General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Is this soppuse to happen??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 06:03 PM

Is this soppuse to happen??

I got a 96 max 5 speed.

when I drive in fist maby like 10 mph and I let go of the gas my car feels like
it want to stop. and when I put my foot back on the gas it start jumping like I when you let go of the clutch to fast

can any one give me a feed back
Old 11-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Driving is the next best thing

If I understand you correctly you just use your throttle too abruptly. Cars with manual transmissions are more sensitive to throttle inputs.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:25 PM

ohhhh, so is like that. well I got another problem. I think my gas pedal be getting stuck some times.

sometimes when I'm slowing down to a spot sign I press the brakes and hold the clutch and switch it to 1st. I'm not on the gas at all and my RPM be stuck on 1 and a half for maby 5 second or on till i release the clutch
Old 11-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is it soppuse to be spelt like this?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:59 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by Nickel
ohhhh, so is like that. well I got another problem. I think my gas pedal be getting stuck some times.

sometimes when I'm slowing down to a spot sign I press the brakes and hold the clutch and switch it to 1st. I'm not on the gas at all and my RPM be stuck on 1 and a half for maby 5 second or on till i release the clutch
that's normal for maximas.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by tavarish
that's normal for maximas.
oh, can that burn my clutch???
Old 11-08-2005, 05:27 PM

I have the same jerky movement when I'm in first going slow and I slowly hit the gas, so maybe that's normal...As far as going into 1st when you're stopping at a STOP sign I assume you meant, stop putting the car in 1st to stop
Old 11-08-2005, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nickel
oh, can that burn my clutch???
as long as you have the clutch pedal depressed fully, it won't do anything to your car....

now as to the original topic, i have this as well....say, for example, i'm sitting in traffic (which i do every freaking day now because of the hurricane) and i start it out slowly in 1st gear, and fully release the clutch...now i have to leave my foot EXACTLY where it is on the throttle, because if i don't, the car will rock violently back and forth....in traffic, i usually just leave my foot BARELY touching the gas pedal so that my RPMs stay constant at around 1200 RPMs, and i'm just at a steady roll like in an automatic...now if i ever release my foot, even though it's such a small difference, the car still shakes...the same goes for if i apply any more throttle....to avoid this i have to depress the clutch before adjusting my foot on the throttle...is that normal? do my motor mounts need to be replaced?
Old 11-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think it's just that first gear is, uh, geared like that? It's like that in all 5 spds, and max's 1st is taller than some (hondas), so the 'jerkiness' isn't too bad. If it wasn't geared like this, if you started out on a hill, it would feel like a bogging tercel. Just baby the throttle in first, or put the clutch in to coast in traffic.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
as long as you have the clutch pedal depressed fully, it won't do anything to your car....

now as to the original topic, i have this as well....say, for example, i'm sitting in traffic (which i do every freaking day now because of the hurricane) and i start it out slowly in 1st gear, and fully release the clutch...now i have to leave my foot EXACTLY where it is on the throttle, because if i don't, the car will rock violently back and forth....in traffic, i usually just leave my foot BARELY touching the gas pedal so that my RPMs stay constant at around 1200 RPMs, and i'm just at a steady roll like in an automatic...now if i ever release my foot, even though it's such a small difference, the car still shakes...the same goes for if i apply any more throttle....to avoid this i have to depress the clutch before adjusting my foot on the throttle...is that normal? do my motor mounts need to be replaced?
0k I get it now, so lets say I switch to fisrts and I put the clutch all the way down and rub the engine, wood it burn the clutch den?
Old 11-08-2005, 06:40 PM

I got used to it and it no longer jerks. I think that's normal for manuals
Old 11-08-2005, 10:48 PM
I Broke OT

Originally Posted by LA02MAX

that's a pretty good explanation. is this just because 1st gear is so torquey? (sp)
Old 11-09-2005, 05:24 AM

Mine jerks all over the damn place.

SHIFT_jerk
Old 11-09-2005, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
that's a pretty good explanation. is this just because 1st gear is so torquey? (sp)
Sort of, but I can’t come up with the better explanation. With lightened flywheel it gets even worse…