General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Poll: Optilux fogs, which is better..picture inside.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001, 12:52 PM
tkl

I'm looking for fog light to replace my driving light. Anyone has any commend regard to these lights? My priority is to get a set of light that would lighten up the road best in bad weather. Secondly, is the look to match my 94 VE.

My pick is 1450 at this moment. You think 1100 is too small for our maxima?

Check out this link for pictures:
http://www.autob1.com/Html/Hella/Hella_HTML/optilux.htm

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2001, 01:46 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

I bought 2020 duals, 1400 driving and 1100 from JC Whitneys. I hooked them up to my Makita 12V to see the patterns and brightness... The Projector 1100 were the brightest by far, even more so than the 1400 driving lights. I put the 1100s on our 2000 Corolla... It has a razor sharp cutoff... Very happy with the $40 I spent on this foglight... I wish I just ordered these 1100s...
Old 05-16-2001, 08:56 PM
tkl

I thought of that 1100 projector fog too. It basically has the same size as the Micro DE. I wonder how it compare to micro de. Micro de costs about twice as much as 1100, do you think the de worths that much?
I'm from Ontario and i don't know where i could find micro de.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2001, 09:26 PM
tkl

I thought of that 1100 projector fog too. It basically has the same size as the Micro DE. I wonder how it compare to micro de. Micro de costs about twice as much as 1100, do you think the de worths that much?
I'm from Ontario and i don't know where i could find micro de.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2001, 10:48 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

I think for the price you can't go wrong...

They do run hot so putting 85W H3s are out of the question. But I think putting a pair of PIAA Ion Crystals would be pretty cool...

I'll try to take a digital pic of the cutoff pattern this weekend...
Old 05-22-2001, 09:44 AM
tkl

Did you take some pictures? I don't know how a tiny fog light 1100 would look on my 94 max.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2001, 10:48 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

I didn't get a chance this weekend... the car is my brothers... I'll try tonight... be patient..

Originally posted by tkl
Did you take some pictures? I don't know how a tiny fog light 1100 would look on my 94 max.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2001, 09:49 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

tkl... here you go

front of car

Optilux 1100 only

Headlights plus 1100s from inside car

keep in mind the headlights are H4s too!
Old 05-22-2001, 10:59 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

alright... put images onto another server...
Old 05-23-2001, 04:50 AM

I dont' have an opinion on the Optilux but if you want an alternative and something that really light up the road try the Raybrig Twin Spot/Fog R1000. It has combination of spot and fog in one housing and u can turn them on at the same time. I drove on a dark road the other night and boy did they light up the whole road in front of me...just for a test I turn them off and was totally shocked at how dimly lit my stock front headlights were. Anyway they are a bit pricey...regular runs at ~$200 but you can get em through www.raybrig.bigstep.com and mention group deal from maxima.org and u'll get it for $150 SHIPPED.
Old 05-23-2001, 08:18 AM
tkl

Very nice Chunger, thanks. Very clear cut off as you said.

Endure: I'll check out those spot/fog light. You have any picture of them?

Thanks guys.
Old 05-23-2001, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by tkl

Endure: I'll check out those spot/fog light. You have any picture of them?
For picture of the light assembly itself go to http://www.raybrigusa.com/html/r_series.html#r1000-twin

I do not have any pictures of it either on my car or the beam pattern. I could however give u a comparision. That night I drove next to a newer BMW with HID and was surprised at how both the color temperature(whiteness) and intensity of my lights were the same compared to his. THe only difference is beam pattern. HIDs have this very sharp and distinct horizontal line cut off that you can certainly see when it's behind another car. Mine didn't have this distinct cutoff line. I would venture to say that the BMW's HID probably is a bit higher in brightness in the medium range due to the sharp cutoff but with the R1000 I could see a house way down the road outside of conventional headlight's range. Nevetherless I was totally surprised at how close, both in looks and performance, mine is when compared to a ~$500+ HID system.

Seriously I was gonna go with the Micro DE fogs cause I love the round look but if I was gonna shell out that much money I wanted to actually see as much of the road as possible and the R1000 gave me both fogs for bad weather and spots for long range visibility.

The picture in my sig bellow has been photoshoped with Micro DE fogs prior to purchasing the R1000...if u wanted to know what it'll look like on the max.
Old 05-23-2001, 10:49 AM
tkl

Hi Enduro, i'd done some searching on the net and they look pretty dun good. However, i came aross a guy having problem installing it.
How long did it take you to install the light? You think i have problem installing it in my 94 maxima?

Oh well here are some questions i have for you;

What's the different between white spot/blue fog and white spot/white fog?
- I found out that they say metal white/metal blue on the first and platium white/platium white for the second. I would assume they mean they paint the reflector blue, in this case i would say white/white is a better choice. Since yellow suppose to cut through fog better, white comes second then there's blue=bad visibility=for looks only.

What type of light bulb do they use? It says 12v/55W x 2. Does this mean when either one is on, it draws 55W, when both of them are on, they draw 110W? Would this melt the stock harness?

Does it come with remote?

It's great to know these spot light let you see further down the road, would it blind the drivers infront of us? I hate it when someone blinded me either from behind or from the front.

I hope it doesn't attract cop to pull you over.
The price does seem expensive compare to others fog light from Walmart. But it's not bad compare to other quality fog lights like piaa. It's 155 shipped vs. 130 + shipping for the micro de.
I wonder if they ship to Ontario Canada.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2001, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by tkl
Hi Enduro, i'd done some searching on the net and they look pretty dun good. However, i came aross a guy having problem installing it.
How long did it take you to install the light? You think i have problem installing it in my 94 maxima?

Oh well here are some questions i have for you;

What's the different between white spot/blue fog and white spot/white fog?
- I found out that they say metal white/metal blue on the first and platium white/platium white for the second. I would assume they mean they paint the reflector blue, in this case i would say white/white is a better choice. Since yellow suppose to cut through fog better, white comes second then there's blue=bad visibility=for looks only.

What type of light bulb do they use? It says 12v/55W x 2. Does this mean when either one is on, it draws 55W, when both of them are on, they draw 110W? Would this melt the stock harness?

Does it come with remote?

It's great to know these spot light let you see further down the road, would it blind the drivers infront of us? I hate it when someone blinded me either from behind or from the front.

I hope it doesn't attract cop to pull you over.
The price does seem expensive compare to others fog light from Walmart. But it's not bad compare to other quality fog lights like piaa. It's 155 shipped vs. 130 + shipping for the micro de.
I wonder if they ship to Ontario Canada.

Thanks.
I'd recommend the white/white and not anything with blue. The white beam being achieved on the white/white model is done by slighty tinting blue the glass housing of the light assembly. So any more blue than that and u'll get worse seeing condition especially in foul weather. I suspect the white/blue uses white bulb for one and blue tinted bulb for the other but uses the same blue tinted glass housing as the white/white model.

There is a caveat to all of this. The only instruction that came with it is in japanese. No I do not know how to read the texts but the wiring diagram provided enough information. Very typical of normal auxilary lights wiring. I mounted it to the already drilled holes in the stock fog housing of my 99 max and had to fabricate additional mounting hardware. I could've drilled different holes into the bumper to eliminate the additional mounting bracket but didn't want any permanent holes on my car

No the lights do not come with remote...at least not the set i bought for $155. So you'd have to run wires through your firewall just like any typical auxilary lights setups.

I believe each bulb is 55w so that mean you'd be drawing 110w for spots to be on, and 220w for both spots/fogs to be on. Yup that's a total of 220w for all 4 bulbs and guess where all of that power is going?...into welcoming useable light for you to see Nope no harness melting so far since u're not using any of the car's stock harness and their provided harness seems strong enough...something like 12 guage in thickness. And to provide extra protection from all of that power hungry lights it comes with a 30amp fuse.

I haven't had any problems with cops so far and no one has complain to me about it blinding them. Remember that supposedly spot lights are not legal on the street. This is because to be able to see further you cannot aim/angle your lights too low and anything that shines further than a conventional low beam is illegal for street use. For example high beam is also great for seeing further but you can't drive with it on all the time or your friendly police man may have a chat with you So in short if your spot lights are aim correctly it shouldn't be as annoyingly blind as the normal high beam and cops wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and regular fogs.

If you decide to go with it but unsure about the japanese direction I can help you with it through private messages/emails.