General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Kill Switch How To...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 06:33 PM

Kill Switch How To...

So you all want to know how to wire a kill switch in? Its not hard at all. I took out the difficulty out of the project by finding the ingition wire for you. The hardest part will be finding a place to hid the switch. You could also wire it into a stock switch but thats up to you to figure out.

Materials:
14 or 16 guage wire
Butt connectors, or solder, or any kind of wire connector
Phillip Screwdriver
Single Pole Double Throw switch (SPDT)
Female quick wire connectors
Wire stripper tool
Wire crimper tool
Utility Knife
Tie Wraps

Instructions

1. Get all the nesscary material.

2. Remove the panel under the steering wheel and the steering wheel shaft/ingition cover. There are 5 or six screw on the underneath of the steering wheel. That is how you get the ingition cover off. There are also to screws at the bottom on each side of the larger panel.

3. After you get the plastic panel off there is a metal plate on with 2 screw in it. After you get those out pull up on the plate to pop it out.

4. After you get both of those panels off you get this:

(ingore some of those red connectors i made a boo boo
5. Now you need to find the power wire to the ingition. The wire is white with a black stripe. Its wrapped in electrical tape with a gazillion other wires. The easist way to find it is on the back of the ingition there is a bunch of wires connected to it. Follow those wires down till about where you can see the steering shaft. You will see the wires wrapped in the tape.

6. Bring out that utility knife! Cut the tape to expose the wires, but be careful not to slice the wires.

7. Find the white wire with the black stripe.The w/b wire is thicker then most of the other wires.

8. Now that you have found the b/w wire and are sure its the right one(theres only 1 w/b wire) cut it about in the middle leaving room to attach wires for the switch.

9. Try and start the car now that you cut the wire. If it doesnt start you did it right. If it does start, you didnt cut the wrong wire. Reconnect that one and find the right on.

10. Now heres the fork in the road. If you want to make the switch a stock switch (cruise control, hazard, etc) its up to you to figure out where to wire it to. If you want to wire in a SPDT switch get out that 14 or 16 gauge wire.

EDIT: Thanks LatinMax...

Step 10a is:

Get a Bosch relay (they are rated at least 30 amps) connect the wire comming from the ignition to pole 30 & 85. Hook up 87 to the other end of the wire you cut (the one going out the firewall) , then last, but not least hook up pole 86 to a switch and then to a ground.

option 2 is the power door locks option.
Step 10b is:
Get a Bosch relay (they are rated at least 30 amps) connect the wire comming from the ignition to pole 30 & 85. Hook up 87 to the other end of the wire you cut (the one going out the firewall) , then last, but not least hook up pole 86 the grey wire in the driver kick panel that shows ground when you press the power door locks.
You will have to press the door lock swithch into the lock position and hold it to start the car.

11. Stripe about a 1/2" to 1" off both ends of the power and the wire your going to use for your switch. Before cutting the wire for the switch, figure out where your going to put the switch so you cut enough wire. Be sure to hide this switch out of sight.

12. Attach a female connector to each end of the wire your bought for the switch. You need 2 wires with 1 connected at the end of each wire.

13. Now attach the wire you bought to the ingition power wire (w/b) using the connectors your bought.

14. Attach the female connectors to the switch. It doesnt matter what end you connect it to on the switch.

15. Test the switch. Make sure it works before you go and put everything together.

16. Try and organize the wires with the tie wraps to keep the wires out of sight.

17. TA-DA! you did it. now dont go tell everyone you wired in a kill switch, remember this is keeping other people from starting it.

Good luck

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE DONE DURING THIS. THIS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
Old 07-29-2005, 07:29 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

im thinking usiung a realy would be much safer http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace/index.html has a slightly different approach.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:34 PM

ya true but none of those wire or instruction work for the 4th gen.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:09 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Cool, but if I were ever to wire in a kill switch, I would hook it up to the fuel pump fuse.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Vlasic
Cool, but if I were ever to wire in a kill switch, I would hook it up to the fuel pump fuse.
:sigh: thats for another day
Old 07-30-2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Vlasic
i found the fuel pump fuse but i just dont have a switch. Ill get back with some pics. The FPS is under the hood release in the panel on the wall.

Also the clutch relay is a little plug behind the clutch. Its very easy to find and looks like all you got 2 do it cut and put on the switch.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Great job on the write-up. Just wanted to ad a few things.
But, always do a relay. Starter wire is high amperage on the Maxima and may...will arc.
Instead of the swith do a relay.
Step 10a is:
Get a Bosch relay (they are rated at least 30 amps) connect the wire comming from the ignition to pole 30 & 85. Hook up 87 to the other end of the wire you cut (the one going out the firewall) , then last, but not least hook up pole 86 to a switch and then to a ground.
option 2 is the power door locks option.
Step 10a is:
Get a Bosch relay (they are rated at least 30 amps) connect the wire comming from the ignition to pole 30 & 85. Hook up 87 to the other end of the wire you cut (the one going out the firewall) , then last, but not least hook up pole 86 the grey wire in the driver kick panel that shows ground when you press the power door locks.
You will have to press the door lock swithch into the lock position and hold it to start the car.

this is just one example. The ideas can be endless.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:32 PM

thanks dude.. ill even add it into the right up. Where can i get a relay? And whay do you mean by arc?
Old 07-30-2005, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by sean05
thanks dude.. ill even add it into the right up. Where can i get a relay? And whay do you mean by arc?
Relay can be bought at Radio Shack or most car audio places and should run $10-15 bucks max. If enough people need them I could get them alot cheaper and ship them to how ever wants.
Arc, means that you transfer too much current accross a swithch and burn it out or worst...cause a fire.

Why do I want to use a relay and do I really need to? Anytime you want to switch a device which draws more current than is provided by an output of a switch or component you'll need to use a relay. The coil of an SPDT relay that we most commonly use draws very little current (less than 200 milliamps) and the amount of current that you can pass through a relay's common, normally closed, and normally open contacts will handle up to 30 or 40 amps. This allows you to switch devices such as headlights, parking lights, horns, etc., with low amperage outputs such as those found on keyless entry and alarm systems, and other components. In some cases you may need to switch multiple things at the same time using one output. A single output connected to multiple relays will allow you to open continuity and/or close continuity simultaneously on multiple wires. So if you wanted to you could cut the starer and fuel pump on the same swith or fuction.

Here is the general break down of a switch:
SPDT Relay : (Single Pole Double Throw Relay) an electromagnetic switch, consist of a coil (terminals 85 & 86), 1 common terminal (30), 1 normally closed terminal (87a), and one normally open terminal (87).

When the coil of the relay is at rest (not energized), the common terminal (30) and the normally closed terminal (87a) have continuity. When the coil is energized, the common terminal (30) and the normally open terminal (87) have continuity.

Hope this help and I did not want to steal you glory on you write-up
I did this set-up where you have to first punch in a code on a key pad (it only allows you 15 sce to start) and then make a certain function in the car just to start it. Like my second example...but not of course. lol
Old 07-30-2005, 05:35 PM

thanks a lot dude
Old 07-30-2005, 05:55 PM

This is one of those how to's which doesnt need to be made public..
Old 07-30-2005, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by gtr_rider
This is one of those how to's which doesnt need to be made public..
thanks for you compliments.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:10 AM

I think he means the exact details..like my car, no details.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:12 PM

thanks JSUTTER!! that was the site i was looking for in the begining. and thanks sean05!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:58 PM

awsome write up...
Old 08-02-2005, 07:52 PM

welcome all!