General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Zaino...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001, 07:58 PM

Hi guys,

I'm considering purchasing a bunch of products from Zaino and completely "detailing" the outside of my car myself.

I am thinking about purchasing...
-Z1 Show Car Polish LOK Pre-cleaner
-Z2 Show Car Polish
-Z5 Polish for Swirl Marks & Fine Scratches
-Z6 Ultra Clean "Gloss Enhancer" Spray
-Z7 Show Car Wash
-Z18 ClayBar

How many of you guys have used Zaino? Any comments? Does it help get rid of some of those annoying paint chips? Is it worth the money? Any other comments are welcome.

Thanks,
-Nick
Old 05-22-2001, 08:32 PM
RussMaxManiac

Well you defintely are ordering the correct products for what you need to do. Basically follow the instruction sheet he sends with the package. Do not wax your car in the sun, do it in a garage or shade. The polish/wax will not get rid of your chips, those need to be touched up carefully with touchup paint, and a toothpick helps putting the paint on in smaller spots. After the paint dries then wax the car step-by-step. You will never turn back to another wax after using Zaino.

Originally posted by Nick
Hi guys,

I'm considering purchasing a bunch of products from Zaino and completely "detailing" the outside of my car myself.

-Z2 Show Car Polish
-Z7 Show Car Wash
-Z18 ClayBar

How many of you guys have used Zaino? Any comments? Does it help get rid of some of those annoying paint chips? Is it worth the money? Any other comments are welcome.

Thanks,
-Nick

Old 05-22-2001, 09:09 PM

Hi guys,

-Z2 Show Car Polish
-Z7 Show Car Wash
-Z18 ClayBar

Thanks,
-Nick
Hehe... just about the same stuff I ordered (I got the Z-9 and Z-10 in addition). Sweet stuff. I'll never go back to using any other wax. Do a search on the 5th gen boards for more feedback.

Hesitation kills. Order it tomorrow. You'll be so happy you did.

Cheers!
Old 05-23-2001, 02:46 AM

Dry Time

Will Zaino dry in a reasonable amount of time if it's raining out (car's in the garage)?
Old 05-23-2001, 06:48 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Hi guys,

-Z2 Show Car Polish
-Z7 Show Car Wash
-Z18 ClayBar

Thanks,
-Nick
Nick,

I've exclusively used Zaino on my 99 Max for 2 years and began about 16 months ago on my 94 and other family cars. The only one of their products I haven't been impressed with is the Z-5 for scratches. It just didn't seem to work on my Super Black finish that well. On the other hand, the 3M "Perfect-It" for Swirls works better, but it's not that great, either.

Make sure to get 3 bottles of the Z-7 Car Wash. That stuff blows away any other car wash I've used. I think it's a better product then their wax and polishes....

Make sure you go to a department store and find some good white bath towels on sale that are 100% cotton (Cannon by Fieldcrest is a good example of all cotton towels). Get yourself 3 of these for good measure. You will be doing a lot of "wax-on" "wax-off".

And remember:

"breathe-in", "breath-out", Nick-son.

The downfall to Zaino:

It is a polymer (i.e. plastic) based wax, which Carnauba wax purists will tell you is not good for your paint. Carnauba allows paint to "breathe" better than a polymer based wax since polymers are much more structured chemically and don't tend to have as many "teeny-tiny holes" for air to escape. Over time, this is supposed make paint "cracked" or "eggshelled".

I have not personally experienced this, so who knows how accurate that is. I'm sure in extreme cases (car sits in Arizona desert, no garage, etc.) this can occur. But for most of us, I doubt that would be a problem.

Furthermore, if the car is a daily driver, Zaino is just too good to pass up. It doesn't require a whole lot of upkeep. Just a clay and wax every year and occasional re-waxing however often you choose. I've worried a lot less about my car finish since going to Zaino. Regular car washes will keep her looking good.

For any other questions, ask Russ. He's the expert in this field and first one I know of to use it on a Max. He turned me to this product, and I'm glad he did.
Old 05-23-2001, 07:06 AM
RussMaxManiac

Thank you for the compliment Bill. I do have a question for you though. Since I noticed the same thing with my SuperBlack Maxima, it seems to have trouble getting rid of the scratches/swirls (didn't do this on my 99 TA after 4 months), so its a obvious Nissan Paint issue. But anyways, how much better does the 3M help with this? I am willing to try that with Zaino to see the difference. I also use a real synthetic shammy when washing my cars, since I have learned towels seem to cause alot of swirls also.

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Nick,

I've exclusively used Zaino on my 99 Max for 2 years and began about 16 months ago on my 94 and other family cars. The only one of their products I haven't been impressed with is the Z-5 for scratches. It just didn't seem to work on my Super Black finish that well. On the other hand, the 3M "Perfect-It" for Swirls works better, but it's not that great, either.

Make sure to get 3 bottles of the Z-7 Car Wash. That stuff blows away any other car wash I've used. I think it's a better product then their wax and polishes....

Make sure you go to a department store and find some good white bath towels on sale that are 100% cotton (Cannon by Fieldcrest is a good example of all cotton towels). Get yourself 3 of these for good measure. You will be doing a lot of "wax-on" "wax-off".

And remember:

"breathe-in", "breath-out", Nick-son.

The downfall to Zaino:

It is a polymer (i.e. plastic) based wax, which Carnauba wax purists will tell you is not good for your paint. Carnauba allows paint to "breathe" better than a polymer based wax since polymers are much more structured chemically and don't tend to have as many "teeny-tiny holes" for air to escape. Over time, this is supposed make paint "cracked" or "eggshelled".

I have not personally experienced this, so who knows how accurate that is. I'm sure in extreme cases (car sits in Arizona desert, no garage, etc.) this can occur. But for most of us, I doubt that would be a problem.

Furthermore, if the car is a daily driver, Zaino is just too good to pass up. It doesn't require a whole lot of upkeep. Just a clay and wax every year and occasional re-waxing however often you choose. I've worried a lot less about my car finish since going to Zaino. Regular car washes will keep her looking good.

For any other questions, ask Russ. He's the expert in this field and first one I know of to use it on a Max. He turned me to this product, and I'm glad he did.

Old 05-23-2001, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Thank you for the compliment Bill. I do have a question for you though. Since I noticed the same thing with my SuperBlack Maxima, it seems to have trouble getting rid of the scratches/swirls (didn't do this on my 99 TA after 4 months), so its a obvious Nissan Paint issue. But anyways, how much better does the 3M help with this? I am willing to try that with Zaino to see the difference. I also use a real synthetic shammy when washing my cars, since I have learned towels seem to cause alot of swirls also.

Russ,

It's noticeable, but not *that* noticeable. It's worth a try, but you'll still be cussing Nissan under your breathe for their "Chippy Black" paint.

FYI, I just did a Zaino clay and wax over the weekend on the 99 and didn't even bother to use the Swirl Remover. I've given up on the scratches. You may still have a chance, though, since your Max is young.

I would definitely get Stongard ASAP to help address the paint chip issues. It's too late for my Maxes.
Old 05-23-2001, 07:30 AM
RussMaxManiac

I have a bra that I use all the time. So its still looks good. But I do have a few chips on the hood that I have needed to touch up already. Since they're not SMOOTH, won't the stone guard not seat right with it?

Russ,

It's noticeable, but not *that* noticeable. It's worth a try, but you'll still be cussing Nissan under your breathe for their "Chippy Black" paint.

FYI, I just did a Zaino clay and wax over the weekend on the 99 and didn't even bother to use the Swirl Remover. I've given up on the scratches. You may still have a chance, though, since your Max is young.

I would definitely get Stongard ASAP to help address the paint chip issues. It's too late for my Maxes.

Old 05-23-2001, 07:37 AM

I have a bra that I use all the time. So its still looks good. But I do have a few chips on the hood that I have needed to touch up already. Since they're not SMOOTH, won't the stone guard not seat right with it?

That's probably a better shingles or JimW question......it's good that your using a bra, though.

From what I understand, it just conforms to your hood, which means it just "fills in" paint chips, etc. Although, deep chips may be a different story.

The best way I think of stongard is a plastic sheet for the front of your car, with the ability to form itself like saran wrap on your car.....
Old 05-23-2001, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by RcticMax

Hehe... just about the same stuff I ordered (I got the Z-9 and Z-10 in addition). Sweet stuff. I'll never go back to using any other wax. Do a search on the 5th gen boards for more feedback.

Hesitation kills. Order it tomorrow. You'll be so happy you did.

Cheers!
How does the interior stuff work? I was debating whether I should order the Leather Cleaner and Leather Protecter (Z9 and Z10) too.

Also, thank you every one for their help. I'm definately gonna try this stuff.

-Nick
Old 05-23-2001, 12:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had a friend of mine from Dallas detail my car... he got rid of every single swirl mark using Meguires wax. My car looks good in the sun now. I'm sure you can get them all out with Zaino... it just takes a while.
Old 05-23-2001, 02:05 PM
RussMaxManiac

The interior leather is very good, also smells good. It seems to soften the leather much better than other products.

How does the interior stuff work? I was debating whether I should order the Leather Cleaner and Leather Protecter (Z9 and Z10) too.

Also, thank you every one for their help. I'm definately gonna try this stuff.

-Nick

Old 05-23-2001, 02:09 PM

The interior leather is very good, also smells good. It seems to soften the leather much better than other products.
Russ,

You're wrong.

ALL Zaino products smell good.

I wonder if it was bad that I caught myself smelling the wax several times over the weekend instead of applying it?

Hopefully, there's no long term brain damage....

Old 05-23-2001, 02:22 PM
RussMaxManiac

LOL! You almost got me on that one you sniffer!

Russ,

You're wrong.
ALL Zaino products smell good.

I wonder if it was bad that I caught myself smelling the wax several times over the weekend instead of applying it?

Hopefully, there's no long term brain damage....

Old 05-23-2001, 05:32 PM

Leather, Zaino, etc.

I haven't tried the Zaino leather product but, I'm a big fan of Lexol. The soap is very gentle on the leather, yet will get out most dirt, spots, etc. The conditioner protects the leather very well - used it for nine years on my G20 and the seats still looked great when I traded.
Old 05-23-2001, 07:01 PM

the cats meow

zaino rules. I applied it in the Fall, and it has lasted right up through this spring through one of the worst, meanest, dirtiest, salt and sand - road covered Canadian winters. this spring after all of that..it still outshone cars fresh out of the showroom.!
Old 05-23-2001, 07:36 PM

the cats meow

zaino rules. I applied it in the Fall, and it has lasted right up through this spring through one of the worst, meanest, dirtiest, salt and sand - road covered Canadian winters. this spring after all of that..it still outshone cars fresh out of the showroom.!
Old 05-23-2001, 07:53 PM

Longterm Zaino

Has anyone experienced any problems with Zaino over the longterm? If so what were they? Also, what happens if you switch from Zaino to a wax product? Can you just wax right over it without hazing, etc.?