General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Sneak Preview From August Car and Driver.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 08:48 AM
The original VQ...

I love how nissan is always ahead .....

I hope its comp for the 05 vettes,
Old 07-16-2005, 09:21 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
I hope its comp for the 05 vettes,
Wow.

.....Just wow.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:20 AM
vsamoylov

well there is the article about the new m3 on the page before this one and hands down i would rather pay $50k for a m3 then pay $70 like they say the gt-r will cost. call me crazy but for me the bmw is a better buy if i could ever afford it.lol. but $70k for a g35c with upgraded parts is way too much.

Old 07-16-2005, 11:51 AM
brotherhood of tq

70k for a car that is more or less a 350/g35? thats alot of money for real car nuts to toss on a car when u could just tt a z/g car and maybe hand this new supposed gtr its azz. if i had some cash i would get a r34, i think thats what a skyline is supposed to be like and not this watered down supercar they plan to sell.

and doodfood is right about a car being good on paper and not being as good on the street. this car is going to wiegh tin at least 3500-3800lbs and i havent seen one pic that i like of it. this car would share a platform, motor, and probally many other things with so many other nissan products and that takes away from it being as special as it should be.

i would rather spend 70k on a c6 z06 and murder this upcoming tt fm car
Old 07-16-2005, 12:06 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

$70k for a 450hp G35? no thanks....hell, I dont even want the G35 at its current price. Ill take an R32, 33, 34 over this thing any day.

Is there any information out about the engine itself? Compression, internals, ect? The older skylines had the rb26dett "godzilla" motor. Is there anything special about the motor that comes in this g35 aside fomr the turbos? Or is it just another vq35 slightly tweaked to handle the turbos?
Old 07-16-2005, 12:14 PM

I have a feeling this GT-R will be just as much a G35c as the M3 is a 330Ci -- essentially the same, but different enough that they're very different cars. Either way, I think we're all agreed here -- $70k is a bit much.

@ liquidvenom: $70k is infinitely better spent on another car, like an R34. Yet again... something that should not have been allowed to happen to a GT-R.

Hell, for that money you could import an R32 GT-R and start modding... I shiver at the thought of what you could accomplish with that....
Old 07-16-2005, 12:19 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Yet again... something that should not have been allowed to happen to a GT-R.

Hell, for that money you could import an R32 GT-R and start modding... I shiver at the thought of what you could accomplish with that....
Thats exactly how I feel.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:04 PM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

Originally Posted by xlcrew
i wish they would offer it in a 4 door like they do in japan. one of my dream cars is a R32(favorite body style) sedan. it looks bad ***. and if i ever got one i would be close to heaven

Ive always been a huge fan of fast 4 door sedans.... As cool as the older skyline is, My dream would be this car we had at our dealership the other day...... Supercharged 2003 M5, The first one in the states to be exact... now that is a car i would do anything for
Old 07-16-2005, 07:33 PM
brotherhood of tq

hey doodfood i could take that 70k either get a c6z06 or maybe a viper or a ford gt. those are cars that should be in that type of price range. i could never see a modified g coupe ever matchin any of these cars in anything but straight line performance.

people dont even buy the g at its current 30-35k price range. and i also here this car is going to be called an infiniti also....i guess thats just to justify the huge price.

i am really confused here about what gives it that price range. i think the most expensive vq35 is the g35sedan with awd and that shouldnt pass 38k so a tt setup on top of that and suspension it runs the price up to nearly double? whats so different about it.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
hey doodfood i could take that 70k either get a c6z06 or maybe a viper or a ford gt. those are cars that should be in that type of price range. i could never see a modified g coupe ever matchin any of these cars in anything but straight line performance.
Oh I know, that's what I meant -- i.e. that you're right, $70k for this new GT-R isn't worth it, and another car would be better for that price. Sorry it wasn't clear.

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
i am really confused here about what gives it that price range. i think the most expensive vq35 is the g35sedan with awd and that shouldnt pass 38k so a tt setup on top of that and suspension it runs the price up to nearly double? whats so different about it.
This car is going to be much, much more than an overpriced G35c with twin turbos and AWD. Whatever us bullheaded enthusiasts might think, Nissan isn't not foolish enough to put out a car that could easily be matched by souping up one of their lower-end cars.

Probably the biggest thing is the ATESSA E-TS system, which is.... not the same as the AWD you see in most cars. It's a really really good system that gives you true RWD handling characteristics until you need traction at the front, and it does it better than really any other AWD system out there. The transmission will probably have to be new as well. Besides those, there's likely to be a ton of racing and Nismo parts in it, although it's hard to say exactly what. Expect a much stiffer chassis, much better suspension, and of course killer brakes and engine components. There's also been a trend with later GT-Rs that they got progressively more technological (yet somehow it was always helpful and never intrusive), so you can expect some really really crazy electronic stability, traction, and braking control systems.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:27 AM
brotherhood of tq

ohh i know the car is going to be bad azz i just wished it didnt look like any other produced nissan/infiniti. but im sure once it comes out we r all gonna be wanting one
Old 07-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Numerous reports have come out stating that the production model GT-R will look nothing like the current G35 or R34. The only styling Q they plan on keeping apparently is the circular taillights. So expect a radical design from the boys overseas.

And for those who say the Skyline is not that great. ..you'll are crazy . Next to the Toyota Supra what other car has the potential to hit 1000hp #'s. It was built to race, run, and I seen them drift. Supercar...YES without the "supercar" pricetag. The cost of an Enzo or S7 about $500,000. buy a 2007 GT-R put $20,000 into it (if youu have that kind of money) and you have a Ferrari killer.

This is just my opinion and what i think about things. Either way we're glad to see the "Skyline" coming state side
Old 07-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by venommaxr33
Numerous reports have come out stating that the production model GT-R will look nothing like the current G35 or R34. The only styling Q they plan on keeping apparently is the circular taillights. So expect a radical design from the boys overseas.

And for those who say the Skyline is not that great. ..you'll are crazy . Next to the Toyota Supra what other car has the potential to hit 1000hp #'s. It was built to race, run, and I seen them drift. Supercar...YES without the "supercar" pricetag. The cost of an Enzo or S7 about $500,000. buy a 2007 GT-R put $20,000 into it (if youu have that kind of money) and you have a Ferrari killer.

This is just my opinion and what i think about things. Either way we're glad to see the "Skyline" coming state side
This thing would look badass when ppl see it in their rearview....for $70 the car needs to look radical and different....this looks liek a very modern interpretation on the R34, loosely styled after the original...but making it look like a G35 in any way shape or form will spell disaster.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:23 AM

Thanks for pointing that out. Apparently many people still don't realize that the car we've seen pics of (e.g. near the beginning of the thread) is a test mule.

Agreed, fully. No one ever said the Skylines or GT-Rs in general were not that great. The griping was about the new GT-R not being very special. We know it's gonna rock, but we don't know if it's gonna have the same soul.

Most of it comes down to this:

The previous Skylines all had race-bred engines -- in "RB26DETT", RB stands for Race Breed -- which were then adapted, with as little modification as possible, to be used in road cars. They were inline-six engines with individual throttle butterflies, which made them super responsive and sweet-running with a great top end, but they also loved turbos so they had tons of power and excellent delivery as well. They used those engines cuz they were awesome engines, period.

This new engine is gonna be a V6, which is always a compromise engine. They're using it because it takes fairly little space for how much power you can get out of it. That's the kind of compromise that is just silly and, IMO, has no place in a GT-R.

Think of the the great engines in history -- the RB series, BMW's smaller engines, Mercedes's 7.3L crate engine, TVR's entire current lineup, etc. They're all inline-6s, V8s, or V12s. Besides the VQ, do you see any V6s? Doesn't look like it. And there's a reason. Those other kinds of engines have characteristics that a V6 just can't touch. Even when VW needed a compact 6-cylinder, they made the VR6 configuration so it'd be as much like an inline-6 as possible while still being compact.

I'm sure the new V6 is gonna be great, and it will have advantages (mounted farther back in the chassis for better weight distribution, etc.). But it's still a compromise. Instead of starting with a racing engine and making it a road engine, they're taking a road engine, making it fit for racing, and then putting it back on the road. Boo to that.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I found another possible model of what the GT-R could look like, and a little more feasable

"Nurburgering Track tests of the twin-turbo 450-horsepower, 3.5-liter V-6 GT-R under the Skyline (Infiniti G35) body shell indicate a production version could be ready to make a November Tokyo Motor Show debut. This mule's G35 sheetmetal has been modified to fit huge tires and has been fitted with a big front air dam. The new GT-R will have intelligent all-wheel drive, allowing torque splits ranging fron 100 percent to the rear wheels to a 50/50 front/rear. Nissan hasn't decided whether the GT-R will be sold in the U.S. as a Nissan or an Infiniti, but plans to Americanize the car with softer suspension and a 4.5-liter V-8 have been quashed, although Infiniti could get softer 3.5-liter V-6 and 4.5-liter V-8 versions if the full-house GT-R goes to Nissan dealers. Pricetag will be in the $70,000 ballpark."
Old 07-17-2005, 08:58 PM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

you know it might be just me but I swear that its spelled nurburgring..... isnt it?
Old 07-17-2005, 09:54 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Its spelled Nurburgring.
RB does not stand for "race breed".
and putting a 4.5L V8 will just make this car even more of a disgrace to the GT-R line.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:58 AM

^^ THAT is a MUCH better pic. It's really radical and G35-like, but it's got good stying queues from previous GT-Rs (hood line, rear fender flares).

I still think the V6 thing is a sham, but as long as Nissan does it right I'll let bygones be bygones.

What would be really funny would be if the thing still isn't as quick from 0-60 as the R32 GT-R, which Nissan hasn't managed since then (besides factory limited editions).
Old 07-18-2005, 08:48 AM

After reading this entire thread, I was waiting for someone to comment on the V6 configuration. I love my VQ, and I'm sure most if not all people on this forum driving a VQ does, but I can't see a GT-R using anything but their "race bred" inline 6's. For those who have heard them, they are music to the ears, and are incredibly smooth. I realize that it will never happen (going back to the I6) after all of this testing, and I'm sure that the vq will perform, but it just won't have the same "soul" as someone quoted previously.

Either way, a skyline in the states, IS a skyline in the states, and we WILL still have great dreams about maybe one day owning one of these machines.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:58 AM
vsamoylov

but will it be called a skyline here in the states? i doubt that.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:05 AM
Honda Convert!

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
After reading this entire thread, I was waiting for someone to comment on the V6 configuration. I love my VQ, and I'm sure most if not all people on this forum driving a VQ does, but I can't see a GT-R using anything but their "race bred" inline 6's. For those who have heard them, they are music to the ears, and are incredibly smooth. I realize that it will never happen (going back to the I6) after all of this testing, and I'm sure that the vq will perform, but it just won't have the same "soul" as someone quoted previously.

Either way, a skyline in the states, IS a skyline in the states, and we WILL still have great dreams about maybe one day owning one of these machines.
Well as far as the Inline 6 is concerned, its just outdated and Nissan has stopped all production on I6's and they are sticking with the VQ cause its cheap and they also have a lot of development time into that engine. And to be honest with you the VQ can make quite a bit of power and if Nissan is putting effort into the engine, then the car will be just fine. You have to look at people like Top Secret who built a 800+ hp VQ engine and then st5uck it in a supra. So if that doesnt tell you something I dont know what does, now yes they also put a SR-20DET in a 350z but that was because it was for drifting and for that application the HP to weight ratio was what they were looking for and it also had better power delivery for drifting. So you can say what you want about the VQ but I think it will do just fine as the base for a GT-R. I think the real issue here is not the Engine and tranny, but the exterior and how its looking more like a G35 for now, they need to distinguish it from any other car just like it has always been. And for those that said anything about a V-8, Nissan would never do something like that, they are aware of the performance of their V-6 and they see no need to put in a V-8. And if you are wondering where I am getting this info. I have a buddy that works for nissan in TN, and also a few friends that live in Japan and they give me the inside scoop when they find something out.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Honda Convert!

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
To my understanding it will be, but they might just go with GT-R And thats it, it really depends on who gets it, either nissan or infiniti.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:15 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Any engine from the RB series will own the VQ even if they are "outdated", Nissan made a big mistake for not using another one of their godzilla engines in their next GT-R. This car does not impress me and I doubt it ever will, especially not at that price.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Honda Convert!

Originally Posted by Vlasic
Any engine from the RB series will own the VQ even if they are "outdated", Nissan made a big mistake for not using another one of their godzilla engines in their next GT-R. This car does not impress me and I doubt it ever will, especially not at that price.
Well Im not debating that fact. I am just stating that they are moving on from the RB series and trying to expand on the VQ series.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:38 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Ya I know....I just don't like it.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:42 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

plain and simple, you don't win "new" customers with old technology.

technology/marketing >>>> what the average enthusiasts thinks

while yes, the RB was a stout motor, plain and simple the VQ is the new Nissan workhorse(like the VG series once was)...it would be a joke if they threw an outdated RB into the reincarnation of there top level sports/race car in 2007. like it or not the VQ is the new focus for Nissan.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:52 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

I agree that they new technology and that throwing in their old engine wouldnt be the best idea, but they should have stuck with the I6 platform, maybe revamp the RB30, or add a new one to the RB line. Whatever, I know the VQ is their new engine for everything...eventually I'll accept it.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by papasmurf
...they are sticking with the VQ cause its cheap and they also have a lot of development time into that engine.
Exactly my point. It's cheap, and its packaging is excellent for the amount of power it produces. Those are compromises.

Numbers are for pussies. There's a LOT more to an engine besides raw power figures. You can make as much power as you want out of any engine configuration -- hell, Nismo made a 1600hp TT 350Z drag car. But what about throttle response? Smoothness? Power band? Torque delivery?

When the car is supposed to make performance figures, you put in whatever engine you can find that will make the best power for the best cost. When it's supposed to be more than that, though -- when it's supposed to be an experience, something that people will be passionate about -- you have to take other things into account. Companies like BMW understand this, which is why you won't find a single V6 in their cars.

You can put as much development into the VQ as you want, but in the end you're still stuck with the fact that it started life as a road car engine. In terms of real dynamics and driver satisfaction, NOTHING will EVER live up to an engine developed for racing. NOTHING.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:05 AM

I agree that they new technology and that throwing in their old engine wouldnt be the best idea, but they should have stuck with the I6 platform, maybe revamp the RB30, or add a new one to the RB line. Whatever, I know the VQ is their new engine for everything...eventually I'll accept it.
You don't have to accept it. No matter how good an engine is, to say that it's going to be "for everything" is patently absurd.

It's all the ridiculously sharp budget knife of Carlos Ghosn. We have to thank for rescuing Nissan from bankruptcy, but keeping things lean ALWAYS keeps them from being as good as they could be.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
If they call it Skyline, I'll be surprised, Japan is notorious for trying to put an Americanized name or number vice using the Japan names. Fairlady Z = 300Z, Bluebird = Altima, Sunny = Sentra, just to name a few.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:24 PM
brotherhood of tq

well just because the vq is presently in a max n altima we have no idea what its tru purpose is. it could have been a race motor that had been detuned to put it into many different cars. im just tossing out an idea about it. but i guess we just have to wait n see what this car is going to be like. the only reason y i dont think infiniti would get the new gtr is because over in japan they call the g35 a skyline and it would be a mess to have a gtr be the addition to the g35'ish line up. it might look different but i think nissan might need to keep it for its self to make it as unique as possible
Old 07-21-2005, 12:37 AM

even with the new skyline coming out, i probably still rather have a r34. btw, has anyone seen the r34 z-tune? that's crazy. limited edition only 20 made. 200k price tag. supposedly nissan made the z-tune to prove they could do something like that.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
well in cali everyone willl be able to afford it because all i see in certain areas like La Jolla, Coronado, Del Mar, Rancho Penisquitos, Poway, are BMW M3, 850,745li,BENZO s55, CLK's, s500 roadsters, SL 600, i even saw a maybac so ppl will be able to afford them here with no problem its just if they know about what it is to get it but all those old grandpas will buy it to show off and drive like 55 othe freeway slowingdown traffic for all of those ppl wuth less hp that want to go fast.
I live in Del Mar, do I get a Skyline? hahaha crap... My personal favorite is the R33, very athletic appearance without the more gaudy R34... but I'd still pick the R34 over this one... but anyways maybe Nissan can pull something off really nicely, the G35 is a nice looking car, same as the old Skylines non gtr ones... nice plain jane looking cars... but in GTR form they are totally different animals...

you can afford damn near anything with financing, just pay 800/month for 362 months and you're set... thts how most of those fools afford their M3s and SL55s...
Old 07-21-2005, 06:32 AM

Okay guys, update time...

Been reading around on the Internet, and it seems the car is less of a blasphemy than I thought in some ways, and even more in others.

First of all, the most likely engine is a VQ32DETT, probably a short-stroked VQ35 that has been developed with Cosworth and is doing very well in JGTC racing. They're ditching the RB series motors because of their terrible emissions and fuel economy. This engine probably won't sing and dance like the RB, but it will make a lot more torque at lower RPMs and of course sound nice (as we all know )

There are also rumors of a RWD layout with -- get this -- electric motors for the front wheels to provide power only when needed. I hear that the turbos will also be electrically assisted to keep them spooling at lower RPMs. That's really outlandish stuff, so there's no way to tell whether it's true, but it's kinda cool. Again, if that's the case, then there's only one explanation: Cost savings from using current RWD platform, transmission, and engine parts insted of developing new AWD ones.

This car, though Nissan is selecting it to bear the GT-R badge and carry on the legacy of the Skyline GT-Rs of the past, will not actually be part of the Skyline lineup. Nor is it going to be the same racer-first, glitz-and-glamor second car that it used to be. Nissan is positioning the car in a much more upmarket segment than before, hence the price tag. They're aiming directly at the supersports cars -- basically anything with AWD and remotely 400hp that thinks it can hang.

Here is the link I found that summarizes everything:
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/sh...ad.php?t=33690

Also, a link talking about the next-generation Skyline (G35), which is the car that the new GT-R will most likely be based on:
http://www.7tune.com/skyline_001.html

I'm still pissed that it's a V6, still pissed that it's not more of a pure go-fast car, and still pissed that it's a departure from previous GT-Rs. Just thinking about it coming to America with an optional automatic transmission -- which I can't see Nissan not doing -- makes me about ready to flip out and kill someone. But hey... at this point, Nissan has to face certain realities like any company. Looks like it'll be a good car anyway, and I hope it sells well.

I know where my money's going, though: first to some random Japanese guy, in exchange for his R32 GT-R V-Spec II, and then to some lucky tuner shop here to gussy it up a little. If you guys see anyone who has a new GT-R by the time I'm done, tell them to meet me at the track.