General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What to do??? Repo man damages my car..

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005 | 06:21 AM
The only 4.5 gen in da 956

What to do??? Repo man damages my car..

Ok so yesterday, the repo guy comes to my house because, supposeably because I'm late on a payment. Well the guy has this rink dinky chevy, and starts setting up the car to get towed. I'm freaking out because, i know i wasnt late on my payment, and this isnt suppose to be happening... The repo guy is determined to take my car... so fine he takes it... I call my loan company, and the ask them wtf is going on.. Turns out theres been a mistake, they didnt close out a order, so the repo company was sent to get my car, when it wasnt suppose to... They apologize, and call there vendor to bring me back my car... Sure enough I get it within a hour... Now when I get it back I notice my front bumper is off some what... and I'm real detailed oriented, so I start looking at it closer, my bumper is squashed, paint cracked, all fxcked up... I ask the repo guy whats up with the bumper, his answer "oh this happens, its no problem we can fix it, it pops out" My *** it pops out, my bumper no longer sits flush against the fender, its all out of shape, my car no longer has that smiley face, my like a sad/depressed mouth.. I called my insurance, and told them what happened, and they sent me all the way back to call the vendor and tell them what happened, and have them investigate and to see what they could do.. I've called but no ones told me anything... Am I liable to pay? Or should they be paying for it all, there the ones who picked up my car. And remember, it was a mistake the vendor made, my car was not suppose to get picked up... How much am I looking at paying?? And how do I go about getting a 97 front bumper on the car, without having to get the original 95 bumper thru the insurance... Also my buddy mentioned I can sue? True or untrue.... THanks
Old 03-30-2005 | 06:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I run the collections department at my bank, let me tell you that someone in there department seriously messed up. If a car is damaged on a repo it is the responsibility of the repo agent to fix the problem, they are supposed to have insurance. If they refuse then talk to the financial institution that you have the loan with and tell them that the repo outfit has refused to pay, they should make it right.
Old 03-30-2005 | 02:02 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The last thing a financial institute wants to do is repo your car.
You must be seriously behind in payments for them to have made that order in the first place.
Old 03-30-2005 | 02:39 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

i work at a bank as well in the loan department and have to deal with repo(rarely). 1st off if this in fact did happen then some did seriously mess up. 2nd, the repo company definetly is liable for this, don't let them get out of this. If they are giving you problems i'm sure someone at the bank would be more then happy to help you out if it was there mistake. Good luck.

-steve
Old 03-30-2005 | 02:48 PM

The repo company damaging your car is one thing. They should be responsible for that.

What amazes me is that the bank screwed up that badly. Hell, they sent a guy to repo the WRONG car! That is insane! Can you sue? I don't know for sure, but I would definitely contact a lawyer and see what action you can take against the bank. If nothing else, they probably embarassed the hell out of you in front of your neighbors or something. In today's f*cked up judicial system, that could be enough to get some money. I'm thinking you could sue the bank for the damage to the car, as well, since it was their HUGE mistake that (though indirectly) resulted in the damage.
Old 03-30-2005 | 10:27 PM

Ouch, sorry to hear about that, I think the Repo is libable for that. Additionally I would file a formal complaint with the banking dept for their "error" since i think they should compensate you for your time and trouble going through that to get your car back.
Old 03-30-2005 | 11:25 PM
Banned

Park her in the garage...
Old 03-30-2005 | 11:31 PM
Offset Is Everything.

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
Ouch, sorry to hear about that, I think the Repo is libable for that. Additionally I would file a formal complaint with the banking dept for their "error" since i think they should compensate you for your time and trouble going through that to get your car back.
also to have them or the repo company pay for the damages done. thats pretty messed up in the first place.
Old 03-31-2005 | 03:07 AM

Sue for the damages and for "pain and suffering" for them making you go through all this hassle. Its a shame that even when you do everything right, someone else can come along and screw you over and you still have to go through a bunch of crap, even though its not your fault.
Old 03-31-2005 | 03:10 AM
GrandPa

WOW, I am glad that I don't live where you live. They repo a car if you are a little late with the payment. The bank and repo company should pay all damages on your car. They f**ked up not you. Later Warren

Old 03-31-2005 | 03:41 AM

The reason your story makes me angry is that when I had a Volvo, it would not start (Bosch K-Jet related). I had AAA Plus and the guy towed on the rear wheels, which is ok on a RWD car, BUT, with the Volvo it was 30 miles max and under 50 mph. I followed this guy on I-87 and there were times he was doing 70-75. Two days later the shop asked me who the **** towed this car because your tranny is burnt. I found towing instructions which stated that dollies should be used if over 50 mph and 30 miles, otherwise damage will occur.

In my case, I ended up having to pay for a remanuf. tranny, the towing co. denied that they went over 50 mph!!!!!!!!!!! I guess because the guy charged me $200 for the remanuf. tranny, I wasn't willing to do the small claims court thing.

They are a very shady lot--so in a way, you have to roll-up your sleeves with these towing cos. If your repair costs are high enough, I'd file a small claim right away, get that going, and then deal with insurance later. Just make those jack-a**** know you're not kidding about following-through. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2005 | 06:17 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

You should not be repsonsible for any repair costs to your car at all in my opinion. You should also contact your finance company and inform them that they are dealing with a vendor whom "this happens all the time" with. Good luck in getting everything worked out.
Old 03-31-2005 | 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Barc
Sue for the damages and for "pain and suffering" for them making you go through all this hassle. Its a shame that even when you do everything right, someone else can come along and screw you over and you still have to go through a bunch of crap, even though its not your fault.

there is no pain and suffering here, man. Just go to your best bodyshop and have an estimate made. Then bring a copy to your bank. They are liable to get it fixed for you. They hired a towtruck operator, it is their liability to come up with cash.
Old 03-31-2005 | 06:37 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

any damages over $250 you can take to small claims court.
Old 03-31-2005 | 06:47 AM
STFU n00b!

Call a lawyer.
one of those ambulance-chasing, bottom-feeding ones.. they'll call and ***** and moan to the tow truck company and the bank until they give your money back because they're tired of hearing the dude call them.

umm. really.. call a lawyer. for the $50-100 it will cost you for the service, they will get the problem solved quicker and easier than you trying to do it yourself.
it will take you days, if not WEEKS to get all of this settled by yourself. call a lawyer, hand them $100 to make a few phone calls, and your car will be in the shop getting fixed and you'll have a rental to drive.
well worth the $100 for them, IMO. you'll come out ahead if you factor in how much time you're going to have to spend off work hasling with these bastards.
Old 03-31-2005 | 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
umm. really.. call a lawyer. for the $50-100 it will cost you for the service, they will get the problem solved quicker and easier than you trying to do it yourself.
No offense Matt, but where do you find a lawyer for $100 these days. Every lawyer I ever talked to wants at least $300 up front and then at least another $300/hr. That was several years ago and I'm sure their rates have not come down any. And believe me, they count every single second they spend on your case. Even if they solve your problem with one 5-minute phone call, you'll get billed for the whole hour. If they get a busy signal, they'll bill you for a full hour. And how do you ever know how long they really spent on your case? I say leave the lawyers out unless you absolutely have to.
Old 04-01-2005 | 06:11 AM

Ok, the update, well after posting the other day, I went around getting quotes of the estimated damage. $1200 in body work/labor/paint/and parts.... the least amount I got quoted was $800 without the paint job... Now I spoke with the owner of the repo/tow truck... She was kinda of a smartass... she was like " my driver said, there was no damage to the car, and yes I'm sorry for the mistake of taking your car ", "so would you like me to write a check for $50, and everything be ok?" I told her, "I wish it was $50 to fix the damages, but I got quotes from my certified car shops, that work with my insurance (state farm), and the quote there giving me is not $50 worth of damages, its more like $1000 for damages they do see, and maybe more for any hidden damages... She was like you expect me to send you a check for $1000? and I was like "uh yeah", then she went on to say, that they had a guy who could fix my car,... I dont want them to use there guy, hell no, they;ll go all cheapo, so finally she said she send a field service manager to check the damage... this was on wednesday.... thursday rolled in... no field service manager called me.... today is friday.... Time for me to start making some calls.... What do I do next???? Also how do I got about getting the body shop to add a 97 bumper??? One Collision center manager told me, they can only put/replace the original parts, they cant modify anything because of liablity issues (which I understand)
Old 04-01-2005 | 06:20 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

I would focus on trying to get your car back to the condition that it was in prior to all of this. The '97 front end would be nice to change out during this, but realistically, getting everything taken care of would be my first priority.
Old 04-01-2005 | 06:25 AM

Start a claim with your insurance company and get her insurance company's info and let them subrogate this... Don't waste time with a POS like her, if she doesn't give you the insurance info tell her you will be notifying the police. I had a similiar situation with a moron who my insurance company sued and he lost...
Old 04-01-2005 | 06:27 AM
OG and counting...

Time to call the bank and let them handle this. Keep a lawyer at the ready.
Old 04-01-2005 | 06:49 AM

dont let the towing company tell you how to fix your car. Just give them the copes of estimates from several local bodyshops, and demand that a check to be made out in your name for amt. that is average of those 3 estimates. See, if they won't give you $, then either you, or you bank, or your insurance company on your behalf will take the $$ from the towing co's own insurance policy, and their premium will go through the roof, and that will hurt their bus. more than if they will settle with you without filing a claim. Just explain this to that nice lady who works for a towing co. that you're giving them 24 hrs to give you the money or their insurance premium will go up tenfold.

Dude, for 1 grand, you can put a friggin bodykit on your car, not only a stock 97 bumper. You do with your money whatever you please. You can buy a used bumper painted in the same color and have it installed @ bodyshop, with total $ of like 300, and the rest in your pocket.
Old 04-01-2005 | 07:55 AM

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and call right now in a bit, I was kinda of looking forward to pocketing some money, cause I do know some local people who do awesome work for a good price... But lets see what they say, I might have to redo the who front end, for my headlights are no longer sitting flush against the fender, and my sidemarks are cracked and one fell off... So if I do get the moeny, its gonna be a total makeover on the car... I'll keep you guys posted...
Old 04-01-2005 | 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMaxman2
... I called my insurance, and told them what happened, and they sent me all the way back to call the vendor and tell them what happened, and have them investigate and to see what they could do.. I've called but no ones told me anything... Am I liable to pay? Or should they be paying for it all, there the ones who picked up my car. And remember, it was a mistake the vendor made, my car was not suppose to get picked up... How much am I looking at paying?? And how do I go about getting a 97 front bumper on the car, without having to get the original 95 bumper thru the insurance... Also my buddy mentioned I can sue? True or untrue.... THanks
Why would your insurance company have you do the leg work? Who is the "vendor"? The tow company, the bank, Nissan?
Old 04-01-2005 | 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
Why would your insurance company have you do the leg work? Who is the "vendor"? The tow company, the bank, Nissan?

The vendor is the "towing/repo guy"
Old 04-01-2005 | 08:44 AM

Normally, you get your insurance company to fix the damage (in this case State Farm is an excellent ins. co.) and then State Farm goes after the repo guy or the bank...where ever they can get the money.
Old 04-01-2005 | 08:59 AM
"tse-tse fly"

take pics of the damage get the bank inolved because they were the root of the problem get all the repo companies info (owner manager insurance company) and like said keep a lawyer on hand if the repo place doesnt comply threaten to sue
Old 04-01-2005 | 10:12 AM

Ok so yesterday, the repo guy comes to my house because, supposeably because I'm late on a payment. Well the guy has this rink dinky chevy, and starts setting up the car to get towed. I'm freaking out because, i know i wasnt late on my payment, and this isnt suppose to be happening... The repo guy is determined to take my car... so fine he takes it... I call my loan company, and the ask them wtf is going on.. Turns out theres been a mistake, they didnt close out a order, so the repo company was sent to get my car, when it wasnt suppose to... They apologize, and call there vendor to bring me back my car... Sure enough I get it within a hour... Now when I get it back I notice my front bumper is off some what... and I'm real detailed oriented, so I start looking at it closer, my bumper is squashed, paint cracked, all fxcked up... I ask the repo guy whats up with the bumper, his answer "oh this happens, its no problem we can fix it, it pops out" My *** it pops out, my bumper no longer sits flush against the fender, its all out of shape, my car no longer has that smiley face, my like a sad/depressed mouth.. I called my insurance, and told them what happened, and they sent me all the way back to call the vendor and tell them what happened, and have them investigate and to see what they could do.. I've called but no ones told me anything... Am I liable to pay? Or should they be paying for it all, there the ones who picked up my car. And remember, it was a mistake the vendor made, my car was not suppose to get picked up... How much am I looking at paying?? And how do I go about getting a 97 front bumper on the car, without having to get the original 95 bumper thru the insurance... Also my buddy mentioned I can sue? True or untrue.... THanks
I saw an episode of Repo Man on the Discovery Channel where a guy from Texas shot at the repo man that was towing his truck. The cops showed up and told the tow truck driver the best thing to do was to give the man his truck back.
Old 04-01-2005 | 10:56 AM

Obviously you should not pay a nickel and yes of course you can sue. If you can prove that the repo man agreed that he did it you will get your money back easily enough.
Old 04-01-2005 | 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Zero Deuce SE
I saw an episode of Repo Man on the Discovery Channel where a guy from Texas shot at the repo man that was towing his truck. The cops showed up and told the tow truck driver the best thing to do was to give the man his truck back.
Yeah, I saw that one too. Insane. When my uncle called the cops after his place got broken into, they just told him to get a gun.
Old 04-01-2005 | 12:01 PM

Don't forget to sue for defamation too, they made you look bad in front of your neghbors. You could potentiall get a nice settlement out of this whole situation.
Old 04-01-2005 | 12:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm real detailed oriented
That is apparent from your grammar.

j/k
Old 04-03-2005 | 01:33 PM

Ok, update well the service manager never showed up on thursday, when I called on Friday (the day I was posting my follow ups) I spoke with the owner again and told her how I waited all Thursday morning for the field service manager to go by, and that he never showed up, she told me she'd call me right back... Sure enough she does, and then tells me the service manager went by Friday morning, and the car was no where to be found (uh, no ****, cause I was at school maybe) I told her I was available on Thursday, and thats why I was waiting thursday morning... So then she's like well we'll have to schedule something for monday or tuesday... I'm already pissed cause this is gonna take a lot longer than I thought... I'm gonna setup it for monday, and she better show up... I dont want to claim it on the insurance cause I might have to pay a $500 deductible upfront, and I'll get back later if it turns out that i'm not at fault, I dont even want to front $500 out of my pocket...I didnt do sh*t. But I'll see....
Old 04-03-2005 | 01:36 PM

hahaha.... I'm not good at spelling especially when I'm upset/or in a rush...
good one thou....
Old 04-03-2005 | 01:58 PM

Get a lawyer, the bull****ting will stop right away.

I've seen this before. The guy called a lawyer, not only was the car fixed after that but the repo man was in jail and a bank sent him out a check for his troubles.
Old 04-06-2005 | 06:15 AM

This is bull****... I've have been trying to get ahold of the owner of the towing company all week, she hasnt been available... no returned calls. Yesterday day I spoke with a guy, and he wants me to have pictures of my car before it was "damaged" as he put it... And that from there they can work from it... Bull ****... why in the world would I need pics of my car before... Does it look like I have time all week to snaps pics of my car for fun? I'm gonna go straight the people above them... this is bull...(I understand why the need pics, but come on...how the *** was I suppose to know my car was gonna get damaged?)
Old 04-06-2005 | 06:20 AM

ok then don't talk to the towing company anymore of they are such an ***. Go talk to your bank and demand to get paid for the damage. If that won't work then call your insurance co. Act fast because the time works against you-it will be harder to prove your claim.
Old 04-06-2005 | 11:05 AM
GrandPa

Its time to get a lawyer. Have one of your parents go down there with you. Warren
Old 04-11-2005 | 08:19 AM

Cars down for a week and a half, getting fixed, the insurance is redoing the whole front end, darn, a whole week with no car. Oh welll.
Old 04-11-2005 | 08:58 AM
GrandPa

Well at least the car is getting fixed. Can't you use your horse down there in TX.? Just busting your *****.
Old 06-29-2024 | 07:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Repo man trying to file a false claim

In January 2024 my husband's truck was repossessed. My husband was diagnosed with cancer, had to stop work to receive treatment and he couldn't afford the payments anymore. Once the truck was picked up we received notification from the bank with the breakdown in January 2024. Just the other day the company that repossessed the truck, somehow tried to file a false claim with my insurance and tried to say the truck was involved in an accident in 9/2023. This is untrue because the truck was involved in one accident, was reported to the insurance and was repaired and sitting in our driveway in immaculate condition. The truck also was just sitting because my husband was in the hospital being inducted to chemo in September. Something is not adding up. So, it sounds like the repo man damaged the truck and is trying to cover it up, or trying to file a false claim. I contacted my insurance company stating that this was not true, provided documentation of when the truck was picked up and pictures. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Alicia