General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

FAILED NJ inspection because of blue interior lights!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 04:38 PM
大陆弟弟

FAILED NJ inspection because of blue interior lights!!!???

I just wasted 2 hours at the DMV in Lodi, NJ. I patiently waited in line for my turn, and watched the technicians run the tests on my car while chirping my tires in between tests . But then just as the guy signals for me, he tells me I failed! Why? He said it's illegal to have blue interior lights...since when did states care about what color INTERIOR lights were??? Did I really fail because of a law or did that guy make it up?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by n3985
I just wasted 2 hours at the DMV in Lodi, NJ. I patiently waited in line for my turn, and watched the technicians run the tests on my car while chirping my tires in between tests . But then just as the guy signals for me, he tells me I failed! Why? He said it's illegal to have blue interior lights...since when did states care about what color INTERIROR lights were??? Did I really fail because of a law or did that guy make it up?
i hate the lodi dmv!
1. the line is always freakin long
2. they are usually ******!

just change ur lights and go back.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:56 PM
大陆弟弟

Ya I plan to this Saturday and cancel my dealership appointment on Friday . Just hope when I get there they won't fail me again for some other BS reason like my fog lights are not yellow enough or something
Old 08-03-2005, 05:32 PM
retired moderator

I just wasted 2 hours at the DMV in Lodi, NJ. I patiently waited in line for my turn, and watched the technicians run the tests on my car while chirping my tires in between tests . But then just as the guy signals for me, he tells me I failed! Why? He said it's illegal to have blue interior lights...since when did states care about what color INTERIOR lights were??? Did I really fail because of a law or did that guy make it up?
yes, that is an actual law. I'm surprised he didn't just sell you some normal bulbs and let you switch them out right there......
Old 08-03-2005, 05:39 PM
大陆弟弟

No, he just told me I failed and said to come back in 45 days. I was so anxious while watching them test my car. The guy chirped the tires everytime he drove to another station, and once tried to drive w/o releasing the parking brake . Oh well, lesson learned...

And I was wondering, there was one test where he parked the front wheels on this machine, and the machine shook the car up and down. Is meant to test the shocks? Or what?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

at least you didnt get stopped at a checkpiont for a cracked windshield, then fail emissions and an inspection that i had no choice doing like i did on route 34 in old bridge
Old 08-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

neither interior nor exterior lights can glow blue or red, nor can the bulbs even be coated blue or red, even if they light up the proper color...been thru this numerous times with inspection & with cops pulling me over for one thing and tacking on extra citations for blue exterior bulbs, even though they light up white. moreover in VA, your turn signals must REFLECT yellow, so clear corners with yellow/orange bulbs will get u rejected.

just go to inspection with the proper bulbs, get your sticker, and change them back when u get home....no big thing; even my dealer (free state inspections there) told me to change them back once i left there.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:45 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

Originally Posted by irish44j
yes, that is an actual law. I'm surprised he didn't just sell you some normal bulbs and let you switch them out right there......
since when is DMV that f*cking helpful?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:50 PM

im so glad i dont have to deal with any kind of inspection. but i have gotten fix-it tickets for blue bulbs, big no no! and virginia did land me a ticket for my radar! but the most stupid one is no tint on the front windows, va suks wen it comes to that stuff!!
Old 08-03-2005, 05:53 PM

damn Jersey is a fawked up place. You have to get inspections at the DMV? That blooooows.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:58 PM
大陆弟弟

Originally Posted by chenzarino
damn Jersey is a fawked up place. You have to get inspections at the DMV? That blooooows.
I could go to a private one, but why pay when it is free at DMV?
Old 08-03-2005, 06:15 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
but the most stupid one is no tint on the front windows, va suks wen it comes to that stuff!!
yeah, we Virginia folk like for other drivers to be able to see us at night, hence the no tint on the windshield. I think that is a law everywhere though....
Old 08-03-2005, 06:16 PM
retired moderator

just move to Texas. They are about to get rid of safety inspections entirely....
Old 08-03-2005, 06:27 PM

yeah, we Virginia folk like for other drivers to be able to see us at night, hence the no tint on the windshield. I think that is a law everywhere though....
nonononono, i meant the front windows (driver and passenger) not the windshield! of course thats a law
Old 08-03-2005, 07:19 PM
retired moderator

nonononono, i meant the front windows (driver and passenger) not the windshield! of course thats a law
Va. allows 50% on the front windows, 35% on the back.....yeah, 50% is not much, but you can tell the difference (I have it).....
Old 08-03-2005, 07:29 PM

ohhh ok, gotcha 50% is barely anything, so is 35%, with all those heat waves they should think about changin it i think, here in florida if they made that a law, it would be broken by every car in the state lol cant avoid the sun in the sunshine state
Old 08-03-2005, 07:33 PM
retired moderator

ohhh ok, gotcha 50% is barely anything, so is 35%, with all those heat waves they should think about changin it i think, here in florida if they made that a law, it would be broken by every car in the state lol cant avoid the sun in the sunshine state
you don't know about hot until you have a black car
Old 08-03-2005, 07:34 PM
大陆弟弟

You should've tried walking around NYC today
Old 08-03-2005, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by chenzarino
Why do you say that? It's one of the wealthiest states in the US, and is top 3 for education. Inspections are free. Here in PA, if you don't have a coupon you'll pay $70+ for an inspection. Our best high school is Lower Merion--ranked 121 nationally, what a joke. Turns out people like Kobe Bryant though.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:47 PM

agreed, black leather is painful everytime i get in the car when it's left in the sun
Old 08-03-2005, 10:51 PM

You should've tried walking around NYC today
walking in nyc + to your parking spot + leather seats =
Old 08-03-2005, 10:54 PM
BG

Never realized how lucky I was to live in a state that doesn't give a **** what we drive on the road. No inspections, No emissions, and cheap registration.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:30 PM

Ontario, Canada is just as bad with inspections every 2 years...but at least they dont care about what colour are interior/exterior lights are lol
Old 08-04-2005, 07:16 AM
Jedi Knight

Originally Posted by SuperChris
neither interior nor exterior lights can glow blue or red, nor can the bulbs even be coated blue or red

Chris,

That can't be totally tru, cause I know VWs have blue/purple gauges...and that is factory. I pass in NJ with red gauges, and I took my car to the DMV
Old 08-04-2005, 07:25 AM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

Originally Posted by nupe500
Chris,

That can't be totally tru, cause I know VWs have blue/purple gauges...and that is factory. I pass in NJ with red gauges, and I took my car to the DMV
yeah, you're right...in hindsight, my door light bulbs are blue but light up white, and before my indiglos blew out, they were very blue; it's just VA man, they make u think everything is illegal.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:28 AM
Jedi Knight

yeah, you're right...in hindsight, my door light bulbs are blue but light up white, and before my indiglos blew out, they were very blue; it's just VA man, they make u think everything is illegal.
...VA owns JOO
Old 08-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Project Ruby......

Ahh inspection for NJ and VA. I use to live in NJ I call it the law & order state, actually going to be there next week for vacation. I hate VA, VA is the only state where I see cops hiding in just about EVERY median (wooded) area on the interstate it's ridiculous one of these days I'm gonna get nailed in VA.

*When you hit the VA border must do speed limit.*
Old 08-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

Originally Posted by 4DRSpeed
Ahh inspection for NJ and VA. I use to live in NJ I call it the law & order state, actually going to be there next week for vacation. I hate VA, VA is the only state where I see cops hiding in just about EVERY median (wooded) area on the interstate it's ridiculous one of these days I'm gonna get nailed in VA.

*When you hit the VA border must do speed limit.*
VA cops & troopers can't handle a fair fight....that's why they ban radar decectors.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:27 PM

VA cops & troopers can't handle a fair fight....that's why they ban radar decectors.
Breaking the law is a fight? What about shoplifting, robbery, sexual crimes?

Here in Phila., there are no cops to stop lawbreakers. Cars bypass red turn signals by going up the middle and making the turn, with no consequences. Once in a while, they strike a child while doing so, but since there is a black cover over the plate, it cannot be read and they are never apprehended. That's what happens when cops can't do their jobs. Thank goodness VA and MD put lawbreakers where they belong. And when the cops can't be there, a traffic or speeding cam is.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:20 PM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

We do inspections at my work, and I had my car in the wash bay the other day. The guy comes out looks at my car and goes that tint definetly doesnt pass.... YEA!? well I wont worry about that for another year.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:22 PM
大陆弟弟

Originally Posted by Park2670
We do inspections at my work, and I had my car in the wash bay the other day. The guy comes out looks at my car and goes that tint definetly doesnt pass.... YEA!? well I wont worry about that for another year.
I was wondering about that, NJ requires inspection every 2 years. So if I get tint on the front windows (illegal in NJ), does that mean to pass I need to strip it off before, and then re-tint?
Old 08-04-2005, 07:44 PM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

yea pretty much...
Old 08-05-2005, 03:12 AM
GrandPa

im so glad i dont have to deal with any kind of inspection. but i have gotten fix-it tickets for blue bulbs, big no no! and virginia did land me a ticket for my radar! but the most stupid one is no tint on the front windows, va suks wen it comes to that stuff!!
You should get off on the tint ticket. You don't live in Va. There is a sign when you drive into Va. stating no radar detecter's are allowed. Also you can't use them in Washington, DC.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by mansurxk
at least you didnt get stopped at a checkpiont for a cracked windshield, then fail emissions and an inspection that i had no choice doing like i did on route 34 in old bridge

mansurxk, Why did you fail inspection? Was it because of a Y-pipe? I live in jersey as well, and haven been thinking about getting one, but the thought of failing emissions has stopped me.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:51 AM

just move to Texas. They are about to get rid of safety inspections entirely....
Off to Texas i go then.....lol F*(K Jersey i can't stand it anymore.....lol
Old 08-05-2005, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by ramberg
You should get off on the tint ticket. You don't live in Va. There is a sign when you drive into Va. stating no radar detecter's are allowed. Also you can't use them in Washington, DC.

True. As I travel from NJ to Fla once or twice a year I also see that sign when coming in from Maryland. I keep my Passport in the lower lefthand corner when going through VA.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:12 PM

Blue interior lights are illegal?? Um.. how about the VW Jettas???!!!! Anyone ever try driving them at night? It gives you a headache!
Old 08-05-2005, 05:14 PM

I was wondering about that, NJ requires inspection every 2 years. So if I get tint on the front windows (illegal in NJ), does that mean to pass I need to strip it off before, and then re-tint?
You can try rolling your windows while waiting on line..
Or
Re-tint after inspection
Or
Pay approx $45 to get it inspected at a local shop. But ask them before you go in..
Old 08-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Maryland only requires vehicle inspections when a title is transferred, so if you plan on keeping it a long time, mod away, Maryland state troopers however hunt in pac's, get pulled over by one of those bad boy's and you will think your back at the DMV for inspection. This state does have some of the highest taxes, however, they put my money where their mouth is and we have some of the best maintained roads and bridges in the country...

I don't mind paying high taxes that show results, to this day, I still can't figure out where all my tax money went when I lived in NYC because the roads, bridges, tunnels, streets, all s%uck. Most taxes I paid in NYC went to Welfare, f%uckers can't figure out how to get a job, but will spend 50+ hour work weeks researching how to get MY pay without doing $hit, NOT ANYMORE....

Anyway Orgers, work hard, millions of people on welfare depend on us...
Old 08-07-2005, 07:33 PM
大陆弟弟

Haha, I went back Saturday morning at 8am. Waited another 30min in the car and was my turn. Guy looks at my sheet which states my reason for failing is BLUE INTERIOR LIGHTS. He turns on my LOW BEAMS and says, didn't you tell the guy it comes from factory like this? Me = I did, but there was long line and he told me to leave. He shakes his head, and proceeds to do other required tests. I wait 5min and watch him skip all other tests and sticks on my new inspection sticker.

Quick Reply: FAILED NJ inspection because of blue interior lights!!!???