General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

New info DIRECTLY from Nissan....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 02:48 PM
RussMaxManiac

About all I know about the maxima is that the next one will have 280 hp and
12.5 inch brakes. Performance is supposed to fall in-between the Z car and
the Altima.

This is a copy of his email he sent me with vague but exact info for our new 2002 Maxima.

I do know otherwise it will have 6spd, 18" wheels, LSD, and stiffer suspension.

Old 05-09-2001, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Russ2kSE
the Altima.

This is a copy of his email he sent me with vague but exact info for our new 2002 Maxima.

Are you talking about the 2002 Max having 280hp? If you are, then it's got to be a joke right? C'mon, common sense will tell you that there is no where in h*ll that the same year Infiniti will have less hp. and I emphasize NO WAY IN H*LL!!!
Old 05-09-2001, 03:03 PM

i hear that the 2002 will still have the 17" rims it has currently.
Old 05-09-2001, 03:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think that's the 2003 that you're talking about. That's way too much retooling for for a MY02 model. However, I think you're pretty much on the money for the MY03 version from what I've heard.

the Altima.

Old 05-09-2001, 04:21 PM

i30 / max

What will the significant differences be between the 2003 Max and the 2003 i35?

I'm thinking it might be a good time for me to upgrade. There's been all kinds of speculation that the 2003 i35 will be AWD or RWD, and nearly a totally different car from the 2003 Max. Anyone fill in the blanks here????

thanks
Old 05-09-2001, 04:26 PM
Qin

Performance is supposed to fall in-between the Z car and the Altima.
So we can now expect the '03 Z will have more then 280 hp? Or will the Z share the same 280hp motor, though still considered outperforming the Maxima because of its gearing, weight advantage, and RWD?

Old 05-09-2001, 04:36 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Who is he?
Old 05-09-2001, 04:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have to stop tooling around with my car and get one of those bad boys! 280Hp+SC=400 with a little tuning! Damn! And we can't forget about the 6spd!
Old 05-09-2001, 05:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

People, look forward to the 2003 making the big change.

Here is a picture from a Nissan ad of a 2002 Nissan Maxima GXE.
Old 05-09-2001, 05:23 PM

Re: People, look forward to the 2003 making the big change.

Originally posted by deezo
Here is a picture from a Nissan ad of a 2002 Nissan Maxima GXE.
In your pic it says something about a price quote? Anyone get a price quote yet? How much? I would have to say probably low to mid 30's?????
Old 05-09-2001, 05:39 PM

Last numbers for the Z that i heard that are "from reliable inside sources" was 305 hp.
Old 05-09-2001, 05:40 PM

Re: Re: People, look forward to the 2003 making the big change.

Originally posted by Matticus

In your pic it says something about a price quote? Anyone get a price quote yet? How much? I would have to say probably low to mid 30's?????

Mid 30's ?? for a 2002 Max GXE? I'll be surprised.
Old 05-09-2001, 06:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: People, look forward to the 2003 making the big change.

Originally posted by MaineI30

Mid 30's ?? for a 2002 Max GXE? I'll be surprised.
Well if the numbers are correctr, HP, TQ, 6sp, you are going to have to pay for that stuff. They said that the Altima will be around the same price as the 2001 Maxima, or so I have heard, no price quotes. Basically it comes down to the fact that you pay for your HP. And a nearly 40-60Hp, depending on your sources, will most likely come at a hefty sticker. All speculation though.
Old 05-09-2001, 07:17 PM
RussMaxManiac

Well, this info was from a Nissan REP that knows all about the new Sentra and helps design it. He knows about other cars as well. But, my real good contact that has never been wrong about any of the cars his info is:

Maxima SE 3.5L 260hp, 6spd (same tranny in the SE-R), 18" wheels (yes it will have 18s), VLSD, Slight cosmetic changes, Stiffer suspension, better brakes. Nothing else will change for 2002. He actually test drives all of Nissan's cars before any of the Press do

Originally posted by Maximus97SE

Are you talking about the 2002 Max having 280hp? If you are, then it's got to be a joke right? C'mon, common sense will tell you that there is no where in h*ll that the same year Infiniti will have less hp. and I emphasize NO WAY IN H*LL!!!

Old 05-09-2001, 07:44 PM

Well, this info was from a Nissan REP that knows all about the new Sentra and helps design it. He knows about other cars as well. But, my real good contact that has never been wrong about any of the cars his info is:

Maxima SE 3.5L 260hp, 6spd (same tranny in the SE-R), 18" wheels (yes it will have 18s), VLSD, Slight cosmetic changes, Stiffer suspension, better brakes. Nothing else will change for 2002. He actually test drives all of Nissan's cars before any of the Press do

Ya, this makes the most sense.
Old 05-10-2001, 09:50 AM

You sure about the same tranny from the SE-R????

It cant be the same tranny? Can it? The SE-R makes 180hp in stock trim the Max will be making a hundred more in stock trim, will the 6 speed be able to handle 280hp that is supposedly coming. Lets make something clear here, if Nissan does all the things that everyone here says it will, then these will easily be the fastest cars in their respective segments. And if thats the case prices are going up ladies and gentlemen. I dont wanna rain on parades but this kind of leap in engineering and product lines is a bit hard to believe. Unless the Max is gonna become a re-badge Q45 without the extra gadgetry (becoming somewhat affordable after the techno-diet).
Now before all the flames come out, let me make something clear. I'd LOVE Nissan to do all of the good things posted in this thread. I'm on my 2ndMax (hehehe) 3rd. gen SE, and now a 4th gen SE and I absolutely love Nissan. But I still find this a bit hard to swallow.

I pray you guys are right, and if so watch out Honda, Toyota, and the German trio of BMW, Mercedes, and VW. Because loyalists to the above will soon become very familiar with the tail lamp treatment of all 2003+ Nissans.

Can you say "Driven!"
Old 05-10-2001, 10:46 AM

Spoke to a sales manager 2 days ago...this is my post in the other thread.

"I was at my local Nissan dealership yesterday buying mudguards and I spoke to the sales manager to see what she knew about the 02 Max, she said they would have their 1st shipment mid August. She said there were issues w/the power handling of the 6-spd manual and that the 3.5 max will still come with a 5-spd . She also said cosmetic changes will be minimal and barely noticeable but she could not go into detail. She also said the car would still come w/17s not the 18 inchers that some have been talking about. Other than that not too many changes. She did tell me that the 6th gen is definitely coming out next year (we knew that) and not to expect a bonneville or taurus sized car, she said the reps at nissan really want the max to be a true sports sedan and a V-8 should be optional w/a manual tranny. Just thought i'd share. I've bought 2 maximas from this dealership and she always handles my deals personally so I don't think she was jerking my chain. I know she knows more since she just left a national sales conference of some kind, i'll try to pick her brain some more next time I am there."

"also there could be the I30 navigation system as an option."

I feel she was being honest w/me because:
1) she knows I can buy.
2) she knows I am a maxima enthusiast.
3) I am a repeat customer.
4) This scenario makes more sense because of the definite launch of a 2003 6th gen next year why dump a ton of R&D into a 1 model year car.
Old 05-10-2001, 02:45 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: You sure about the same tranny from the SE-R????

It is the same tranny. They have it really beefed up for the big engine but its compatible to be used in the smaller cars as well. Just like the TRANSAM tranny is used in the GTP. Auto wise.

Originally posted by 2ndMAX

It cant be the same tranny? Can it? The SE-R makes 180hp in stock trim the Max will be making a hundred more in stock trim, will the 6 speed be able to handle 280hp that is supposedly coming. Lets make something clear here, if Nissan does all the things that everyone here says it will, then these will easily be the fastest cars in their respective segments. And if thats the case prices are going up ladies and gentlemen. I dont wanna rain on parades but this kind of leap in engineering and product lines is a bit hard to believe. Unless the Max is gonna become a re-badge Q45 without the extra gadgetry (becoming somewhat affordable after the techno-diet).
Now before all the flames come out, let me make something clear. I'd LOVE Nissan to do all of the good things posted in this thread. I'm on my 2ndMax (hehehe) 3rd. gen SE, and now a 4th gen SE and I absolutely love Nissan. But I still find this a bit hard to swallow.

I pray you guys are right, and if so watch out Honda, Toyota, and the German trio of BMW, Mercedes, and VW. Because loyalists to the above will soon become very familiar with the tail lamp treatment of all 2003+ Nissans.

Can you say "Driven!"

Old 05-10-2001, 02:46 PM
RussMaxManiac

I saw that post, and hate to say it, but her info isn't correct. Most of the time dealers do not know whats in the cars till they get them.

Originally posted by straight six
Spoke to a sales manager 2 days ago...this is my post in the other thread.

"I was at my local Nissan dealership yesterday buying mudguards and I spoke to the sales manager to see what she knew about the 02 Max, she said they would have their 1st shipment mid August. She said there were issues w/the power handling of the 6-spd manual and that the 3.5 max will still come with a 5-spd . She also said cosmetic changes will be minimal and barely noticeable but she could not go into detail. She also said the car would still come w/17s not the 18 inchers that some have been talking about. Other than that not too many changes. She did tell me that the 6th gen is definitely coming out next year (we knew that) and not to expect a bonneville or taurus sized car, she said the reps at nissan really want the max to be a true sports sedan and a V-8 should be optional w/a manual tranny. Just thought i'd share. I've bought 2 maximas from this dealership and she always handles my deals personally so I don't think she was jerking my chain. I know she knows more since she just left a national sales conference of some kind, i'll try to pick her brain some more next time I am there."

"also there could be the I30 navigation system as an option."

I feel she was being honest w/me because:
1) she knows I can buy.
2) she knows I am a maxima enthusiast.
3) I am a repeat customer.
4) This scenario makes more sense because of the definite launch of a 2003 6th gen next year why dump a ton of R&D into a 1 model year car.

Old 05-10-2001, 03:42 PM

I saw that post, and hate to say it, but her info isn't correct. Most of the time dealers do not know whats in the cars till they get them.

Yeh that's what I was going to say.. she may be being "honest" in her eyes but has bad information.
Old 05-10-2001, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Jambo
I think that's the 2003 that you're talking about. That's way too much retooling for for a MY02 model. However, I think you're pretty much on the money for the MY03 version from what I've heard.

To clarify, The 2002 Maxima will have a version of the current 3.5L engine in use by the Pathfinder. It wil have 260HP (no more no less), some body molding upgrades, and the tail lights WILL BE CLEAR on ALL models (no more of this black trim on the SE, or red on GLE and GXE).

Period.
Old 05-10-2001, 09:44 PM

Re: Re: You sure about the same tranny from the SE-R????

It is the same tranny. They have it really beefed up for the big engine but its compatible to be used in the smaller cars as well. Just like the TRANSAM tranny is used in the GTP. Auto wise.

They use the same tranny on a FWD GTP and a RWD Firebird? Where the hell do they fit the transaxle? Also don't lots of people with GTP's have problems with their transmissions even with small increases in hp while the Transam tranny is perfectly capable of high horsepower setups? That would seem kind of counterintuitive to weaken a perfectly strong tranny that much for FWD use.

You guys should just relax and wait to see more definite news reports on the Maxima. Nissan's very aggressive these days so I'm sure they'll produce a car that will impress you in terms of performance at least. But you can't forget it is a V6 family sedan competing against the likes of Accords and Camrys.
Old 05-10-2001, 10:06 PM

all i can say is goodbye 4th gen and hello some major hp
Old 05-11-2001, 05:28 AM
RussMaxManiac

That's news to me. Where did you get that info from about the tail lights....I heard 2002 cosmetically is hardly even changing due to the big change in 2003.

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness

To clarify, The 2002 Maxima will have a version of the current 3.5L engine in use by the Pathfinder. It wil have 260HP (no more no less), some body molding upgrades, and the tail lights WILL BE CLEAR on ALL models (no more of this black trim on the SE, or red on GLE and GXE).

Period.

Old 05-11-2001, 05:29 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: Re: You sure about the same tranny from the SE-R????

That is what I was told. The tranny on the GTP is fine, same goes for the TA, until you start racing them, then they start breaking.

Originally posted by Mishap

They use the same tranny on a FWD GTP and a RWD Firebird? Where the hell do they fit the transaxle? Also don't lots of people with GTP's have problems with their transmissions even with small increases in hp while the Transam tranny is perfectly capable of high horsepower setups? That would seem kind of counterintuitive to weaken a perfectly strong tranny that much for FWD use.

You guys should just relax and wait to see more definite news reports on the Maxima. Nissan's very aggressive these days so I'm sure they'll produce a car that will impress you in terms of performance at least. But you can't forget it is a V6 family sedan competing against the likes of Accords and Camrys.

Old 05-12-2001, 03:19 AM

Is there going to be an Auto SE for the 2K2 or will it be strictly the manual 6-speed?
Old 05-13-2001, 12:42 AM

Make up your mind... First you said the Max will have 280hp and now your saying it will have 260hp... Well which one is it???
Old 05-13-2001, 05:00 AM

This is crazy. I heard this, and someone told me that, and this "rep" that designs, bla bla bla.

What about some names? Everyone has all these unnamed "sources" who are they? Give me a freaking brake, everyone will find out soon enough anyhow.

Furthermore, the Tranny in the GTP is NOTHING like the one in the Firebird TransAM/Camaro Z28, which is similar/evolved version of the late and great 700R4 tranny used in these cars and the corvete into the early 90's. I happen to work on these cars on my spare time and have two. Who ever told you this, is an idiot, and I wouldn't consider them a valid source for anything. He obviously knows nothing about transmitions, and I doubt the Maxima will have the same Tranny.

And the one in the GTP is much weaker, and the tranny in the TranAM will not brake just because you race it, and do handle great HP I've seen plenty make it to 150K under hard use.

Doesn't even make sense, you should of shut that person up right away. A FWD transverse mounted engine CANNOT use the same tranny as a straight mounted engine, RWD car. Ugh.

Sorry, just venting about these hear-says posts on the 02 and 03 max that keeps coming up
Old 05-13-2001, 09:25 AM
Finally, A New Status Title...How About Donating Maxima.org Member...Oh wait...NO!!!

should be interesting. i believe it was in a sport compact magazine that mentioned teh 280 hp max in 2003 or 4 either way, the 5th gen is going soon. man us 4th genners have to upgrade
Old 05-13-2001, 10:02 AM
RussMaxManiac

You obviously don't read.... I said my good contact said 260 which I believe, my not so good one said 280.

Originally posted by SkyMax

Make up your mind... First you said the Max will have 280hp and now your saying it will have 260hp... Well which one is it???

Old 05-13-2001, 10:03 AM
RussMaxManiac

Sorry but the Maxima will have the same tranny. It is designed to work on all the cars. My contacts want there names not published because there NOT supose to give out information. Get the idea. And yes you can use the same tranny, just difference casing.

Originally posted by TexMaximum
This is crazy. I heard this, and someone told me that, and this "rep" that designs, bla bla bla.

What about some names? Everyone has all these unnamed "sources" who are they? Give me a freaking brake, everyone will find out soon enough anyhow.

Furthermore, the Tranny in the GTP is NOTHING like the one in the Firebird TransAM/Camaro Z28, which is similar/evolved version of the late and great 700R4 tranny used in these cars and the corvete into the early 90's. I happen to work on these cars on my spare time and have two. Who ever told you this, is an idiot, and I wouldn't consider them a valid source for anything. He obviously knows nothing about transmitions, and I doubt the Maxima will have the same Tranny.

And the one in the GTP is much weaker, and the tranny in the TranAM will not brake just because you race it, and do handle great HP I've seen plenty make it to 150K under hard use.

Doesn't even make sense, you should of shut that person up right away. A FWD transverse mounted engine CANNOT use the same tranny as a straight mounted engine, RWD car. Ugh.

Sorry, just venting about these hear-says posts on the 02 and 03 max that keeps coming up

Old 05-13-2001, 02:47 PM

Altima/Maxima/Z/Infiniti Sports Sedan

- I don't have any contacts - just common sense. Nissan is going beserk under the leadership of Carlos Ghosn. This guy is starting to kick off a major Japanese horsepower war, just like the American Muscle Car craze back in the day.
- The competition is getting pretty fierce. There are V-6 model Camry's and Accords that make about 200hp. Lexus has the new IS300 (215hp), Acura has the 3.2CL and 3.2TL Type S models, each with 260hp. Nissan is the other company in the Japanese "Big Three," so one can only imagine that he's going to be aggressive.
- Nissan's line-up two-three years ago sucked. America had the same respectable, but bland models and the European line-up was getting trounced on for a lack of technology and a lack of panache. In short, Nissan was boring and far behind the technological leaders. Carlos Ghosn is rebuilding the company from the ground up and realizes that emotion is a driving force in sales, hence the new Z and the large hp numbers.
- Also, keep in mind that most Nissan-published materials have centered around the new 3.5L (VQ based, but with more technology) six-cylinder engine and the upcoming Z-car's racy suspension. There has also been serious talk in many auto-magazines of an upcoming compact Infiniti sports sedan to compete on the same grounds as the Lexus IS300.

- Here's what I think is going to happen:

Altima - The new Altima is finally taking its place amongst the Accord and Camry as a true mid-size sedan with a choice of 4 and 6 cylinder engines (this is while the Sentra battles it out with the compacts, like the Civic). The engines are the 2.5L SE-R motor and the ubiquitous 3.5L six (detuned for the lower prices ofthe Altima). Suspension is based upon the Z car. Although there is a strong chance that the car will be FWD, please note that the ads at NissanDriven.com don't reveal which wheels are being driven. Also, on the "performance" link at the site, the Traction Control blurb is pointing to the rear wheels. Since the suspension is from the Z car, there is a chance that the car could be RWD to save costs between the 4 new models (Altima, Maxima, Z Car, and Infiniti Sports Sedan).

Maxima - Who the hell knows!? The 5th gen will only be out for 3 model years, so you kinda wonder why they're bothering. Perhaps Carlos Ghosn really is that aggressive. (Although, the 5th gen was just a spruced up 4th gen anyway - it didn't cost that much to turn it into a 5th generation car.) The new Maxima will almost definitely be bigger - probably along the lines of a Lexus GS300/400. Power will come from the (surpise!) 3.5L engine and will probably sing to the tune of 270-280hp (260 seems too close to the Altima's 240). We'll still have the choice of a stick (thank God!), but it should be upgraded to a six-speed to garner enthusiast attention and to get better highway fuel-mileage. I imagine that we'll get a 5-speed automatic too. RWD, FWD, who knows? RWD certainly fits in with the larger size aspect and with the economical platform-sharing plan that Ghosn admires so much, but historically, the car has always been FWD (which is, of course, cheaper to produce). Still, I think that we'll get a RWD car.

Z-Car - Well, the highest speculated number so far is 305hp. 280 is reasonable to expect, 300 was the reported target number, and 305 is just frickin' sweet. I'm sure that everyone knows that the car is RWD and will have a very sophisicated fully independent suspension at all four corners. Power will be through the naturally aspirated 3.5L six cylinder and will combine good old VQ power with high-efficiency technology like, Variable Valve Timing (on the Intake and Exhaust) and a new "CVTC" technology that has something to do with the combustion process itself. Interior wise, Nissan promises an optional nav-system. Weight seems to be the only problem - especially since the show car weighed 3200 pounds. A car in this segment should tip the scales at 2700-2800 pounds.
- I want one.

Infiniti Sports Sedan - Remember the XVL concept car from a year or two ago? It was supposed to combine a compact V-6 (the 3.0 or 3.5 VQ) with a RWD platform. Since Nissan is being so aggressive, I can almost promise that the Sports Sedan will be on the Z-car platform. It just makes sense. This car is going to destroy the IS300 and I think that it will rival BMW in terms of sportiness and luxury. I'm absolutely confident that Nissan is going to go all-out on this car, combining as much tech with as much power as they can. Infiniti is finally starting to move away from being cheesy rebadged Nissans to being its own respectable brand. As evidenced by the new Q45, Infiniti is looking to become a leader in technology, sport, luxury, and design (Japanese style design - no more German knock-offs, a la' Lexus. I think that this is a great move. Its time that the Japanese show their culture in their products, just as the Americans and Europeans do.).

- Nissan is going to be kicking serious *** within 5 years.
Old 05-13-2001, 03:12 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Re: You sure about the same tranny from the SE-R????

Russ,

The GTP doesn't use the same tranny as the F-Body (Trans Am). The GTP use a transaxle where as the TA uses a transmission. They are completely different designs. The GTP uses the 4T65E and the F-Body uses the 4L60E. "T" means FWD transaxle and the "L" in 4L60E means longitudal. The gearing isn't the same between the two and neither are their power ratings. The 4T65E is rated at 300 ft/lbs where as the 4L60E is rated at 400 ft/lbs. With low tq rating for the 4T65E means that tranny failures are quite common with GTPs that have smaller pullies (ie they make over 300 fwtq).

Dave
Old 05-13-2001, 05:03 PM

Thanks Dave. Sorry Russ, they are not the same (GTP and F-Body), like I said, and Dave explained once again. Different casing? Give me a break. Why can't people admit when they are wrong, instead of trying to argue a point with GM, and well rounded car people that know their cars, or know more then import and nissan cars.

I'm not saying that the maxima will not have the same tranny, I'm just saying if its the same "source" that told you about the Maxima tranny, I wouldn't trust em, if he's dumb enough to tell you that about the GTP.

Good souce 260hp, not so good source 280hp, my goodness. Sorry to pick on you Russ, your cool, but these directly from Nissan, no named, hear say stuff post struck a nerve with me, and from what I can see, a few other members. I guess many want to be first to see who was right on what the 02 and o3 will behold.
Old 05-13-2001, 05:18 PM
RussMaxManiac

Actually thats your problem Tex. If it struck a nerve I am sorry but my info from my good source has yet to be wrong. But I like just letting everyone know what I hear. You never know. The person who told me its the same tranny helped design the SE-R sentra for Nissan, he test drove the SE-R Sentra after it was made, he also will be testing the new Maxima very soon as well. He is the source I get all my info from. No one believe me about the Altima on some things, but when it came out, all my info was EXACT. And then they come back and start asking me more info on insides of Nissan's because now they trust my info. Also the GTP info, when I owned a 99 ta that is what they told me at the time. I had no idea if it was true or not, but since I didn't know **** about Pontiacs that is what I believed.

Originally posted by TexMaximum
Thanks Dave. Sorry Russ, they are not the same (GTP and F-Body), like I said, and Dave explained once again. Different casing? Give me a break. Why can't people admit when they are wrong, instead of trying to argue a point with GM, and well rounded car people that know their cars, or know more then import and nissan cars.

I'm not saying that the maxima will not have the same tranny, I'm just saying if its the same "source" that told you about the Maxima tranny, I wouldn't trust em, if he's dumb enough to tell you that about the GTP.

Good souce 260hp, not so good source 280hp, my goodness. Sorry to pick on you Russ, your cool, but these directly from Nissan, no named, hear say stuff post struck a nerve with me, and from what I can see, a few other members. I guess many want to be first to see who was right on what the 02 and o3 will behold.

Old 05-13-2001, 05:23 PM

The XVL, according to my Infiniti dealer, rated #1 in service last year, says the XVL will be based on the Z car, which makes sense money wise. It will offer a 2+2 seating, and a 4 door version at a later date, which will be good to compete with the is300 and BMW 330 coupes and sedans. This is not fact, as of yet of course, and as we know delaers are not always right. The pricing is supposed to be not to far from the I30/I35, and maybe have a lower base price.

When I found the Z wouldn't offer a 2+2, kinda put me out of the market for one, as I already have a true 2 seater (Corvette) and need the extra small seats for my baby girl. I think the XVL will be in a good market that needs some comp. Think I want one
Old 05-13-2001, 08:27 PM

Bad timing?

I wonder it the timing of the 3.5 VQ in the Altima and Maxima will hurt Nissan sales figures. With gas prices shooting up to $3.00 a gallon this summer, not many people will favor HP over gas mileage. The current Maxima gets 19 MPG city. (I get less than that.) I guess the 2.5 will give decent mileage in the Altima. With the 5 speed the Altima currently gives 23 city/31 highway. (21/28 with auto) To add to the high cost of gas... just about every Nissan requires 91 octane, which is usually 20+ cents higher per gallon. Great cars, bad timing?
Old 05-13-2001, 10:47 PM

Good point Paul. And this is just the start of gas problems.

And Russ, your the one that tried to feed us that "Yes the same tranny, different casing" on the GTP and TransAm saga. That was what made me wonder, after I had already stated they are NOT the same. And if you don't know anything about the TA you had, why argue that false belief with me, like I don’t know what I’m talking about. We all make mistakes, saying the GTP had the same transition, just beefed up for the TA, as a comparison to what Nissan might do with the Sentra was false, as GM didn’t do that. Also Russ, not singling you out, I said I was tried of all these no named sources containing different stories, your not the only one, not even in this post. So as far as I’n concerned, unless someone can prove it, its not established fact yet, and many may be right on what Nissan ultimately puts out and some will be wrong.
Old 05-14-2001, 05:47 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Altima/Maxima/Z/Infiniti Sports Sedan

In your dreams it will be a RWD car. The current CHASSIS of the Maxima will not support RWD. 2002 it will be FWD with 260hp same as the I35. Altima will also be FWD, it has already been announced.

Originally posted by SleeperSE
- I don't have any contacts - just common sense. Nissan is going beserk under the leadership of Carlos Ghosn. This guy is starting to kick off a major Japanese horsepower war, just like the American Muscle Car craze back in the day.
- The competition is getting pretty fierce. There are V-6 model Camry's and Accords that make about 200hp. Lexus has the new IS300 (215hp), Acura has the 3.2CL and 3.2TL Type S models, each with 260hp. Nissan is the other company in the Japanese "Big Three," so one can only imagine that he's going to be aggressive.
- Nissan's line-up two-three years ago sucked. America had the same respectable, but bland models and the European line-up was getting trounced on for a lack of technology and a lack of panache. In short, Nissan was boring and far behind the technological leaders. Carlos Ghosn is rebuilding the company from the ground up and realizes that emotion is a driving force in sales, hence the new Z and the large hp numbers.
- Also, keep in mind that most Nissan-published materials have centered around the new 3.5L (VQ based, but with more technology) six-cylinder engine and the upcoming Z-car's racy suspension. There has also been serious talk in many auto-magazines of an upcoming compact Infiniti sports sedan to compete on the same grounds as the Lexus IS300.

- Here's what I think is going to happen:

Altima - The new Altima is finally taking its place amongst the Accord and Camry as a true mid-size sedan with a choice of 4 and 6 cylinder engines (this is while the Sentra battles it out with the compacts, like the Civic). The engines are the 2.5L SE-R motor and the ubiquitous 3.5L six (detuned for the lower prices ofthe Altima). Suspension is based upon the Z car. Although there is a strong chance that the car will be FWD, please note that the ads at NissanDriven.com don't reveal which wheels are being driven. Also, on the "performance" link at the site, the Traction Control blurb is pointing to the rear wheels. Since the suspension is from the Z car, there is a chance that the car could be RWD to save costs between the 4 new models (Altima, Maxima, Z Car, and Infiniti Sports Sedan).

Maxima - Who the hell knows!? The 5th gen will only be out for 3 model years, so you kinda wonder why they're bothering. Perhaps Carlos Ghosn really is that aggressive. (Although, the 5th gen was just a spruced up 4th gen anyway - it didn't cost that much to turn it into a 5th generation car.) The new Maxima will almost definitely be bigger - probably along the lines of a Lexus GS300/400. Power will come from the (surpise!) 3.5L engine and will probably sing to the tune of 270-280hp (260 seems too close to the Altima's 240). We'll still have the choice of a stick (thank God!), but it should be upgraded to a six-speed to garner enthusiast attention and to get better highway fuel-mileage. I imagine that we'll get a 5-speed automatic too. RWD, FWD, who knows? RWD certainly fits in with the larger size aspect and with the economical platform-sharing plan that Ghosn admires so much, but historically, the car has always been FWD (which is, of course, cheaper to produce). Still, I think that we'll get a RWD car.

Z-Car - Well, the highest speculated number so far is 305hp. 280 is reasonable to expect, 300 was the reported target number, and 305 is just frickin' sweet. I'm sure that everyone knows that the car is RWD and will have a very sophisicated fully independent suspension at all four corners. Power will be through the naturally aspirated 3.5L six cylinder and will combine good old VQ power with high-efficiency technology like, Variable Valve Timing (on the Intake and Exhaust) and a new "CVTC" technology that has something to do with the combustion process itself. Interior wise, Nissan promises an optional nav-system. Weight seems to be the only problem - especially since the show car weighed 3200 pounds. A car in this segment should tip the scales at 2700-2800 pounds.
- I want one.

Infiniti Sports Sedan - Remember the XVL concept car from a year or two ago? It was supposed to combine a compact V-6 (the 3.0 or 3.5 VQ) with a RWD platform. Since Nissan is being so aggressive, I can almost promise that the Sports Sedan will be on the Z-car platform. It just makes sense. This car is going to destroy the IS300 and I think that it will rival BMW in terms of sportiness and luxury. I'm absolutely confident that Nissan is going to go all-out on this car, combining as much tech with as much power as they can. Infiniti is finally starting to move away from being cheesy rebadged Nissans to being its own respectable brand. As evidenced by the new Q45, Infiniti is looking to become a leader in technology, sport, luxury, and design (Japanese style design - no more German knock-offs, a la' Lexus. I think that this is a great move. Its time that the Japanese show their culture in their products, just as the Americans and Europeans do.).

- Nissan is going to be kicking serious *** within 5 years.

Old 05-14-2001, 02:52 PM
Keven97SE

Gawd, this is the most BS-filled thread EVER! Even if the new 2002 does have 260 HP, etc etc like is "believed" at this point (not the term "believed"), WE DO NOT KNOW what the specs will be. There ARE NO RELIABLE SOURCES AT ANY DEALER. Ghosn himself is about the only reliable source.

Do you really think that some pee-on at a dealer or some pee-on that evaluates new models is going to have such secret marketing knowledge such as new HP specs, features, etc of a new model car? Nissan is keeping this very tightly under-wraps.

Just chill out for another few months until Nissan officially announces the actual specs. You can try all you want to guess what the specs are, and can spout off what this guy or that guy told you, but it's all guesses at this point

...AND FOR GOD'S SAKE QUIT SAYING "FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE". Criminy.

Quick Reply: New info DIRECTLY from Nissan....