General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Do you ever start to lose interest in modding your Max?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005 | 10:17 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
I dropped a 3.5 into my 95, and sometimes I wish I would have just bought a 2k2 max.

i think about that also when i drive my bros 5.5 gen max. and yeah i hate fixing instead of modding.
Old 04-29-2005 | 10:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by hacim105
Me personally, I plan on keeping my car until I have no choice. Which means I'll be swapping engine, tranny and all the other components. I really enjoy the Maxima and no car out there at this time makes me want it more than my car does.

i agree, i will be keeping my max as long as i can, when my engine dies on me(not too soon only got 39k miles on it) i will prolli swap in a 3.5, ect ect, once the body starts falling apart.. thats the only problem, haha i love my max, and ionno, im young and stupid, and i consider my max a hobby, its a DAMN expensive hobby, but i love it.
Old 04-29-2005 | 10:24 PM

i wouldnt mind if my max right now if it atleasted LOOKED good but to me stock the car is ugly. Now im Contemplating on a 04 V8 COBRA or a 05 V8 GT gotta see wut comes my way.
Old 04-29-2005 | 10:55 PM
KH3 by popular demand

I haven't done many mods just a few here and there. Money is a big factor when you are supporting more than yourself. I used to do car shows but now I'm over it, as long as my car looks good and performs good to me I'll be happy with it, my ultimate goal is to go boosted after it is paid off. The next car I would probably get is a 5.5 gen or if opportunity knocks an 05 Altima SE-R. I still have to do mods like y pipe, exhaust, hids,suspension, interior, bodykit and turbo (basically everything until it is the way I want it). But still working on this because of lack of funds.
Old 04-30-2005 | 05:16 AM

i've been giving it some thought. i've had my maxima for 8 solid years. i've stopped modding it for speed more than 2 years ago, but i will be adding slotted rotors, upgraded pads and SS lines this week. new tires coming soon. it's been so much fun learning how to drive it better. the 4th gen i believe is the best all around 4 door sedan ever from nissan. i've worked on improving the maxima's strengths and minimizing it's weaknesses. the maxima i currently own not only runs 14.0 on the strip, but delivers 440mi/tank and the light just starting to flicker. it was made on a wednesday i think! anyway, it's been a great, reliable and fun car, but i'm moving on to a G35 coupe by mid summer. i hate to say goodbye to this car, but moving on to the bigger and better VQ powered G35 will be something good to look forward to. i hope the infiniti is as much an overachiever as this car was. we'll have to see about that...i'll keep you guys posted.
Old 04-30-2005 | 12:55 PM

I don't know a thing about cars. Heck, I didn't know how to change a tire until about a year ago. That, and I've been taking my car into the shop a lot for things such as coils, KS, airbag, and soon, motor mounts. Too much money just for repairs = no money for mods. All I have done is tints, DC's, and red/clears. At least those mods won't ever break down/fall apart/eat up more gas. So no, no modding done, and no modding in the near future.
Old 04-30-2005 | 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by SOAD1983
I don't know a thing about cars. Heck, I didn't know how to change a tire until about a year ago. That, and I've been taking my car into the shop a lot for things such as coils, KS, airbag, and soon, motor mounts. Too much money just for repairs = no money for mods. All I have done is tints, DC's, and red/clears. At least those mods won't ever break down/fall apart/eat up more gas. So no, no modding done, and no modding in the near future.
If you do tints, why not charge people to do theirs. Make money so you can make mods
Old 04-30-2005 | 06:25 PM
UCF Lexus

Originally Posted by Nismotic
you think you're done. But more and more God damn mods come out and you want them too.
Aint that the truth!
I could go on and on about performance and crazy other mods I would want to do to my car. Some are just impractical mods tho (shaving door handles, automatic hood and trunk...etc)

But on a side note, if I were to win the lottery of have any other type of big funds - I would keep my car forever. I love it soo much.

At times she's a PITA, but thats life...and as long as I have a steady income, mods will continue to appear on my Max.
Old 04-30-2005 | 06:45 PM

since im young and barely have any responsibilities, plus i get nice fat checks from the VA . i probably will contintue to mod my max. and when im done with it. ill move on to a better car, but still modding it. becasue i like to give my cars a personal touch. wether it be rims, drops, tints, HIDs, systems.. ect... cant forget the performance mods either. even when i get older and have to spend money on the house and fam, i will scrounge what i can little by little just so i can mod my car.
Old 04-30-2005 | 09:47 PM

my maxima is fairly new so i still have a list of things that i think i "need" to get done, i dont believe that moding your car ever gets boreing and you moght think that there is nothing else to be done, but the idea of " wow that would be cool but why spend that kind of money" might be the main thought in the decision makeing of not doing a mod.
Old 04-30-2005 | 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
If you do tints, why not charge people to do theirs. Make money so you can make mods
I never said I did the tints myself. But if you want me to put some on your car, I'll do it for 100 bucks. I just can't guarantee I'll do them right.
Old 05-01-2005 | 02:56 AM
GrandPa

Modding is like getting tattos, once you start it is hard to stop. I am 58 years old and retired in 2002 after 32 years with NY Telephone Company. My first mod was to change the grille. If you like you can check out my site www.cardomain.com/id/ramberg and look at my mods. I also did a dyno and that is on page one of my site. Later Warren

Old 05-01-2005 | 03:40 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

I don't really lose the urge to mod my car, just the urge to trade/sell and get a new car.
Old 05-01-2005 | 07:01 AM
Banned

FOr me, theres too many nice cars coming out all the time for me to mod this one...I mean, I bought this car because it was everything I wanted, all put together for me already, i went from 4sp to 5sp, 145 to 265hp, and no comparison in handling..no (reliable and cost effective) mods coulda done that to my old car (taurus). Now come 3-4 years from now when ill most likely be looking for something else, id be happy i stayed stock and went to a 400hp car instead of having spent thousands ill never get back on a turbo for this car. Of course, its all money permitting, but my basic belief is I bought this car because I liked how it was as-is..i know alot of people have a different philosophy, and prefer getting a cheaper car and modding the heck out of it. I coulda done that, but It just dosent seem wise to me, I may get some 20" rims but thats it...and when i get rid of the car the rims go on ebay and I get something back. For $30,000 theres the STi and the Evo, but i cant bring myself to spending that dough on a pocket rocked based on a cheap economy car, but I dont have a need for speed like some here do, I just dont care that much, i prefer looking good going slow more.
Old 05-01-2005 | 08:09 AM
The original VQ...

Modding is fun but if you collect up your recipts and bills you regret it alittle bit.

On my last forth gen i had full exhaust, act clutch and flywheel, pulley intake and other little things, i thought my car was quick and pritty decent.

Then i started to get smoked by stock 3.5 altimas and maximas and other stock new cars , and i realized i just waisted all this money on modds.
Old 05-01-2005 | 08:54 PM
Banned

lol maxspeed...i know its like that...if you want a true return on investment..ya gotta do nothing to the car..... but one things gonna remain the same, cars keep getting faster right outta the box...so sometimes its wiser just to wait..but if everyone felt that way therd be nothing going on in the forums either, ya know? I think you gotta compare the car to itself to truely get a measure of anything, and if thats not enough, save your money.
Old 05-01-2005 | 09:51 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
lol maxspeed...i know its like that...if you want a true return on investment..ya gotta do nothing to the car..... but one things gonna remain the same, cars keep getting faster right outta the box...so sometimes its wiser just to wait..but if everyone felt that way therd be nothing going on in the forums either, ya know? I think you gotta compare the car to itself to truely get a measure of anything, and if thats not enough, save your money.
that is why you make your cars faster then all of the new cars that are comming out. and to do that you have to modify them.
Old 05-01-2005 | 11:58 PM

I lost interest, I wanted to mod a car that I felt was more of a sports car. . . so I got the IS, and now im slowly modding it (catback, awaiting springs), and its a whole new cycle, but realistically, its expensive and not a great thing to spend money on.
Old 05-02-2005 | 04:21 AM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by Wisky97SE
I lost interest, I wanted to mod a car that I felt was more of a sports car. . . so I got the IS, and now im slowly modding it (catback, awaiting springs), and its a whole new cycle, but realistically, its expensive and not a great thing to spend money on.

I walked every IS i raced, unless boosted i think they suck, why did your sell your max and think a slower car was more of a sports car?
Old 05-02-2005 | 07:54 AM

I think it depends on what your definition of a sports car is. If it's raw power, than yea, the Maxima may have the edge over an IS. But have you ever driven an IS? Those things handle a billion times better than a Maxima. I agree it's a little underpowered, but combine it with the handling characteristics and I think it's more of a "sports car" than a Maxima could ever be. Just my $.02
Old 05-02-2005 | 08:18 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

I am not really tired HOWEVER, I do waist money on modding, and when I think I have maxed out the mods, I end up buying something else. Modding for me is actually a waist of time and money. I have hooked up every car I have own, and I think my problem is that I space my modding out. It's like every year i get a few more mods and then when year two comes around, I end up buying a new car. Budget wise, I am a complete a$$ about that. There is always going to be a better car or something I want no matter how much I hook up my car, and I fall victim to that. For example: I bought my 96 maxima GLE in 97 did some mods got bored and I wanted a 98 SE pathfinder. I got the pathfinder, hooked it up and then the new 99.5 body came out. I then hated my Pathfinder. I next wanted a coupe then and I looked at the 2001 acura CL-S and wanted that car. Bought the 2001 cls. Then the new 2001 QX4 came out, I want the Qx4 but i just finished modding the acura. Bought the 02 Qx4, modded it, made it unique from everyone else (one of the top 2, Qx4 in www.cardomain.com) got bored. I wanted a project car so, I bought a 01 g20t for project car SR20det and everything, had it running, tired of install problems and fuel leaks and got bored. Sold the G20t and got a 03 G35 sedan (still have). Traded in the Qx4 bought an 04 I35. If you look at all of the waist of money i have done in the last 6 years and each car costing between 20000-36000, i spent well over a 150,000 in cars when I could have bought a bigger house, investments, vacations etc.. and this is not including the modifications I have done on each and every car. I have already dished 6000 between the I35 and G35. The funny thing is that nobody near me even has a I35, let alone have a hooked up I35. I think there are about 4 of us that I can count in the .org I35 forums (around the country) that actually have a hooked up/modded I35 let alone have an I35. Even my service advisor said to me that, what I am doing to the I35 is ridiculous, it's a luxury car and that i am the ONLY one at that he has seen while working at the dealership, with a modded I35. Pretty soon I am going to get bored (almost there) and I am going to want another car.
Old 05-02-2005 | 08:19 AM
is invisible

If a couple hundred $ improves it significantly, so be it...I'll do it.
Plus it helps me forget the regret I have for not buying a different car.
Old 05-02-2005 | 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
I walked every IS i raced, unless boosted i think they suck, why did your sell your max and think a slower car was more of a sports car?

Come to Spring Valley Nanuet, there are some IS' you should race, it will put things in perspective for you.

My IS is a much better car than my Maxima was, its RWD, handles great, and drives so much better, there arent a billion rattles and creeks, and it doesnt feel cheap inside. The IS is NOT fast, I know this, but its faster than my Maxima was, and for the record, I raced my friends modded Auto 95 (intake, Ypipe, hiflo cat, pulleys) and beat him by about 2 cars from a stop, and walked him from a roll. But who cares? If I wanted to be faster than everyone, I would have bought an Fbody LS1. the IS300 is not a sports car, but its MUCH more of a sports car than the Maxima is (this is fact).
Old 05-02-2005 | 11:45 AM
MaximaFreak

Fact it is. For one it's RWD. For two it has 4 wheel independent suspension. Those two things alone make it closer to a sports car than a Maxima.
Old 05-02-2005 | 11:49 AM

it is a lack of funds but when you do get money it's like a new toy
Old 05-02-2005 | 06:16 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

for the whole year i have owned this car i have spent over $5000 on it. none of it went to mods, body work or even gas. it was all for fines, fees and repair work to TRY and get my car smogged and registeredm and it still isnt. needless to say, i hate this car and regret every buying it.
Old 05-02-2005 | 08:10 PM

Nevar.....
Old 05-02-2005 | 09:02 PM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by Wisky97SE
Come to Spring Valley Nanuet, there are some IS' you should race, it will put things in perspective for you.

My IS is a much better car than my Maxima was, its RWD, handles great, and drives so much better, there arent a billion rattles and creeks, and it doesnt feel cheap inside. The IS is NOT fast, I know this, but its faster than my Maxima was, and for the record, I raced my friends modded Auto 95 (intake, Ypipe, hiflo cat, pulleys) and beat him by about 2 cars from a stop, and walked him from a roll. But who cares? If I wanted to be faster than everyone, I would have bought an Fbody LS1. the IS300 is not a sports car, but its MUCH more of a sports car than the Maxima is (this is fact).
no one cares about your buddy who clearly needs a tune-up and he will eat you or some IS at some valley, only good thing about an IS is it's RWD but what fun is that when you get beat by FWD, And you have a auto , what the hell kinda sports car is that, it is in the 1/4 mile class with stock hondas?

And you must of had a cheap salvage maxima if it rattled and cracked?
Old 05-02-2005 | 09:03 PM

When i sat down and looked at it today i totaled up the amount i have spent on my car. The total came to around $17,000. Boy do i feel like a dumb a$$, but hey its a blast to drive
Old 05-02-2005 | 10:04 PM

i lose money more than anything
Old 05-03-2005 | 06:04 AM

I got sick of it once I reached the most I was going to do to this car. Now I'm looking for something nicer and faster w/o FWD. Eventually you'll get tired of it, especially when you start driving the newer cars that keep coming out.
Old 05-03-2005 | 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaRider
I got sick of it once I reached the most I was going to do to this car. Now I'm looking for something nicer and faster w/o FWD. Eventually you'll get tired of it, especially when you start driving the newer cars that keep coming out.
You bum
Old 05-03-2005 | 11:43 AM

no one cares about your buddy who clearly needs a tune-up and he will eat you or some IS at some valley, only good thing about an IS is it's RWD but what fun is that when you get beat by FWD, And you have a auto , what the hell kinda sports car is that, it is in the 1/4 mile class with stock hondas?

What is it with you and straight line racing? Are you that braindead that you cant realize that street racing and straight line speed is not what makes a good car? My car will probably run the 1/4 in 15.3, but thats fast enough for me; its probably fast enough for you too because your car cant do much better. I never said the IS300 was a sports car, but I did say its alot more of a sports car than a Maxima. Yes I have an auto, which is stronger and holds more power than the stock 5spd that comes with the IS; its a much better auto than say, the 4spd Nissan automatic.

This was my Maxima; it had a clean title, and yeah it was cheap; worth as much as your Maxima probably is.

I had enough of this, I replied to this thread to say how I lost intrest in modding my Maxima. You replied on how you walked every IS you raced; good job, heres a cookie.
Old 05-03-2005 | 12:06 PM
Custom User Title

LOL... To tell you guys the truth, I would also rather have an IS too. 10x more potential (2JZ-GTE) than the Max. Enjoy the IS man, its a sweet car.
Old 05-03-2005 | 03:19 PM
vsamoylov

there is nothing wrong with a max that has a salvadge title. i own one and no regrets and it is quite insdie with no rattles or creaks or anything like that of any sort.
Old 05-03-2005 | 04:11 PM

People who have sold their maximas somehow always feel the need to rub it in our faces and go on about how their new/better car outhandles/pwns their previous max and say stuff like "bigger and better" and implying that we're all stuck driving POS while he/she has gone up and moved to the "next level" with something "better" and "haven't looked back" and it smells new and they can't stop poking the soft dashboard blah blah blah

Quit being jerks about your new purchase and go brag somewhere else.
Old 05-03-2005 | 05:04 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by JClaw
People who have sold their maximas somehow always feel the need to rub it in our faces and go on about how their new/better car outhandles/pwns their previous max and say stuff like "bigger and better" and implying that we're all stuck driving POS while he/she has gone up and moved to the "next level" with something "better" and "haven't looked back" and it smells new and they can't stop poking the soft dashboard blah blah blah

Quit being jerks about your new purchase and go brag somewhere else.
i hate when people do that. maybe they miss it and that is why they say things like that? mods are expensive but dependign on which mods you do, they will give the new cars a run for their money and considering a is300 a sports car cant be done cause the only thing that makes it different from a max is that it is rear wheel drive. it will handle better yes but that doesnt make it a sport car and come to think of it, more closer to a sports sedan cause it still has 4 doors. hands down i will take my max over the is300 but that is just me.
Old 05-03-2005 | 06:04 PM

I will prob run 13s on street tires, reliably, and pulling 28-30 mpg due to weight reduction this summer. Well within the recent batch of "fast" cars. I don't care that it's 10 years old, I'll get there with less than 7k, car included.
Old 05-03-2005 | 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Does anyone here start to lose motivation for modding their max after awhile?

After this summer I will have the max dropped on 19s, the audio system installed, and a custom interior job. Then I am going to get a leather interior for X-Mas. After that, I think I am going to call it a day with her.

Ideally, if the funds allowed, I would also get an Aero kit & xenons for both the headlights and foglights and put a DVD player in there.

But let's face it, these mods aren't cheap unless you are sponging off of mommy and daddy, or already established.

I am going to have to start putting alot more bank towards my house/wedding/Roth-IRA in the next coming years, which kind of puts me at a loss for time/money to devote to the Max.

Is this common with other owners here...or just me?

I REALLY want to get all of the mods done, but it seems as though in the long run I am better off investing towards other things...

What are your thoughts?
I never had any motivation to mod my Max. I like it the way it came from the factory.
Old 05-03-2005 | 06:34 PM
$tillenmax2k

Originally Posted by JClaw
I will prob run 13s on street tires, reliably, and pulling 28-30 mpg due to weight reduction this summer. Well within the recent batch of "fast" cars. I don't care that it's 10 years old, I'll get there with less than 7k, car included.
Except the new cars will be more comfortable, quieter, and look nicer. IMO, stripping it down is not an acceptable way of "keeping up" with modern cars.

Quick Reply: Do you ever start to lose interest in modding your Max?