General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

question for buyers who drive car home after buying

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

question for buyers who drive car home after buying

I am about to buy a Maxima from a private buyer out of state and then drive it home (about 1000 miles). I am paying cash so there is no finance company involved.

Problem is what do I do for tags when driving home. My insurance company says I am covered automatically for 30 days after buying a new vehicle. The DOT says that I can buy a 30 day temporary tag for $25 for the vehicle but must show proof of insurance before I can get it. Not sure if I can get insurance on a vehicle that I don't own yet. Seller wants to remove tags after sale.

I am curious to know what other people on the .org have done when buying their used Maximas out of state.

THANKS!
Old 03-21-2005, 03:35 PM

Just call the DMV of the state where the car is currently registered and ask them the same question.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:13 PM

I don't think it is registered in the state where I am buying it. (Current owner recently moved)
Old 03-21-2005, 04:33 PM

Interesting question. My cousin bought a used M3 in RI, but he lives in MA. He talked the owner into letting him use his RI plates for a few weeks. The owner was very reluctant, but my cousin told him it would be a deal-breaker if he couldn't use the plates.

I think you can insure any car you want. I think you are issued cards and then have to get the inspection if you have comp/collision. So ask your insurance co. if you can get cards for the VIN # of the car you are buying. If so, then you can get the temp tags.

I would err to the side of caution so I wouldn't loan my tags out as the seller....good luck.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:44 PM
southernrednik

get tags from YOUR DMV

Old 03-21-2005, 04:46 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Check with your DMV. You should be able to get a set of transport tags to cover you. This varys from state to state though.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:51 PM

The next question is should you do anything to the car before driving it the 1,000 miles. Has it been sitting for awhile? When did it last have an oil change? What is the tire pressure? Will you check the radiator? Does the car have a maintenance history? Has the car been involved in an accident? Have you seen the car? Have you driven it? Are you sure you want to buy it? Can't you find a car any closer to home for a comparable price?

Tell us a bit about what is motivating you to buy this particular car.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:40 PM

see if the owner has some old plates that were on it and just drive home with those, if you do get pulled over, just show the cop that you just bought the car. I have been pulled over like that after just buying a truck and cop cop checked out the title and let me go.

If you are flying out to get the car, make sure you buy round trip tickets so you can walk away if the car isn't what it should be.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:15 PM

Haul it on a trailer.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
Tell us a bit about what is motivating you to buy this particular car.
Got some money... need a car..
Being a man, I want something with some power.. also a 5 speed..
Seeing as how I never got the convertible I always wanted.. started looking at Mustang GT Convertibles.
Wife reminds me I have 3 kids. Realize she is right and start looking at 4 door cars. I always have liked Maximas and my wife used to have a '98 5 speed.. very fast. Decide that in my price range I could get 2000 or 2001 Maxima at best.

Requirements for Maxima- 5 speed, sunroof, leather
desires for Maxima- Black paint, heated seats, jammin stereo, black interior

No such car available locally and ones I did find on Autotrader etc. gone before I call. Asking price for used Maximas (stock 2K or 2K1) around 12-13k.

Found maxima.org and find a car for sale with all requirements and all but one desires along with such bonuses as dvd player, 19" rims, body kit, y-pipe, shocks, struts, exhaust etc about the same price as local.

Willing to drive for a weekend to get the car I want and will hopefully keep for a long time.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:52 AM
Banned

Travel tag..>

I just sold my Maxima and the guy drove the car 1200 miles back home.

You and the seller go to a Auto tag place and get a "travel tag". That is a 30 day tag that allows you to drive the car legally, for about $40. The seller need to be there also so that the travel tag can get issued. You'll get a temp registration also. As for proof of insurance. Just bring your insurance card and that is all that is needed as far as "proof" of insurance. You did notify your insurance agent so you are all set.

Don't borrow tags...

Have a safe ride home.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:11 AM

I sold a car and the guy asked if he could keep the plates and I said abso-freaking-lutely not!
Old 03-22-2005, 11:54 AM

I called NC where I am picking the car up and they said that I would have to have insurance in NC to get a temporary tag and that since I am picking the car up on Saturday that their offices close at noon.. Oh and the closest office open is like 30 miles from where I pick the car up and I don't get there until noon anyway.. So guess I am SOL for tags unless seller will let me keep his tags and send them back to him when I get home.

F it.. I will just be careful and show them the title and my insurance if I get pulled over. That is what my insurance company told me to do because they cannot give me an insurance card for a car that I don't own yet even though they assure me I am covered for 30 days after buying another car.