General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Sneak Preview From August Car and Driver.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 11:20 AM
Honda Convert!

Sneak Preview From August Car and Driver.

Quote"
What it is: Next iteration of Nissan's Super-sports car, the twin turbo, all-wheel drive, Skyline GT-R, to date never sold in the U.S. Price and Performance will demand an Infiniti badge in the U.s. The spy photo shows a tweaked G35 Coupe body, but expect to see racier body work on the GT-R

Based on: Modified version of Nissans FM-Platform , which underpins the Infinity M45 and Nissan 350z, among others.

Powertrain: Twin-turbocharged 450hp, 3.5-liter V-6. Six-Speed Manual. Nissan's ATTESA E-TS AWD.

Estimated arrival and cost: Late 2007 or early 2008, $70,000" - Car And Driver Aug 2005

So folks there it is, the most amazing car in the world is coming our way, and I am excited. Sorry I couldnt find the picture but if you go to your local news stands or coffe tables and look in Aug 2005 Issue on page 89. Im going to Infinity to put down my deposit now. Ok just kiding but this looks great for nissan.

Bruce
Old 07-15-2005, 11:38 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Damn, what can I sell???

Old 07-15-2005, 11:44 AM

Couple more...

Old 07-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by papasmurf
So folks there it is, the most amazing car in the world is coming our way,
the Skyline is nice, but far from being close to "the most amazing". sometimes I even feel it is EXTREMELY over hyped.

anyways, it will be interesting to see how the new model competes though, TT V6 will be interesting. the AWD will be the serious kicker though
Old 07-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Honda Convert!

nice pic, Im glad you found one, but the one they had just looked like a hooked up g35. But yeah Im going to start selling crack to buy this thing, cause god its nice, I mean 450 from the factory, imagine the possibilities with some aftermarket support. We could be looking at a 800-1000hp vq, so for all those into big hp #'s here is the chance, but at $70,000 Im not quite sure how many people here can afford that. Well ok you could take out a home equity loan but other than that this is a high price tag.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

apparently that G35 in the pic is a test mule for the new drivetrain

but the one they had just looked like a hooked up g35.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Honda Convert!

Originally Posted by DA-MAX
the Skyline is nice, but far from being close to "the most amazing". sometimes I even feel it is EXTREMELY over hyped.

anyways, it will be interesting to see how the new model competes though, TT V6 will be interesting. the AWD will be the serious kicker though
Yeah well some think its overrated, but if you have driven one or rode in one you have no idea, I have been in 1000hp supras but nothing compares to the 650hp skyline I rode in in FL. I mean the power delivery is so smooth and damn does it handle too. I love those things, his was a 95 GT-r R33 and he is helping me import one to the states. But these things are nasty. You just have to experience it your self.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Honda Convert!

Yeah I had a feeling it was something like that, but thanks for the info.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if it resembles anything like a G35/350z/blah it would be a bad move on nissan's part

I honestly don't think they can top the R34 design
Old 07-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Honda Convert!

Originally Posted by MrGone
if it resembles anything like a G35/350z/blah it would be a bad move on nissan's part

Your right, but because of forward thinking and design, they wont go back to a design like that so because we suck here and Nissan US doesnt love us we get this version instead but hey its a start right.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:02 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Yeah well some think its overrated, but if you have driven one or rode in one you have no idea, I have been in 1000hp supras but nothing compares to the 650hp skyline I rode in in FL. I mean the power delivery is so smooth and damn does it handle too. I love those things, his was a 95 GT-r R33 and he is helping me import one to the states. But these things are nasty. You just have to experience it your self.
I've ridden in 2 and don't get me wrong, they are impressive and built to perform, but there are many more "supercars" out there with equal and if not more potential. the Skyline is a great car, but sometimes it gets more credit than it deserves. many times the simple fact that it is rare and only available in Japan outshines the actual performance of some of them.

and I seriously doubt it will look like that pic, the added ground effects don't look like they are anything permanent so who knows Nissan might go crazy and go all out on the body design.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:10 PM

Thank goodness most will not be able to afford it, some suck just driving a MAX...
Old 07-15-2005, 12:18 PM

Your right, but because of forward thinking and design, they wont go back to a design like that so because we suck here and Nissan US doesnt love us we get this version instead but hey its a start right.
I meant more in the sense it will take away from the prestige that comes with being a Skyline. It will look like 2 sub 40k cars.

not to mention to me, while the 350z and G35 look nice, I'm not about to kill someone to get one. R34 on the otherhand, it looks amazing.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Honda Convert!

I meant more in the sense it will take away from the prestige that comes with being a Skyline. It will look like 2 sub 40k cars.

not to mention to me, while the 350z and G35 look nice, I'm not about to kill someone to get one. R34 on the otherhand, it looks amazing.
Yeah I see your point and do agree. I just love the car and what can I say I am only dropping 5800 on a 95 GT-R and then about 3500 to get it over here, so even though I love this new setup, I am sticking with the old kind.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Honda Convert!

I've ridden in 2 and don't get me wrong, they are impressive and built to perform, but there are many more "supercars" out there with equal and if not more potential. the Skyline is a great car, but sometimes it gets more credit than it deserves. many times the simple fact that it is rare and only available in Japan outshines the actual performance of some of them.

and I seriously doubt it will look like that pic, the added ground effects don't look like they are anything permanent so who knows Nissan might go crazy and go all out on the body design.
Now I see your point but I just love the car, and yeah there are some great supercars out there but not for 40k brand new and ones for less than 10k + shipping and import costs.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:29 PM
vsamoylov

too much money. nobody will buy them and then nissan will lower the price down to try to sell more of them.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
too much money. nobody will buy them and then nissan will lower the price down to try to sell more of them.
well is sort of a Catch 22....while the car will probably perform and be built well worthy to compete in the $60k+ sports car range, Nissan needs to consider the fan base of the "Skyline" name is also majority 20 and 30 year olds(not counting out the older admirers ) with no chance of getting a $70k car.

while I don't see the price dropping too much more, it will be interesting to see how and who the car is marketed to and the actual production numbers. IMO, my guess is the price will stick, there will be "limited" production every year and the dreamers will have to settle for a G35/350 with a TT kit and some imagination.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:10 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

THANK YOU.

The R32 was quite literally their crush-all race car -- the car that prompted the creation of the JGTC cuz no one wanted to race it any more -- forklifted onto the road with street interior, tires, springs, shocks, turbos, and ECU programming. The R33 and R34 were updates, but ultimately the same thing (although much heavier and more prone to understeer). The new one, it seems, will basically be a road car stuffed with performance adders. It'll make the numbers, and I'm sure it'll be fun, but I'm sorry.... there's just no contest.

And the look? Gah... I never thought G35s were pretty, but putting the GT-R name on something shaped like that is a crime.

I don't care what numbers Nissan throws at us... They might call it a GT-R, but that thing you see in the pics is an impostor.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:12 PM

well is sort of a Catch 22....while the car will probably perform and be built well worthy to compete in the $60k+ sports car range, Nissan needs to consider the fan base of the "Skyline" name is also majority 20 and 30 year olds(not counting out the older admirers ) with no chance of getting a $70k car.
Good point.

They still should never have broken away from the principles of old GT-Rs.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:42 PM
Honda Convert!

Well you are right the GT-r we know and this thing they are passing oiff is not the same but hey at least they are putting in some kind of effort for us. You have to look at it with the glass is half full mentality.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:50 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by chernmax
Thank goodness most will not be able to afford it, some suck just driving a MAX...
I will buy one and still keep my Baby.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Honda Convert!

Yeah I will wait till I can buy one used and cheap. Im a cheap bastard anyway. I know I will probably never get one but hey isnt it fun to talk like you will
Old 07-15-2005, 02:05 PM

I wouldn't mind driving one, I mean....if I had too lol
Old 07-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Well you are right the GT-r we know and this thing they are passing oiff is not the same but hey at least they are putting in some kind of effort for us. You have to look at it with the glass is half full mentality.
yup, I think thats the most important factor right there....Nissan seems to be heading in the right direction as far as maintaining a great line of diverse performance geared vehicles as always(unlike some US companies...*cough*GM*cough*).
Old 07-15-2005, 10:42 PM

will the GTR we get be similar to the GTR in japan?
Old 07-15-2005, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by aznsap
will the GTR we get be similar to the GTR in japan?
I highly doubt it, just because thats how it has always been....I'm positive they will have a better one(even if the difference is smalll, it will be there I bet)
Old 07-15-2005, 11:06 PM
DONE

i wish they would offer it in a 4 door like they do in japan. one of my dream cars is a R32(favorite body style) sedan. it looks bad ***. and if i ever got one i would be close to heaven
Old 07-15-2005, 11:13 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

well in cali everyone willl be able to afford it because all i see in certain areas like La Jolla, Coronado, Del Mar, Rancho Penisquitos, Poway, are BMW M3, 850,745li,BENZO s55, CLK's, s500 roadsters, SL 600, i even saw a maybac so ppl will be able to afford them here with no problem its just if they know about what it is to get it but all those old grandpas will buy it to show off and drive like 55 othe freeway slowingdown traffic for all of those ppl wuth less hp that want to go fast.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Newbie just Registered

while I don't see the price dropping too much more, it will be interesting to see how and who the car is marketed to and the actual production numbers. IMO, my guess is the price will stick, there will be "limited" production every year and the dreamers will have to settle for a G35/350 with a TT kit and some imagination.
I think the new GT-R will be in the same price range as the M3, RS4, and CLK55. M3 will get the 400+hp v8, RS4 already has the v8 and may get twin turbo, and the CLK55 may get the supercharger to keep up. The prices for these cars now are in the $50k's, $60k+ would be in the ball park with new specs. ToyoLex might get in to the mix too with the new IS, since the SC has gone the way of the SL500, and XK Jaguar.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:42 PM

in the end, if it out performs the r34 gt-r then nissan has a winner... hopefully.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
well in cali everyone willl be able to afford it because all i see in certain areas like La Jolla, Coronado, Del Mar, Rancho Penisquitos, Poway, are BMW M3, 850,745li,BENZO s55, CLK's, s500 roadsters, SL 600, i even saw a maybac so ppl will be able to afford them here with no problem its just if they know about what it is to get it but all those old grandpas will buy it to show off and drive like 55 othe freeway slowingdown traffic for all of those ppl wuth less hp that want to go fast.
So what your saying is; with all those rich cars, in all those rich areas, the only thing missing is YOU...

I guess on the east coast we will just have to keep looking at pictures of those hot cars...
Old 07-16-2005, 12:19 AM

And i still prefer the R-34 more than this new one. Sure the G35 is technically the "Skyline" but i wish they would've just kept the R-34 style and just improved a lil bit. that would be much better!
Old 07-16-2005, 01:13 AM

jeez, i thought a 3.0 twin turbo would have been enough, but i guess not. i hope the new gtr isn't heavy.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:37 AM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=Big_E-Dog] its just if they know about what it is to get it but all those old grandpas will buy it to show off and drive like 55 othe freeway slowingdown traffic for all of those ppl wuth less hp that want to go fast.[/QUOTE]

Grandpa's, I am 58, a grandpa of 12 and I rip up the roads with my Max. Also here in Brooklyn, NY we have a lot of ppl with with high priced rides. There are a lot of showoffs no matter the age. Later Warren

Old 07-16-2005, 04:47 AM
Im izz sexay

[QUOTE=ramberg]
Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
its just if they know about what it is to get it but all those old grandpas will buy it to show off and drive like 55 othe freeway slowingdown traffic for all of those ppl wuth less hp that want to go fast.[/QUOTE]

Grandpa's, I am 58, a grandpa of 12 and I rip up the roads with my Max. Also here in Brooklyn, NY we have a lot of ppl with with high priced rides. There are a lot of showoffs no matter the age. Later Warren

Basically age doesn't make a difference as Warren shows his car off and most people are afraid of what 400+ hp can do.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:53 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by VG Ridah
Basically age doesn't make a difference as Warren shows his car off and most people are afraid of what 400+ hp can do.

I am just showing what a old man can do with his car and not be afraid to step on the gas pedal. If they are a afraid of a high hp ride don't buy it.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:57 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by VG Ridah

I checked your cardomain site and you have a nice looking ride.
Old 07-16-2005, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by ramberg
I will buy one and still keep my Baby.

[IMG][/IMG]

Damn. You can hoos up a Japanese car with some skill.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:09 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by pikers
Damn. You can hoos up a Japanese car with some skill.

Thanks, you can check my site at www.cardomain.com/id/ramberg to see what I have done. Later Warren
Old 07-16-2005, 08:42 AM

Time to set some things straight...

Originally Posted by John654
I'm positive [Japan] will have a better one(even if the difference is smalll, it will be there I bet)
The difference will likely be tiny if there's any at all. The reason Japan always had better cars was that their safety and emissions regulations were always more lax than they were here, so their cars were lighter and could be made more powerful more easily. That's changing now. There was also a lot more cool people who actually liked good cars -- that's not changing, but we do have more enthusiasts than we used to, and more jacka$$es who just want a fast car that's pimp as ****, yo. And keep in mind, we didn't always get the worse car -- The STI is actually more powerful here (2.4L turbo flat-4) than it is there (2.0L turbo flat-4), and there's a gentlemen's agreement in Japan that kept JDM cars restricted to about 280hp (although that wasn't always adhered to). I think the GT-R we get will be almost exactly the same: The gentlemen's agreement is going down the tubes (Honda first), and Nissan needs the car in America enough that they're going to want to minimize costs as much as possible by making both cars as close to identical as possible.

Originally Posted by RHMax
I think the new GT-R will be in the same price range as the M3, RS4, and CLK55. M3 will get the 400+hp v8, RS4 already has the v8 and may get twin turbo, and the CLK55 may get the supercharger to keep up. The prices for these cars now are in the $50k's, $60k+ would be in the ball park with new specs. ToyoLex might get in to the mix too with the new IS, since the SC has gone the way of the SL500, and XK Jaguar.
The M3 actually starts in the mid-to-high $40k range; all the rest start $10k-$15k higher. Also, the RS4 isn't turbo... it's a high-revving (8250rpm) version of the NA 4.2L V8 that makes 418 bhp. Lexus is apparently producing an IS430, so they'll be getting in on that as well. And don't forget the Caddy CTS-V. It really seems, though, that the new GT-R was designed just to top those cars. Which kills me... but whatever, I've ranted enough in this thread.

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
in the end, if it out performs the r34 gt-r then nissan has a winner... hopefully.
They'll have destroyed the GT-R name to do it, but they'll get sales, that's for sure. But never forget.... Were the R33 and R34 "better" than the R32? Most would say yes. Thing is, they were heavier and more gadget-laden, and had bigger wheels -- and that means they understeered and tramlined, and weren't as much fun for many people. They were also slower from 0-60 mph than the R32. Better in performance and better on paper doesn't mean it's a better car.

GT-Rs aren't about being better on paper. They're about being better cars. And until I see reviewers and hardcore R3x enthusiasts come back and say that it is a better car, and not just better on paper like it seems, I'm gonna be ranting and raving until the cows come home.

Quick Reply: Sneak Preview From August Car and Driver.