General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

..So I got pulled over by the cops on Prom night...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 05:19 PM

I was in the Maxima, driving to the location where our prom was being held. I had my date, and two other friends in the car. Now I was driving in a new area <to me> and it was pretty complicated. I'm used to driving the suburbs with straight roads and normal perpendicular intersections. So driving on O'Conner Rd was new to me. <Whoever lives in Toronto, should know what Im talking about>.

So I come up to this weird intersection where on the left lane O'Connor turns into Broadview. There's a right lane being split going to Don Mills. I wasn't sure which way to go, and I was in my right lane at the time. So being in the right lane I followed the path that goes to O'Connor. Now this was my mistake because that was a right-turn lane only, and I went straight <or left..depends how you look at it>. This caused the cops to turn on their signal and follow me. According to them, it took me around 1km before I finally realized that they wanted me to pull over <this I didn't believe, but didn't want to argue with a cop on prom night>.

So he pulls me over and explains to me that I didn't obey the sign which said it was a right-turn lane only. < I didn't notice the sign so it's my fault, which I agree with >. And he says that he was flashing his lights 1 km ago, which I don't agree with. He also said that my music was probably too loud, so I turn on the stock BOSE system to show him how loud it was <which was my mistake really> Now the music wasn't really loud, I mean I have a stock system, nothing crazy like other guys on the street. He said that playing music that loud was a offense I can get a ticket for it.

In the end, I just got a warning. He said that giving me a ticket for ignoring the right-turn lane is really stupid, and especially that it was on prom night. So I'm pretty happy that I just got off with a warning, but on the other hand, I don't really want a warning on my record either. I've had a clean record ever since I got my license and I would like to keep it that way!!

This has the been the first time that I have been pulled over by the police, hopefully it will be my last. I was polite and courtesous the whole time though. Followed everything he said, etc..

That has been my story of the day.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:16 PM

prom

It happens to everyone. When you are in a new location, especially when distracted in a new situation (like prom night) your chance of making a mistake on the road goes way up. Glad the "mistake" didn't lead to an accident.
Old 06-01-2001, 06:21 PM

That's true I guess, luckily there weren't any cars near me, plus I did check the lanes beside me before I made that intersection.

Oh well..not much I can do about it now. After that though, I drove real careful! Kept an eye on all signs and followed the speed limit. I thought it wasn't possible, but it is if your scared of getting a ticket! It happened before prom started too..so that kinda put a dark cloud on the whole night.

Atleast prom was fun! And I didn't even touch any liquor, but I don't enjoy drinking anyway, so it didn't matter. You'd be surprised how funny drunk people act! Some of them were dancing on top of the tables, etc..
Old 06-01-2001, 06:27 PM

Didnt wanna get a limo?
Old 06-01-2001, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by GoLdEn MaX
Didnt wanna get a limo?
Nah man..I wanted to drive! The Limo just spoils the experience, atleast for me. Plus I wanted to show off the Maxima! If I'm driving my car, I have the freedom of going to whatever after-parties I want to, etc..and since I don't drink, I don't really miss out on the drinking factor.

I looked pretty tight in my suit, coming out of the Max.

Yes, I have an unhealthy obsession with my Maxima. I spent 2 hours before prom just cleaning/waxing it. I only spent 30mins making myself ready! Oh well..what can ya do!
Old 06-01-2001, 07:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Its mAdD INDIAN from the AT:OT forums isn't it?!?!?!

werd!!!

Glad you did not get the ticket... Hey do the Max's have the stearing wheel on the other side up there in Canada?
Old 06-01-2001, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by todamax
Its mAdD INDIAN from the AT:OT forums isn't it?!?!?!

werd!!!

Glad you did not get the ticket... Hey do the Max's have the stearing wheel on the other side up there in Canada?
its not really on either side... the steering wheel is in the middle. you call that Canadian drive. and btw we all live in igloos and you see polar bears walking around streets outside!
Old 06-01-2001, 08:04 PM

yeah..its mAdD INDIAN from the AT:OT forums..

How'd you know? What's your nick on AT:OT??

How'd you know we got steering wheels on the other side in Canada man? We got engines in the back, and AWD standard on all cars man! Hell some even have slides coming out of it to help steer in snow!

<damn, I love these smilies>
Old 06-01-2001, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by mAdD MAX
yeah..its mAdD INDIAN from the AT:OT forums..

How'd you know? What's your nick on AT:OT??

How'd you know we got steering wheels on the other side in Canada man? We got engines in the back, and AWD standard on all cars man! Hell some even have slides coming out of it to help steer in snow!

<damn, I love these smilies>

I'm RGN. I have seen you in the "What kind of car should I get for $xxxxx.xx?" threads.

For the other people on this board, the place we are refering to is the Anandtech Forums at http://forums.anandtech.com
Old 06-01-2001, 08:22 PM

Whaassup !

oh ok...u're a nissan fan? didn't know that.

How;d u know i go as madd max over here though? I dont think I mentioned that in AT.
Old 06-01-2001, 08:28 PM

Whaassup !

oh ok...u're a nissan fan? didn't know that.

How;d u know i go as madd max over here though? I dont think I mentioned that in AT.
I think in a recent thread we both posted for the askee to come here to learn about Maxima's. I saw the spelling of mADd and put 2 and two together.

Yea, I'm a Max fan. I've got a 93' GXE that I just put Tokico's and Eibach's on. I'm even more impressed now.

Old 06-01-2001, 08:36 PM
Banned

a warning will not go on your record... if it did, you insurance would not be affected
Old 06-01-2001, 08:43 PM

Oh ok..yeah I use 'mAdD' in any of my screen names on the 'net. Usually its mAdD INDIAN, but for Maxima, I changed it a little.

Ryan: Are you sure the warning doesn't go on the record? I know it doesn't affect insurance, but I thougth it still went on. hmm..well I'll still keep on telling myself that its on my record, that way I will follow all traffic laws while driving.
Old 06-01-2001, 08:50 PM
Banned

im almost positive that it doesnt go on your record.... i think the cop runs your plates and thats it.. they dont write anything down. I have had three speeding tickets and still have a clean record accroding to my insurance co. As long as its 14mph or under they dont count according to State Farm
Old 06-01-2001, 08:53 PM

Wow, two Ryan's in this thread. And they both have 93 Max's (I think...)

Unless it's different in Canada a Warning won't be on your record permanently.
Old 06-01-2001, 09:32 PM

can you get a ticket for turning a corner too fast? say the street has a 40km/h speed limit I cruise on 40km/h then decide to turn right without slowing down into a 40km/h street... can they give me a ticket for this?
Old 06-01-2001, 10:20 PM

Yes, you can get a ticket for it

Yes, wreckless driving - just like they can do for lots of other things.

No, in the US warnings do not and cannot go on your record, my friends dad is a Major (very high up) and he knows for a fact that it doesnt.
Old 06-02-2001, 02:11 AM

positive ...

Ryan: Are you sure the warning doesn't go on the record? I know it doesn't affect insurance, but I thougth it still went on. hmm..well I'll still keep on telling myself that its on my record, that way I will follow all traffic laws while driving.
Positive that a warning doesn't go on record ... keep it clean buddy! Trust me ... your wallet will thank u!
Old 06-02-2001, 09:44 AM

Thanks for all the responses guys! I'm gonna be following on the traffic rules from now on! No speeding! <lets see how long that goes>

Cause if I get one ticket, my parent's aren't gonna pay for insurance...which means I'll have to pay for it! Pretty good motivation to keep me driving slowly!
Old 06-02-2001, 12:10 PM
dkbl97SE

Yes, I have an unhealthy obsession with my Maxima. I spent 2 hours before prom just cleaning/waxing it. I only spent 30mins making myself ready! Oh well..what can ya do!
Sounds just like me, except I spent 3 hours on the car, and 15 minutes on myself!!

Old 06-02-2001, 06:51 PM

thats just a verbal warning... meaning "if i see you doing something wrong again, youre getting a ticket for it" he probably didnt even take your insurance/license/registration back to his car did he? dont worry about it man especially if it wasnt near where you live its like it never even happened, wait a second, what happened? ehh forget it lol
Old 06-02-2001, 07:27 PM

Yeah he took my license and registration/insurance back to his car. That's why I'm thinking he noted it down on his laptop.

btw, cop cars are hype..they got this neat laptop right next to the drivers.
Old 06-02-2001, 07:44 PM

he probably took it to the car to make sure everything was cool and all... what if he pulled someone over then let them go and later found out it was a stolen car or something? or maybe he checked your record and since you had a clean one he let it slide... if you had a lot of violations maybe he wouldnt have, probably that kind of stuff but its safe, you shouldnt worry about anything
Old 06-02-2001, 08:20 PM

yeah probably..he probably checked to make sure the car wasn't stolen. Cause seeing a brown guy driving a '99 shiny black Maxima with tint rings the alert bell in most Cop's mind.

I know, cause my friend was got pulled over for nothing. They just asked to see his license and registration, and followed him home.

A lot of brown guys in Toronto steal cars, and they seem to give us a bad name.