General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

DO you want to improve your track times? --->

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2000, 12:14 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

*If you haven't been to the track before, you won't know what the hell I'm talking about.

After reading an interesting write up in Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords about thier project "Stone Pony" (mostly stock 95 automatic GT) I became very interested in a track technique the write kept referring to. I'm talking about shallow and deep staging on the line. Throught out the article, he said that if he shallow staged, his 60 foots improved by .15-.20 seconds and his mph went up 1.5-2mphs, but his reaction times improved. If he deep staged his ets were slower by the same margine, but his reaction times improved dramatically. He had a print out of his 9 runs in one evening showing whether he deep staged or shallow staged and the runs were all consistent and showed the advantage either in reaction time or 60 foot. I was amazed.

Shallow staging: Roll up and set the pre-stage light and then creep just until the stage light comes on. This will give you an extra 7-8" of roll-out before the timing devices are tripped. So you actually could be going 1-2mph before the timing begins.

Deep staging (for the bracket racers): Roll up and set the prestage light and then roll up as far as you can go in the Stage light. Some guys actually set off the staging lights and back up to set on the lights again (track officals don't like this).

Next time I'm out at the track I'm gonna try this and see what happens.

Dave
Old 10-09-2000, 12:16 PM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by Dave B
*If you haven't been to the track before, you won't know what the hell I'm talking about.

After reading an interesting write up in Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords about thier project "Stone Pony" (mostly stock 95 automatic GT) I became very interested in a track technique the write kept referring to. I'm talking about shallow and deep staging on the line. Throught out the article, he said that if he shallow staged, his 60 foots improved by .15-.20 seconds and his mph went up 1.5-2mphs, but his reaction times improved. If he deep staged his ets were slower by the same margine, but his reaction times improved dramatically. He had a print out of his 9 runs in one evening showing whether he deep staged or shallow staged and the runs were all consistent and showed the advantage either in reaction time or 60 foot. I was amazed.

Shallow staging: Roll up and set the pre-stage light and then creep just until the stage light comes on. This will give you an extra 7-8" of roll-out before the timing devices are tripped. So you actually could be going 1-2mph before the timing begins.

Deep staging (for the bracket racers): Roll up and set the prestage light and then roll up as far as you can go in the Stage light. Some guys actually set off the staging lights and back up to set on the lights again (track officals don't like this).

Next time I'm out at the track I'm gonna try this and see what happens.

Dave
Dave you meant to say that if you shallow stage your RT is hurt not improved correct?

-Shing
Old 10-09-2000, 12:28 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Yep, you're right...

Sorry. You're RT gets worse, so you need to adjust your "go" pedal a little sooner off the tree.

Dave
Old 05-25-2002, 09:58 PM

Show some ettiquette when racing

It is bad form to light up both of your pre-stage lights before your opponent does. It is good form for you to light up your first Pre-stage lights and wait for your opponent to do the same. Then when they have lit up their first set of pre-stage lights go ahead and light your 2nd row and get ready to race. Consider it good manners.

If you are deep staging then go ahead and line up.
Old 05-25-2002, 10:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Any reason for backfilling other than to promote ettiquette?
-hype
Old 05-25-2002, 11:16 PM

Re: Show some ettiquette when racing

Originally posted by jgadlage
It is bad form to light up both of your pre-stage lights before your opponent does. It is good form for you to light up your first Pre-stage lights and wait for your opponent to do the same. Then when they have lit up their first set of pre-stage lights go ahead and light your 2nd row and get ready to race. Consider it good manners.

First time I've heard this one. I dont see the reasoning behind it though. The track official wont start the clock until both cars are fully staged anyway.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:38 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: Show some ettiquette when racing

Originally posted by jgadlage

I ALWAYS allow my opponent to set off his Pre-Stage light before I set my Stage light. The only reason it's consider poor ettique to Pre-Stage and Stage before your opponent is when you're running on a Pro-Tree with the .400 light and a true race. Why is this rude? Because you're forcing your opponent to quickly line up and race. 1.5 seconds after he Stages, the Christmas tree starts it's countdown. You're giving him no time to get "comfortable". In Grudge racing, it doesn't make a lick of difference, but I still do it just to show I have some respect for my opponent.

Dave
Old 05-26-2002, 12:15 AM

Woh one night I was really thinking about this, glad someone proved it, I'm shallow staging from now on.
Old 05-26-2002, 01:57 AM

holy cow!!!!

I remember when this was first posted . Good job with the archiving . Basically shallow stage for better 60'/trapspeed and deep stage for lower ET.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:42 AM

Re: holy cow!!!!

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
I remember when this was first posted . Good job with the archiving . Basically shallow stage for better 60'/trapspeed and deep stage for lower ET.
wow, i just noticed the dates above....so Dave, did you ever prove this?
Old 05-26-2002, 10:32 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: holy cow!!!!

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
Deep staging doesn't get you a lower ET. It gets you better reaction times which is much more important during bracket racing. Shallow staging will get better 60 foots and better ETs/MPHs. The only advantage of deep staging is in bracket racing.

Trevor-
Yes, my experience is shallow staging does help. Watch me at the track next time. I set the Pre-stage light, then roll real slowly until I see the Stage light come on.

Dave
Old 05-26-2002, 10:47 AM

Re: Re: holy cow!!!!

Deep staging doesn't get you a lower ET. It gets you better reaction times which is much more important during bracket racing. Shallow staging will get better 60 foots and better ETs/MPHs. The only advantage of deep staging is in bracket racing.

Trevor-
Yes, my experience is shallow staging does help. Watch me at the track next time. I set the Pre-stage light, then roll real slowly until I see the Stage light come on.

Dave
hmmm, you didnt share this tip with me before.....what else are you hiding from me dave?
Old 05-26-2002, 11:55 AM

Re: Re: Show some ettiquette when racing

I ALWAYS allow my opponent to set off his Pre-Stage light before I set my Stage light. The only reason it's consider poor ettique to Pre-Stage and Stage before your opponent is when you're running on a Pro-Tree with the .400 light and a true race. Why is this rude? Because you're forcing your opponent to quickly line up and race. 1.5 seconds after he Stages, the Christmas tree starts it's countdown. You're giving him no time to get "comfortable". In Grudge racing, it doesn't make a lick of difference, but I still do it just to show I have some respect for my opponent.
Wouldnt it be better that way to quickly force your opponent to line up quickly and race? Actually I still wouldnt consider it forcing, its not like he MUST line up x amount of seconds after you stage. If thats the case and I'm racing somebody I'll make use of every means necessary to gain an advantage. Call me a butt but its not like in bowling when you should wait for the guy next to you to go.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shallow staging...isn't that what we suppose to do anyway? I thought that's the norm. That's what I always do when I'm at the track. I just creep up enough to light up the stage light.