General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

some basic lowering questions to ask

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 11:14 AM

some basic lowering questions to ask

- on average, how long or how many miles do aftermarket springs and shocks last? lets say for normal driving, staying within speed limits, easy on the acceleration...etc.

- what else is needed to lower a car besides new springs and shocks?

- average cost for new eibach springs or pro kit and good shocks, and how much for installation from a repuatable shop?

- if lowering a car only 1-1.5 inches, are alignments mandatory or optional, if no alignments are need, will it hurt to go into a shop and get one anyway?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Blown

Originally Posted by maxima2k2
- on average, how long or how many miles do aftermarket springs and shocks last? lets say for normal driving, staying within speed limits, easy on the acceleration...etc.

- average cost for new eibach springs or pro kit and good shocks, and how much for installation from a repuatable shop?

- if lowering a car only 1-1.5 inches, are alignments mandatory or optional, if no alignments are need, will it hurt to go into a shop and get one anyway?
I am not positive how long the stock struts will last, I am sure it varies, but I would say around 100k.

Springs are the only thing you need to lower the car but most people get new struts too because lowering springs normally blow out stock struts very quickly. Also you should go ahead and get a new set of bump stops, and dust boots if yours are torn.

I am guessing a decent set of struts and a set of eibach's will run you around 500 if you get everything new, and I think shops charge around 150-200 to lower a car, but if you are handy you can do it yourself with the help of a friend.

You will def need an alignment after you lower the car.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Old Maxima Legend

i have eibach and kyb's and im going on 2 years with them, car still handles great.. also will need new dust boots, dont get kyb mine were crap. also change the mounts out.

your good to go !
Old 09-02-2005, 01:32 PM
The Definitive AE Master

there is no specific formula as to the x amount of time a shock or spring will last on a car.

can't imagine anything else lowering a car after lowering springs and new shocks

eibach springs will probably be around $150, new struts vary depending on if you want dampening adjustability or whatnot (kyb, tokico blues, etc). Installation costs depend where you are located, here in CA prices start at $80 dollars.

alignment is highly recommend IMO when any lowering is done
Old 09-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You get what you pay for. Therefore, have a local .org member help you do the install, you pay for meals and drinks, and be satisfied that it's done by a fellow enthusiast that pays attention to details.

Is $150 for new eibachs? Where at? I'mma need some. Nissan, Eibach, Sprint, Tien say springs don't wear out and don't need to be replaced like struts do.

When you get your struts, get it from a good store that will honor lifetime warranties. I got my tokico illuminas from Stillen (on sale) and they have been good to me so far. I didn't get rock-bottom price like I would if I ordered from an online source (like ebay), but the few extra dollars covers for service.

When I called Eibach, they said no alignment was necessary for 4th gens, but recommended. There's another thread asking if swapping struts calls for an alignment. There's some debate.

Jae
Old 09-05-2005, 09:09 PM
KH3 by popular demand

on Tokico Illuminas, you can't beat a lifetime warranty. If you don't really want to keep hunting for springs just get the Illumina kit that comes with the springs. I would get an alignment to be safe afterwards.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
If you don't really want to keep hunting for springs just get the Illumina kit that comes with the springs.
For reals. As far as I know, companies that make springs for 4th gens tested the springs on stock Nissan struts. Pairing aftermarket springs with anything else may produce results that the spring company never intended.

Ground Controls are a different breed. They tested their springrates with quite a few struts.

I would go with Tokico if I had the opportunity since the springs were developed specifically for their illumina struts.

Jae
Old 09-06-2005, 06:00 PM

Any time you touch the suspension an alignment will be needed Period.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by maxima2k2

2K2,
I went the coilover route. It's a set of springs and shocks rolled into one package. Most coilovers are fully adjustable (height, preload, dampening) which gives u a lot of options. Unfortunately there are some downsides as opposed to springs and struts. Coilovers are expensive, running any where from 900-2000+. They also tend to be pretty stiff, which is some thing u will have to contend with no matter what route u choose..i.e.nothing will ride as smooth a stock. Just so u know what u are getting into.

P.S. Camber becomes a problem if u don't get camber plates...just my .02