General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

No More Mods for Cali Cars.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by bigEL

I think people are really getting too bent out of shape over this. It doesn't say that any/all modifications are illegal. It says that certain modifications would allow cops to stop you and search for illegal stuff. I don't know CA law, but I don't think racing stickers themselves are illegal. It just draws the cops' attention and makes you a target, but then again it's been that way for red sports cars for years. So if you only have legal modifications and nothing else, you don't have to worry. Now, if you've modded your car and then still insist on carrying illegal immigrants or bags of weed in your trunk, then maybe you ought to consider going back to stock. Just a suggestion...
This is is my responce to this very same thread over on 3si.org

Originally Posted by Chris GTO TT
Because according to California Air Resourse Board you are guilty until they prove you innocent. That means that a performance engine part (intake and exhaust included) is against the law for use in the state of california until it meets the C.A.R.B.'s redicouls tests. Since most of the import scean is dominated by small companies doing independant research most cant afford the MILLIONS of dollars it takes to run a C.A.R.B. test, where as the domestic scean is dominated by a handfull of major players that can afford to run and pass a C.A.R.B. test.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:51 PM

the thing that gets too me, is that there are soo many performance manufacturerers there, and i mean cali is the king of states for ricing...man that has to hurt.

all the smart ppl will start to build sleepr cars now

Old 08-13-2005, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
Noise restrictions on motorcycles are different than cars.
As long as you have a muffler, in some states, your exhaust can be very loud.
On my bike, I have an exhaust that produces 105 dB and I cruised next to a cop on a bike once. He didn't seem to mind.
Seems like motorcycles and american muscle cars are EXPECTED to be loud and are therefore immune. Other "normal" cars aren't. That's the problem I think. A level playing field would be nice, but that's just wishful thinking.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
Noise restrictions on motorcycles are different than cars.

Well, that's part of the problem. Loud is loud, regardless of what type of vehicle is making it. That just goes to prove that the CA police aren't concerned with noise pollution and emissions regulation; they just want to harrass people for no good reason.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:18 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

If you follow the link to the original article, you will find out that this started as a way for the police departments to supplement their revenue from speeding tickets. Then it grew from there. I think the whole "illegal street racing" smoke screen is just your typical political spin to keep the general public complacent. It sure sounds a lot better than the "we're covering our budget shortfall so we're going to write more tickets" law.

I think people are really getting too bent out of shape over this. It doesn't say that any/all modifications are illegal. It says that certain modifications would allow cops to stop you and search for illegal stuff. I don't know CA law, but I don't think racing stickers themselves are illegal. It just draws the cops' attention and makes you a target, but then again it's been that way for red sports cars for years. So if you only have legal modifications and nothing else, you don't have to worry. Now, if you've modded your car and then still insist on carrying illegal immigrants or bags of weed in your trunk, then maybe you ought to consider going back to stock. Just a suggestion...

On the other hand, I do think this is typical political BS. OK, so in one year 16 out of 1000 kids died from illegal street racing. I mourn for their families, but at the same time, 300 out of 1000 kids die from homicide/suicide. Yes it is that high. These are the top two killers of teens/young adults under 24 years of age. So let's review: Invest $5 million to "get tough and crack down" on something that kills 1.6% of young adults, but ignore the causes that kill 20X more people. Welcome to reality. Politicians learned a long time ago that you can't ticket a suicidal or poor person and expect to be paid. But you can ticket rich kids to cover your excessive project overruns and "discretionary funds." As Chris Rock would say, it's OK for the brown man to drop like flies, but lord have mercy if a little rich white girl gets hurt.
Can't argue with that...
Old 08-14-2005, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by MaxxAddict
Seems like motorcycles and american muscle cars are EXPECTED to be loud and are therefore immune. Other "normal" cars aren't. That's the problem I think. A level playing field would be nice, but that's just wishful thinking.
any car over 20 years old in NJ can get Historic plates, and be as emission illegal as it can. Noisy too.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Christobal65
This is is my responce to this very same thread over on 3si.org
I will concede that in reality, my experience has been that you are often guilty until proven innocent. I got a rude awakening when I got my first speeding ticket ever, after almost fifteen years of clean driving. The kicker was that it happened during a Friday afternoon traffic jam. (It took 30 min. to go 2 mi.) Nevertheless, the cop in the next lane next cuts me off (just pushes right in without turn signals or lights/sirens), stops, gets out and writes me up for going 29 over in a 55 (the highest fine he could assess without having to do any real work, like arresting me or suspending my license). I had just moved to the state, so I think my out of state plates made me a target. Anyway, when I went to court, the judge literally said, "I've never met an innocent man in court. <stamp><stamp> Next!" That was the end of that; no presenting my case or witnesses or traffic reports or photographic evidence. The cop didn't even bother showing up. I won in appeals, but they never gave me back my money. I don't even know if they really removed the ticket from my record. Guess my point being that, in theory law abiding citizens shouldn't have anything to worry about, but in reality, we should be wary.

BTW, nice car in your sig.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:06 AM
GrandPa

Too true. I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, "Activists protest against fur but not leather because it is easier to harass rich women than biker gangs."
I wouldn't put that bumper sticker on my car with all the bikers in my area. lol
Old 08-15-2005, 04:08 AM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=bigEL]

You should go to the County clerk's office and check it out and make sure you get your money back.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:04 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by ramberg
I wouldn't put that bumper sticker on my car with all the bikers in my area. lol
No $hit, their reply would be a brick through your windshield...
Old 08-15-2005, 05:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
the thing that gets too me, is that there are soo many performance manufacturerers there, and i mean cali is the king of states for ricing...man that has to hurt.

It doesn't really hurt the manufacturers all that much. They just slap on a "for off-road use only" disclaimer.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
It doesn't really hurt the manufacturers all that much. They just slap on a "for off-road use only" disclaimer.
I think it will. I don't think it's that simple.

If police start cracking down, people aren't gonna mod as much.

Look at what happened to P2P music downloading when the feds got involved...
Old 08-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I could make a political comment right here but I will refrain and just say that california is retarded in general.
I will make one then, here comes **** america.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:42 PM

blech - i hate this crap. the max gets no attention, but i get rolled all the time in my SRT-4 (3" side exit- not even that loud, all you hear is a whistling sound) i was getting pulled over even when bone stock in that car. lame stuff right there..