General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Do you ever start to lose interest in modding your Max?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005 | 09:19 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Do you ever start to lose interest in modding your Max?

Does anyone here start to lose motivation for modding their max after awhile?

After this summer I will have the max dropped on 19s, the audio system installed, and a custom interior job. Then I am going to get a leather interior for X-Mas. After that, I think I am going to call it a day with her.

Ideally, if the funds allowed, I would also get an Aero kit & xenons for both the headlights and foglights and put a DVD player in there.

But let's face it, these mods aren't cheap unless you are sponging off of mommy and daddy, or already established.

I am going to have to start putting alot more bank towards my house/wedding/Roth-IRA in the next coming years, which kind of puts me at a loss for time/money to devote to the Max.

Is this common with other owners here...or just me?

I REALLY want to get all of the mods done, but it seems as though in the long run I am better off investing towards other things...

What are your thoughts?
Old 04-28-2005 | 09:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am technically still "sponging off of mommy and daddy", even though I paid everything from the car to the insurence, mods, gas, repairs, most of my food, and never ask money.

Basically I'm dropping big $$ in the car right now and when that is done (this summer) I will back off, only do small mods once in a while, and concentrate on saving money.

You're only young and stupid once in your life, better not waste it.
Old 04-28-2005 | 09:46 AM
Getting back to his roots

Every spring / summer I love my car, and mod the hell out of it. Then the bad New England weather hits, and I hate my car and want to sell it. Then the weather gets nice again, and driving it is fun again. Its a vicious cycle.
Old 04-28-2005 | 09:51 AM

when I bought my car, I was 22, and really wanted to mod the crap out of it. After joining the .org, I read a lot, and came to conclusion that mods cause the reliability go down, resale go down, and is a waist of $. No mods for me. I would rather save for a downpayment on a nicer car rather then mod it.
Old 04-28-2005 | 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima

After this summer I will have the max dropped on 19s, the audio system installed, and a custom interior job. Then I am going to get a leather interior for X-Mas. After that, I think I am going to call it a day with her.

Ideally, if the funds allowed, I would also get an Aero kit & xenons for both the headlights and foglights and put a DVD player in there.

But let's face it, these mods aren't cheap unless you are sponging off of mommy and daddy, or already established.

I am going to have to start putting alot more bank towards my house/wedding/Roth-IRA in the next coming years, which kind of puts me at a loss for time/money to devote to the Max.

I REALLY want to get all of the mods done, but it seems as though in the long run I am better off investing towards other things...

What are your thoughts?
So in reality what's happening to you is that you won't have money to put into your car right now so you don't want to MOD. You're not getting tired of it, it's just sad not being able to do all you want. Because in all actuality if you had the money to do what you wanted you would never be done, because there is always one more thing. For example rims, I've gone through 3 pairs of rims. I just got the ones I have now but in a year and a half I know I'll be tired of them and want new ones. It just keeps going on. It just sucks when you don't have the money.

Also you have to take into consideration with mods, how long do you want to keep your. If you're a person who will keep it for a long time and I mean 6 years or longer than by all means mod away, but if you like to get a newer car at the end of your loan or every couple of years than modding is pointless and a waste of time for you. Me personally, I plan on keeping my car until I have no choice. Which means I'll be swapping engine, tranny and all the other components. I really enjoy the Maxima and no car out there at this time makes me want it more than my car does.
Old 04-28-2005 | 09:53 AM

No... never... I've always had the urge to fiddle with my cars, within my means of course...
Old 04-28-2005 | 11:11 AM

Well, being married and homeowner....modding is kinda hard to come by with other expenses, responsibilites and obligations......but there doesn't seem to be alot mods to do to the 04 max.....but I think some people do go thru a phase when they get the car to much of what they envisioned or close to it and then it's like "OK.....what else is there to do to it....."...then also, it could be a matter of money...I mean these mods aren't cheap, so I can see why some folks my lose interest at time because it's just not in the means or reach right now......this can get to be an expensive hobby/passion.....
Old 04-28-2005 | 11:23 AM
Shiver me timbers.

I am tired of modding my car. I have had my body kit sitting in my garage for about a year now. I really wish I wouldn't have changed the shocks/springs. Now my car feels like a truck. It's nice to drive my wifes stock Maxima and remember how mine used to drive.
Old 04-28-2005 | 11:23 AM
Conecarver

Everyone's committment is unique. After 4 years of modding I'm still finding ways to spend $$. Drill it down to just the front suspension and I've gone from Eibachs and Koni's, to Progress coils, to revalving the struts, to changing springs from 10" 450lb, to 8" 450", to 8" 700lb, and now on to something else. There's continually something for me to improve upon...
Old 04-28-2005 | 11:42 AM
Sittin' On Chrome

Originally Posted by maxfanfromohio
I really wish I wouldn't have changed the shocks/springs. Now my car feels like a truck.
Did you raise it?
Old 04-28-2005 | 11:43 AM
Always sunny in philly

You visualize what you want to mod out of your Max, but when you finally do everything on the list, you think you're done. But more and more God damn mods come out and you want them too.

My car is complete and I'm done with modding it. It's time to start saving for the future car...(G35)
Old 04-28-2005 | 12:04 PM
vsamoylov

money is a big part of it and when you dont have any to spend on your max, you get tired of modding it.
Old 04-28-2005 | 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
when I bought my car, I was 22, and really wanted to mod the crap out of it. After joining the .org, I read a lot, and came to conclusion that mods cause the reliability go down, resale go down, and is a waist of $. No mods for me. I would rather save for a downpayment on a nicer car rather then mod it.
Well said. My car is completely stock as well. The only thing I may change out is the crappy BOSE HU and higher temp HID bulbs. Other than that, no engine, body or suspension mods for me.
Old 04-28-2005 | 12:17 PM

no money + maxima.org =
Old 04-28-2005 | 12:23 PM
vsamoylov

I dont know. i see mods as improvements to the car. when i drive my car adn then switch to my moms i30, her car feels like a boat. completly different. her car is all stock. mods just improve the car. i see it this way. a car has to handle good and be fast and look good at the same time and a stock maxima doesnt fit into any of those 3 places.
Old 04-28-2005 | 02:34 PM
Pay to Play

Well guys I think im gonna include my self in the team that just dont see the point in adding more mods to my maxima, i mean; I live in MD and let me tell u that there are VERY FEW maxima's hooked up here, and yes im not gonna lie that i like to get to a place or a light and people looking at my car and be like "Oh!! **** look at that max how unique from the other cars...Feels Good. But when i turn around and think that a maxima can get only so many things done and can go only so fast that i rather invest money in things that im really gonna need in the future like a house for example. I mean if i wanted to i would have SC my car by now but guess what, Have you ever asked your self how many faster cars are out there than your SC max??? Like a STI for example? Or Evo? or Those ugly Neon SRT-4 they will SMOKE you by just increasing their PSI..But everyone has different minds!! Like (JClaw) said "Your only stupid and young once in your life so just dont waist time!!!" To end this let me tell all of you that I LOVE MY MAX and everyone in the org. Congratulations For having such sweet Rides!! Keep em UP!!!
Old 04-28-2005 | 02:35 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Sometimes I wish that I left the car alone and used that money for other goodies like a b-tchn flat screen tv, a nice over-seas vacation or pay off some debts. Its amazing how much gas I use in a 2 week period.
Old 04-28-2005 | 02:42 PM

Yeah I get bored of modding the max during the winter or everytime I see a g35 roll by.
Old 04-28-2005 | 02:44 PM

sometimes, but either way, id still be spending my $$ on something. to me its a hobby and its what i like to do. but i need to slow down, but i wont, so yea, sometimes
Old 04-28-2005 | 02:57 PM

I had a modded 4th gen for about 3 years and every penny i had went into the car..When i upgraded to my 5th gen is around the time i started working for Falken, now that im in the industry for some reason i have no drive to fix up my car what so ever besides the little things here and there to make it fun to drive.(suspension swaybars etc). I was talking to alot of the guys here at falken too only a small fraction of us actually mod cars beyond a drop and wheels since its so overwhelming at shows etc. I doubt i will do anything else to mine in the long run
Old 04-28-2005 | 03:22 PM

I lost interest in modding the engine and exhaust after fighting with a MAF issue. After doing my suspension I lost interest in any further suspension upgrades. After all that my car is still slow. So I gave up on that kind of modding. I guess I bounce back and forth. With that being said, it all costs money. I don't mod unless I have the money. My wife, house, family, IRA's and school never get neglected for modding. I love my car, but it is just that, a car.
Old 04-28-2005 | 03:33 PM
SLOW

Sometimes but then I go to the track and I remember why I love it so much. I tell myself I've just got to make it faster, handle better, stop better, grip better, etc.
Old 04-28-2005 | 04:00 PM

kinda sorta. I am kinda running out of $hit to buy
Old 04-28-2005 | 04:01 PM
$tillenmax2k

My motto is to use quality parts, along with quality work to install them and maintain the car.
It makes a huge difference in the performance and reliability of the vehicle.
No matter what kind of car, (or any vehicle) I ever own, they have never and will never stay stock.
Old 04-28-2005 | 04:16 PM

I went crazy last summer buying wheels, springs/struts, intake,and a few cosmetic mods to get my Max to where I want it to be and now I'm done and saving up for my next car. Its tough to get out of the modding phase cause its addicting but after a while you're just dumping a whole lot of money into a car thats just losing value and getting old
Old 04-28-2005 | 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stillen Maxima
I mean if i wanted to i would have SC my car by now but guess what, Have you ever asked your self how many faster cars are out there than your SC max??? Like a STI for example? Or Evo? or Those ugly Neon SRT-4 they will SMOKE you by just increasing their PSI..But everyone has different minds!! Like (JClaw) said "Your only stupid and young once in your life so just dont waist time!!!" To end this let me tell all of you that I LOVE MY MAX and everyone in the org. Congratulations For having such sweet Rides!! Keep em UP!!!
I agree that there will always be something faster, even something faster than an EVO or STI which aren't RIDICULOUSLY fast in the first place. Look at MardiGras he ran an 11.5 that's very impressive... doing that in a luxury sedan is priceless and definately adds more to the fun factor. I would take a S/C or 3.5L 4th Gen that's nicely modded anyday over a stock STI or EVO. Maybe I'm just stupid and young (actually I am stupid and young)...
Old 04-28-2005 | 07:04 PM

I would also take 3.5L 4th gen over a STI or EVO because my wallet prefers that
Old 04-28-2005 | 07:08 PM

Screw the STI or EVO, gimme a BMW 330i or G35C.
Old 04-28-2005 | 07:18 PM
brooklynK3Y

im young, ju$t got into modding, and im already addicted.. But i'm not going to mod it up too much, just to the point where im satisfied.. Not over doing by worrying about how my car sounds, if i want it to growl, want to lower it more...all thats not necessary, just get a Evo if u really into that kinda thing..
Old 04-28-2005 | 07:43 PM

Its not really losing the interests. Its just the lack of funds. I can say i'm lucky because i live at home, i'm young, and work full time and school full time.

When you're young, this is the thing to do. When you're older you still want to mod cars, but once you're older you have other responsibilities to take care of.
Old 04-28-2005 | 10:08 PM
MaximaFreak

What are your thoughts?
You are right on target and many others are in the same situation. I struggle with the right thing versus something I think I "deserve". There's a middle ground and you just shouldn't go drop $6000 on a credit card, but if you're saving 10-15% of your income every month and not touching it, you're doing better than 90% of the people I know.

Take that for what it's worth.
Old 04-28-2005 | 10:22 PM

yeah i lost interest in power adders etc...since my VG is slow as hell, i didn't bother anymore. now my focus is in audio
Old 04-29-2005 | 01:47 AM
† ErV †

Nope. I don't set goals so therefore it is impossible for me to run our of options. I do things that i feel doing, when i feel doing, the way i feel doing.

I really couldn't care what person x or x did.

I've been spreading my income in many directions and that has kept me very happy. Most of the stuff i have acquired keeps its value too so it makes sense not to pour too much into a car.
Old 04-29-2005 | 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by A33 VQ30DEK
Its not really losing the interests. Its just the lack of funds. I can say i'm lucky because i live at home, i'm young, and work full time and school full time.

When you're young, this is the thing to do. When you're older you still want to mod cars, but once you're older you have other responsibilities to take care of.

Your in the same boat as me
Old 04-29-2005 | 04:21 PM

yea also got bored with the whole modding thing. realized that the money i dumped into mods can be much better spent, ie vactions, savings, pay off max and save for something new. only thing i want to do yet is suspension but ill wait until i need struts and such and then do it then
Old 04-29-2005 | 04:31 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

the feeling comes and goes ...
Old 04-29-2005 | 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by nadir_s
the feeling comes and goes ...
Mine went...and now I'm buying a bike...it's coming back though...new headunit maybe and rims. It never stops...it just calms down.
Old 04-29-2005 | 07:24 PM
Custom User Title

I dropped a 3.5 into my 95, and sometimes I wish I would have just bought a 2k2 max.
Old 04-29-2005 | 09:00 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Only times I have gotten real discouraged or lost any interest is when I do a modification and I don't see results. Last year when I installed cattman headers and a Greddy SP catback and did not run any faster times I kind gave up on the car. $1300 for no difference in ET or trap speed, that sucked. Then the situation arose to go turbo and I have been happy so far.
Old 04-29-2005 | 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by JClaw
You're only young and stupid once in your life, better not waste it.
i kinda like that

i like modding but i HATE fixing... especially once you come off from rebuilding the motor, youre in no mood to want to fix anything else. Thats the stage im at now (plus minor accident damage so add that to the fix list) Sometimes its best to put it away for awhile and come back to it later

Quick Reply: Do you ever start to lose interest in modding your Max?