General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

For people w/ Factory Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 06:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by domofnavwithtv
Hi Everyone
How is everything?? I hope everything is fine and that I have provided you with the best customer service possible. If ANYONE has any type of problem with an install or shipping I want to know about it. Customer satisfaction is our number 1 goal. Again thanks for all your support.
Thanks Dominic of www.TVandNav2Go.com
Dom, thanks again for the help and answering my questions...

I do have a bone to pick with your instructions and the website... there's just no love for the newbies in that regard. I'm sure anybody that does this for a living can look at the instructions and figure out what's what, but they're kicking my ***, and I just installed a PC, a touchscreen and XM radio in my car.

And your website REALLY needs some better installation pictures, and maybe a link or two to the installation instructions for different cars. Maybe if/when somebody hooks it up to a Maxima you can talk to them about using the pictures, because that could really come in handy instead of a 1-page wiring diagram with no pictures.

Just my 2 cents... other than that, I'm happy.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:33 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by viguera
Dom, thanks again for the help and answering my questions...

I do have a bone to pick with your instructions and the website... there's just no love for the newbies in that regard. I'm sure anybody that does this for a living can look at the instructions and figure out what's what, but they're kicking my ***, and I just installed a PC, a touchscreen and XM radio in my car.
And your website REALLY needs some better installation pictures, and maybe a link or two to the installation instructions for different cars. Maybe if/when somebody hooks it up to a Maxima you can talk to them about using the pictures, because that could really come in handy instead of a 1-page wiring diagram with no pictures.

Just my 2 cents... other than that, I'm happy.
My car is different from the others because my navigation unit + screen + radio are all seperate units. Where as the 02-03 maximas have everything integrated in the Navigation unit, minus the radio. I am so lost on how to wire this product. Looks like when i have time, I will have to take it a Audio shop to have mine installed. I am not even going to attempt to install and screw up nothing. I wish I was in NY for a day so I can stop by Dom's shop and get it installed there.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by leeI35
My car is different from the others because my navigation unit + screen + radio are all seperate units. Where as the 02-03 maximas have everything integrated in the Navigation unit, minus the radio. I am so lost on how to wire this product. Looks like when i have time, I will have to take it a Audio shop to have mine installed. I am not even going to attempt to install and screw up nothing. I wish I was in NY for a day so I can stop by Dom's shop and get it installed there.

Yeah, I'm sure if I sit down and look really hard, I can figure out what's going on, but a) I don't wanna mess anything up and b) if it doesn't work in the end, I wouldn't even know where to start.

And I can probably take apart my car and try to make sense of the sheet, but with my friends is a whole other story. I'm just gonna get them to head down there and get it installed by Dom's people... I figure they're pros and it's their product.

It'd still be nice to have some clear installation photos though
Old 06-16-2005, 08:27 AM

Hi Everyone
Would you like to start a group buy here???? Please let me know

hey i got an idea for agroup buy...i just got the kit to put on my nav system to watch dvd and tv...but i dont have the dvd player and i would really like to have a backup camera insatlled...

dom, what can you do ?? a group buy for a dvd/tv receiver combo buy ?? or a backup camera group buy ?? or both ??

by the way...i havent installed mine but i noticed there is only input for video in the box...2 video input..one for the camera and the other one for the dvd or whATever...but ...it might be a dumb question....where do you connect the audio input from the dvd player ?? H E L P !!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:32 AM

by the way...i havent installed mine but i noticed there is only input for video in the box...2 video input..one for the camera and the other one for the dvd or whATever...but ...it might be a dumb question....where do you connect the audio input from the dvd player ?? H E L P !!
AFAIK there's no audio and you have to work that out on your own. I think they suggested using a modulator (UGH!) to get the audio from your player to the system.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:31 AM
G37S > I35 > UR Max

Originally Posted by viguera
AFAIK there's no audio and you have to work that out on your own. I think they suggested using a modulator (UGH!) to get the audio from your player to the system.
There is a FM module by Pyle that Dom does sale. I bought that along with my Nav/Tv module. Supposedly, you can connect the FM module up to the radio + source and it allows you to play your AV source audio through an unused channel on the FM Radio Frequency like 89.7 or something. I guess as long as you have nice car speakers, everything should sound good. I will get mine installed probably next weekend and if you guys haven't done yours yet, I will probably sit around at the shop and take pics on the install.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by leeI35
There is a FM module by Pyle that Dom does sale. I bought that along with my Nav/Tv module. Supposedly, you can connect the FM module up to the radio + source and it allows you to play your AV source audio through an unused channel on the FM Radio Frequency like 89.7 or something. I guess as long as you have nice car speakers, everything should sound good. I will get mine installed probably next weekend and if you guys haven't done yours yet, I will probably sit around at the shop and take pics on the install.
Yeah, that's a modulator. The quality is kinda assy, and depending on how crowded the airwaves are around the frequencies it can use, you might get bad quality audio or a station "bleeding" audio into the channel. But I guess it's better than nothing (well, almost )... and seeing how there might not be any other option, it might be all you can do.

I'd still look into a PAC adapter for the OEM head unit or something... if you have NAV the AAI-NIS is out of the question I guess, but I think they sell different ones you can use to connect an audio source to your HU. Might be worth looking into if the audio quality is not up to your standards...
Old 06-16-2005, 11:23 AM

ummm...i guess i am just going to connect cameras to my nav screen, one for backup and at least one more maybe looking towards the front...i might just get an all around cameras system and leave the dvd and tv functions to dedicated screens in the headrests and maybe in the visors or in the glasses holder since i am not going to be able to hook up audio with this kit and i know i am not going to be satisfied with the sound quality of a fm modulator while watching a movie...
Old 06-16-2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by luigi'smax
ummm...i guess i am just going to connect cameras to my nav screen, one for backup and at least one more maybe looking towards the front...i might just get an all around cameras system and leave the dvd and tv functions to dedicated screens in the headrests and maybe in the visors or in the glasses holder since i am not going to be able to hook up audio with this kit and i know i am not going to be satisfied with the sound quality of a fm modulator while watching a movie...
Well you could try it and see what it sounds like... hell, you're already getting the video hooked up, might as well plug the DVD in and see what hapens.

You should be able to use the AAI-NIS as long as you don't have SAT... just plug it into the head unit and get a couple of RCA cables to the DVD player and you're set.

If you DO have SAT, then... somebody else is gonna have to help you out.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

TV/DVD on your Nav screen

HI Everyone
Hope is well. The FM modulator sound is really NOT bad. 99% of all people that install it are happy. For the people that have the Nav/Radio in 1 unit (NO separate nav, nav unit built inside the radio) the install is not simple you have to go in the radio to mod it. If you can't do it we charge $250 to due this radio. If you feel you don't want to spend the extra money, you can send the mod back and I will credit your account. Please send it back in the same condition I sent it to you in. For the people that have a separate Nav unit the install is simple. The instructions show you a picture of the screen and Nav and which wires you have to cut. If you are not sure of something PLEASE call me and ask me at 718-763-7367. Thanks for your support.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:36 PM

HI Everyone
Hope is well. The FM modulator sound is really NOT bad. 99% of all people that install it are happy. For the people that have the Nav/Radio in 1 unit (NO separate nav, nav unit built inside the radio) the install is not simple you have to go in the radio to mod it. If you can't do it we charge $250 to due this radio. If you feel you don't want to spend the extra money, you can send the mod back and I will credit your account. Please send it back in the same condition I sent it to you in. For the people that have a separate Nav unit the install is simple. The instructions show you a picture of the screen and Nav and which wires you have to cut. If you are not sure of something PLEASE call me and ask me at 718-763-7367. Thanks for your support.
Dom,
Are you talking about the kind like the pictures I sent you (2002 Maxima).
The radio is actually a separate unit on the same rack. But the Navi and Display units ARE combined into a single unit. So are you saying that the wires that come out of this do not correspond with the diagrams you sent. Whew, I thought I was going crazy. Could not find a match at all. Do you have anything describing what to look for within the Navi unit to connect this component. I still want to go through with it but its a lot more than splicing into an existing cable like I thought. I guess you guys haven't done one of these types yet.
I'll do a writeup (with pics) if I can do it for the other 02's.

Thanks, Dom

Brad
Old 06-16-2005, 09:14 PM

Anyone with 2002 Max that ordered

How many of you with 2002 Maximas have ordered this unit to do the Navi - DVD mod? Have you recieved it yet? It appears it is not an easy clean install like the other models ( I swear we feel like red-headed stepchildren sometimes).

I'm trying to work with Dom to see if there is a DIY solution, but for those willing to pay an additional $250 it may involve sending the unit to his shop for detail internal work. See his earlier post. He's been great about looking into this.
Pm me if anyone has done this or are planning to try to DIY.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima 02

Hi Shaydz
I have a call into Nissan. They are going to fax me the wiring and I will pass it on.

Originally Posted by Shaydz
How many of you with 2002 Maximas have ordered this unit to do the Navi - DVD mod? Have you recieved it yet? It appears it is not an easy clean install like the other models ( I swear we feel like red-headed stepchildren sometimes).

I'm trying to work with Dom to see if there is a DIY solution, but for those willing to pay an additional $250 it may involve sending the unit to his shop for detail internal work. See his earlier post. He's been great about looking into this.
Pm me if anyone has done this or are planning to try to DIY.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Group Buy for Navi 2 Video Conversion Modules as low as $150

Hi Everyone
There is another group buy going on at
http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311373
if you want to get in.

THIS GROUP BUY ENDS July 15, 2005 12AM NIGHT

THE PRICE WILL BE AS FOLLOWS
1-10 $200
10-20 $175
20-30 $150

IT WORKS ON all cars except MB and BMW E60 and E63 (series 5 and 6)

OUR MODULES:

We are the original designers of these unit.
The units have 2 video inputs 1 for DVD and 1 for backup camera, auto switches to backups camera when the car is put in reverse.
Powder Coated Black Case, No engine noise with a metal case
No Moving Parts All Solid State. (No relays, video can't jump air Gap.)
Unit does RGsB, RGBS, inverted Sync and Positive sync
Not a "do it your self kit", factory made unit.
1 Year NO QUESTIONS ASKED WARRANTY.
Picture Quality and Price is the best available on the market. We will beat any price on any RGB unit
Full instructions provided.

We have been in business for over 35 years. Click here to see our store.
http://www.TvandNav2go.com

or visit us at www.TvandNav2go.com

We carry a complete line of Audio and Video equipment and specializes in seamless factory up-grades for Navigation-equipped vehicles. This upgrade allows your current Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) screen to be converted into a mobile theater system, rear camera monitor, or personal computer screen. We currently offer seamless video integration modules for Acura, BMW, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Ford, GMC, Hummer, Infinity, Jaguar, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercedes, Mini-Cooper, Nissan, Porsche, Range Rover and many more. We also offer OEM (factory) TV Tuner kits capable of local TV Reception and external A/V inputs for DVD players etc.

Old 07-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hi Shaydz
I have a call into Nissan. They are going to fax me the wiring and I will pass it on.

Hey Dom did you ever get the wiring diagram for the navi on the 2003 from Nissan.