General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Gas Theft... Victom yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 10:05 AM

Gas Theft... Victom yet?

Anybody had gas stolen yet? Has happened in my area... It's getting pretty damn valuable.

Has anyone picked up a locking gas cap?
Suggestions/Recommendations where?

I want to buy one before people start buying them up.

Thanks All
Old 08-16-2005, 10:23 AM

damn, next thing u know, they'll steal my Mobil 1 Synthetic... or coolant...
Old 08-16-2005, 10:30 AM

I havent seen any in or around my area, but i have been seeing on the news that there is a spike in gas theft from gas stations, i believe it spiked to somewhere around 86% this year compared to last.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:01 AM
scopium

maybe if the gas prices lowered and companies wouldnt be so damn greedy.. people wouldnt steal gas.. its $3.00 here in so cal for 89 octane and 3.15 for 91

Old 08-16-2005, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Skier
Anybody had gas stolen yet? Has happened in my area... It's getting pretty damn valuable.

Has anyone picked up a locking gas cap?
Suggestions/Recommendations where?

I want to buy one before people start buying them up.

Thanks All
Why do you need a locking gas cap? Your fuel door is already locked and can't be opened except with the button inside your car. A thief could pry that open, but by then, the damage has already been done so I don't think a locking gas cap would really help.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:53 PM
GrandPa

If this starts happening alot we are all screwed.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:55 PM

haha I had my gas syphered once. My car was parked in the school parking lot... The gas door was opened and the gas cap was on the floor. They took almost 1/4 tank.. And this was before the gas was this high...
Old 08-16-2005, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by scopium
maybe if the gas prices lowered and companies wouldnt be so damn greedy.. people wouldnt steal gas.. its $3.00 here in so cal for 89 octane and 3.15 for 91
I live a couple of blocks from Lakewood. I don't know where you are getting these prices. It's more like 2.80-2.85 for 91.

I get my 91 for about 2.55-2.75, I don't fuel up at the first gas station I see. And I don't go to the cheapest gas stations.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:42 PM

Damn.....What is this world coming to
Old 08-16-2005, 01:45 PM
scopium

Originally Posted by Brushedpewter
I live a couple of blocks from Lakewood. I don't know where you are getting these prices. It's more like 2.80-2.85 for 91.

I get my 91 for about 2.55-2.75, I don't fuel up at the first gas station I see. And I don't go to the cheapest gas stations.

i'm not talking about just lakewood.. yea its ok in lakewood
but in santa monica and other cities that my freinds live in. gas is just way too high

Old 08-16-2005, 02:34 PM

Thats sad that is comming to stealing gas. This is getting too ugly.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:14 PM

Man are u serious? These fools actually syphen gas outta your tanks! if you catch one by your car syphening gas out of your tank, kick him in the nuts from behind so he is caught off guard and chokes and swallows the gas! Thats pathetic! I mean i know gas prices are flippin ridiculous but dayuum! good luck hopefully none of you have to become a gas theft victim!
Old 08-16-2005, 04:16 PM

I remember it happened to an old lady here a couple years back...at least the power release gas caps are a little harder for gas thieves to open.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:42 PM

I use LoadJack XP Unleaded edition. If any fuel is stolen from my vehicle, it activates tracking molecules which are released when the fuel is burned. Although it was standard with the Maxima SiR, I imported it and installed it in my tank. :
Old 08-16-2005, 04:55 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

yea man, I stopped using the expensive windshield wash thinking someone will suck it up out my car..lol
Old 08-16-2005, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
Why do you need a locking gas cap? Your fuel door is already locked and can't be opened except with the button inside your car. A thief could pry that open, but by then, the damage has already been done so I don't think a locking gas cap would really help.

Locking gas cap means you still have your gas. Your choices are 1.) broken fuel door and no gas or 2.) broken fuel but still have gas

Yah, our station has been getting alot of people stealing lately, especially around lunch or rush hour. We have a big *** guy just stand outside and watch over everyone and catch the plates of people who try to run
Old 08-16-2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by rsly33
Locking gas cap means you still have your gas. Your choices are 1.) broken fuel door and no gas or 2.) broken fuel but still have gas

Yah, our station has been getting alot of people stealing lately, especially around lunch or rush hour. We have a big *** guy just stand outside and watch over everyone and catch the plates of people who try to run
People would steal before they start carpooling? This thread is pretty incredible. Not to mention that fuel is cheaper today than it was in the early 80's. Nothing like some mass hysteria to get us through as things go bump in the night. Then again, while everyone is experiencing double-digit housing gains, Ohio is actually declining. Maybe encourages thieves and desparation.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:18 PM

i'm not talking about just lakewood.. yea its ok in lakewood
but in santa monica and other cities that my freinds live in. gas is just way too high
Here is what I do.. I drive to another area and fuel up. A 5 mile drive is still cheaper than paying $3 a gallon a block away. Sometimes I refuel at night. You'd be surprised at how much you spend when you refuel at night.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by rsly33

How about option 3: Thieves will go after the easiest targets, cars with no locking fuel door. I'll save my money and take my chances with option 3.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:43 PM

or do this...don't really fill up ur tank.. drive with a sign tha says...i usually keep only 1/8 of my tank filled, if you do'nt believe me, the gas cap is arleady open so you can try to suck as much gas as you would like..-= )...i mean..right now i spend about $110 every week...but i tried sucking gas out of one of my old cars, n i couldn't seem to fit the hose all the way down, it gets like stuck or something...
Old 08-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Banned

They should just cover their plates and go drive off with a $40+ full tank at a busy gas station. Its less risky IMO.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:25 PM

i dont know if this is tru in all ur states, but dont u guys have to prepay before u can pump gas?? around here we cant even pump gas without paying first, they did away with those other pumps a couple years ago. and as for stealing gas, im sorry u have to go through with that guys...i've never had to experience that (knock on wood)...ahhh, the old days where gas was .99 cents per gallon at Racetrak...lol, bak then wen i saw $1.03 i was like hell noooooo
Old 08-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Way out West

My neighbor had a bunch of gas stolen Sunday night. He has an old truck without a locking gas cap. Where I live is pretty rural, so there are a lot of trucks with no locks and big gas tanks.

My Maxima and Infiniti both have doors that open from the inside, so I am not a very likely target. However, my old Dodge truck has a cheap locking cap that you could easily get off with a screwdriver, so I might get victimized there.

I think TXT-1 is right, though. There are so many cars and trucks that don't have any kind of lock that those will be targeted before one of our cars, unless you leave the door unlocked (so they can pop the gas door) or leave the gas door popped open.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:57 PM

I dont know what other state laws are but here in Ohio if you get caught stealing gas from a station you get your license taken away, so I dont think thats less risky than just trying to syphon from some random car.

Yah, a lot of stations around us have now started the prepay only and installed extra surveillance cameras around the station to catch the people who try to run.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
or do this...don't really fill up ur tank.. drive with a sign tha says...i usually keep only 1/8 of my tank filled, if you do'nt believe me, the gas cap is arleady open so you can try to suck as much gas as you would like..-= )...i mean..right now i spend about $110 every week...but i tried sucking gas out of one of my old cars, n i couldn't seem to fit the hose all the way down, it gets like stuck or something...
Or just put a sign in your window that says, "Too poor to afford gas." Who's going to doubt that?!

But seriously, modern gas tanks have baffles and anti-siphon catches, so you can't siphon gas out even if you wanted to. I tried this once when I ran out of gas while mowing my lawn. The hose only goes down a few inches and then gets stuck in the filler neck by one of the catches. Even if you got a hose down into the tank, the baffles prevent you from getting much. They were originally meant to prevent your fuel pump from going dry when you accelerated hard or took a sharp turn, but they also make stealing gas not worthwhile. But gas is cheap compared to say $4-6 for bottled water. Why don't people steal water? You don't need gas to live, but you sure do need water. (Sadly, I have seen people steal water when it's rationed during droughts.)
Old 08-16-2005, 11:33 PM
VIP Maxima

talk about $3.30 in sunset

Old 08-16-2005, 11:59 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

well we should be glad because in england gas is about 8-9 dollars to the gallon so im ok paying 2.75-3.25 for a gallon...just remember it could be worse.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
well we should be glad because in england gas is about 8-9 dollars to the gallon so im ok paying 2.75-3.25 for a gallon...just remember it could be worse.
Yes, what you say is true. Why I don't buy this thread is that although oil/gas has risen rapidly, I see no effort whatsoever in the USA to conserve, carpool, find alternate means, lower demand. Demand is higher than ever before. So to say the rapid increase is now turning people into criminals is ludicrious. Someone or some people have been watching too much war of the worlds.

Just go out and buy that Hummer/Escalade/F450 Super Duty and fill 'er up!
Old 08-17-2005, 05:35 AM

gas has been getting stolen for years. this isnt really new news or anything. my bet is that people will continue to steal everything like they do.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:15 AM

I remember when i still used to live in Ukraine... gas theft was very common. They would come to your car with a regular hose, gas tank and a screw driver and completely empty out your tank. Sometimes, for the hell of it they would pour water back it so that it would take you a while to figure out what happend. That was so messed up.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
i dont know if this is tru in all ur states, but dont u guys have to prepay before u can pump gas?? around here we cant even pump gas without paying first, they did away with those other pumps a couple years ago.
How does this work exactly...what if you pay for more than you can end up fitting in your car? There are some stations that require prepay, but only late at night.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:45 PM

often u cant really pay to fill up unless u have a debit or credit card at the pump, if u do wanna fill up u gotta hand them a 50 and tell them ur gonna fill up and that u dont know how much...wen u finish u go get ur change! but i never pay cash, only debit at the pump so i dont get that problem
Old 08-17-2005, 03:48 PM

often u cant really pay to fill up unless u have a debit or credit card at the pump, if u do wanna fill up u gotta hand them a 50 and tell them ur gonna fill up and that u dont know how much...wen u finish u go get ur change! but i never pay cash, only debit at the pump so i dont get that problem
hehe I have two words for you: North Philly

Doubt you'd have the problem anymore, but say in the old days when you could fill up in under $20. You'd give the cashier a $20, fill it up, and then go back inside to get what was left. I always found it funny that the cashier was behind bulletproof glass, and they would turn this thing that's like a miniature revolving door to give you the change. It'd be like the Money Train--only way to get the person out is to set fire to the booth.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Way out West

My dad has a Chevy Duramax diesel. The debit/credit at the pump thing maxes out at $50, so can only go to like 2/3 of a tank, since it takes so much and the diesel price is so high. He was telling me he has to get gas twice to fill it.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
Most of what England (and the rest of Europe for that matter) pays at the pump is all in TAXES. IIRC, England charges $3/gallon in federal tax (then probably more for state and local tax). I think our federal tax is around $.40/gallon and most state and local taxes add up to like another $.20. The cost of the gas is about the same, but they get raped on taxes. I don't feel "lucky" that our country isn't giving us the shaft. Well, they do a lot anyway, but not so much on gas.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:51 PM

Wow .......time to take out Saudi Arabia
Old 08-18-2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
Most of what England (and the rest of Europe for that matter) pays at the pump is all in TAXES. IIRC, England charges $3/gallon in federal tax (then probably more for state and local tax). I think our federal tax is around $.40/gallon and most state and local taxes add up to like another $.20. The cost of the gas is about the same, but they get raped on taxes. I don't feel "lucky" that our country isn't giving us the shaft. Well, they do a lot anyway, but not so much on gas.

Plus everything is a lot closer together over there than here. We put on a lot more miles driving around in the US which adds up to more fuel being consumed. We're still biting the bullet harder. IMO
Old 08-18-2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by 96explorerxlt
Plus everything is a lot closer together over there than here. We put on a lot more miles driving around in the US which adds up to more fuel being consumed. We're still biting the bullet harder. IMO
I don't think we're biting any bullets here. We have it easy. We don't like another country, we just tell them there money's no good. Take that Unocal deal for example, the Chinese offered $5 more per share, but they nixed the deal. Meanwhile the Chinese and Russians are practicing war games together while we're at the beach in our rented shore homes.

All kidding aside, this country has a relatively low cost-of-living. Anyone who wants to work/study hard can have anything they want within reason. But we're not biting any bullets.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:46 PM

You know someone will just take a small drill and make a hole in the bottom of a car's tank and drain out the gas.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:59 PM

I wouldn't be suprised to find out about more people stealing gas. It's finally reached $2.75 for 87 here and the cheapest I've found 91 is $2.85. I fill up at least twice a week, these gas prices are kiling me.

Quick Reply: Gas Theft... Victom yet?