General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Auto-X and the Max

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001, 08:09 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Whew! i just had a full day of Auto-X School. from 8am until 6pm. all day racing. let me tell you the exprience is one-of-a-kind.
my suspension set up right now is Sprint with Koni adjustables, and my TSW 17x8 REvos with Yokohama AVS intermediates. and boy oh boy can this car handle.

the rears are set on full stiff, which, as it turned out from the skidpad test, wasn't such a great idea. as it made the rear wheel "skip" as i turned hard over.

the front konis, which are **** adjustable, i tried the skid pad on three different settings.

HARD: the car skipped alot and was difficult to handle (full turn)

Medium: this is probably the best of the three. this setting, Full still minus 1.5 tuns from max: is very good.

Full soft (zero turns) this is good, BUT the nose dips alot and there is SEVERE rolling on the tires due to the body roll.

in the full course practice, the maxima was damn quick.. i was matching times of NSX and CRXs. with a 41.1s (the practice lap was really a gimme tho) in comparison, at this Novice school, CRXs were running 37-43, Acura TL: 44, Mugen Type-R: 44, 45, so dont count the max out. (i got times of: 47 (first run, no instructor),45 (with instructor),44 (instructor driving), 41 (solo),41 (solo) ,42 (solo))

tomorrow, day 2 of the Auto-X school, is a full on competition for the novices and we'll be graded based on following the line, speed, and time.

as far as tire pressure goes. Fronts were set at 41 cold, and heated up nicely to 45 warm. (there was overcast and drizzle today in irvine) and the rears were set at 32 cold, and rose to 36.
the tires had minimal roll when it came down to the course, but i did lock the tires on several occations (skidding out of the "finish line" and plowing in to like 12 cones.. twice... (but hence the 41,41 times. )

my thoughts: what 4 door? This max rocks. and many people came up to me and asked that i had in it because with my hybprid PR top/ SI filter, the car growled like a v8...
also met a fellow member of Maxima.org there. Jeff. in a white 2k max. nice fellow. he ran full interior, full audio system, i give him props.

aite. well. jsut wanted to share with you my day.

my yokos are chunked to hell. but :P eh. what are new tires for anyway?
i just hope i can auto-X with the blower in...

--Cheston
Old 06-02-2001, 08:28 PM

sounds sweet

I wish I had some suspension mods. I really need the RSB for auto-X so I'm told. One thing is to make sure you are running in STS class...you get a better handicap than in GS. You're gonna be in trouble with that blower in though...you'll have to move up to Street Mod.
Old 06-03-2001, 02:02 AM

Ohhhh man Cheston... sounds like you had some fun. I need to get into some Auto-X.