General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

No More Mods for Cali Cars.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 11:35 AM

I HATE California. I swear, what will they think of next!? I can't wait till someone challenges the constitutionality of the "probably cause" area of this law.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:37 AM

Might be time for everyone to head to the choppah, and get the hell out of there.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:26 PM
BG

Originally Posted by FloodShark
They wont be stopping people to ticket them for having wings or stickers or the such, they'll be using those mods as probable cause to search the car for illegal mods like an engine swap or illegal exhausts aka no cats and what not.
Engine swaps are illegal in Cali?

I really don't understand why all of this stuff is illegal?
If its because of a high crash rate...how about making the driving tests harder?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:41 PM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

I think the biggest problem with this law is how much it will hurt our economy. Think of how much money gets put in to this country from everybody buying mods for their cars
Old 08-10-2005, 06:54 PM
我爱台湾

Yeah it's about time to get the hell up out of here anyway. Been looking to come back to the east coast anyway and Cali is definitely making me look in the Beltway area because of the work I do, DOD Contractor. Anyone got any hookups? Let me know.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Wil's95SE
Yeah it's about time to get the hell up out of here anyway. Been looking to come back to the east coast anyway and Cali is definitely making me look in the Beltway area because of the work I do, DOD Contractor. Anyone got any hookups? Let me know.
Plenty of defense people in the DC forums.....

And yeah, sucks to be in Cali right now I guess...
Old 08-10-2005, 07:26 PM
大陆弟弟

I think Californians for one day after the law passes should put huge wings on every car, and tape on some coffee cans onto their exhausts just to show how rediculous such a law is.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Park2670
I think the biggest problem with this law is how much it will hurt our economy. Think of how much money gets put in to this country from everybody buying mods for their cars
As interesting of a point that is... I'm not sure that it'll be that big of an impact...
Old 08-10-2005, 07:43 PM
retired moderator

1. looks like the sleeper route will become more popular.

2. if you're not doing anything illegal, you have nothing to worry about

3. yet another reason California (and the west coast in general) are (and Vermont, for that matter).
Old 08-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Always sunny in philly

sucks for the west coast. What will ever happen to West Coast Customs now?
Old 08-10-2005, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin

Just because you have those things, doesn't mean you necessarily street race. That's like saying "pull over that guy in the Viper because his car is capable of going 180 mph." If I have a Viper, Corvette, Ferrari, etc., does that mean I deserve the same treatment, too? Jeff was right about the Harleys, too. Many of them have exhaust that is as loud or louder than a lot of ricers.

Damn stereotypes. Just because I'm asian does that make me good at math? HELL NO. Its the ****** who keep on street racing that messed it up for the rest of us.
I buy a car that is my property and I should be able to do whatever I want to it as long as it doesn't hurt or bother anybody else or is dangerous to drive.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:00 AM
Way out West

Originally Posted by irish44j
1. looks like the sleeper route will become more popular.

2. if you're not doing anything illegal, you have nothing to worry about

3. yet another reason California (and the west coast in general) are (and Vermont, for that matter).
Actually, Oregon and Washington outside of Portland, Eugene and the Seattle area are pretty cool and not full of retarded laws and ordinances. Well, at least not as many. I would bet that the East Coast in a lot of ways is worse.

Where I live people still have trucks with guns in the gun racks, you don't need to go through emmisions and you can burn your garbage out in the back yard if you want (except in the summer because of the fire season). There are lots of wide open roads, too. Cruising is not outlawed here. Lots of kids run around through downtown and out to the little strip to hang out, etc. on Friday and Saturday nights.

This Friday, there is a huge classic car cruise, where several hundred old cars roam around town and cruise up and down the "gut" like they did in the 60s. Aside from no burnouts, the cops hang out, smile and let you have a good time. Most of the city, county and state cops here are pretty cool. If they pull you over for little crap, it's really to see if you are DUI, not just to be a-holes.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:43 AM

cali strikes again.... im sure glad i dont live there!!
Old 08-11-2005, 04:47 AM
sunten1

Wow that suck butt for you Cali people...and I hope it doesn't spread eastward...

Old 08-11-2005, 05:36 AM
Schnell kaputt

We have something similar here in Vancouver but in the Richmond municipality. They're a lot more frequent during the summer. The problem with our laws (Motor Vehicles Act) is that they are so loosely defined that EVERY OFFICER interprets them differently. You should see how many factory spec'd cars get pulled over (Integra Type-R (exhaust/ride height), STI (exhaust/ride height), Mercedes (H.I.D.'s)) and the list goes on. In a one month span I was pulled over 4 times for suspected "too low" ride height. They spent an average of 40 minutes looking over my suspension and measuring and each time they couldn't issue me a Vehicle Inspection ticket. It was amazing watching them determined to find something wrong with my suspension. Pushing down on the car, finger gap test, tape measure from fender to ground/headlamp to ground, turning my steering wheel, checking for rubbing. Freaking idiots.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much. Unless it's a mass road-block and they pull over all cars that "look" modified I wouldn't sweat it too much if you don't drive like an ***.

It would be interesting to see how it will unfold and what the reaction will be from both sides.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:53 AM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by Bonka
We have something similar here in Vancouver but in the Richmond municipality. They're a lot more frequent during the summer. The problem with our laws (Motor Vehicles Act) is that they are so loosely defined that EVERY OFFICER interprets them differently. You should see how many factory spec'd cars get pulled over (Integra Type-R (exhaust/ride height), STI (exhaust/ride height), Mercedes (H.I.D.'s)) and the list goes on. In a one month span I was pulled over 4 times for suspected "too low" ride height. They spent an average of 40 minutes looking over my suspension and measuring and each time they couldn't issue me a Vehicle Inspection ticket. It was amazing watching them determined to find something wrong with my suspension. Pushing down on the car, finger gap test, tape measure from fender to ground/headlamp to ground, turning my steering wheel, checking for rubbing. Freaking idiots.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much. Unless it's a mass road-block and they pull over all cars that "look" modified I wouldn't sweat it too much if you don't drive like an ***.

It would be interesting to see how it will unfold and what the reaction will be from both sides.

screw that. i wouldnt want them pushing down on the car. most people dont appreciate what you have done to your car and then you tell them to be carefull and they yel lat you because you wont let them do their job.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

In a one month span I was pulled over 4 times for suspected "too low" ride height. They spent an average of 40 minutes looking over my suspension and measuring and each time they couldn't issue me a Vehicle Inspection ticket. It was amazing watching them determined to find something wrong with my suspension. Pushing down on the car, finger gap test, tape measure from fender to ground/headlamp to ground, turning my steering wheel, checking for rubbing. Freaking idiots.

I wouldn't sweat it too much if you don't drive like an ***.

So were you driving like an *** to get pulled over 4 times?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:57 AM

Watch all them import people are going to be moving out of CA. CA laws are indead stupid. They're all going nuts there, nothing to do.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:21 AM

Man i am so glad i live down here. There are no height violations and most of the cops have cars that are modified. Hell i haven't had my car inspected in over 2 years
Old 08-11-2005, 03:41 PM
GrandPa

I quess its easier for them to screw with us than gang members and drug dearlers. It must be that actor who runs the state and has nothing better to do.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:58 PM

That Sux Ballz
Old 08-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Banned

If Aftermarket exhausts are illegal, motorcycles should be illegal as well
Old 08-11-2005, 04:31 PM

Lol!
Old 08-11-2005, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by ramberg
I quess its easier for them to screw with us than gang members and drug dearlers. It must be that actor who runs the state and has nothing better to do.
You should see what he drives. Most of his vehicles are big gas guzzling monsters.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:44 PM

well ppl do kill themselves streetracing...
Old 08-11-2005, 08:03 PM

The East Coast has nothing to worry about right now. Yesterday, I reset my ecu 3 (yes, three) miles before my emissions test (no exhaust probe, just OBD-II test), knowing I had the Vehicle Speed Sensor Malf. code stored. I passed the fuggin emissions test and was dumbfounded. I couldn't believe it, and all I could say to the guy was thank you. At least 4-5 of the parts of the test were listed as "not ready", and it seemed like the only thing I did pass was the fact I had no codes stored (gee, I wonder how that happened), and that I had no CEL (another mystery...). Long live the East Coast
Old 08-11-2005, 08:06 PM

At least the weather is always nice here

Honestly, I don't see why everyone is b!tching and complaining about cali. Don't do anything stupid, and chances are you won't get pulled over. I'm sure the majority of the people that will get pulled over will be 16 yr old ricer kids. I really don't think it's something to be extremely worried about. And yeah, it's expensive, but that's what you have to pay to live in a nice place. I sure like looking at the ocean driving down PCH everyday. If you don't like it, move. We have too many people here anyways, the more that leave the better.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:52 PM
BG

I agree... I'm a Cali native who moved... and never looked back.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:41 PM
Custom User Title

Hopefully they will change the laws up a bit and cut the people some slack..

Here, you could put a V8 into a lawn mower, and the cops wouldn't think anything of it.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Schnell kaputt

Originally Posted by Micah95GLE
So were you driving like an *** to get pulled over 4 times?
Nah..I drive too much like a *****

All 4 times they were roadblocks, and I didn't make it through right away
Old 08-11-2005, 11:18 PM

Wow that is so stupid. So that means you can't buy an Evo or a Sti cuz you're going to get pulled over right? What about a Cobalt or a Srt-4? Haha Man that's so lame.. They're doing this to crack down on all the street racing.. If they train the cops to spot out a car by it's muffler or rims then the sleeper look will only go so far, unless you have stock muffler n rims..Either way this is stupid, someone needs to complain..I mean if this is the case what about muscle cars? What about porche's? It's all about the green, they just wanna get paid..That $hit better stay in Cali...
Old 08-12-2005, 12:58 AM

maybe they should crack down more on terrorism than some cars not having all emissions equipment. 1 car with emissions missing isn't going to kill anyone. 1 terrorist can kill dozens of people, if not hundreds.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:42 AM

All 4 times they were roadblocks,

Oh, I see.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
well ppl do kill themselves streetracing...

Old 08-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I think Governor Arnold is going to Terminate all the ricers, line them up and run over them all with his Hummer...

Sounds pretty ****, however their has to be more to it in order for law enforcement to start such a hard crackdown. What's the background, too many racing deaths? smog? noise? unsafe cars? It's easy to throw out some F%ucked up law going to be imposed and trash it, Who in Cali can tell us why???
Old 08-12-2005, 09:29 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Some info I found on Cali...

WHAT A DIFFERENCE YOU CAN MAKE

When we started keeping illegal street racing involved death and injury statistics back in 2002, we were faced with an “epidemic” of illegal street racing activity in San Diego. We witnessed an untenable 16 deaths and 31 serious injuries directly attributed to illegal street racing involved crashes back in 2002. This translated to a combined mortality/morbidity rate of 49 per 1000. Interpreted, for every 1000 young people who choose to illegal street race in 2002, 49 were either killed or seriously injured. With the 2002 advent of San Diego's “Closing the Loop” approach to intervention that directly targeted San Diego illegal street racing activity, we began to see steady improvement in the years to follow.

In 2003 we witnessed a 79% improvement in combined injury and death with 4 killed and 6 seriously injured. 2004 recorded a 55% improvement with 6 killed and 15 seriously injured. To date in 2005 we have 3 serious injuries.

YOU made the difference. By “RACING TRACK, NOT STREET” you make San Diego a significantly safer community and spare the needless loss of young lives. Congratulations on behaving responsibly and see you at the “Q.”

SAN DIEGO IS A POOR CHOICE TO ILLEGAL STREET RACE

San Diego's “Closing the Loop” intervention designed to target the incidence of illegal street racing has proven tremendously successful. The latest SDPD Drag Net statistics indicate a 99% drop in the incidence of “organized” illegal street racing activity in San Diego. In addition we have witnessed a 79% and 55% improvement in illegal street racing related death and injury over the past two year period when compared to the baseline year of 2002.

San Diego's “spectator”and “forfeiture” ordinances are a world of hurt. Drag Net joined by BAR are still on the prowl. Street closures of popular illegal street racing sites are still in effect. Five recent gross vehicular manslaughter convictions with attendant prison time for illegal street races gone badly loom large.

Ask around and you'll find out that if you get busted for an illegal street racing violation (VC 23109) and you are looking at $5,000. plus in fines, repairs, impound costs, attorney fees and community service, not to mention the mega increase in your insurance costs.

Ask yourself, “Is it really worth it?” The fact that you have a real choice to “RACE TRACK, NOT STREET” with RaceLegal.com at the “Q” makes the right choice easy.

Be smart – Be part of the solution: RACE TRACK, NOT STREET!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 05:20 PM
The Ultimate Driving Machine

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
The East Coast has nothing to worry about right now. Yesterday, I reset my ecu 3 (yes, three) miles before my emissions test (no exhaust probe, just OBD-II test), knowing I had the Vehicle Speed Sensor Malf. code stored. I passed the fuggin emissions test and was dumbfounded. I couldn't believe it, and all I could say to the guy was thank you. At least 4-5 of the parts of the test were listed as "not ready", and it seemed like the only thing I did pass was the fact I had no codes stored (gee, I wonder how that happened), and that I had no CEL (another mystery...). Long live the East Coast
You had 4 not readys and they let you leave? At my work we have to have all of them ready accept one, and if its not ready we have to drive it until it is. Its a law here that you can only have one not ready on the emissions test.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
Sounds pretty ****, however their has to be more to it in order for law enforcement to start such a hard crackdown. What's the background, too many racing deaths? smog? noise? unsafe cars? It's easy to throw out some F%ucked up law going to be imposed and trash it, Who in Cali can tell us why???
If you follow the link to the original article, you will find out that this started as a way for the police departments to supplement their revenue from speeding tickets. Then it grew from there. I think the whole "illegal street racing" smoke screen is just your typical political spin to keep the general public complacent. It sure sounds a lot better than the "we're covering our budget shortfall so we're going to write more tickets" law.

I think people are really getting too bent out of shape over this. It doesn't say that any/all modifications are illegal. It says that certain modifications would allow cops to stop you and search for illegal stuff. I don't know CA law, but I don't think racing stickers themselves are illegal. It just draws the cops' attention and makes you a target, but then again it's been that way for red sports cars for years. So if you only have legal modifications and nothing else, you don't have to worry. Now, if you've modded your car and then still insist on carrying illegal immigrants or bags of weed in your trunk, then maybe you ought to consider going back to stock. Just a suggestion...

On the other hand, I do think this is typical political BS. OK, so in one year 16 out of 1000 kids died from illegal street racing. I mourn for their families, but at the same time, 300 out of 1000 kids die from homicide/suicide. Yes it is that high. These are the top two killers of teens/young adults under 24 years of age. So let's review: Invest $5 million to "get tough and crack down" on something that kills 1.6% of young adults, but ignore the causes that kill 20X more people. Welcome to reality. Politicians learned a long time ago that you can't ticket a suicidal or poor person and expect to be paid. But you can ticket rich kids to cover your excessive project overruns and "discretionary funds." As Chris Rock would say, it's OK for the brown man to drop like flies, but lord have mercy if a little rich white girl gets hurt.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ramberg
Too true. I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, "Activists protest against fur but not leather because it is easier to harass rich women than biker gangs."
Old 08-13-2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
At the same time, all these Harleys with seriously loud exhausts go right on by.
Noise restrictions on motorcycles are different than cars.
As long as you have a muffler, in some states, your exhaust can be very loud.
On my bike, I have an exhaust that produces 105 dB and I cruised next to a cop on a bike once. He didn't seem to mind.

Quick Reply: No More Mods for Cali Cars.