General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Might have something on my electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Disco Biscuit

Might have something on my electrical problem

When I went to roll my windows up at lunch, they didnt work again. So, I disconnected the harness fromt he back of the switches, plugged them back in, and turned the car back on and rolled them up. But when i got out and started to close the door, I got a pretty healthy shock, much like a bad static shock in the winter. But this time of the year, theres no reason at all that I should get buzzed, since its so warm today. So tonight I'm going to pull off my door panel and start hunting for a short, or bad groud and see if thats whats causing my problems.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:51 AM
^ Jeff™

Sounds like fun...iirc the wires run through the door next to the handle inside. Maybe the wires rubbed against the metal there...?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Disco Biscuit

Not sure. LIke I said, it's just an idea. The wiring done when the alarm was installed was kinda crappy from what i can see, and it's odd that the switch body gets pretty hot to the touch when it stops working. Hopefully its something simple like that and not something more serious. I'll find out tonight!
Old 04-11-2005, 12:44 PM
^ Jeff™

I would doubt it was something more serious. You aren't blowing any fuses are you?
Old 04-12-2005, 07:06 AM
Disco Biscuit

No, no fuses have blown. I checked out everything in the door panel and everything looked good, and I'm still having the problem. I still question it being a problem with the Alternator, only because when its running and I disconnect the battery, the car stays running. This morning when I started it and checked the voltage, it was at 13.9. I have my amps disconnected to power under the hood, so theres no power to them, but oddly, I still get engine whine coming through the front speakers, which are connected to the amps. And its very pronounced, even with the radio off, and the face removed. I got a feeling its gonna be a loooooong weekend. I tried charging the battery for a bit yesterday with the other maxima connected to it with jumper cables, and even after 10 minutes, once disconnected, the voltage of the battery was still only around 10 volts. I'm stumped.....
Old 04-12-2005, 07:30 AM
^ Jeff™

Maybe I missed another post about this...is the problem 'just' your windows or is there an existing electrical problem that isn't confined to just your windows?

Do you have a permanent drain on the battery? Have you had the battery tested?
Old 04-12-2005, 07:49 AM
Disco Biscuit

I had the battery replaced a couple weeks ago. THis is a new battery, but was dead off the shelf, and I cant seem to get the voltage above 10.5 volts. When running, the voltage is between 13 and 13.9 volts. I get engine whine, the windows stop rolling up, and the airbag light will come on and flicker a bit before going off. The longer the car runs, the worse it all gets.Either the alternator isnt putting out enough, or theres a constant drain on the power somewhere....
Old 04-12-2005, 08:15 AM
^ Jeff™

Sounds like a major issue...Something is draining. If at all possible go to your local auto parts store and have them test both the battery and alternator. This is something free they can do for you so you might as well kill those theories first.

Otherwise find the drain...this thread might help.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=power+drain
particularly this post...
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...8&postcount=11

?