General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anybody tint their windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2001, 12:11 AM

...before I get flamed, hear me out on this one. I'm considering getting my windshield tinted a very light tint, primarily to reject UV rays that cause the dash to go crack, and what causes the air to get hot as *****. Also, to tint out the car even more. I've seen a honda accord coupe in FL that looked like it had 35% on the windshield. Anybody ever tint their windshield?
Old 05-18-2001, 12:13 AM

I had 5% tint on all the sides and 35% tint on the windshield, it was really cool in the car but I had to take it off after I got heavily fined numerous times by cops.
Originally posted by ericdwong
...before I get flamed, hear me out on this one. I'm considering getting my windshield tinted a very light tint, primarily to reject UV rays that cause the dash to go crack, and what causes the air to get hot as *****. Also, to tint out the car even more. I've seen a honda accord coupe in FL that looked like it had 35% on the windshield. Anybody ever tint their windshield?
Old 05-18-2001, 07:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you are going to tint your windshield, do a lighter tint on the bottom and then a 5% brow... then it gives the appearance of stock from far away and the cops won't bug you as much.
Old 05-19-2001, 01:11 PM

I had my windshield tinted >

I had my windshield done to keep out UV.
I used 3M Scotchtint Neutral-70 (RE70NEARL). Its pretty much invisible. But makes a big difference in terms of heat reduction. I've never been hasseled about it even when going thou road checks and speed traps.

Other choices you could use for windshield are:

Scotchtint Exceptional Clarity
RE65NIARL lightest Nickel (virtually invisible, medium heat rejection)
RE50NIARL light Nickel (nearly invisible, high heat rejection)
Old 05-19-2001, 01:39 PM

Idon't see why couldn't do that I live in FL and I've seen people with tint dark enough to be on they're back windows have it on they windshields.
Old 05-19-2001, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Ants97SE
If you are going to tint your windshield, do a lighter tint on the bottom and then a 5% brow... then it gives the appearance of stock from far away and the cops won't bug you as much.
That is the setup I have, I have 5% all around, and then 35% on the windshield and a 5% brow. I love it because it is so dark, knock on wood I don't get hassled by cops.
Old 05-19-2001, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97

That is the setup I have, I have 5% all around, and then 35% on the windshield and a 5% brow. I love it because it is so dark, knock on wood I don't get hassled by cops.
can you see at night, sheesh
Old 05-19-2001, 05:32 PM

damn...i'd like to tint my windshield but umm...they can tow away our car in cali if the cop really wanted to so no...yea...go with the really light tint...my friend did it on his contour
Old 05-20-2001, 12:04 AM

how do the registration stickers go on with the tint?? you just stick it over the tint?
Old 05-20-2001, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by gtr_rider

can you see at night, sheesh
Yea I can see fine, you really get used to it after a while, I have had two other cars with 5% my 92 Max on them, well one with 2 1/2% my 96 Max, never had the windshield tinted on one till this one, I like it alot, I had my windows down and passed someone I knew and they said that they couldn't see in!
Old 05-20-2001, 11:48 AM

It is possible to get front windshild tinted for medical reasons. Convince your doctor that sunlight makes it hard for you to see, and sunglasses don't work too well for you. If he lets you, you could get your windshiled slightly tinted. But you'd have to carry a doctors note in your car with you at all times.
Old 05-20-2001, 12:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't think cops will harass you just for the dark tint. However, if you get pulled over for other things like speeding, then they'll be all over you for the tint. I'm thinking of tinting my windshield too. Not too dark though, maybe 50%.
Old 05-20-2001, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
I don't think cops will harass you just for the dark tint. However, if you get pulled over for other things like speeding, then they'll be all over you for the tint. I'm thinking of tinting my windshield too. Not too dark though, maybe 50%.
umm...wrong...heh...where i live...they will pull u over for anything from the light not working that shines on ur license plate in the back to clear corners
Old 05-21-2001, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by 98BlaximaSE
It is possible to get front windshild tinted for medical reasons. Convince your doctor that sunlight makes it hard for you to see, and sunglasses don't work too well for you. If he lets you, you could get your windshiled slightly tinted. But you'd have to carry a doctors note in your car with you at all times.
You can have front-side window tint with a doctors note, but it has to be removeable. I don't think it's legal anywhere to have front window tint.
Old 05-21-2001, 06:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by JoesMAX
how do the registration stickers go on with the tint?? you just stick it over the tint?
Normally, you have to leave an area free of tint, so the registration stickers can go on, but when the stickers get changed after your car is inspected each year, the inspection shop may damage the tint. The stickers also may not fit perfectly into the designated space you left for em, so light will come in around the edges, making it very obvious that the windshield is tinted, especially to cops. You'll probably end up having to get the windshield tinted each year, if you want it to look right. You can't just put the new stickers over the original ones, cuz you won't be able to see them from outside the car. Also, if you place the stickers directly over the tint, and don't leave holes for em, it'll rip the tint when they remove the stickers to put on new ones. My tint guy has to tint his windshield each time he gets the car inspected, to make it look right. Also, some shops won't pass your car if they notice the tint on the windshield. Peace.
Old 05-22-2001, 07:52 AM

Fortunately for me, I live in MD, where we do not have inspection or registration stickers that need to be displayed on the outside of the vehicle. I'm gonna look into this some more. This should hopefully keep my car cooler and save the dash and vinyl.

Originally posted by Pillager6

Normally, you have to leave an area free of tint, so the registration stickers can go on, but when the stickers get changed after your car is inspected each year, the inspection shop may damage the tint. The stickers also may not fit perfectly into the designated space you left for em, so light will come in around the edges, making it very obvious that the windshield is tinted, especially to cops. You'll probably end up having to get the windshield tinted each year, if you want it to look right. You can't just put the new stickers over the original ones, cuz you won't be able to see them from outside the car. Also, if you place the stickers directly over the tint, and don't leave holes for em, it'll rip the tint when they remove the stickers to put on new ones. My tint guy has to tint his windshield each time he gets the car inspected, to make it look right. Also, some shops won't pass your car if they notice the tint on the windshield. Peace.