General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Speeding Ticket...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 01:39 AM

Speeding Ticket...

Not sure if this is the correct forum for something like this, so I apologize in advance if this is not the right place, but here goes.
I am on my way to pick up a friend from the airport (Denver Internation Airport) when out of nowhere I see this cop pull up behind me, he tails me for about 10 seconds, and then turns on his lights and pulls me over. Anyways a long story short, he gives me a 4 point $68 ticket for doing 86 in a 70. In the state of Colorado you can pay the ticket no later than 20 days after it is issued and get the points reduced by x amount, in my case by 2. Being as I am still under my parents insurance and a 20 year old college student, the new insurance rates are going to kill me. Paying the fine is not that big of a deal, it is basically the insurance costs that are going to hurt me in the long run.
So my question to you all is, what do you think I should do?

1. Pay the ticket and forget about the whole thing.
2. Go to court and try to get a decent plea bargain from the DA.
3. Plead not guiltly and go to trial and get a lawyer and the whole 9 yards.

Please do keep in mind that this is my first moving violation. Althought I have no idea if that will matter or not to the DA or Judge, but it might be worth something. Also, if anyone has any information with regards to the state of Colorado, as far as if they allow traffic school, or if you can request defered adjudication...anotherwords, pay the fine and if you dont get another citation in say...3 months (or the time the judge sets), they dismiss the ticket.

Any information yall can provide would be greatly appericated. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Thanks Again, Derek
Old 08-31-2005, 04:34 AM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=Badali05]
3. [B]Plead not guiltly and go to trial and get a lawyer and the whole 9 yards.[/B]

I don't know the traffic laws in your state. Check out your dmv website to see if they have traffic school. If they do pay the fine and go to school. If not plead not guilty and take your chances. They may have lawyers there like in Florida who will get you no points even if you have to pay the fine. Good luck and let me know what happens. I just found this site for you. Warren

http://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/traffic-school.php
Old 08-31-2005, 09:23 AM

Plead not guilty and go to court. You won't need a lawyer they should reduce it especially if it is your first time. People who get lawyers for traffic court end up getting the same reduction as people who just plead not guilty and show up.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:31 PM

Thanks alot for your opinions guys. And also thanks for that website ramberg it was extremely helpful. I was for the most part leaning towards going to traffic court anyways, because from what I have heard, the DA or Judge almost always tried to keep people out of going to trial by giving them a decent plea bargain.

Thanks, Derek
Old 08-31-2005, 05:49 PM
GrandPa

Good luck and let me know what happens. Warren
Old 09-01-2005, 05:38 PM

Traffic school, it will save you a ton of money
Old 09-02-2005, 04:27 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Badali05
So my question to you all is, what do you think I should do?

1. Pay the ticket and forget about the whole thing.
Pay it within the 20 days and you've got your reduced points. Then slow down so you can avoid speeding tickets in the future.