General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

NOS Guys

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 03:05 PM

Alright guys I was going to purchase a suoercharger but seems as though to many people are having problems, with belts falling off all that good stuff. So I'm thinkin NOS is the way I'm gonna go. I was wondering what setups you guys are runnin. Also what are you 1/4 mile times with NOS.
Old 05-06-2001, 03:15 PM
Administrator

well.. if you have the money.. i would say go Supercharger and just fix all the probs from the begining..

i am going to use NOS.. but if i had the money i would go supercharger *duck* apart from the winter situation..

anyway back to NOS..

98Max - 97 Auto w/ CAI, Y Pipe, other mods - 14.09 1/4 on a 40 shot..

you can use that as your base.. maybe give or take .4 secs..

so you are looking at 14.0 - 14.4 with a 40 shot of NOS on an Auto with bolt ons...

Don runs 12's with 100 shot but i wouldn't really compare your car with don's car for numbers.. he already runs what 98Max runs off the bottle..

also note you can run up to a 60 shot before you need to start upgrading fuel pump, tranny, fuel pressure regulator...

NOS is cheap to start off.. but the price climbs real quickly when you start adding accessories and gauges..

I would say you got the money.. get a Supercharger
Old 05-06-2001, 03:28 PM

another plus for supercharger is its on all the time.
Old 05-06-2001, 03:33 PM
Administrator

thats also a minus if its raining or snowing

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
another plus for supercharger is its on all the time.
Old 05-06-2001, 03:34 PM

i could live with that tho..
Old 05-06-2001, 03:35 PM
Administrator

slippage.. no control.. hit a tree.. slide off the road.. you hit black ice.. your rpm's climb you are boosted...

how come??? burnout?
Old 05-06-2001, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
I had problems with only a CAI .. i mean we had brutal snow.. i can just imagine how it would be with a blower
ah i c... but i live in south cali.. no problemo for me one of the benfits of livin in dry weather...
Old 05-06-2001, 03:38 PM

I was talking to a guy at a performance shop and he talked like NOS is better if all your gonna do is run a few street races and 1/4 runs. He said sure superchargers are great but they do pose more problems since they are always running boost. According to him after 100,000miles they really start to wear on a car, where as with the ocassional use of nos it should be ok
Old 05-06-2001, 03:40 PM
Administrator

I had problems with only a CAI .. i mean we had brutal snow.. i can just imagine how it would be with a blower

just dont accelerate hard rite?? is it really that sensitive?
Old 05-06-2001, 03:42 PM
Administrator

They both are going to wear down your engine eventually... however the S/C will need some work after a few thosand miles..

yeah thats what i like about NOS.. you don't have to use it untill you are loosing..

if you race a mustang cobra and the guy cant drive worth shyte.. you might win the race without even spraying
Originally posted by infinitiblast
I was talking to a guy at a performance shop and he talked like NOS is better if all your gonna do is run a few street races and 1/4 runs. He said sure superchargers are great but they do pose more problems since they are always running boost. According to him after 100,000miles they really start to wear on a car, where as with the ocassional use of nos it should be ok
Old 05-06-2001, 03:44 PM

They both are going to wear down your engine eventually... however the S/C will need some work after a few thosand miles..

yeah thats what i like about NOS.. you don't have to use it untill you are loosing..

if you race a mustang cobra and the guy cant drive worth shyte.. you might win the race without even spraying
yea, that too.. plus its WAYYY CHEAPER.. but then again... its dangerous too.. get rear ended and the next thing ya know, KABOOMMMMM
Old 05-06-2001, 03:48 PM
Administrator

if you are racing and spraying and you get rear ended? wtf are you racing? and what retard would be behind you and rear end you during a race?

unless you drive around time spraying

yea, that too.. plus its WAYYY CHEAPER.. but then again... its dangerous too.. get rear ended and the next thing ya know, KABOOMMMMM
Old 05-06-2001, 03:50 PM

I was thinkin about getting the zex 75hp shot kit. Anyone heard anything about zex's
Old 05-06-2001, 03:50 PM

if you are racing and spraying and you get rear ended? wtf are you racing? and what retard would be behind you and rear end you during a race?

unless you drive around time spraying

dont most people keep there nos in the trunk?? it would be a hassle to take in and out..
Old 05-06-2001, 04:13 PM

I am all for NOS. NOS kit was cheap (375 shipped for me) but all the extra stuff you need will add up too. It will still be less then a S/C.

No the bottle will not blow up if you get rear ended. The bottle is made of thick material. You can throw it down the road and it will be fine. I hate to break the news but if they can withstand a dragster nailing a wall, you will be fine.

No this is NOT the same NOS as inhaled but people. This is mixed with some kind of sulferic acid.

Taking the bottle out is easy, 2 nuts and its out.

I dont know much about the ZEX or NX but i am more familiar with the NOS kit.

The gains with NOS has been very impressive for the Maximas. Very good numbers for the 1/4 mile.
Old 05-06-2001, 04:28 PM

There is no ZEX kit for the Maxima.
Old 05-06-2001, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Thats funny people here have it install on their maxima's

Originally posted by NightRider
There is no ZEX kit for the Maxima.
Old 05-06-2001, 04:34 PM

Zex does make a universal kit though. I figured that kit might work. I make go with a nitrous works kit though. Oh yeah a few more questions at what point when your racing someone do you tutrn this stuff on . I mean do you flip the switch at the very begining or so you wait until second gear. Also when the bottle is empty, where can you get it filled up at.
Old 05-06-2001, 05:03 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Zex does make a universal kit though. I figured that kit might work. I make go with a nitrous works kit though. Oh yeah a few more questions at what point when your racing someone do you tutrn this stuff on . I mean do you flip the switch at the very begining or so you wait until second gear. Also when the bottle is empty, where can you get it filled up at.
I believe many performance shops refill NOS bottles... don't know the charge though.
Old 05-06-2001, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Synki
I am all for NOS. NOS kit was cheap (375 shipped for me) but all the extra stuff you need will add up too. It will still be less then a S/C.

No the bottle will not blow up if you get rear ended. The bottle is made of thick material. You can throw it down the road and it will be fine. I hate to break the news but if they can withstand a dragster nailing a wall, you will be fine.

No this is NOT the same NOS as inhaled but people. This is mixed with some kind of sulferic acid.

Taking the bottle out is easy, 2 nuts and its out.

I dont know much about the ZEX or NX but i am more familiar with the NOS kit.

The gains with NOS has been very impressive for the Maximas. Very good numbers for the 1/4 mile.
how much did u end up payin total?? (guages, ect) and does it do engine damage?? like noticeable engine damage? my car is new, and im wondering if i get it now, how long will my engine/tranny last?
Old 05-06-2001, 05:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What do you meen your SC will need some work after a few Thousand miles? I have never once heard of anyone having to service there Blower after a few thousand miles, maybe a couple guys have had a defective blower but thats about it. I have a whopping 1500 miles on my SC and it works good, I hope I don't need to service it next week.
Old 05-06-2001, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Synki hasn't installed it yet... its still pending

gauges:

fuel pressure gauge - $75 - $150
EGT gauge - $100 - $200
A/F gauge - $35 - $75

switch:

rpm window switch - $75 - $235

bottle heater - $???

their are certain do's and don'ts about using NOS that will damage your engine.. it comes with the installation..

ask lots of questions and read lots of material and you will be all set..

how much did u end up payin total?? (guages, ect) and does it do engine damage?? like noticeable engine damage? my car is new, and im wondering if i get it now, how long will my engine/tranny last?
Old 05-06-2001, 05:31 PM
Administrator

find a local performance shop they usually do it for $35 - $40 .. i found one using yahoo yellow pages by searcing my area for automobiles, racing, parts,

http://yp.yahoo.com

Old 05-06-2001, 05:48 PM

Guys what is an rpm window switch. I keep seeing people say this but have no idea what it is.
Hey venom also makes a kit for the maxima with three programs for certain uses.
This is also a cool website
http://www.bottlefedracing.com/induction.htm

Venom is here
http://www.venom-performance.com/

The venom system looks really cool but for 1500 it may be a bit much.
Old 05-06-2001, 05:59 PM
RKS

Guys what is an rpm window switch. I keep seeing people say this but have no idea what it is.
Hey venom also makes a kit for the maxima with three programs for certain uses.
This is also a cool website
http://www.bottlefedracing.com/induction.htm

Venom is here
http://www.venom-performance.com/

The venom system looks really cool but for 1500 it may be a bit much.
msdignition.com makes a RPM Activated Window Switch - PN 8956. This allows a circuit (NOS)to activate at a certain RPM and turn off at another preset RPM. This lets the user leave the NOS active without having to worring about a missed shift blowing the engine b/c if you miss a shift and the RPMs bounce of the limiter you have all nitrous and no fuel in your engine and this = trouble.
Old 05-06-2001, 09:47 PM

Yes, my NOS is still pending.

The rpm switch has been explained.

With NOS, it can be totally "dummy" proof. And i dont want to hear this what if your not getting enough fuel and crap. The fuel problem is solved with a fuel safety switch. When the FP is low, NOS is cut off which = no damage.

Nos is activated by this: You must turn on bottle meaing turn it on with th eknob on it. Then you have a activation switch. Turn that on, the NOS is engaged. You floor it (throttle switch, or like Gone in 60 Secs, he used a puish botton switch instead). That engagse the NOS to be used. The rpm kicks in and starts the spray at 3k or whatever you set it as and the rpm switch shuts it off at a certain rpm so you dont blow motor.

Bottle heater is about $125-$175.
Bottle Blanket i am not sure. Works jsut as good though.
Old 05-06-2001, 11:03 PM

I was also considering the Zex setup. If it was plug-in play for the Maxima, as it is for most cars, it would be great. However, the voltage on the Maxima is too low. I talked to Zex directly, and they told me how Turbo Magazine tried it on a Maxima, and not only did it need a mod or two to work, did not make near the 75HP. I respected this coming from Zex, not trying to sell me something that I wasn’t really looking for.

SO for $375, with that JC Witney Kit, what else would you need for an effective and safe system and from where. Also, has anyone ordered from JC before?
Old 05-07-2001, 04:27 AM

I did not order NOS from Jc Whitney but I have ordered other stuff for my truck. They are really nice people. I ordered a vinyl floor for my truck, I cut the whole wrong to go over my stick shift and thats what I told the lady on the phone. She replaced the thing for me with no questions asked. Then I sent the check for the wrong amount like 2 dollars less and they just waived it. Nice people.
Old 05-07-2001, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Synki and myself have already recieved NOS kits from JC Whitney
Old 05-07-2001, 07:02 AM
RKS

jcwhitney.com

I also ordered from jc whitney. The kit took about 2 weeks to be delivered. I am paying about $100 to have the NOS installed along with a few gauges.
I am looking at ordering the AutoMeter Phantom Series in the 2 1/16 sizes along with an a-pillar pod from SummitRacing.com if a local speedshop's sale prices aren't any cheaper.
Old 05-07-2001, 07:08 AM

Someone asked about the bottle pressure, here it goes. The NOS kit comes with a 10lb bottle. It costs be $4lb for NOS. The bottle pressure SHOULD be at between 900psi-1000psi. Anything under 600psi is useless.

For the fuel pressure, the 4th gens i know of stay around +/- 30psi at idle. At WOT it is +/-40psi

With a 80 shot @ WOT the fup should be about +/-70-80psi. I hope this may help some of you guys.

I have received my NOS kit already from JC as Sprnt stated. I have decided to go ahead and do it myself with some tips and pointer from Mardigrasmax and sx7r (thanks guys). I would def get a EGT, FP, A/F, & NOS pressure.
Old 05-07-2001, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Real Man run NOS with no gauges
Originally posted by Synki
Someone asked about the bottle pressure, here it goes. The NOS kit comes with a 10lb bottle. It costs be $4lb for NOS. The bottle pressure SHOULD be at between 900psi-1000psi. Anything under 600psi is useless.

For the fuel pressure, the 4th gens i know of stay around +/- 30psi at idle. At WOT it is +/-40psi

With a 80 shot @ WOT the fup should be about +/-70-80psi. I hope this may help some of you guys.

I have received my NOS kit already from JC as Sprnt stated. I have decided to go ahead and do it myself with some tips and pointer from Mardigrasmax and sx7r (thanks guys). I would def get a EGT, FP, A/F, & NOS pressure.
Old 05-07-2001, 08:12 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

I'm real pleased with the JWT setup

I can provide more information, but I'm real pleased with the JWT's dry manifold, ECU controlled, 65-shot NO2 system. Only drawback is that its only available for the 89-96 (or 97 with a 95-96 ECU).

Not the cheapest at all, but probably the safest and most efficient 65 shot system available. It will predictably make 75-80 horsepower.

This system is described at www.cattman.com, and I sell it moderately discounted below Jim Wolf's prices.

Brian C. Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 05-07-2001, 12:27 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

TexMaximum, did the ZEX salesperson tell you this>>>

Several weeks ago I also spoke to a ZEX saleperson, just like you said he was very honest with info dealing with their system when installing on a Nissan vehicle. As the magazine article mentioned they were having problems getting the minimum volts from the TPS that's needed to activate the spray so this is what ZEX told me. They have realize certain make/model does not reach the needed TPS volts, some cars TPS voltage will decrease while stepping on the pedal (I think it was some German cars) The new system they are working on will adapt/re-program to the vehicle TPS voltage system. Basically install the system as before, turn on ign-eng off, press a button on the management unit (this clears the internal memory), floor the gas pedal, press another button (this sets the internal voltage memory regardless of how much volts you're getting at WOT). They also have nozzles for different HP rating, even though they only advertise 60-70hp shot. If your car able to handle more they have the nozzle for it. The one ?'s I forgot to ask was the price.
Old 05-07-2001, 02:11 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I believe our TPS voltage is around 4.1-4.2 at WOT. Most of the TPS sensor activation switch needs 4.7 min. I did bunch of research and I couldn't find anything cheap that will work. The only one that would work is the NOS Progressive Controller ~$350, but you are buying more than just the TPS sensor activation switch. I believe NOS is working on a TPS sensor activation switch but nothing as of right now. I'm using the mechanical micro switch.