General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

?: Possible to fit intercooler for SC max?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001, 06:18 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Halo.
i might be getting a free intercooler from and old supercharged Ford car, its relatively compact in size and would fit nicely in the front. just curious if i could pipe this baby up to my. um.... "secret" mod for my car. MWahuauhah... if you haven't heard already, i'll be getting this *secret* mod just as soon as Fmax 96 (identity has been replaced to protect the innocent) sends it to me.

well. call me a monkey's uncle, fry my chicken, and buckle my shoe if this idea is even plausable!

And skimax, no more bending over infront of me when we're walking together.. its starting to scare me.

--Ches

*woohoo*
Old 06-02-2001, 06:44 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I'm pretty sure it can be done, but don't ask me how to do it
Old 06-02-2001, 07:19 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

i know adam "MY4DSC" is running an intercooler w/ his SC...2K max though...shouldn't be much different...
Old 06-02-2001, 09:07 AM
My 4DSC

Originally posted by Chris91SE
i know adam "MY4DSC" is running an intercooler w/ his SC...2K max though...shouldn't be much different...
Nah...i havent installed mine yet...
Still trying to decide how i wanna do it...

Old 06-02-2001, 10:46 AM

I believe SteveChicagoSC has a front mounted intoercooler in his car.
Old 06-02-2001, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by Chebosto
Halo.
i might be getting a free intercooler from and old supercharged Ford car, its relatively compact in size and would fit nicely in the front. just curious if i could pipe this baby up to my. um.... "secret" mod for my car. MWahuauhah... if you haven't heard already, i'll be getting this *secret* mod just as soon as Fmax 96 (identity has been replaced to protect the innocent) sends it to me.

well. call me a monkey's uncle, fry my chicken, and buckle my shoe if this idea is even plausable!

And skimax, no more bending over infront of me when we're walking together.. its starting to scare me.

--Ches

*woohoo*
i think turbo95max has one? im not sure.
Old 06-02-2001, 11:10 AM
nullman

I plan on getting the supercharger, so I’ve been wondering the same thing. I just don’t see how to get the piping around the radiator to go to the intercooler and back. I’ll ask my local performance shop if they have any ideas next time I go there. If anybody manages to do it, please let us know.

Old 06-02-2001, 11:13 AM

Cheston, werent we talkin bout this? Im gettin a spare stock mr2 intercooler.. gonna take it to fabtech n see what they can do.
Old 06-02-2001, 11:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Chebosto
Halo.

--Ches

*woohoo*

LOL Fmax96, haha.

A friend of mine has a 89 max with a custom Turbo on it and he has a intercooler. What he did was move his battery into the trunk and and put a real hood scoop right over where the battery use to be, next he stuck a not so large intercooler where the battery was and now the hood scoop shoots tons of cold air into the intercooler. I think it looks and works awesome. It's different too.
Old 06-02-2001, 12:29 PM

there was a Maxima up in Canada with a similar setup...an air to air IC located where the battery used to be.
I know it might be more complex, but why not place a Vortech air/water Aftercooler in the place of the battery? that way you can run ice water at the track
Old 06-02-2001, 12:39 PM
Administrator

TurboMax said the Turbo Intercooler and the S/C Intercooler are a bit different.. I would check it out first..

wait you said the ford was SC.. i guess that should be fine
Old 06-02-2001, 02:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

intercooler

relocate the battery, cut out the center of the front bumper, run the throttle body side piping to the corner where the battery was, mount blow off valve(and mafs) on that side, run the piping down through the corners(both sides), and into the front bumper, the turns to the intercooler, on both sides can be located in sight through the fog light area, with out fog lights. the boost will be lower as much as 1 lb, depending on the intercooler, so then you could raise it by changing pulley size. also you can use a water cooled intercooler, mounted in the battery area. i am going to cut out my bumper, next year. the bumper is easy to cut, no metal. it cosists of plastic, foam, and hard plastic.