General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need help with understanding LED taillight project

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need help with understanding LED taillight project

I’m finally ready to do a led taillight mod but I need a few things answered first because I don’t completely understand the wiring.

First off what are you using to mount the LED’s and resistors on? I bought the LED’s off ebay that came with resistors. Does each LED need a resistor? If not, how many can be wired up to one resistor? And what do you suggest as to how many LED’s to wire up to a resistor? Is it better to use the series or parallel wiring system? Finally, I might buy some more resistors, in doing that how do I tell how much it will affect the lighting output? I want the LED’s to be bright when I press the brake so the less resistance the better. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Also if anyone has a write up or some guidelines that would be great
Old 04-04-2005, 07:53 PM

Let's say you would be doing a parallel circuit (easier for the set-up), you will have to use a resistor for each LED. You could then wire them in a parallel circuit. I wouldn't reccommend too many LED's in one circuit, you can divide them up into 2 or 3 seperate parallel circuits. Lighting output is affected on higher resistances, so the one that allows a maximum of 12v is obviously the only choice.

You can always browse the link below for more info:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...0b6628a67ac12f
Old 04-04-2005, 10:25 PM

Well here's the thing I bought some 5mm red LED's from the hong kong guys off of ebay that came with resistors. So I have part of it done. However I want my LED's to work like all the newer cars that come stock with LED taillights i.e. G35, BMW 6 series etc. When they hit the brake their LED's just get brighter.

So I need to know what resistor I should use to allow for that. The biggest problem is that I bought the LED's a while ago so I don't know anything about them with regards to voltage drop etc. Can anyone recommend a resistor that I might try, specifying the watts/ohms? And don't worry if my LED's blow I wouldn't hold any of you accountable.

It seems that I'm going to just have to buy some resistors and hope they work. But even if they do work initially I don't know how long they will last or anything. This kind of sucks. I had a real good idea for design I wanted to do. Well hopefully I'll figure out something, if no one knows anything here.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:14 AM

Well I found an ohm calculator on the internet. Can someone verify if this would work. Let’s suggest that the resistors that came with my LED’s were for a 12V source at 20mA and through what I’ve found should only have a 1.7 voltage drop. The resistor should be ¼ watt- 560ohm. However, if I want the LED’s to get brighter with the brake lights would I need more amperage running through the lines to give me less resistance, such as 30mA of current with a ½ watt-360 ohm resistor? Or would I still use a ¼ watt resistor with perhaps like 510ohms instead of 560 suggesting that the LED would need a higher voltage drop to increase it’s light output?
Old 05-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Custom Molding King!

Buy a set of complete led taillights off of me for $220, let me know!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Killer95max
Buy a set of complete led taillights off of me for $220, let me know!

Thanks but I already finished mine.