he/she butchers your GPA in your senior year in college. Basically fails you over trivial things.. Then you realize you can't keep taking a chance as the evil people are just going to get more frequent. By then bad habits are hard to reverse.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:50 AM
Licensed to Spell

no.
Then which one is not correct? You are not 12 or you are not a highschool graduate?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:42 AM

I got a 96% (98% weighted) on my paper, and now im done trying in highschool. Thanks for all your opinions/comments.

PS.
It sounds like an article... or an essay but nowhere near a reasearch paper. Unless HS standards have went <gone that way.
lol. jk. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:43 PM
Banned

nice, i BS'd my senior thesis, grad project, and just about everything in my senior year of high school, and im turning out just fine. going to drexel on scholarship!
Old 03-29-2005, 05:44 AM

Can't say that I agree with the conclusion, just because of an "unknown" bias, but it seemed well written. Daaammmnnn, you were rough with those corrections. It puts things into perspective though, and I'm really not getting nearly enough writing assignments as I need to be prepared for college writing next year. All in all, good job, but I still love my 4th gen.