General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Brakes--->>

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 07:22 AM

I was just out washing my car this morning and I notice one of my front brake pads was extremely more worn than the other.. What does this mean?? I just had the pads changed last year.
Old 05-11-2001, 08:07 AM

That the more worn out one is rubbing the rotor even though you aren't pressing on the brake?????????
Old 05-11-2001, 08:17 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

siezed brake piston. it's probably overheating your rotor too. time to get a remanufactured or rebuilt brake caliper.

Originally posted by Washington DC Maxima
I was just out washing my car this morning and I notice one of my front brake pads was extremely more worn than the other.. What does this mean?? I just had the pads changed last year.
Old 05-11-2001, 08:19 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Several things

It could be:

- a sticky caliper, which may need to be rebuilt.
- crud/air in the brake lines, which may need to be flushed out with fresh fluid.
- defective brake pad (uneven wear)
- warped rotors, with one side worse than the other.

At a minimum, I would get your rotors turned/replaced dependent upon their condition. Also getting fresh brake fluid in and bleeding is good as well. That, of course is in addition to needing new pads. Visit the 4th gen forum for part numbers/prices of typical brake parts.....
Old 05-11-2001, 08:23 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

siezed brake piston. it's probably overheating your rotor too. time to get a remanufactured or rebuilt brake caliper.

Old 05-11-2001, 08:23 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

I agree

Originally posted by DanNY

with this, although it *could* only be a rotor. The front caliper rebuild kit part number/info is in a Sticky post on the 4th gen forum.......
Old 05-11-2001, 02:22 PM

Thanks fellas I guess I'll find out what -->>

is wrong with it tomorrow...

Old 05-11-2001, 09:50 PM

Which side is it worn? If it is the outers, it could be lack of lubrication. The part where the caliper mounts to the bracket should be able to move. If it is the inner, then it should be the piston seal and needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
Old 05-12-2001, 04:07 AM

Good question your only the second-->>

person to ask me that(my buddy who usually does my brakes ask that too). It's the outter as far as I can tell. I'm going over 1max2nv's house in a few minutes to work on the brakes. Thanks again..

Originally posted by gabuchu
Which side is it worn? If it is the outers, it could be lack of lubrication. The part where the caliper mounts to the bracket should be able to move. If it is the inner, then it should be the piston seal and needs to be rebuilt or replaced.